What were the original planned singles for Invincible?

One of my favourite on invincible was whatever happens to see that Live on stage and also see what short film he would make for it would be incredible.
To put a finer point on it, to most artists nowadays any release fully supported by Michael promoting his song would die for the numbers he would sell. In this digital and streaming world a new mj release if he was alive and was doing live performances the music world would not compete! I fully believe that this would still be the case.

Sadly, that is not the case and bar making a hologram/animation or old clips with a new song this is the only promo that Sony/The estate can do now, however I still believe good music is timeless and if say they where to release Whatever Happens with Santana promoting this would still sell like crazy and stream so much.

I think had Michael not made it known, he was leaving Sony after Invincible, things would have been different. I think Sony deliberately sabotaged the promotion of the album, hence why they overruled Michael and released YRMW 1st. They knew if Unbreakable was released first, as it should have been, it would have been a smash and would have sent the album into orbit.

I think they were ready to move on, and since they already butted heads with Michael before with regards to BOTDF being a remix album (Michael wanted just the 5 originals be an EP album), and butting heads with Michael on how long it took Invincible to be finished and released, when he said he was done after Invincible, that was the nail in the proverbial coffin.

This is also another reason why I think certain songs didn't make the final cut. I think Michael intentionally did that.

SONY did not sabotage Invincible...

MJ spend soo much time and money creating the album - release dates were pushed so many times. MJ booked expensive studios, but never turned up etc. etc. - This was not MJ's best era and he behaved very stupid with his SONY sucks and Tommy Motolla is a racist campaign.

MJ never heard people tell him NO, but in 1999-2001 I think he acted like he was still 1982 MJ on top of Thriller and could spend as much time and money as he wanted, bit time had changed for him in 1999-2001. MJ behaved childish and foolish - but SONY sure also made mistakes.

BUT when MJ had made clear he would not tour (if I remember correct?) to promote the album, and SONY had already spend enourmus amounts of money to make Invincible - some sources claim as much as 50 million dollars I think? They had to stop loosing money and decided to not throw more money after the album. MJ not being used to not get it his was, did not like that and got angry...

Very sad really - because Invincible is a great album.

I think had Michael not made it known, he was leaving Sony after Invincible, things would have been different. I think Sony deliberately sabotaged the promotion of the album, hence why they overruled Michael and released YRMW 1st. They knew if Unbreakable was released first, as it should have been, it would have been a smash and would have sent the album into orbit.

YRMW was definitely not the right choice for the lead single. Unbreakable had more appeal and the posthumous appearance from The Notorious B.I.G. would have helped tremendously as well. It was a win-win and a missed opportunity.

I think they were ready to move on, and since they already butted heads with Michael before with regards to BOTDF being a remix album (Michael wanted just the 5 originals be an EP album), and butting heads with Michael on how long it took Invincible to be finished and released, when he said he was done after Invincible, that was the nail in the proverbial coffin.

This is also another reason why I think certain songs didn't make the final cut. I think Michael intentionally did that.

I am very curious to hear the outtakes with Darkchild to know what he left off the album. I have a feeling too he kept the better songs off. Another Day with Lenny Kravitz, the stronger Dr. Freeze tracks, We've Had Enough... He had the embryo of another album already up his sleeve.

To Answer OPs question. I've personally seen promo 12" Records of Butterflies and YRMW at record stores over the years. Butterflies also had about 20 seconds of animation from a promo video leak.

"Unbreakable" would have been a horrible choice for a single, imho. It wasn't radio-friendly at all; that sort of hard, heavily produced pop music was out of style in 2001. The recycled Biggie verse was creepy, too.

"You Rock My World" was the right choice. It just needed to be released as a CD single in the United States.

Last edited:
@brnaryn, Rodney Jerkins stated that many of the 'Invincible' album outtakes were even better than the songs that made the official track list of the album.

Bruce Swedien confirmed that as well when he stated that great outtakes were simply left off from the album in order the album to sound more cohesive.

Also, 'Unbreakable' would not have been a good choice as the lead single, either.

The song has an overused, rehashed lyrical theme which had already begun to tire not only listeners but also many of his fans.

@Hess, SONY in the early '00s started to invest more on new, fresh acts (such as, boy bands), and less on already established artists (like, Michael Jackson) who began to wane in commercial appeal.

Note also that Michael Jackson was no longer a priority for SONY right after the release of the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album.

SONY did not sabotage Invincible...

MJ spend soo much time and money creating the album - release dates were pushed so many times. MJ booked expensive studios, but never turned up etc. etc. - This was not MJ's best era and he behaved very stupid with his SONY sucks and Tommy Motolla is a racist campaign.

MJ never heard people tell him NO, but in 1999-2001 I think he acted like he was still 1982 MJ on top of Thriller and could spend as much time and money as he wanted, bit time had changed for him in 1999-2001. MJ behaved childish and foolish - but SONY sure also made mistakes.

BUT when MJ had made clear he would not tour (if I remember correct?) to promote the album, and SONY had already spend enourmus amounts of money to make Invincible - some sources claim as much as 50 million dollars I think? They had to stop loosing money and decided to not throw more money after the album. MJ not being used to not get it his was, did not like that and got angry...

Very sad really - because Invincible is a great album.

Yeah, this narrative is so tired and it's not even true. Sony weren't gonna fund a huge marketing campaign after spending money for MJ to book hotels and leave people sitting in studios doing nothing.

Back