Why didn’t MJ make more albums?

There's nothing insulting about TUC. You'd maybe have a point if you were talking about King of Pop 4 years later. Or heck, Number Ones in 2003. That had 1 new song at least. TUC had multiple. It's an entirely separate audience though.
Nothing wrong with compilations. It's just that mixing old and new material is a lousy move designed to take advantage of gullible suckers. TUC was an aimless and indiscriminate collection of whatever they can think of. It's not the perfect album for anybody

He did 1 album a year or more from 1969 to 1980,
I posted this in another thread. I guess the full sequence is:

Maybe Tomorrow
Got to Be There
Lookin' Through the Windows
Ben
Skywriter
Music & Me
G.I.T.: Get It Together
Dancing Machine
Forever, Michael
Moving Violation
The Jacksons
Goin' Places
Destiny
Off the Wall
Triumph
Thriller
Victory
Bad

& Number Ones
Yeah. HIStory, TUC, Number Ones, Best Of, Greatest Hits, Anthology, Very Best of, Millennium Collection, Essential, KOP, Gold, Motown Years, Definitive Collection, Indispensable Collection, Ultimate Fans Collection, etc

Each one is decent enough, but each one is typically missing 2 or 3 songs. And certainly buying more that one is unnecessary...

HIStory, TUC, Number Ones, Best Of, Greatest Hits, Anthology, Very Best of, Millennium Collection, Essential, KOP, Gold, Motown Years, Definitive Collection, Indispensable Collection, Ultimate Fans Collection, etc
Yet some of them are/were mandatory to have if you want to add certain songs to your collection.

I don't really consider 10 a bad amount for MJ. 6 in his adult career. I wouldn't want a Thriller Bad interquel or whatever. Most of the time, he makes music to summarize a whole decade.

The only album I would've wanted is the follow up to Invincible.

But compare to say, Adele (3) or Nirvana (3). Even Prince, for all his work, only (only) made 39. He was almost at 40. :(

Yet some of them are/were mandatory to have if you want to add certain songs to your collection.
And that's what I meant about it being a lousy move designed to take advantage of gullible suckers.

But yeah, luckily only a very small number of those albums were like that, so the rest can be safely ignored.

But compilations would be easier to digest,at least in the case of an average fan or listener,right?
That is pretty much the way that I, at least,see it.
With some acts, their Greatest Hits/Best Of sold way more than any of their regular albums (The Carpenters, Eagles, Abba, Johnny Mathis, Queen, etc.). Johnny Mathis is the first artist to really popularize the Greatest Hits and Christmas album. By now Motown has probably released thousands of compilations, primarily on their 1960s material. Aretha Franklin's biggest selling album is her gospel one Amazing Grace, not any of her R&B records. Even multiple artist compilations are popular like the old K-Tel ones & the more recent That's What I Call Music. There's a reason there were 45s, radio listeners in general did not want to buy the albums, they only wanted the song on the radio. Sometimes the single version is a remix, which wouldn't be on the album anyway. Or it was a non-album song and/or had a non-album B-side. With The Beatles, their non-album stuff was later put on the 2 compilations Past Masters.

You can't rush perfection, Michael didn't and the results speak for themselves. No fillers, no rushed products

The long wait and anticipation for the next album made you appreciate the album more and crucially I think Mike at the height of his powers always delivered

If I could choose an era I wished he would have done another album would be either 1989-90, his voice was perfect there or in 1998 because his voice during the Dr Freeze sessions was exquisite.

But compilations would be easier to digest,at least in the case of an averrage fan or listener,right?
That is pretty much the way that I,at least,see it.
Yes, if you're a one off casual, then I just recommend The Essential Michael Jackson 3.0 CD. That was the perfect greatest hits.

But even then, you buy Thriller, that's basically Michael Jackson at his peak.

With some acts, their Greatest Hits/Best Of sold way more than any of their regular albums (The Carpenters, Eagles, Abba, Johnny Mathis, Queen, etc.). Johnny Mathis is the first artist to really popularize the Greatest Hits and Christmas album. By now Motown has probably released thousands of compilations, primarily on their 1960s material. Aretha Franklin's biggest selling album is her gospel one Amazing Grace, not any of her R&B records. Even multiple artist compilations are popular like the old K-Tel ones & the more recent That's What I Call Music. There's a reason there were 45s, radio listeners in general did not want to buy the albums, they only wanted the song on the radio. Sometimes the single version is a remix, which wouldn't be on the album anyway. Or it was a non-album song and/or had a non-album B-side. With The Beatles, their non-album stuff was later put on the 2 compilations Past Masters.
Thank you for the information,mr/mrs @DuranDuran moreover!
It is much appreciated,truth be told 💜

But compilations would be easier to digest,at least in the case of an averrage fan or listener,right?
That is pretty much the way that I,at least,see it.
Exactly. Let's pick another artist - I'm definitely not a Janet fan, therefore I'm not gonna buy 5 individual albums. But I bought a greatest hits just so I had the 5-10 songs that I knew. My criteria was a single-CD release (didn't wanna be changing discs in the car).

My criteria is basically:
  • If I only have a passing interest in a band, I'll buy a greatest hits or live album
  • If I really like a band, I'll buy a couple/all of their studio albums
  • If I really really like a band, I'll buy all their studio albums, plus their singles (for the B-sides)
In either case, I'm not gonna buy a combination of studio albums and compilation albums. That would be silly. They're two very distinct markets, and it's insulting when a label like Sony tries to combine the two.

You can't rush perfection, Michael didn't and the results speak for themselves. No fillers, no rushed products

The long wait and anticipation for the next album made you appreciate the album more and crucially I think Mike at the height of his powers always delivered
But with MJ, he basically got to the point where every album sold at least 5 million copies (ie a mega album).

So with that being the case, isn't it better to have 3 or 4 albums per decade instead of just 2? All this stuff about "making you appreciate the album more" doesn't actually mean anything.

Yes, if you're a one off casual, then I just recommend The Essential Michael Jackson 3.0 CD. That was the perfect greatest hits.
Everybody has a different answer to this (because there are so many, lol). But my answer would be Number Ones DVD. That's the best summary of his creative output.

Compilations never sound as good either, though.
They can sound identical to the original album. It's just that labels often choose to make them sound worse.

Actually, that's also the case with studio albums too. We have at least 5 different versions of Thriller, with the newer ones sounding much worse than the older ones.

Back