Who had the best connection with Michael when writing music together?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I’m not quite sure how the phrase it. Michael collaborated with tons of other artists/writers/producers with Quincy Jones, Teddy Riley, Rod Temperton, Paul McCartney the most obvious and famous ones. But I have always found Michael’s connection with Buz Kohan really special. Just yesterday I found out about the song “you’re the one” Michael co wrote and produced with Kohan for Jennifer Holliday and it is imo truly special. It’s got something magical that all the songs they did together have. Just listen to gone too soon, you were there, scared of the moon as well and you get the picture.
There is also still “make a wish” which so far hasn’t leaked.

Michael singing “you’re the one” would be truly special though he’d need to make a couple of minor changes to the lyrics. Those 2 should have collaborated even more, you can just sense they were a perfect fit when writing together.

I’m just as curious though to find out what he worked on with guys like Will.I.Am or Ne-Yo or Paul Anka

Best connection is probably Janet, just for the simple fact they're siblings. They connect in ways no one else does.

But, Teddy brought out so many of his ideas so well. Not as well as Brad Buxer though.

Yeah, it's Brad Buxer. Basically the man who let MJ be a self made artist.

Tricky question. I feel like I should probably say Brad Buxer. But my heart goes to Buz Kohan ('Buzzie Wuzzie') but maybe that's just me being over-emotional bc of the song they did for Sammy Davis Jr plus the poem that Buz wrote for Michael. Not the best poem I've ever encountered but I love it, anyway. They did quite a few projects together but they almost seem to be below the radar compared to many other people Michael worked with.

Yeah, I'm going for Buz. ❤️

Quincy was a producer, not really a songwriter. At least not for MJ.

A lot of times when guys like Teddy Riley, Steve Porcaro, Rodney Jerkins, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, Paul McCartney, etc wrote for MJ, he wasn't helping to write the songs himself.

Brad Buxer and Bill Bottrell seem to be the only people who regularly wrote songs with MJ in his solo career, not just for him.

^ I agree 100% with you @Spaceship.

The songs crafted with John Barnes, Bill Bottrell & Brad Buxer were all tailor-made for MJ.

Whereas most Teddy Riley, Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and especially Rodney Jerkins produced songs were basicly MJ covering their songs.

I’d say his brothers randy (‘shake your body’, ‘lovely one’) and jackie (‘can you feel it’), paul mccartney (‘the man’, ‘say say say’), paul anka (‘love never felt so good’). they all helped to bring out different sides to him, whether musically or lyrically.

I actually think rod temperton understood michael’s voice the most, and tailored his songs to fit around it. however, the two didn’t write together..

Teddy Riley for me. Mike and Teddy knocked it out of the park with Dangerous. Teddy's hard hitting beats and Mike's lyrics and hooks were a match made in heaven. They complimented each other so well, and it always felt true to Mike's sound and style, it felt like evolution and reinvention

It was exactly what Mike needed in 91 after Q

Shout out to John Barnes though, we have a lot to thank John for, as he brought a lot of Mike's ideas into the world.

did together have. Just listen to gone too soon, you were there, scared of the moon as well and you get the picture.
There is also still “make a wish” which so far hasn’t leaked.
Yes the Buz Kohan stuff is special, I think the Peter Pan song he sings in that interview was also by him; would love to hear more of it, if anything was ever recorded that is

I forgot to add Wait as a Porcaro/MJ collaboration. Even though Jackie and Steve worked on this one, Porcaro was just a perfect fit for them. He’s a true unsung hero imo. He’s a genius. When you look at the credits and personnel on MJ’s albums you’ll see a lot of contributions from Steve.

Back