Whats the deal with the audio on the unedited version of Munich?

rsggamer123

Proud Member
Look and more importantly LISTEN to this:

http://youtu.be/Wwi8QHe2AA4

Why is the audio (vocals and band) different to the version that was released? Did every HIStory show have this sound but before it hit TV the production team messed with the audio? This version sounds so much better and LIVE (if that makes sense) and makes me appreciate the tour as a whole alot more.

So some tv station obviously has the concert with this real unedited audio. Would they be aloud to screen this version? Would be amazing to get to hear the full concert the way it was meant to be heard.

Last edited:
Maybe just mixed differently.
Maybe stage mics to give it that more reverberated/live sound?

I'm not sure, but I went to the Dublin concert in 97 and this is much closer in sound to my memory of it. To be honest I've never been fully happy with the sound mixes for Dangerous, HIStory Munich & Bad Wembley. They never seem to get the sound right. Even for Wembley 88, I've enjoyed better sound online with headphones! These clips sound amazing!

The snippets are taken of the 'Rudi Dolezal Docu', aired in the Austrian TV (ORF)

The Estate own the full July 4th & 6th Munich shows in 1080p HD, they were one of the first few concerts shot with HD Camera's! The audio for both shows exist on Multitracks, and live vocals exist from the recording of Michael's microphone. July 4th seems a lot better to me, he has much more energy.. dancing is more accurate.. he looks 100% there.. it's wonderful.. still doesn't compete with BAD or DANGEROUS World Tours.. but if we did get a Blu-Ray of the HIStory Tour with live vocals taken from the multi's for song's such as BOTDF, Stranger In Moscow & You Are Not Alone.. it would be a great release.

The unedited mix you posted is from i believe the DVD edit, Michael also wanted to include 20 minutes at the beginning featuring footage of fans arriving at the stadium.

Last edited:
Zakk;4042829... it would be a great release. said:

This is awesome!!! Thank you for posting.

And yes, it would be a great release.

The Estate own the full July 4th & 6th Munich shows in 1080p HD, they were one of the first few concerts shot with HD Camera's! The audio for both shows exist on Multitracks, and live vocals exist from the recording of Michael's microphone. July 4th seems a lot better to me, he has much more energy.. dancing is more accurate.. he looks 100% there.. it's wonderful.. still doesn't compete with BAD or DANGEROUS World Tours.. but if we did get a Blu-Ray of the HIStory Tour with live vocals taken from the multi's for song's such as BOTDF, Stranger In Moscow & You Are Not Alone.. it would be a great release.

The unedited mix you posted is from i believe the DVD edit, Michael also wanted to include 20 minutes at the beginning featuring footage of fans arriving at the stadium.

When you say " they were one of the first few concerts shot with HD Camera's!" is it known that other HIStory Tour concerts were shot on 1080p HD or do you mean that other Artists used the 1080p HD after MJ? Also, I'm slightly confused about the footage, MJ performed two nights in Munich, but the footage in the link that rsggamer123 posted (which looks like a far better performance) sees MJ's gold and silver jacket come undone during Scream. Which concert is that from?

Another thing I can't understand, is that why on earth did they release the concert in which MJ is unwell, when they had both nights shot on HD? They could have used the better performance and even edited in a few moments from the weaker performance when MJ missed a twirl or didn't quite pull off a move, and also used the sound from rsggamer123's link. That sound raises the show to an entirely new level that we haven't had yet from the HIStory Tour besides Steves awesome soundboard audio. I just don't get where their heads are sometimes. How can they hear this incredible sound quality, but then mix the sound down, drown out everything and give us an awful sound mix? That's incredible. I thought the idea was that in the editing process, you improved things, not reduced things.

[Edit] Ah ok, I've just seen and realized from maviefly's post that the footage is from an Austrian TV show special. So not Munich, but Austria. Of all the footage from the tour to be captured in HD, it had to be from a date when MJ was poorly. Although, if what Zakk say's is true, at least the other night from Munich is also captured in HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you say " they were one of the first few concerts shot with HD Camera's!" is it known that other HIStory Tour concerts were shot on 1080p HD or do you mean that other Artists used the 1080p HD after MJ? Also, I'm slightly confused about the footage, MJ performed two nights in Munich, but the footage in the link that rsggamer123 posted (which looks like a far better performance) sees MJ's gold and silver jacket come undone during Scream. Which concert is that from?

Another thing I can't understand, is that why on earth did they release the concert in which MJ is unwell, when they had both nights shot on HD? They could have used the better performance and even edited in a few moments from the weaker performance when MJ missed a twirl or didn't quite pull off a move, and also used the sound from rsggamer123's link. That sound raises the show to an entirely new level that we haven't had yet from the HIStory Tour besides Steves awesome soundboard audio. I just don't get where their heads are sometimes. How can they hear this incredible sound quality, but then mix the sound down, drown out everything and give us an awful sound mix? That's incredible. I thought the idea was that in the editing process, you improved things, not reduced things.

[Edit] Ah ok, I've just seen and realized from maviefly's post that the footage is from an Austrian TV show special. So not Munich, but Austria. Of all the footage from the tour to be captured in HD, it had to be from a date when MJ was poorly. Although, if what Zakk say's is true, at least the other night from Munich is also captured in HD.

During the recent trial there was some information that came to light regarding Michael's stay in Munich during the HWT in 1997, and that really got to me.. but of course, it only really came into effect after the first of two concerts, Michael's adrenaline was racing extremely high, it's understandable that he couldn't sleep properly, plus.. i'm guessing the televised audio mix is from July 6th.. his laryngitis must have kicked in a lot more after the first show. The best concerts are those which were performed in 1996, in my opinion of course. Especially Prague, the opening show.. he came back to the stage with a bang. Coming to the filming procedures of the Tour, Munich was shot in HD.. Leipzig may also be.. as there is footage from that show during the J5 Medley segment! I believe a couple of the earlier shows could have been shot on Film negatives though, who knows? it would be nice to see what the estate come up with, if the HIStory 20th anniversary calendar is leading to a commemorative release.

Thank you all for this. I couldn't view on my phone. I will on computer later. But based on what you are saying there is a show out there with much better audio and performance. I hope the estate releases something of great quality so people can see Michael's true gift of performance and vocals.

The known Munich broadcast is mainly July 6.
The open jacket during Scream (thus during TDCAU & ITC too) is Munich, July 4.
Some excerpts were broadcasted recently in an Austrian docu, but it's still from Munich July 4.

A little off topic but was July 6th also recorded in hd?

Last edited:
oh wow in that case they could create something truly special with edits of both shows into one release. for example the performance of botdf from the 6th is so much better then the 4th.

Is there any way we can get to see a full Munich July 4 1997 concert show on YouTube that isn't fan made or amateur?

I tried to find it but all I have found is the July 6 1997 Munich concert on YouTube that isn't an amateur recording. I couldn't find the July 4 one. Does anyone know the link the full Munich July 4 1997 concert show on YouTube that isn't fan made or amateur?

Back