Why did Michael refuse to tour in the U.S. ?

I can only speculate, but I think that dealing with mean tabloids in other countries, he could deal with that and the name calling because he loved being with and performing for his wonderful fans.

But, the US is his homeland, and I would think that it would hurt so much more to be called names and lied about at home even though he knews he had tons of fans here. The media was cruel to him and I think he didn't feel he had the support that his homeland should have given him.

Being criticized at home really hurts.

Actually the U.S slandered his name way more than any other country, believe it or not.
People seem to have more hate for him there than anywhere else.

I remember Liz Taylor adressing this on Larry king, he asked her why Michael didn't tour U.S anymore and she basically said: why should he? after the way he's been treated here.

Actually the U.S slandered his name way more than any other country, believe it or not.
I remember Liz Taylor adressing this on Larry king when he asked her why Michael didn't tour U.S anymore, she basically said: why should he? after the way he's been treated here.

Im with Liz!! To be ripped apart the way he was in America his home land must have really hurt! :no:

Im with Liz!! To be ripped apart the way he was in America his home land must have really hurt! :no:

I'm sure it did hurt.

Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible 'cause you ignore me?
Your proclamation promised me free liberty, now.
I'm tired of bein' the victim of shame
They're throwin' me in a class with a bad name
I can't believe this is the land from which I came

:(

He would have toured in the U.S. again. :( Kenny Ortega said that after London they were going to take the TII tour to Africa, India, Japan and then finally the U.S. Travis Payne said that this was a 3 to 4 year commitment.

yea i think he would of toured the us again just the o2 50 nights(or what ever) came up and seemed like a good idea at the time and then ifit went well would of toured around the world inc the usa

And that's why i just don't get it that after the trip to Bahrain..he came back and starting living in the county..where basically he got arrested and being treated as shit.
After all those things that happened..and still wanted to live in that area.

And that's why i just don't get it that after the trip to Bahrain..he came back and starting living in the county..where basically he got arrested and being treated as shit.
After all those things that happened..and still wanted to live in that area.

Because it was still home. His mother and sibllings were here and his children were born here.

Despite all the ridiculous crap he was put through in the states, it is still very difficult to forever leave your homeland.

ETA: especially for someone like Michael in which acceptance had always been important to him.

He would have toured in the U.S. again. :( Kenny Ortega said that after London they were going to take the TII tour to Africa, India, Japan and then finally the U.S. Travis Payne said that this was a 3 to 4 year commitment.

Had that doctor not f-ed everything up he would have came back to the US, probably the first place after London that he would have toured here. This is what made me really angry, because if that was the case, I would've had an opportunity to go see Michael Jackson in concert for the first time in my life. :cry:

Michael is a businessman and an entertainer and all his work is USA wether he like it or not. also MJ is fond of art and films ,that's why he was going to live in Las Vegas and start a film career .
and do not forget MSG 3 nights... actually this was the last MJ's performances.

After the trial he needed to get away to have some space and recover from the trauma of the ordeal. I always believed he would come back. I think he would have performed again in the US.

trust me he had a lot of love in the U.S but its Unfortunate he didn't know thanks to the media and how they dragged his every moved. But i will say the U.S did turn their backs on him too I so proud when he did his speech in NY so many young adults came

He may have toured the U.S at some point...i mean, since he died we will only know about the U.K. dates forever.
but, what pissed me off was some of the remarks from the media after the tour was announced. i hardly heard that it was ''record breaking'' on the news here. and these media people have this thing where if your an American star and you start only performing overseas, they assume your career is down the drain. ...i did hear remarks like that. it would be like wow 50 dates, but then say ''oh but its overseas, he's big there''. that annoyed me to pieces. can't they see how big he is everywhere???? it made me want Mike to tour here to shut them up. they don't care unless its in America.

Because it was still home. His mother and sibllings were here and his children were born here.

Despite all the ridiculous crap he was put through in the states, it is still very difficult to forever leave your homeland.

