Which Michael Jackson songs are concert staples?

KingofPop125

Proud Member
Pick a few songs from each album, Thriller-HIStory. No OTW or J5 songs as they usually come in a medley. The songs you pick must be the songs that Michael the King of Pop. The ones that have the most memorable live routines or elements, or songs that were the critically acclaimed that were performed at his concerts (Bad, Dangerous and HIStory).

I pick two from each album.

Thriller:
Billie Jean
Wanna Be Starting Something

Bad:
Man In The Mirror
Smooth Criminal

Dangerous:
Black or White
Dangerous

History:
They Don't Care About Us
Earth Song

Why no off the wall? Rock with you, dont stop, working day and night, she's out of my life, off the wall wasn't performed as medley excepted in for the History tour. Off the wall songs are pure dope.

Thriller

Thriller / Billie Jean

Bad

Man in the Mirror / Smooth Criminal

Dangerous

Black or White / Remember the Time

History

They Don't Care About Us / Earthsong

Invincible

You Rock My World / Butterflies

Thriller

Thriller / Billie Jean

Bad

Man in the Mirror / Smooth Criminal

Dangerous

Black or White / Remember the Time

History

They Don't Care About Us / Earthsong

Invincible

You Rock My World / Butterflies
I wouldn't call Remember The Time, You Rock My world concert staples as he only performed those songs very few times, and Remember The Time was never performed in concert. Only once at the Soul Train awards. And Butterflies was never even performed anywhere

Rock with you is a favorite of mine live - MJ seems so happy and the energy is out of this world.
- actually I really love th DWT rehearsal version.

Working day and night was big part of both BAD and Dangerous tour - a bit too long for me - but still great.

I don't see how you can exclude OTW songs - they are so important in the MJ catalog. - also live.

I always think some of MJ's live choices after 1992 were easy choices. An that's understandable because MJ was such a legendary live performer he was hindered by having to perform his biggest hits

For instance, I love Heal The World but that song has no business being 8-9 minutes long, I love the performance of WDAN but again like 10 minutes long is crazy. MJ could have fit another song from the album in there.

At times the Dangerous Tour feels more like a greatest hits tour than a promotion for the album. So as much I love RWY live or DSTYGE, I wish Mike would have done RTT, WII or GITM

I wouldn't call Remember The Time, You Rock My world concert staples as he only performed those songs very few times, and Remember The Time was never performed in concert. Only once at the Soul Train awards. And Butterflies was never even performed anywhere
I read that as album stables!! Lol

Thriller:
Thriller / Billie Jean / Beat It

BAD:
The Way You Make Me Feel / Smooth Criminal / Man In The Mirror

Dangerous:
Black Or White

HIStory:
Earth Song

Off The Wall (I do what I want):

Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
From the minimal footage we have it seems great. The part in the Off The Wall Medley is something I really enjoy so I can't imagine it being worse in the original performance.

Workin' Day And Night
I can understand people's gripes with it's length but I personally dig it, mainly because Workin' Day and Night sped up is just bopping constantly and Michael's physicality is great too.

Thriller:

Billie Jean
My favourite of them all, just brilliant, especially in the 1996 shows with the massively extended breakdown. My only gripe with it is the vocals pre-HIStory Tour are pretty awkward for the verses.

Beat It
I love the dancing style Michael takes and how completely off-the-cuff the whole performance is in general, the breakdown in the middle is badass too. This is usually the highlight of the vocals in most of the HIStory shows too.

Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Similar to Beat It in it's dance but more graceful and smooth, equivocal to a swan vs a goose. I'd like it more but unfortunately I'm just not a huge fan of the song itself.

Bad:

Man In The Mirror
Best closer when it comes to his concerts. Powerful.

Smooth Criminal
Just a great routine, a great blend of the iconography in the music video as well as new parts added in. I also quite like the segments where Michael does his own thing because they're usually different each concert.

The Way You Make Me Feel
The vibe is so great here and the dancing is incredible on all fronts. The bit with the lady that comes on is pretty fun too. I wish they kept the slow intro for the tours though.

Dangerous:

Dangerous
Great song, great routine. Not as free-form as Smooth Criminal but there are still some cool moments that set apart each performance.

Jam
Intense and in your face, I like it. Other than TWYMMF, it's the only performance without a set choreo (for the most part) and it makes for a very enjoyable performance to see what he pulls next. Unfortunately he does tend to grip his mic a lot though.

In The Closet
Strangely making it's debut in the HIStory Tour, this performance always has a special place in my heart. The instrumental is probably my favourite of any song he's ever done live and the dancing is so slick and cohesive. I also love the live vocal he puts in there.

HIStory

Stranger in Moscow
Second favourite after Billie Jean. Just magical to watch, it never gets old.

Scream
I love the dancing style utilised here, the combos are just really entrancing to watch.

Earth Song
Favourite Michael Jackson song. I'm not super thrilled about the HIStory Tour version but all the others are fantastic. Every performance he feels the music completely differently and I love them all.

They Don't Care About Us
Big fan of the arrangement here, not to mention the great conviction he delivers this song with. I love, love, love the little bits of choreography sprinkled into the parts of the song.

Blood On The Dancefloor
Kinda cheating here but I love this song and the way it's performed. The jacket he wears is one of my favourites and Mike's pure joy he has while performing is infectious.

Another Part of Me. No other song matches the raw energy of that performance.

Back