Who chose the Number Ones tracklist

Albion

Proud Member
Number Ones contains several songs that did not get to number one (as far as I know) but misses on one that did, BOTDF. Based on USA and UK number ones (similar to The Beatles 1) the track list would be “I want you back, ABC, The love you save, I’ll be there, Ben, Show you the way to go, Don’t stop til you get enough, Rock with you, One day In your life, Billie Jean, Beat it, Say say say, I just can’t stop loving you, Bad, The way you make, Man In The mirror, Dirty Diana, Black or white, You are not alone, Earth song and Blood on the dance floor” I appreciate that this includes songs by Jackson 5, Jackson’s and duets. I just wondered who chose the album track list and why?

They did become number ones but in other countries
In fact depending on which edition you buy you get different tracks, simple google search shows you:
With the exception of One More Chance which is brand new, the only song not being a number one is Break of Dawn
Not sure why they put it there...

“Break of Dawn” was allegedly included to stave off a lawsuit from Dr. Freeze. So it goes, MJ didn’t write a single note of that song, but still took 50% credit (which isn’t a surprise seeing that he did the same with “Don’t Walk Away,” “Whatever Happens,” and “Heaven Can Wait”). Dr. Freeze was furious and threatened to sue for lost royalties, so MJ had it put on Number Ones to (hopefully) earn him some additional revenue.

They did become number ones but in other countries
In fact depending on which edition you buy you get different tracks, simple google search shows you:
With the exception of One More Chance which is brand new, the only song not being a number one is Break of Dawn
Not sure why they put it there...
Rumour has it that 'Break Of Dawn' was planned as the second single from that compilation album.

The reason is said to be that 'Break Of Dawn' had potential as a single, due to its significant airplay that the song had already gained, but also because certain music critics praised that particular song when it came out (in 2001).

Rumour has it that 'Break Of Dawn' was planned as the second single from that compilation album.

The reason is said to be that 'Break Of Dawn' had potential as a single, due to its significant airplay that the song had already gained, but also because certain music critics praised that particular song when it came out (in 2001).
“Break of Dawn” was on the shortlist for singles when Invincible came out, yes. That got cut short when promotion ended abruptly. Outside of some planned/discussed performances, there were no other singles planned for Number Ones, especially not a song that had been released two years earlier on an album that had basically faded from the public’s consciousness.

Back