What was MJ better at singing or dancing?

I will put my head in the guillotine and say that he was a better dancer. Michael's voice is wonderful and I love it, but I've heard people sing better as far as technical execution goes #sorrynotsorry lol. BUT I will say Michael has one of the most, if not THE most unique voices I've ever heard. It's like it's high and low at the same time with this gorgeous, strong vibrato... :swoon: :wub:

IMO being a better technical singer DOES NOT equal being a better all around singer.
Look at Whitney Houston.
She had a few sour notes here and there, but she is still regarded as one of the best singers to ever do it, and is also still a huge inspiration to many singers today, even ones that may be better technical singers then herself.
To me being able to convey emotions through your music is more important then being pitch perfect, and very few if any other all around entertainers can/could emote like Michael.

Hmm, in HWT and DWT his voice was.. well, but his dance was perfect for all the time.

His voice was great during DWT. I Just Can't Stop Loving You, She's Out Of My Life, J5 Medley, Billie Jean, Working Day And Night and Beat It, and the ad libs from Man In The Mirror were great

Last edited:
His voice was great during DWT. I Just Can't Stop Loving You, She's Out Of My Life, J5 Medley, Billie Jean, Working Day And Night and Beat It were great

Well, but still compering to BWT or earliers isn't so good. He coudn't do his best with Wanna be starting something in DWT.

On tour he was singing really well when we wasn't dancing, eg. "I just can't stop loving you" or "Earth song". He also sounded good when he sang some tune during interview etc. I'm not musically educated, but I recon that we can't say that he wasn't a good singer.
But to be honest, simultaneous dancing and singing wasn't as good as only singing. Obviously I can understand that, because I can only image how physically demanding his shows were. Despite in 1997 he usually used playback, he sang some parts live, also music was live, and I appreciate it very much.
Notice that he had really wide range of voice. He could sing low, but also very high, what was his big advantage.
To end with, I think that he was good, but not spectacular singer, but incredible dancer, performer and artist.

Well, but still compering to BWT or earliers isn't so good. He coudn't do his best with Wanna be starting something in DWT.

In my opinion Bad Tour 88/89 are not that far off in quality from the Dangerous Tour. In the 87 leg his voice was smooth, crisp and perfect and he combined dancing with singing perfectly but from the 88 leg onward his voice was more strained and rougher and that was also evident on the DWT and subsequent tours. Compare Billie Jean from Wembley to Billie Jean from munich 1992 and you'll see that his singing was actually better in Munich.

It's the combination that does the trick. Both his singing and his dancing is perfect. The first supports the latter and the other way around. No need to choose though.

Michael was definitely a master of both. To sing in perfect tune you almost have to stand stationary, take a small jump & you immediately go out of tune. The same is true the other way round, you become breathless after few minutes of dance & won't be able to sing. Michael did both in correct proportions to put up a great show overall.

That's a really hard one. That's like choosing who is the favourite among your kids. But if I had to choose then I say that he was a better singer than dancer but only just. He was great at both.

anigif_enhanced-29941-1427413465-2.gif

Back