Why was Heal the World lower in This is it ?

Svis

Proud Member
At first I though they lowered it just for the outro but apparently they also rehearsed it lowered. Why ? It doesnt seem to be very difficult to sing especially since he was probably going to lip sync it (btw if someone could explain why he lip synced this seemingly simple song to sing) maybe he wanted to sing live ? Also I'm wondering the same for IJCSLY since it also doesn't seem very hard to sing...

It was usually the last song on his later tours. When his voice was tired he still wanted the important message to be clear and triumphant (the ad libs were sung live). I think this answers both questions. On This is it he wanted to be able to sing all songs live if possible, while still considering vocal sustainability.

It was usually the last song on his later tours. When his voice was tired he still wanted the important message to be clear and triumphant (the ad libs were sung live). I think this answers both questions. On This is it he wanted to be able to sing all songs live if possible, while still considering vocal sustainability.
I see, I think the lowered song meant he wanted to sing them live like WBSS and Beat it, and when the pitch was the same it would mean lip sync (except for Human Nature).

At first I though they lowered it just for the outro but apparently they also rehearsed it lowered. Why ? It doesnt seem to be very difficult to sing especially since he was probably going to lip sync it (btw if someone could explain why he lip synced this seemingly simple song to sing) maybe he wanted to sing live ? Also I'm wondering the same for IJCSLY since it also doesn't seem very hard to sing...

I guess it was lowered to make it appear he was singing it live.

MJ would have never have sung HTW live for TII anyway, it already sounded very bad the last times he did (pieces of) it

I guess it was lowered to make it appear he was singing it live.

MJ would have never have sung HTW live for TII anyway, it already sounded very bad the last times he did (pieces of) it
Maybe he wanted to sing part of it so he lowered it to make sure he didn't sound bad as you say ?

he wanted to sing as much of TII live as possible, whether HTW woulda been live is up in the air, the lowered key suggests that he wanted it live as that specific song at a lower key is very quite easy to sing, but also as someone pointed out vocal sustainability, at the end of the show he gets a 3-4 minute break there before his mic is turned on where he can save his voice for the next 4 songs that are vocally demanding (WYBT, Billie Jean, MITM) - IJCSLY isn't hard to sing but its not easy, and he clearly could do it as the unedited vocals from the film for that song show

Yea true, it would make sense for him to want to sing live more, since it was the last show he wanted to please his fans so probably sing more song live, if only they happened... At least one would've been enough

Maybe he wanted to sing part of it so he lowered it to make sure he didn't sound bad as you say ?
Hmm could be, but to be honest the former times he sang it his voice was just to hoarse, I don't think lowering it would fix that. And him wanting to sing more songs live for TII, is there a source on that? I can hardly believe this would have happened..

Hmm could be, but to be honest the former times he sang it his voice was just to hoarse, I don't think lowering it would fix that. And him wanting to sing more songs live for TII, is there a source on that? I can hardly believe this would have happened..
That's something that has been bothering me too because we don't have any answers, and I'm still sometimes raging that we didn't get a single concert to get all of our answers

Same reason “Beat It” and other songs were lowered: it made his voice sound “older” and would throw some people off the trail when he was miming. “Heal the World” is written in a lower register, so there’s no way it was done for sustainability.

Same reason “Beat It” and other songs were lowered: it made his voice sound “older” and would throw some people off the trail when he was miming. “Heal the World” is written in a lower register, so there’s no way it was done for sustainability.
Wait what do you mean "was written in a lower register", I don't see the connection to sustainability

Wait what do you mean "was written in a lower register", I don't see the connection to sustainability
He did not need to lower the song because he could very easily hit the notes in the original. I’m assuming that‘s what @AlwaysThere meant. And it’s true, he did not need to lower it, but it did give the impression that he sang live because his voice sounded more mature.

Back