Why is the Estate so lazy when it comes to 4K restorations?

I can see the difference when they DNR the footage like on that new Beatles Get Back miniseries. They look like plastic or wax figures. 😄 I don't understand the point of removing grain to try to make it look like current digital shot stuff. It just takes out the detail.
The only time where that makes sense is doing A.I Upscales

The only time where that makes sense is doing A.I Upscales

As I'm frequently upscaling videos using non-articifial intelligence (you may have seen some Ghosts video out there somewhere but I also do stuff that have nothing to do with MJ) and considering the results I've seen from AI upscales, I'm not quite sold on "AI" upscales... seems they just approximately take control over stuff that one can do better manually.

And removing grain , to some extent may be good, but it all depends on what's in the images. (example: if a video like MJ's Scream had grain, it wouldn't fit with the video. For old Beatles footage, I agree, grain could probably stay.)

As I'm frequently upscaling videos using non-articifial intelligence (you may have seen some Ghosts video out there somewhere but I also do stuff that have nothing to do with MJ) and considering the results I've seen from AI upscales, I'm not quite sold on "AI" upscales... seems they just approximately take control over stuff that one can do better manually.

And removing grain , to some extent may be good, but it all depends on what's in the images. (example: if a video like MJ's Scream had grain, it wouldn't fit with the video. For old Beatles footage, I agree, grain could probably stay.)
AI upscales can look impressive at first but then you look at it on a larger screen and can see that it's quite the mess most of the time.
Remember that the source is SD

Just no... randomly, people look like they're made of wax, various shapes including faces are mess up/blinking, details are not there... can't watch this :)

A lot of DNR was used with the beatles footage because a lot of it was shot in dim environments and was very grainy and bad looking. Rescanning to HD and using lots of DNR are not tied to one another.
It's film, it's supposed to have grain. Film cameras have been around a lot longer than digital cameras. There's different qualities of film stock, so some will be grainier than others. The Aretha Franklin concert movie Amazing Grace was released around a year or 2 ago. They didn't remove any of the grain. To me it looks way better than Get Back. Amazing Grace doesn't look like video game people like The Beatles do. Degraining is for the same people who watch colorized black & white movies/TV, because they are not used to seeing black & white. It's like younger people who are used to watching CGI are not as likely going to get Ray Harryhausen style effects or those old Godzilla movies with a guy in a rubber suit.

I still can not believe Dangerous concert and BAD concert is not available digital.

Why not make them available on some streaming platforms - or at least to buy digitally...

MJ's music videos are part of (music industry) history. - The evolution of music videoes, the entire artform.

It's should be considered a crime not to restore them into best possible quality. :D

Just no... randomly, people look like they're made of wax, various shapes including faces are mess up/blinking, details are not there... can't watch this :)
There's much worse
c_image.php

c_image.php

I still can not believe Dangerous concert and BAD concert is not available digital.

Why not make them available on some streaming platforms - or at least to buy digitally...
Well the estate put them both on youtube for free lol

A lot of DNR was used with the beatles footage because a lot of it was shot in dim environments and was very grainy and bad looking. Rescanning to HD and using lots of DNR are not tied to one another.
The reason might be that the director Peter Jackson doesn't seem to like film grain. Recent Lord of the Rings 4K versions also use too much DNR.

Well the estate put them both on youtube for free lol

Problem is, quality is not the best on youtube. - I would prefer it on AppleTV, Netflix, HBO or one of those streaming services.

Problem is, quality is not the best on youtube. - I would prefer it on AppleTV, Netflix, HBO or one of those streaming services.
That's not the problem at all, since Bucharest and Wembley have the native SD quality, which it wouldn't change at all using Netflix or whatever.

It would. The DVDs look better than what is on Youtube. Youtube compression makes the quality worse.
Yeah, people seem to underestimate how much youtube actually compresses video. Doesn't matter what the quality is it'll look worse once it goes through YouTube.

Shot on film doesn't necessarily mean anything. Most 1980s & 1990s music videos were edited on videotape, no matter how they were originally shot. A lot of TV shows from that time were edited on tape too, and many sitcoms were filmed on videotape. If the music videos were edited on tape, any special effects would most likely have to be done over from scratch. Which would mean, it wouldn't be the exact same video. It would be like when they added new CGI effects to the 1960s Star Trek show a few years ago. There was no CGI in the '60s. There's a 4K version of the Eurythmics video Missionary Man. The only parts that are actually 4K are the performance parts which were scanned from the original film, but the effects parts came from videotape. You can easily tell the difference in picture quality between the 2 sources. In some cases, the original film footage for music videos was thrown out or lost after they were edited. I don't know if that's the case with Mike's videos. Also I think some of the earlier ones like Rock With You was shot on tape, so you can't make a HD or 4K of those.

Charmed TV show was shot in 35mm with SD CGI in each episodes, and look what they've done. They beautifully restored the entire show in HD, upscaling CGI and it still looks nice.

By the way MJ's shot films don't have any CGI in Thriller/Bad Era. They would need more work for Dangerous/History era.

Last edited:
I believe they are holding out and delaying intentionally. They probably have it done and are sitting on it for something specific.

Back