Who found singing and performing easier & more natural.....

Adult MJ because he was more experienced and felt freer as he had more creative control.

I think both Michaels were very natural in their acts. Take for example the overall performances of Dancing Machine, Shake Your Body To The Ground, Blame It On the Boogie and compare it to Billie Jean, Beat It, Human Nature, Stranger in Moscow, Bad, Smooth Criminal, Remember the Time, Dangerous, Black or White (I think BoW is one of the most spontaneous and natural songs of his), You Rock My World etc.

I admit, in the History Tour, his actions seemed somewhat forced. However, there were times when he shone brighter than ever; during the J5 Medley, Stranger In Moscow, the OtW Medley.

He lost smoothness in his later career. He became more mechanical and staccato-like in both his singing and his dancing. That's not a bad thing!

Last edited:
With time, experience Michael fine tuned his craft both performing and vocally... Than there came a time where he 'peaked' I guess I could say... While somethings continued getting better with experience, his health started to effect his dance... It was apparent by HIStory tour... Part of the reason why I think the HBO specialin 1995 may have been his greatest performance if it made it... But then again, him collapsing could be a sign of his health declining.. (he's collapsed before but never up to that point for a single performance, only after touring and continuous pounding on the body)

Because of his health he slowed down the tempo of the music he performed to, he sang live much less.. he danced with a little less power BUT in return we got more intricate movements through the choreography and freestyle popping etc. Which I love!

To summerise Some things got better with age (like wine) and some areas started to slow down.

I think both Michaels were very natural in their acts.

Yep! He loved to perform and it came natural to him from a kid to his last days (and it showed). It was cool to see him enjoy it even more when he gained creative control of his music (leaving Motown). He knew he wasn't going to be able to do all of that high tech/high energy dancing and singing forever and that's rare for an artist to realize when it's time to hang it up. I wish he could've had that chance to take a bow from touring with TII. It would have been fabulous.

Adult Michael as he was not forced and was in control of his career. But only up to 1993 when the scandals began and things began going wrong with painkillers and ongoing costs spiralling out of control. The Peak for his was the Destiny Tour to the Dangerous tour. Probably the Bad Tour, where he was dancing and singing better than ever and selling out stadiums. He was with Dangerous and History Tours too, but those performances were a bit more forced and overblown and he was missing dates for voice and other reasons. Bad was all about the music and the myth making.

Think of it, in 1987 and 1988 Michael was hardly taking anything, he was 29 - 30 and in great form and he was at his commercial peak with multiple hits from Bad everywhere he went and Thriller was still fresh in people's minds, the only way was up! People just wanted more and more of Michael and he was giving it to them!

His traditional singing style was at it's best when a kid. His singing style became nuanced as he got older, developing a unique idiosyncratic style that is so unmistakably his own.

Adult Michael as he was not forced and was in control of his career. But only up to 1993 when the scandals began and things began going wrong with painkillers and ongoing costs spiralling out of control. The Peak for his was the Destiny Tour to the Dangerous tour. Probably the Bad Tour, where he was dancing and singing better than ever and selling out stadiums. He was with Dangerous and History Tours too, but those performances were a bit more forced and overblown and he was missing dates for voice and other reasons. Bad was all about the music and the myth making.

Think of it, in 1987 and 1988 Michael was hardly taking anything, he was 29 - 30 and in great form and he was at his commercial peak with multiple hits from Bad everywhere he went and Thriller was still fresh in people's minds, the only way was up! People just wanted more and more of Michael and he was giving it to them!

MJ had laryngitis during Bad as well and he postponed, rescheduled and cancelled a couple of shows and even passed out backstage during the shows in spain due to exhaustion which forced him to cut out the last two songs from the set and end it with Bad. He also had to lower the pitch of some songs on later dates of the tour. Touring took a great toll on MJ, that's for sure.

I agree with MattyJam's assessment.

Last edited:
And thats the thing, MJ did not tour that much at all, for those voice reasons and exhaustions. Makes me wonder how he would have handled 50 Nights at the o2, mainly he was to do it as Prince had done 21 Nights there in 2007 and also bring MJ and his Music back to the forefront.

I also blame the amount of performing he ahd to do as a child, all the TV and publicitiy appearances and everything, he never liked touring even as an adult, as he had to be really talked into doing the Victory tour and was so glad when it was over.

It is also one of the reasons why I prefer Prince more in this regard, Prince is always touring and seems to love it, now he sells outs shows whereever he goes, his new albums don't do much, but people always shell out to hear Purple Rain again and again. I merely suggested Bad Tour as it was the one where he was cancelling the least shows and having great fun on stage. I don't blame him for being exhausted as I know many people would have expected magic every night as he was Michael Jackso and he was supposed to outdo any other show around, be it Madonna, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie etc.

And thats the thing, MJ did not tour that much at all, for those voice reasons and exhaustions. Makes me wonder how he would have handled 50 Nights at the o2, mainly he was to do it as Prince had done 21 Nights there in 2007 and also bring MJ and his Music back to the forefront.

I also blame the amount of performing he ahd to do as a child, all the TV and publicitiy appearances and everything, he never liked touring even as an adult, as he had to be really talked into doing the Victory tour and was so glad when it was over.

It is also one of the reasons why I prefer Prince more in this regard, Prince is always touring and seems to love it, now he sells outs shows whereever he goes, his new albums don't do much, but people always shell out to hear Purple Rain again and again. I merely suggested Bad Tour as it was the one where he was cancelling the least shows and having great fun on stage. I don't blame him for being exhausted as I know many people would have expected magic every night as he was Michael Jackso and he was supposed to outdo any other show around, be it Madonna, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie etc.

I think if you take into account his very unhealthy diet regime - he used to starve and dehydrate himself without even knowing it - plus, his depression due to the media and the tabloid defamation he faced later in his career, it makes much sense. In fact, it's much more than one would expect of a perfectionist like him. Even more amazing when you find out that he used to break his own previous tour records with each tour.

Back