Window Shopping

Hot_Street

Proud Member
Window Shopping was released after the J5 had left Motown. I wonder, why it wasn't released earlier. It doesn't sound like an outtake. I think it's quite catchy. What do you think?

Joyful Jukebox Music is an entire album of outtakes mainly from the Skywriter and Get it together album sessions.

Motown released it when they did to cash in on The Jacksons first release on Epic.

Joyful Jukebox Music is an entire album of outtakes mainly from the Skywriter and Get it together album sessions.

Motown released it when they did to cash in on The Jacksons first release on Epic.
That's so wrongšŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Basically, MJ/J5 recorded 20 years of songs in 10 years

Window Shopping was recorded in December 1973 during the DANCING MACHINE sessions. Other songs recorded during this month include "I Can't Get Enough Of You" (released in 2012), "You're Good For Me" (released in 1986) and "I"ll Come Home To You" (released in 1975).

Around the same time Jermaine recorded a solo album with Philadelphia International producers & session musicians. Berry Gordy and/or Motown cancelled Jermaine's album, probably because it had a lot of the same people who would wind up working on The Jacksons' debut album on Epic/PI. Jermaine's album was supposed to be called Do Unto Others, it even had a track listing. One song from the sessions came out on a various artists compilation (not on Motown) in the early 2000s, but the rest is still unreleased. A few tracks have leaked, they're posted on Youtube.

With The Jackson 5, a couple of years after Joyful Jukebox Music, Motown released another album called Boogie, some of it was unreleased at the time and other tracks were previously released like ABC.

Window Shopping was released after the J5 had left Motown. I wonder, why it wasn't released earlier. It doesn't sound like an outtake. I think it's quite catchy. What do you think?

There are many Motown tracks that I wonder why they were outtakes... Things that were released late on compilations like Soulsation! , Come And Get It, etc.

The reason may be that they simply had more tracks than what they could market...

With The Jackson 5, a couple of years after Joyful Jukebox Music, Motown released another album called Boogie, some of it was unreleased at the time and other tracks were previously released like ABC.

Isn't ABC a different version on Boogie ? (not checking right now). Some tracks are still only available on Boogie I think.

Love it.

Isn't ABC a different version on Boogie ? (not checking right now). Some tracks are still only available on Boogie I think.
Not that I know of, unless it's the single version. I have Boogie. A few of the early J5 singles were released in mono mixes instead of stereo. Other than it being in mono, I think it was identical to the album version. Sometimes a mono was different than a stereo, like Helter Skelter by The Beatles. There were also what was called "fake stereo" when the record labels first started doing stereo. These are easy to spot, usually the vocals are on one speaker and the instruments on the other. It's unlikely they would have put a mono version on an otherwise stereo album, or a mono mix at all in 1979. In the early 2000s Motown released a series of box sets of the A & B sides of every single from the beginning in 1959 up to around 1973 or 1974. This isn't just Jackson 5 though. These sets do have the mono versions if the 45 was released that way.

Dancing Machine is slightly different on Boogie than the 2 earlier versions.

ABC on Boogie is the album version. The version of "Make tonight all mine" is different on Joyful Jukebox and Michael Jackson Anthology (1995 version).

I have Joyful Jukebox Music and Boogie on one album with the previously unreleased Hum Along And Dance (Uncut)

Back