Why is Michael treated the way he is by the media?

Ignore. Mis-read.

Last edited:
Just found this thread while I was doing a search for something else and wanted to get this discussion going again, in light of the last manufactured scandal.

I agree that it was about Michael not "knowing his place" as a black man. I think that it is also about the media being filled with people who have some serious psychological issues (I know it sounds harsh and does not apply to them all). And recently I entertained the thought that Michael had become an object of white female desire and how much of an issue that may have been.

Finally, it had to be frustrating that after everything they say or print about Michael, he was still loved and adored. Have you guys seen the footage of Michael at the World Music Awards in 2006 and during his time in London when he announced the O2 performances in 2009? It was like 1984 all over again. This man whose career was over 35 years old and who had been through a brutal trial in court and in public opinion. By all rights, he should not have been received the way he was. But you could feel the love that he received. That would have galled a lot of people in the media. It would be like "Why. Won't. He. Stay. Down! Damnit!!!" LOL.

While racism is certainly a part of it it is not just that in MJ's case. It's a mixture of several things. It is also about people's general intolerance of difference. MJ wasn't just a black man, but he was also very different. Many people, including the media, will give lip service to tolerance and will be preachy about how we shouldn't bully people but then they turn around and will do just that. And many people feel the need to pathologize difference and to suspect ulterior motives behind it. And if there is nothing to prove such ulterior motives then they will create some, like in this case, to "confirm" their already existing prejudices against anything that is different and anything that they distrust because it is different.

And in this particular case of course there is also a more practical reason as well - namely, Radar Online is in cohorts with the Wade Robson/James Safechuck legal team and I am sure they are creating these stories to create buzz for them and increase the pressure on the Estate to try to make them settle and in collaboration with them. What is in it for Radar Online (and other tabloid media) is nothing esoteric - it is simply money. Sensational headlines create clicks and in turn they create money for them - as simple as that. Fair, balanced articles never spread like wildfire, sensationalist garbage however does. Tabloids are buisness. They want to make money, not be fair and ethical. It is sad that "journalism" is in this state today.

I think that it is also about the media being filled with people who have some serious psychological issues (I know it sounds harsh and does not apply to them all).

I think that's not far fetched at all either. I once read an article about which jobs attract psychopaths the most. Journalist was #6 and TV, media #3. I can see why. Media, TV, journalism can give people a certain sense of power. You are able to control people's minds and narrative about certain issues and people, you are able to build up and then tear down people in the most horrible ways, you can manipulate many, many people etc. And that with hardly any responsibility at all (journalists are protected by a lot of privileges - such as the Shield Law). I can see why that would attract a psychopath. Of course this doesn't mean all journalists are psychopaths. I am sure there are many who are genuine, ethical people. But I am also sure that a lot of them, especially the ones who write for tabloids, have some psychological issues going on if they enjoy what they are doing so much.

(Note: People often associate "psychopath" with the serial killers they see in crime documentaries but that's just an extreme case of psychopathy. Most psychopaths are not serial killers but they blend well in society (seemingly). However they are highly manipulative, cunning, they are uncapable of feeling empathy, remorse etc. They do whatever they want with no regards to how it may affect other people.)

Last edited:
Back