ETA: especially for someone like Michael in which acceptance had always been important to him.

exactly, he's American. home is home. i never thought he would stay overseas for long. the U.S. is main home.

I remember Liz Taylor adressing this on Larry king, he asked her why Michael didn't tour U.S anymore and she basically said: why should he? after the way he's been treated here.

He's American so naturally we would talk about him the most. we enjoy dissing our own. but, if your talking about slandered names, that certain word that we can't say here, did not come from the U.S.
(although Americans had no issue calling him that word themselves.)

He may have toured the U.S at some point...i mean, since he died we will only know about the U.K. dates forever.
but, what pissed me off was some of the remarks from the media after the tour was announced. i hardly heard that it was ''record breaking'' on the news here. and these media people have this thing where if your an American star and you start only performing overseas, they assume your career is down the drain. ...i did hear remarks like that. it would be like wow 50 dates, but then say ''oh but its overseas, he's big there''. that annoyed me to pieces. can't they see how big he is everywhere???? it made me want Mike to tour here to shut them up. they don't care unless its in America.

exactly, he's American. home is home. i never thought he would stay overseas for long. the U.S. is main home.

He's American so naturally we would talk about him the most. we enjoy dissing our own. but, if your talking about slandered names, that certain word that we can't say here, did not come from the U.S.
(although Americans had no issue calling him that word themselves.)

true...but IT was mainly the MEDIA with it's miles of TV Screens glowing,not the people of USA
plus usa is a melting pot of EVERYTHING.. it is soo competiative in the USA.. I HATE how the Media did MJ in USA but He still Had thousands of Fans in his homeland..and they traveled outside of the country to see his tours. MJ's fans are loyal.. Also I hate how the MEDIA did MJ everywhere across the globe! not just America...hate is global.

Last edited:
ALLLLLLRIGHT, no USA (or any other country) bashing!!!!!!!

That's interesting as it wasn't like he was performing in some random arena in some random country-he was due to do a residency at the o2 arena in the UK. The o2, that gets the biggest acts in the world to perform there, and is the world's busiest arena. Obviously it was huge, huge news here and the media never stopped reporting it.

I see this as how they prepare shows for Broadway - by starting the play or musical in another state so they can work out the kinks. Then they perfect the show for when it opens on Broadway. By the time his tour would have reached the states it would have been perfected and all the kinks worked out. Just a theory.:D

I agree it seems to be a press thing. Not living in the States I am not too sure what public perception of him is though - I assumed he was popular although I have a very very negative friend who lives in Conneticut and everytime we discuss him she insists that nothing of his sells in the US as everyone hated him - - - - - I find that real hard to believe.... what do you guys think that live in the US?

I do notice here though that over the last few years hardly anyone was an MJ fan - then the minute the concert was announced they came flooding out of the woodwork and even more so since his death.... I can remember during the dangerous tour the Wembley tickets were still selling on the night and we bagged tix for the press box for my husband and bro. in law..... sorry for taking this O/T!

The Dangerous Tour was planned to come to the states in 1994, But the rest of the tour was canceled due to the 1993 mess.

HIStory did have 2 concerts in the Hawaii, which isn't in the mainland US. I had read when the HIStory tour was announced that a third leg was tentatively planned for 1998 (But NEVER officially announced), but again was scrapped. Several reasons I would think come into play. Exhaustion, Becoming a father
and perhaps even Diana's Death? Plus there is still the whole "signing things with 1998 mystery".

He planned the One Night Only concert in New York, And The 2 MSG concerts that happened in New York. He performed in the UWS concert as well.

So I don't think it was a desire not to perform or tour in America, although he may have been unsure of it for the HIStory tour. It's a shame though, I really would have loved to see him.

