Would you consider Michael to have been a self-destructive man?

Would you consider Michael to have been a self-destructive man?

• Yes

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

KingofPop125

Proud Member
MJ lived a life that was never not exciting, in both a good and bad way. But do you consider him to have, in the end, been a self-destructive person? And if so, in what sense?

MJ lived a life that was never not exciting, in both a good and bad way. But do you consider him to have, in the end, been a self-destructive person? And if so, in what sense?
Can you explain better please, I think I know what you mean, but I didn't understand much

Can you explain better please, I think I know what you mean, but I didn't understand much
Sure. According to the google definition, self-destructive is an adjective meanng “destroying or causing serious harm to oneself”. This could mean a variety of things, in both a physical and/or mental sense. For example, being an alcoholic or living in complete isolation are self-destructive.

This is a loaded question, but I’ll attempt to provide my two cents. When I think about what led to MJ’s physical and mental health deterioration over the years and eventually his passing, unfortunately I do feel some of it resulted from self-destructive behaviors like being too dependent upon and/ or overdosing on the sleeping meds/ prescription drugs that his family and even doctors warned him against.

Also, I think isolation and his tendency to keep all his feelings bottled up inside instead of confiding in trusted family & true friends (for example Janet Jackson) were other unhealthy habits that ended up hurting him in the long run.

MJ trusted ppl too easily too (sadly much to his own detriment) and, from sources I’ve read online as well as my impression of him as an artist who strived to go above & beyond and was a perfectionist, he seemed to have a bit of a stubborn side to him - so it’s likely he wasn’t the type to readily be receptive to advice/ make better choices as could have been recommended by ppl in his inner circle. I also wish MJ advocated for himself more and cleared up misconceptions sooner rather than later in his career (like the fact that he struggled with Vitiligo), so that media and tabloids wouldn’t constantly target him from the get-go and come up with stories/ spread rumors that vilified him and his reputation.

A lot of things could’ve been different for MJ if he just had access to genuine and rightful guidance, care, trust, and love. But the media, family & “friends,” ppl he worked with, other artists, his social circle, and the global community at large failed to protect him. I wish things could’ve turned out better for MJ.

In my opinion, I do not consider his behavior to be self-destructive. At least it wasn't his conscious choice.

I think some part of people will agree that even an ordinary person can find it very difficult to live in society. And very often events happen to people that do not depend on them, but can push them to self-destruction. And what happens to a person who has lived in public view since childhood, I think you can try to imagine.

Of course, it’s difficult to judge Michael or any person in general, because we don’t know all the details one hundred percent.
I have already read a lot about his life, listened to interviews, etc.
And I think that he was very strong, despite the fact that he was just a man who was subject to inhuman pressure.

Maybe some decisions he made in life were not entirely correct, from the outside it’s clearer, especially after so much time and how the world has changed, but we will also never know how his life would have changed if he had accepted this or that the solution is completely different.
So I don't think his behavior was self-destructive, it was the destructive influence of the world he encountered.

In my opinion, I do not consider his behavior to be self-destructive. At least it wasn't his conscious choice.

I think some part of people will agree that even an ordinary person can find it very difficult to live in society. And very often events happen to people that do not depend on them, but can push them to self-destruction. And what happens to a person who has lived in public view since childhood, I think you can try to imagine.

Of course, it’s difficult to judge Michael or any person in general, because we don’t know all the details one hundred percent.
I have already read a lot about his life, listened to interviews, etc.
And I think that he was very strong, despite the fact that he was just a man who was subject to inhuman pressure.

Maybe some decisions he made in life were not entirely correct, from the outside it’s clearer, especially after so much time and how the world has changed, but we will also never know how his life would have changed if he had accepted this or that the solution is completely different.
So I don't think his behavior was self-destructive, it was the destructive influence of the world he encountered.
yeah i agree. he didnt choose to be "self-destructive," but so many people he chose to be around repeatedly disappointed him time after time :(

Back