Why did Michael refuse to tour in the U.S. ?

There is no reason what so ever Michael would have came home on the Dangerous tour. we know what stopped the show. :(
Michael has Fans everywhere.

Last edited:
I'm from Canada too. He never did promotions here, either.. :lol:

I think it's because Canada is too close to the US???

yeah I know when I was in France I heard Canada & USA mentioned/reported at the same time with alot of things.. ticket sales..movie releases,etc.

MJ seemed to only like MSG anyway. Where would these US This Is It shows take place at anyway?

Firstly, he toured outside US (after 1989) because in foreign territories/markets (Europe, Asia, etc) he was more successful and his album sales were bigger.

Secondly, the 1993 Chandler accusations made many of his American fans stop listening to his music, stop attending his shows, stop respecting him, etc, (which also led to his declined popularity/success there).

Thirdly, there was a technical reason: the stage (i.e., dimensions) of his Dangerous Tour was not really suitable for the US arenas (contrary to the stage of his BAD Tour which was suitable for the US arenas).

Fans wanted him to tour here. The media are the ones who talked crap. They don't speak for us fans. He shouldn't have listen to the people close to him or his record label, and should have done shows here. The success of his Hawaiian shows and his anniversary concerts should have proven that.

Mj wanted to go worldwide. He was already established in the US. Then 93 happens. Horrible tabloids, less desire to perform where you arent welcome (according to the press). I dont blame him tbh. Compare his success in Japan to north america. He never even performed in my country as a solo artist.

Thirdly, there was a technical reason: the stage (i.e., dimensions) of his Dangerous Tour was not really suitable for the US arenas (contrary to the stage of his BAD Tour which was suitable for the US arenas).
And he couldn’t play stadiums because?

Decisions like that that involve expenses and potential revenues of tens of millions of dollars are not made based on the artist’s personal feelings, they’re made based on financial considerations. The HIStory album and singles sales in the US were seen as disappointing, so Sony and promoters must have felt a tour on US soil would end up costing more than it would bring in in terms of ticket sales and album/single sales, while spending the same time and money on an overseas tour would be more lucrative. MJ’s image was also in the doldrums in the US by that point, while it hadn’t taken as much of a hit in Europe and Asia, so it was probably easier to sell out stadiums over there than here.

I'm pretty sure he would have eventually brought the Dangerous tour to the US. The Bad tour started off elsewhere and only came to the US later. That was probably the plan and it would be silly not to tour the United States following the boost in sales Dangerous had in 1993 due to his public appearances (Clinton inaugeration, Grammy Awards, Super Bowl, Oprah, etc). If not for the scandal, I think the Dangerous tour would have come to the United States in 1994.

Back