What you think about the 30th Anniversary concerts?

You're exactly correct, unfortunately. In Jermain Jackson's book, You Are Not Alone: Michael Through a Brother's Eyes he described Michael overdosing on Demoral before the concert and struggling to get him to the concert less than an hour before the show started. The red carpet footage he was talking about was this
He's holding onto Elizabeth like a child in a mall holding his mother, his fly's undone and his speech is completely slurred. There's clearly something very wrong there.
what surprises me At the mtv awards 2001 short performance with nsync days before, michael seemed to be in a better mood or am I just seeing it that way

what surprises me At the mtv awards 2001 short performance with nsync days before, michael seemed to be in a better mood or am I just seeing it that way
Yeah, he was on fire there. Basically all the 2000s shows other than the 30th Anniversary Celebration are good.

Am I missing something? MJ didn't sing it live at the 30th anniversary shows. It was just the album vocals pitched down. Can clearly be heard in the video posted.

Am I missing something? MJ didn't sing it live at the 30th anniversary shows. It was just the album vocals pitched down. Can clearly be heard in the video posted.
I don't know what specific songs you're talking about but he was definitely singing live majority of that concert. J5 medley was completely live. TWYMMF had with britney had live vocals (intro, some parts in the middle and the ending like on the bad and dangerous tours). On YRMW the pre choruses and the ending adlibs were live. Billie Jean had the usual post DWT live adlibs

I don't know what specific songs you're talking about but he was definitely singing live majority of that concert. J5 medley was completely live. TWYMMF had with britney had live vocals (intro, some parts in the middle and the ending like on the bad and dangerous tours). On YRMW the pre choruses and the ending adlibs were live. Billie Jean had the usual post DWT live adlibs

I'm talking about TWYMMF. It's clearly not live apart from the last adlibs at the end. I'm confused as to why a mostly lip synced performance is being discussed and compared as if it's live, that's all.

I know I'll digress a bit but the change in MJ's voice from 1999 to 2001 is really big.
The MJ & Friends concerts had, according to me, the best sounding live vocals from MJ I've heard since the Bad Tour. I know he didn't do a lot of live singing on these concerts but when he did, whoa. His voice was crystal clear!

Listen to the "Bataaay" on 3:01. So effortless and so high in range without any strain that we heard so much on the history tour. The acapella part here was so great. The best YANA acapella part ever imo. Even the " I love you Korea" at the end was awesome haha

Over to Exhibit B. This performance of She's Out Of My Life is on par with the Triumph Tour. Starting with the Bad Tour, he always sang " I keept my love for her like Deep Inside", going into falsetto on the deep line. Here he sings it with his full voice and does so powerfully.

Last edited:
I'm talking about TWYMMF. It's clearly not live apart from the last adlibs at the end. I'm confused as to why a mostly lip synced performance is being discussed and compared as if it's live, that's all.
You know what, after rewatching this clip and listening closely I realize the live parts we were discussing weren't even live lol. @ArchieSmash

The intro and the ending are 100% live tho.

I agree but why'd you pick the moment where he was actually himself (the pre-Billie Jean set-up). That's literally the only point at which he grins. The suitcase bit wasn't random either, it was rehearsed.
Sorry, I am just spoiled! I was talking about the way he angrily threw the suitcase, instead of gently and elegantly placing it somewhere, for rest of the setup I agree he was more himself. Though I still feel a spark that we are used to seeing in Billie Jean is missing.

You know what, after rewatching this clip and listening closely I realize the live parts we were discussing weren't even live lol. @ArchieSmash

The intro and the ending are 100% live tho.
??? You said his vocals there were terrible and now you're saying you can't distinguish them from the album? It's definitely live by the way, listen to how his voice cuts out as he moves his microphone. The reason I liked it so much was because for so long I thought it wasn't live, but comparing it to the acapella, it's absolutely different. The way he says "five" is distinctly different.

??? You said his vocals there were terrible and now you're saying you can't distinguish them from the album? It's definitely live by the way, listen to how his voice cuts out as he moves his microphone. The reason I liked it so much was because for so long I thought it wasn't live, but comparing it to the acapella, it's absolutely different.
As I stated in my post that you quoted, the intro and the ending adlibs were live (the bad singing i was referring to was those parts)
But the parts YOU AND I talked about was (To buy you things to keep you by my side) is not live at all. It's sounds exactly like the studio recording just a in a different key. It's also identical to the aired edited version.

Whenever he starts to sing live you can tell that it's live because it doesn't sound as good or as clean. What makes you think he could hit that "Side" note that flawlessly just like he did on the record when he couldn't even hit the notes near the ending of the song that were lower than the "Side" note? It's definitely pre-recorded album acapella, pitched down.

