Which of MJ's album releases had the most hype towards it?

IhateTheMedia

Proud Member
Country
United-States
His album's coming out were the biggest hype of all time from what i read, but i'm wondering which one in particular was treated as the biggest event among fans

Off the Wall wasn't expected to do better than MJ's Motown solo albums, none of which did particularly well, so people were surprised by its success. This made people look forward to Thriller, of course, but no one thought it would be anywhere close to the greatest-selling album of all time except MJ. He was already popular before, but it was only after Thriller that he became a megastar.

A lot of people were curious to see if Bad could match the success of Thriller. It sold a record-breaking 2.25 million in the United States in its first week, but it ultimately didn't come close to matching Thriller. There was plenty of hype for Dangerous, but MJ was seen as more eccentric in the years leading up to it and everyone knew by then that he was past his peak. After 1993, MJ's popularity sharply declined and as a result, there was much less hype for his albums.

Dangerous. Black or White was a BIG thing. lol The promo took over the TV. Billboard posters on bus stops. The wait was a countdown to "What now ? with this guy ". It was promoted like that and people were very curious. The presentation of the album was exclusive. After the short film there was 'outrage' on news channels. Yeah it was a BIG deal.

I recall [!] Michael's promo appearance for this, and the first copy [?] being 'flown in' . The album remained in a suitcase / guard under lock and key and solidly protected. [i do recall something like this being in some music magazine. This might have been just hype but there was a promo party event which Michael attended, Details of this are sketchy because I was a very new supporter as of then. I hope someone else can confirm what i mean.]

It was the 'Dangerous' album, given also the fact that robbers stole 30,000 copies of it right before its official release (from a warehouse at Los Angeles International Airport) in order to sell it on the street at a discount.

I am old enough to remember the Dangerous hype and I can only imagine thie answerr to this is either BAD or Dangerous.

db7.jpg

Dangerous. Black or White was a BIG thing. lol The promo took over the TV. Billboard posters on bus stops. The wait was a countdown to "What now ? with this guy ". It was promoted like that and people were very curious. The presentation of the album was exclusive. After the short film there was 'outrage' on news channels. Yeah it was a BIG deal.

I recall [!] Michael's promo appearance for this, and the first copy [?] being 'flown in' . The album remained in a suitcase / guard under lock and key and solidly protected. [i do recall something like this being in some music magazine. This might have been just hype but there was a promo party event which Michael attended, Details of this are sketchy because I was a very new supporter as of then. I hope someone else can confirm what i mean.]
Yep the ''panther dance'' didnt sit well with a lot of viwers

Off the Wall wasn't expected to do better than MJ's Motown solo albums, none of which did particularly well, so people were surprised by its success. This made people look forward to Thriller, of course, but no one thought it would be anywhere close to the greatest-selling album of all time except MJ. He was already popular before, but it was only after Thriller that he became a megastar.

A lot of people were curious to see if Bad could match the success of Thriller. It sold a record-breaking 2.25 million in the United States in its first week, but it ultimately didn't come close to matching Thriller. There was plenty of hype for Dangerous, but MJ was seen as more eccentric in the years leading up to it and everyone knew by then that he was past his peak. After 1993, MJ's popularity sharply declined and as a result, there was much less hype for his albums.
You have to be MJ_frenzy's burner account or something.

True or false, joke or fact the 2.2 million figure isn’t outrageous considering the hype for Bad. Since the soundscan era 2 albums had higher first week sales.

So MJ has the third highest debut of all time in the US wow smoke weed everyday

Yep the ''panther dance'' didnt sit well with a lot of viwers
To be honest, this is all made up. The TV companies told you people were "outraged" simply because they wanted you to watch their news broadcast.

All we need to say is that the BOW video was popular. That's all.

And there's always that one person who purposefully twists what the other person says because they need attention, lol.

Last edited:
MJ’s popularity only seemingly sharply declined post 1993. In reality the HIStory project completely outperformed expectations. The tour was a worldwide massive triumph in terms of ticket sales (not in terms of performance sigh). The album sold in very high quantities despite being an expensive double album and 4 of its 5 singles were global monster hits (scream,you are not alone, earth song and they don’t care about us). Two of them even survived time and are still in playlists all over the world (earth song and they don’t care about us), not to mention how socially relevant they still are.

And there is still a case to be made of Stranger In Moscow hitting nr 1 in Italy, Spain and the Czech Republic which is by no means a small feet as a 5th single.

Last edited:
Y'all really need to stop pretending the scandal didn't have any impact on MJ's career lol

I take it you missed the lead up to HIStory with statues in different countries and one floating down the river Thames on a barge?
Sure, Sony wanted there to be hype.

But that's very different to lots of people actually being hyped.

It's just not on the same level. The statues were just a gimmicky stunt.

Dangerous had the most hype, followed by Bad, followed by Thriller. Then maybe followed by Got To Be There. HIStory would be lucky to be 5th.

Y'all really need to stop pretending the scandal didn't have any impact on MJ's career lol
It did impact his image, music (themes), self confidence and overal psyche which was from that moment on forever shattered but his career clearly survived 1993. He was a global top seller in the mid 90s and there is enough proof of that in terms of awards, sales and concerts.

Why would Dangerous have more hype surrounding it than Bad? Michael had just released the biggest selling album of all time with Thriller, obviously, there would be a lot of anticipation around the follow-up to that album.

Sure, Sony wanted there to be hype.

But that's very different to lots of people actually being hyped.

It's just not on the same level. The statues were just a gimmicky stunt.

Dangerous had the most hype, followed by Bad, followed by Thriller. Then maybe followed by Got To Be There. HIStory would be lucky to be 5th.

I think you'll find it was Michael's idea re: the statues.

All hype of any album or product is a gimmick. That's what advertising is....a gimmick to catch your interest and make you buy something.

It didn't, before 2001. Certainly outside of America and The UK
I mean even in the UK where the tabloids ran rampant his albums and singles were still charting highly. Definitely better than in America at any rate.

And there's always that one person who purposefully twists what the other person says because they need attention, lol.
Weren't you the one who said there was no hype for an album that *checks notes* had a shedload of hype?

Look, you might not like HIStory but it had hype and publicity by necessity. They wanted Michael's music back at the forefront so went out of their way to push it. Statues, TV spots, TV appearances. Earth Song was Christmas Number 1 in the UK he did a message on Top of the Pops. He appeared at the Brits and "performed".

People were hyped for the album.

Saying that Bad obviously had the most hype. Common sense. It was following the release of the biggest-selling album of all time and people had waited 5 years for a new album.

Back