The Dangerous Tour was planned to come to the states in 1994, But the rest of the tour was canceled due to the 1993 mess.
ppl mention this but ive never seen any evidence of it. no dates were ever announced no tickets went on sale unlike the austrailian leg which should have happened around the same time

I'm pretty sure he would have toured the states in 94 if nothing had went down in 93. Everything was canceled before any dates were set or tickets went on sale. Even though the tour ended in Nov 93, MJ probably had in mind to cancel the tour shortly after the 93 allegations surfaced. He completed (Most of ) the dates and simply didn't add anymore.

From what I have heard was the plan was release Dangerous as a single in the winter, and to film the Dangerous short film for a late winter release. The U.S. Leg would have been in spring-summer 94. So if this was the case, no evidence of dates or locations exists because everything was canceled long before they were announced. I see no reason why MJ wouldn't have toured the US with Dangerous if the 93 mess didn't come up. There was a reason he was saving Dangerous as the last single, it was the only radio ready dance track left. It would have given a nice boost to sales.

Then again, if all this went down, we probably wouldn't have had HIStory in 1995. Well not in the form we got at least. It probably would have been a hits package with 2 or 3 new songs, like the shelved decade project of 1990. If the 93 thing never happened, then half of the material on HIStory probably wouldn't exists. (In lyric form at least)

Actually it is only when I came to live in the us that is when I learnt how much Michael was really reviled and hated, the US media saw him as a threat and was able to convince allot of people to hate him.

I don't remember the last time he toured Canada either...:( I think it may have been back during the Victory tour...I believe he came to Toronto, but I was 2 years old...lol....Why did he never come to Canada?? Anyone know??

I'm pretty sure he would have toured the states in 94 if nothing had went down in 93. Everything was canceled before any dates were set or tickets went on sale. Even though the tour ended in Nov 93, MJ probably had in mind to cancel the tour shortly after the 93 allegations surfaced. He completed (Most of ) the dates and simply didn't add anymore.

From what I have heard was the plan was release Dangerous as a single in the winter, and to film the Dangerous short film for a late winter release. The U.S. Leg would have been in spring-summer 94. So if this was the case, no evidence of dates or locations exists because everything was canceled long before they were announced. I see no reason why MJ wouldn't have toured the US with Dangerous if the 93 mess didn't come up. There was a reason he was saving Dangerous as the last single, it was the only radio ready dance track left. It would have given a nice boost to sales.

Then again, if all this went down, we probably wouldn't have had HIStory in 1995. Well not in the form we got at least. It probably would have been a hits package with 2 or 3 new songs, like the shelved decade project of 1990. If the 93 thing never happened, then half of the material on HIStory probably wouldn't exists. (In lyric form at least)

Which would have been a shame...I LOVE HIStory!!

Exactly! And to leave and never come back just isn't Michael. That would have given all the haters too much satisfaction, it would have been giving up. He could have easily ran away from all this, he could have easily pulled a Roman Polanski and fled the country, never to return, when those child molestation charges were filed against him, but he didn't. He knew he was innocent and he wanted to prove it.

Many people in his homeland may have turned their backs on him, but he did not turn his back on his homeland. It was Michael's nature. Despite being treated so poorly he still wanted to see the good in people.

Had that doctor not f-ed everything up he would have came back to the US, probably the first place after London that he would have toured here. This is what made me really angry, because if that was the case, I would've had an opportunity to go see Michael Jackson in concert for the first time in my life. :cry:

I also believe this. I don't think Michael would punish his American fans like that because of the media and the haters' cruelty. And had things been different and Michael took TII to the US I so would have went. It makes me so sad that I never got to see him in concert :cry:

I don't think it was intentional and was mainly an issue due to circumstance. Why he never toured the mainland US during the HIStory tour we'll never know. Some countries got him more than others and we're never going to know the full reason behind it. I hate it when it turns into a country bashing thread. As Michael said he's a citizen of the world, not just one place.

I don't remember the last time he toured Canada either...:( I think it may have been back during the Victory tour...I believe he came to Toronto, but I was 2 years old...lol....Why did he never come to Canada?? Anyone know??

I'm from Canada too. He never did promotions here, either.. :lol:

I think it's because Canada is too close to the US???

Back