As I stated in my post that you quoted, the intro and the ending adlibs were live (the bad singing i was referring to was those parts)
But the parts YOU AND I talked about was (To buy you things to keep you by my side) is not live at all. It's sounds exactly like the studio recording just a in a different key. It's also identical to the aired edited version.

Whenever he starts to sing live you can tell that it's live because it doesn't sound as good or as clean. What makes you think he could hit that "Side" note that flawlessly just like he did on the record when he couldn't even hit the notes near the ending of the song that were lower than the "Side" note? It's definitely pre-recorded album acapella, pitched down.
So you're telling me they rehearsed him adjusting his mic at that specific moment to lower down the audio of the acapella for a split second? He'd have to sing it live because Britney started singing the wrong verse anyway (the other MSG concert starts with the first verse while Britney sings the second).

I know I'll digress a bit but the change in MJ's voice from 1999 to 2001 is really big.
The MJ & Friends concerts had, according to me, the best sounding live vocals from MJ I've heard since the Bad Tour. I know he didn't do a lot of live singing on these concerts but when he did, whoa. His voice was crystal clear!

Listen to the "Bataaay" on 3:01. So effortlessly and so high in range without any strain that we heard so much on the history tour. The acapella part here was so great. The best YANA acapella part ever imo. Even the " I love you Korea" at the end was awesome haha

Over to Exhibit B. This performance of She's Out Of My Life is on par with the Triumph Tour. Starting with the Bad Tour, he always sang " I keept my love for her like Deep Inside", going into falsetto on the deep line. Here he sings it with his full voice and does so powerfully.

I'm glad someone finally gets it! 1999 is one of Michael's best eras vocally IMO. Every vocal in and out of the studio was incredibly clean.

So you're telling me they rehearsed him adjusting his mic at that specific moment to lower down the audio of the acapella for a split second? He'd have to sing it live because Britney started singing the wrong verse anyway (the other MSG concert starts with the first verse while Britney sings the second).
The whole song was played in a lower key. Either a half step or a whole step lower so they also lowered (pitched down) his acapella to match the new key the song was being played in. That's why his voice sounds "deeper". The only live parts where we can hear him sing 100% without a doubt is the live intro and the ending.

The whole song was played in a lower key. Either a half step or a whole step lower so they also lowered (pitched down) his acapella to match the new key the song was being played in. That's why his voice sounds "deeper". The only live parts where we can hear him sing 100% without a doubt is the live intro and the ending.
You still haven't addressed the microphone thing. So do you really think they planned for him to adjust his microphone at EXACTLY that moment? Why add such a random detail? I've lowered the key on the acapella and the album to the 30th Anniversary version and no matter how I listen to it or sync it up it is absolutely different.

1987 easily beats 1999 tho
and 1982/1984 and 1980/1981 are just hundreds of light years better than 1999.
You're entitled to your opinion. All the demos and live performances demonstrated his vocal ability really well and the 1999 rehearsal for SOOML is better than any of the performances I've heard from 1987.

Last edited:
the 1999 rehearsal for SOOML is better than any the performances I've heard from 1987.
I respect your opinion,but the SOOML performance from the ,,black-shirt,,Tokyo 1987 show(the first ever Bad Tour concert) is way better than the 1999 rehearseal of it.
The Yokohama performance too(of SOOML)
The 1999 rehearseal trully has great vocals,but they aren't better than the Dangerous tour vocals for the song (and i think the Dangerous Tour vocals for the song are inferior to the SOOML vocals from the 1987 Japan shows)

Listen to the "Bataaay" on 3:01. So effortlessly and so high in range without any strain that we heard so much on the history tour. The acapella part here was so great. The best YANA acapella part ever imo. Even the " I love you Korea" at the end was awesome haha

wow...i NEVER seen that sooml performance how the F did i miss that.
is there better quality?
and BTW he does sound impressively healthy at those "i love you korea" its a straight up belt, a little texture on the KOREA but he sustained and it cleared up, actually interesting with this in mind to go and check out everything he did in 1999, i always kind of brushed that era off casue it felt like a copy paste of history to me so im shocked to find that SOOML moment

Last edited:
You still haven't addressed the microphone thing. So do you really think they planned for him to adjust his microphone at EXACTLY that moment? Why add such a random detail? I've lowered the key on the acapella and the album to the 30th Anniversary version and no matter how I listen to it or sync it up it is absolutely different.
I don’t understand what you mean by this? He adjusted the microphone but it had no effect on the pre recorded backtrack as it was going on without interruption.

I don’t understand what you mean by this? He adjusted the microphone but it had no effect on the pre recorded backtrack as it was going on without interruption.
I don't get how you don't hear it, it's very distinctly echoed for a brief moment as he does it. Also, he makes a little grunt after the "five" that isn't on the album, nor the pro version.

