What was the reaction of people when Hollywood Tonight demo first leaked and Fans got to know about the lyric change?

ProBoi990

Yearning For GYWOOM
Country
India
Just really curious about reaction of people over the dumbest thing the dumb estate did lmao.

Not that I agree with it, but I personally understood the change. The song wasn't complete and somewhat vague in the demo form and that one line is quite cutting and it's out of nowhere. To a degree it changes the entire narrative of the song. Maybe had the bridge been vocally complete, it would have had more of a resolution.

Perhaps had it been included it would have distracted people from one of the best songs on the album

*sorry to answer your question, I think the reaction was a mixture of disappointment/Teddy bashing and some fans understanding because its a somewhat uncomfortable thought.

So I missed this whole topic.. what did they change exactly..?

And what would the final version would have been in terms of style you think? The version on 'Michael', as well as the demo, sounds pretty 'neutral' imho: not like any of his other work, or maybe a sort of boring version of Billie Jean

And what would the final version would have been in terms of style you think? The version on 'Michael', as well as the demo, sounds pretty 'neutral' imho: not like any of his other work, or maybe a sort of boring version of Billie Jean
The original demo has a line at the end of the 2nd verse (iirc it was the 2nd) that said "Because she's only fifteen, She's going hollywood..."

it's almost like a crime to cut Michaels vocals from a song
they erased Michaels vocals and added three fake songs
unbelievable
amateurs would've made a better job

Last edited:

One of the last changes MJ made to the song was add a guitar part and record a few ad-libs in 2008. I think it's safe to say that the final version would've turned out to be similar to the Neff-U mix rather than the remixes Teddy Riley made.

One of the last changes MJ made to the song was add a guitar part and record a few ad-libs in 2008. I think it's safe to say that the final version would've turned out to be similar to the Neff-U mix rather than the remixes Teddy Riley made.
This version has always been a little too busy for me. Wicked solo though.

On a moral level, I’d argue that altering the existing lyrics/vocals is a bigger “f**k you” to MJ than updating the production. Seeing that lyrics and vocals were the last elements he added to his songs, it stands to reason that the existing lines were more or less set in stone. Why change them?

On a subjective level, though… I can’t entirely blame them. I’d think the mentality was, “Let’s not have MJ talking about child sex abuse.” Obviously that angle was abandoned for XSCAPE, but I’d personally rather try to avoid that conversation as much as humanly possible. Not that I condone the choice, but I can’t say I necessarily disagree.

The original demo has a line at the end of the 2nd verse (iirc it was the 2nd) that said "Because she's only fifteen, She's going hollywood..."
Oh I see, never paid much attention to the 'Michael' version. But that sucks yes, wasn't the demo actually called 'Only Fifteen'?

Back