When Were Songs Recorded?

My notes say, he's working on solo songs (which appeared later on Mr Bad Guy) on these dates.🤔

Perhaps a mistake; or FM & others were just working in different rooms independently?
Apologies for the late reply, but I'm pretty convinced that must be a mistake. I cannot find any information elsewhere to corroborate Freddie working at The Record Plant on said dates. Despite thorough searches, only Brian May's Star Fleet project comes up for those dates.

Anyway, I did find that the Queen official fan club fan magazine from Spring 1983 mentions Freddie recording with Michael at Encino. So it was definitely around that period.
It's interesting Freddie said it was pre-Thriller, but most sources indicate it was after. Even Peter Freestone recalled in his memoir seeing the Triple Platinum discs for Thriller on Michael's bedroom wall that same day they worked together. Probably the discs Michael received on 25 February 1983...

A bit late for this off-topic question, but is there any evidence that Bill Bottrell produced a version of Someone Put Your Hand Out during Dangerous? Couldn't find any when researching the song recently.

Contrary to most rumours, I do strongly believe that Bruce Swedien produced the version of SPYHO. The original Pepsi cassette release credits him as producer. The leaked footage of the percussion overdub session (17 Aug 1991) shows Bruce being hands-on as producer too. Whereas on The Ultimate Collection you have Teddy Riley credited as co-producer for the same version! Confusing indeed.

A bit late for this off-topic question, but is there any evidence that Bill Bottrell produced a version of Someone Put Your Hand Out during Dangerous? Couldn't find any when researching the song recently.

Contrary to most rumours, I do strongly believe that Bruce Swedien produced the version of SPYHO. The original Pepsi cassette release credits him as producer. The leaked footage of the percussion overdub session (17 Aug 1991) shows Bruce being hands-on as producer too. Whereas on The Ultimate Collection you have Teddy Riley credited as co-producer for the same version! Confusing indeed.
Great work my friend.

I do think the credits on The Ultimate Collection are sketchy to put it kindly. If memory serves me right I think Michael was credited as sole writer for Fall Again for instance.

I believe Bruce had evolved into more of a producing role, rather just engineer during the Dangerous sessions, the Jam demo being an example. I also remember reading once that it was Bruce who suggest to Michael to slow the tempo of SPYHO and make it more of a ballad to showcase his vocals and lyrics.

Although Teddy did some work with Mike on the lyrics and bridge (source : Mexico Deposition 1993)

Great work my friend.

I do think the credits on The Ultimate Collection are sketchy to put it kindly. If memory serves me right I think Michael was credited as sole writer for Fall Again for instance.

I believe Bruce had evolved into more of a producing role, rather just engineer during the Dangerous sessions, the Jam demo being an example. I also remember reading once that it was Bruce who suggest to Michael to slow the tempo of SPYHO and make it more of a ballad to showcase his vocals and lyrics.

Although Teddy did some work with Mike on the lyrics and bridge (source : Mexico Deposition 1993)
No problem at all. I do agree credits are rather patchy in places for TUC. It even says that the song was recorded in April 1992, whilst we know that the Pepsi release was the one recorded for Dangerous based on Brad’s footage. Even Rob Disner said that SPYHO on his mini disc was virtually the same as what was released iirc…
Of course, Michael may have tweaked things a little before release, typical of his usual perfectionism (nothing wrong with that, really). But saying it was recorded in April 1992 is too much of an oversight.

Back