(26:39)

Last edited:
Ich verstehe nicht, warum Sie es nicht hören, es wird für einen kurzen Moment sehr deutlich widergehallt, während er es tut. Außerdem macht er ein kleines Grunzen nach der „Fünf“, die weder auf dem Album noch in der Pro-Version ist.

twymmf brunei 96 tops that there was more energy in it

I don't get how you don't hear it, it's very distinctly echoed for a brief moment as he does it. Also, he makes a little grunt after the "five" that isn't on the album, nor the pro version.

That is not live at all. I bet someone could pitch that up so it match the album key and it would match 100%. I mean how can you possibly believe he could sing 100% like the studio album when you can hear how different he sounds when he actually sings live like on the intro and the ending. Like someone in here said his vocals on the first show were really bad (no pun intended). There is no way he sings that bad and all of a sudden sings a part of the song 100% identical to the album version. A part that he clearly has had some struggle hitting even on the Bad Tour.

Also, the on stage chemistry between him and Britney Spears is non-existent (in ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’), and that performance looks like an ordeal for her (remember, at one point she backed out of her commitment to perform that song but her label forced her to perform).
Spears was contracted to another televised network special which caused the issue, she fought to perform with Michael, she's a massive fan, where is the confirmation she backed out?

To clear this up a little.

The Jacksons Part were completely sung live on both shows - It was then partly dubbed for the TV special.
The Way You Make Me Feel September 7 - started with live vocals and turned into pitched down playback somewhere after the first verse but had back live vocals at the end.
The Way You Make Me Feel September 10 - the intro was live but then had pitched playback the whole song until the live vocals at the ending.
Billie Jean - was the standard History Tour routine on both shows. So it had live vocals at the end when MJ gave the cue.
Black Or White - completely playback on September 7 and 10. The rap was live of course. On September 7 you hear mikes MIC FEED (only on audience recording) for a moment after the rap. But that was for sure not intentional. On sept 10 it sounds like his mic feed was on at the ending. But maybe i am wrong.
Beat It - Was kinda the same routine as History Tour. They pitched down the Album a capella as they did on TWYMMF. Some live "hooos" and grunts at the very beginning and live vocals at the ending on both shows.
You Rock My World - Playback but the chorus had live ad-libs. Same on both shows. On Sep 7 they played YRMW again at the very end as an Instrumental-encore. Michael is playing around and singing amazing ad-libs there.

The TV version was shortened. For example they cut away the second verse of Black Or White and the Trouble-Ending of Beat It and more.
I actually like that they pitched down some of the playback stuff. It sounded more realistic since MJ has aged at this times.

I honestly don't like that they pitched down the acapella for these performances. I wonder why MJ didnt record new vocals for those songs for the playback.

You Rock My World - Playback but the chorus had live ad-libs. Same on both shows. On Sep 7 they played YRMW again at the very end as an Instrumental-encore. Michael is playing around and singing amazing ad-libs there.
The Pre-chorus also has live vocals

To clear this up a little.

The Jacksons Part were completely sung live on both shows - It was then partly dubbed for the TV special.
The Way You Make Me Feel September 7 - started with live vocals and turned into pitched down playback somewhere after the first verse but had back live vocals at the end.
The Way You Make Me Feel September 10 - the intro was live but then had pitched playback the whole song until the live vocals at the ending.
Billie Jean - was the standard History Tour routine on both shows. So it had live vocals at the end when MJ gave the cue.
Black Or White - completely playback on September 7 and 10. The rap was live of course. On September 7 you hear mikes MIC FEED (only on audience recording) for a moment after the rap. But that was for sure not intentional. On sept 10 it sounds like his mic feed was on at the ending. But maybe i am wrong.
Beat It - Was kinda the same routine as History Tour. They pitched down the Album a capella as they did on TWYMMF. Some live "hooos" and grunts at the very beginning and live vocals at the ending on both shows.

The TV version was shortened. For example they cut away the second verse of Black Or White and the Trouble-Ending of Beat It and more.
I actually like that they pitched down some of the playback stuff. It sounded more realistic since MJ has aged at this times.
So basically his entire solo set is 90% lip-synched. Lame

I honestly don't like that they pitched down the acapella for these performances. I wonder why MJ didnt record new vocals for those songs for the playback.
I always thought that those vocals were re-recorded,after I have found out that they were not live actually.
Them being just pitched down makes me don't like these shows even more. Not only he lacked energy and his specific "magic" for performing,but also his dancing was kinda averrage + he lip-synched nearly the entirety of his solo set(which he didn't even bother to re-record vocals for).
Wow ...

Let me clarify my statement :D
I like the pitched down vocals instead of the standard ones. But i would have prefered live or pre-recorded ones.

Back