Which HIStory Tour show(s) had the best live vocals?

Personally speaking, I didn’t like the vocals of WBSS on Dangerous tour, so I definitely didn’t like them on the History Tour. That song just didn’t sound that good with the headset mic, in my opinion.

As for the Jackson 5 medley, probably Gothenburg or Copenhagen. I love the ad libs he did at the end of Heal The World in Copenhagen. His voice sounded heavenly.

I really wish that on days his voice felt better, he perhaps could have tried to sing 1-2 additional songs live.

Also, I didn’t understand why he decided to live sing WBSS. Surely that song would have been quite strenuous on his already damaged voice, especially as it was quite a physically demanding song to do live.

Nite Line;4306628 said:
Also, I didn’t understand why he decided to live sing WBSS. Surely that song would have been quite strenuous on his already damaged voice, especially as it was quite a physically demanding song to do live.

Yeah that’s always been a curious one. Singing WBSS but skipping You Are Not Alone. Especially on nights where his adlibs on YANA were top notch. I’d love to hear an explanation of it but everyone involved in the tour I’ve seen asked about it either doesn’t want to talk about it or gives a vague non-answer.

Michael Prince said he has recordings of MJ’s live voice for every song on the HIStory tour. I’d love to hear those. I wonder if Mike gave it his all even though he knew the audience couldn’t hear him.

I'd probably say Gothenburg or Copenhagen. The energy was great in Brunei but Mike's voice does sound strained at times

Not the best live vocals by any stretch but I do like the Billie Jean adlibs in Helsinki. MJ just seems so cool and relaxed

Gothenburg and Helsinki are two of my favourite HIStory Tour concerts.

Nite Line;4306628 said:
Personally speaking, I didn’t like the vocals of WBSS on Dangerous tour, so I definitely didn’t like them on the History Tour. That song just didn’t sound that good with the headset mic, in my opinion.

As for the Jackson 5 medley, probably Gothenburg or Copenhagen. I love the ad libs he did at the end of Heal The World in Copenhagen. His voice sounded heavenly.

I really wish that on days his voice felt better, he perhaps could have tried to sing 1-2 additional songs live.

Snek;4306629 said:
Yeah that’s always been a curious one. Singing WBSS but skipping You Are Not Alone. Especially on nights where his adlibs on YANA were top notch. I’d love to hear an explanation of it but everyone involved in the tour I’ve seen asked about it either doesn’t want to talk about it or gives a vague non-answer.

Michael Prince said he has recordings of MJ’s live voice for every song on the HIStory tour. I’d love to hear those. I wonder if Mike gave it his all even though he knew the audience couldn’t hear him.

It has been said that ‘Wanna Be Startin' Somethin’ was one of the songs that Michael Jackson always wanted to sing live during his concerts.

This seems to be a valid explanation, considering that he also planned to sing that song live (although in a lower key) during his ‘This Is It’ concert series.

The backing singers sing a good chunk of WBSS, so I think that made it easier for Michael to sing that one live.

I just realized that Michael sung Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' live ever since the Victory Tour, from 1984 to 1997, thirteen long years, and has never lip synched it. How interesting. But then again, has he ever lip synched over live backing vocals?

Snek;4306629 said:

I didnt know this. He recorded live tracks for the tour? If true then if/when history tour gets officially released they need to use that unheard audio. It would make the tour much more interesting imo.

I didnt know this. He recorded live tracks for the tour? If true then if/when history tour gets officially released they need to use that unheard audio. It would make the tour much more interesting imo.

Yeah, he said so in his MJCast interview. The most he really talked about them though was that the album vocals were better in comparison, which was about the most obvious thing he could've said :laughing: I hope they do make their way into an official release also.

^ Wow! That's interesting information. I'd definitely want to watch a History show with different vocals.

Yeah, he said so in his MJCast interview. The most he really talked about them though was that the album vocals were better in comparison, which was about the most obvious thing he could've said :laughing: I hope they do make their way into an official release also.
Ok, I wanna hear this, for every song on the HIStory Tour? Scream, TDCAU, SIM, Smooth Criminal, Earth Song, etc. all with these vocals? That also means the Off The Wall medley was recorded with HIStory era vocals! :D

mj_frenzy;4306632 said:
It has been said that ‘Wanna Be Startin' Somethin’ was one of the songs that Michael Jackson always wanted to sing live during his concerts.

This seems to be a valid explanation, considering that he also planned to sing that song live (although in a lower key) during his ‘This Is It’ concert series.

From what I remember during that recent interview Brad Sundberg did with Michael Prince, Prince said that he was only supposed to sing 90% of the vocals, and I've heard from word of mouth that WBSS and some other songs were supposed to be lip-synced with re-recorded vocals, which is most likely what he meant, so I don't know where you got that he "planned to sing WBSS live" because you probably don't even actually know. Maybe I'm just being dumb, though.

Snek;4306629 said:
I wonder if Mike gave it his all even though he knew the audience couldn’t hear him.

One of the YANA girls (Munich?) in a Interview long ago said that when she was up on stage with him hugging, she could hear his voice in her ear singing YANA.

He did sing Dangerous live in Ostend 1997 (half way in the song) before the playback went back on

[video=youtube;CdJoLjX6-Gw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJoLjX6-Gw[/video]

I am pretty sure what he meant was that MJ still sung when his mic was off and that they recorded it on multitrack. I am pretty sure thats what michael prince said..

Back