Why is Can't Get Outta The Rain heard in the E.T. Storybook?

Maxym

Proud Member
Donations
$6.00
At approximately 7:40 into side A, Michael talks about a light coming through a kitchen window. At that moment there's background music.
I had never paid much attention to it but but right now I think that it's a part of Can't Get Outta The Rain *
Could this have to do with the reason CGOTR was ever made in the first place?

Is it in the movie? I don't have it to check. I suspect it's replacing something from the movie to make some kind of transition to suggest that E.T. is coming to a house where people are just living their lives no expecting anyone or something like that.

( * Yes, right now I think it's Can't Get Outta The Rain and not some part of You Can't Win , could be mistaking.)

Edit - Bonus theory: There theories that E.T. and Star Wars happen in the same universe (due E.T. moving object the same way as Star Wars' jedis, E.T.'s reaction when seing someone dressed as Yoda...). So if MJ is heard singing in E.T., doesn't that make Michael Jackson a Star Wars universe character?

Last edited:
It does sound like it

CGOOTR is just the second half of You Can't Win that was recorded in 1978.

It does sound like it

CGOOTR is just the second half of You Can't Win that was recorded in 1978.

Thank you but, well, I was thinking of writing in my post something like "Please no one comes explain "again" that CGOTR is derived from a part of you can't win..." (because, heard too many times in loops any time CGOTR is mentioned ;-) ).
And it's also somewhat wrong/confusing: You Can't Win (part 2) is the B-Side of the You Can't Win 12 inch. But it is not the second half of You Can't Win , it is part a part of You Can't Win it's as it is on side A, not the beginning, not the end, just a part of it that is repeated on side B. It would rather be the "late middle" of You Can't Win . Side A contains the complete song (Now, maybe this b-side was made with a 7 inch in mind, which I don't have).
(And yet, I have not checked if CGOTR is based on You Can't Win (part 2) or on another random cut from the full song. Maybe that should be a whole thread on it's own.)
The, lyrics on CGOTR have been re-recorded. I think the main difference is it says "Can't get outta the rain" instead of "Can't get out of the game".

--> Back to topic please: Why and how is CGOTR heard in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial storybook? And does it explain why it's ever been created? (Though it's still a weird choice...)

Last edited:
Thank you but, well, I was thinking of writing in my post something like "Please no one comes explain "again" that CGOTR is derived from a part of you can't win..." (because, heard too many times in loops any time CGOTR is mentioned ;-) ).
And it's also somewhat wrong/confusing: You Can't Win (part 2) is the B-Side of the You Can't Win 12 inch. But it is not the second half of You Can't Win , it is part a part of You Can't Win it's as it is on side A, not the beginning, not the end, just a part of it that is repeated on side B. It would rather be the "late middle" of You Can't Win . Side A contains the complete song (Now, maybe this b-side was made with a 7 inch in mind, which I don't have).
(And yet, I have not checked if CGOTR is based on You Can't Win (part 2) or on another random cut from the full song. Maybe that should be a whole thread on it's own.)
The, lyrics on CGOTR have been re-recorded. I think the main difference is it says "Can't get outta the rain" instead of "Can't get out of the game".

--> Back to topic please: Why and how is CGOTR heard in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial storybook? And does it explain why it's ever been created? (Though it's still a weird choice...)

"Game" was changed to "Rain" and is the only re-recorded part of the song....what's playing in ET is most likely the original 1978 version.

Back