You can go back in time and retroactively prevent one of these events in MJ's life from happening, which do you pick?

Smoothwalker

Proud Member
  1. Becoming partners with David Geffen
  2. The 1984 Pepsi accident that burned his head
  3. Being acquainted with the Chandler family
  4. Signing the 10-year contract with Sony
  5. Divorcing his first wife Lisa Marie
  6. Living with Michael Jackson documentary with Martin Bashir

3 is a no brainer. Never sells half of the catalog, completes the final leg of dangerous, doesn't begin to have cash problems, gets even more endorsements, can make movies like he wanted and his image wouldn't need to be rehabbed in the first place so no bashir by default.

Iā€™d prevent thriller from becoming the greatest album of all time just so we could have new MJ music every 2 years instead of 2 albums a decade šŸ˜

1, 5 and 6 didn't really affect his life much....? I mean, he continued to live normally after these 3 moments in his life

2 and 3

3 ruined his life and haunted him until the day he died and is still having an impact even now in death.

I believe 2 would not have been that bad in the 90s had 3 never happened.

3 is the obvious one but for the sake of variety, I'll say 6.

That way his career wouldn't be much different but hopefully the second trial wouldn't have happened and he'd still be with us today

3 is the obvious one but for the sake of variety, I'll say 6.

That way his career wouldn't be much different but hopefully the second trial wouldn't have happened and he'd still be with us today
6 - living with Michael Jackson for the majority was actually very good , I loved seeing MJ at Neverland and in Vegas, he seemed so at peace. Jolly green giant and all that šŸ¤£

He was a bit manic in Germany but the most damage was done because of that stupid embrace with Arvizo šŸ˜”, the holding hands etc

If I remember the show aired in like Feb/March and then the allegations came out a few days after the MJ number ones album was released later that year?

I mean if you remove 3 you remove a hell of a lot of bad stuff.
I'd say 6 was a major factor in the arrest and trial but it built on 3. I can remember watching Living with Michael Jackson and I was about 15 at the time and as soon as Gavin came on the screen holding Michael's hand I turned to my sister and went "Oh no. This does not look good." and I believe he was innocent. It just fed into the narrative that had been built because of the 1993 allegations.

I've always thought that if you were to edit that whole section with Gavin out then the living with MJ show would have been a good watch.

Sure it was edited a few other places to make MJ not look as good but overall there would not be that much controversy about it.

The only thing controversial would have been the Germany segment, MJ looked manic throughout that time , the jittering legs trying to soothe BJ whilst feeding him with the veil being a wtf moment for me.

MJ seemed really hyper and clearly on something during that trip

I mean if you remove 3 you remove a hell of a lot of bad stuff.
I'd say 6 was a major factor in the arrest and trial but it built on 3. I can remember watching Living with Michael Jackson and I was about 15 at the time and as soon as Gavin came on the screen holding Michael's hand I turned to my sister and went "Oh no. This does not look good." and I believe he was innocent. It just fed into the narrative that had been built because of the 1993 allegations.

I've always thought that if you were to edit that whole section with Gavin out then the living with MJ show would have been a good watch.

Sure it was edited a few other places to make MJ not look as good but overall there would not be that much controversy about it.

The only thing controversial would have been the Germany segment, MJ looked manic throughout that time , the jittering legs trying to soothe BJ whilst feeding him with the veil being a wtf moment for me.

Oh agreed I think he was on something in Germany.

Honestly, I would go with option 2
The 1984 Pepsi accident that burned his head
Why? Because it would let him have most of his luscious hair (but that's not the important part) It would not get him hooked on pain killers so when in 93 the Chandler thing happen he would not go straight to drugs to 'help' him. And we all know that drugs kinda ended his life. I understand why most the folks here choose number 3 but I think his health is important too. (also that he wouldn't be confined to a wig in his later years)

Even if the Gavin Arvizo's whole section was removed, the Bashir documentary would not have been a good watch because of many things, such as:

- Trying to soothe his child in that frantic way
- Roaming around with his children's faces covered with gauzy veils, masks and other obscuring accessories
- Spending millions of dollars in order to buy useless items from an antique store
- Accepting the Bambi Award (in Germany, 2002) where he behaved goofily on certain moments
- Being surrounded by life-size, mannequin dolls in his hotel suites and in his Neverland Ranch

It is quite ironic that the purpose of the Bashir documentary was to show Michael Jackson as a more normal guy, when in fact it achieved the exact opposite.

Tbh no one should have ever had to go through what all he did.
I think it was Charles Thomson on MJ Cast who, when he was asked a similar question, said he would have Michael say No when Joe asked if he wanted to join J5. It might be a bit drastic but I can see his point.

I don't even know how Michael held down such a full-on career for so long with his health problems never mind all the rest of it. :(

Last edited:
We need a alternative thread rather than preventing a event, but making sure a event in is life actually happened like he wanted too.

We need a alternative thread rather than preventing a event, but making sure a event in is life actually happened like he wanted too.
I thought I'd found such a thread but now, looking at it, I see I'm wrong. It's sort of the same as this one.

Making sure an event happened the way Michael wanted it to? But how can we really know? We didn't know him. Can you give an example? Do you mean, like, the 'HBO One Night' thing happens rather than being cancelled? šŸ¤”

Releasing Unbreakable as single with full mini film.... He wanted it so much....He was fighting for this video for almost 2 years....I can't even realise, how much pain it caused to him...

2 then 3 for sure
The pepsi commercial accident is what caused mike's dependency to drugs to numb the pain the burns gave him then 3 meeting the chandler's is whta caused his undoing it made things 100 times worse for mike

Back