What was the best song Michael released in the 1980s?

I think one of his greatest songs was Thriller (yes I know it is basic) but honestly the music video, the song, the choreography was really a THRILLER! It helped cement his reputation as a respected artist and gave him the publicity that helped his career! Plus every Halloween the radio stations play his song.

So, he created a masterpiece with a little movie to go with the song ( which no one had ever done before) and now every Halloween, Thriller is sung by millions! Amazing!!!

I think one of his greatest songs was Thriller (yes I know it is basic) but honestly the music video, the song, the choreography was really a THRILLER! It helped cement his reputation as a respected artist and gave him the publicity that helped his career! Plus every Halloween the radio stations play his song.
Yeah that's true.
So, he created a masterpiece with a little movie to go with the song ( which no one had ever done before) and now every Halloween, Thriller is sung by millions! Amazing!!!
This is a true genius mindset

It's incredible to think of the 1980's and only pick one song.

Michael released classic after classic during this period. Such an incredible high quality amount of legendary tracks to pick from.

It's not my favourite but Billie Jean is by far the best

Ok so my personal favorite is someone in the dark because I never heard an artist sing a song better than the way MJ sings this song.
but
The best track arguably is beat it, it had a message ahead of its time and also timeless, on top of that it fused pop with rock and it proved Michael was willing to work with artists of completely different genres. The fusion in itself wasn’t new but the heavy metal solo in a pop song was pretty out there. It was thinking out of the box

But I would also like to nominate thriller because this song too was thinking out of the box with the entire mini movie presentation it got. It changed the landscape of music videos forever. He worked with a renowned horror director and fused film with music and that was special. The song featured sounds never before heard on a pop record on that scale. On top of that it featured a spoken segment that was completely original at the time by none other than horror icon Vincent Price.

And last but not least Billie Jean. It has the most instantly recognizable intro of all time and it never NEVER fails to inspire people to start dancing in a bar or club. On top of that it introduced the moonwalk to the world, a term and move everybody in the entire world associates with Michael and Michael only. It also started was the start of associating costumes with a certain song so both fashion and music got fused. Billie jean with different clothes feels like a pool without water.

So with Michael it is not just about the song, he thinks way beyond that, he was way more ambitious than your average artist. He is the architect of modern pop music.
He revolutionized a genre like what black sabbath did for Metal music and Miles Davis for Jazz and Bob Dylan for folk etc.

Bad is pretty iconic too. The song itself. We never talk about it.

Yes I’d like to know more about the creation of this. One of the funkiest sounds he created, each instrument or melody individually is super catchy in itself. It is indeed not often talked about while undoubtedly iconic and universally known as an MJ standard.

Yes I’d like to know more about the creation of this. One of the funkiest sounds he created, each instrument or melody individually is super catchy in itself. It is indeed not often talked about while undoubtedly iconic and universally known as an MJ standard.
Yeah, it's pretty taken for granted. It's got the same energy of Thriller but with a whole new vibe.

It has an important meaning, is still relevant and it is an uptempo song that makes you feel good. What more can you ask for. Now tell me, can you feel it?
It has also a very catchy chorus, a powerful instrumentation, and a very emotional, vocal delivery from Michael Jackson (around 04:27, he even cries out of joy).

Back