Your favorite MJ videos

Glad you've enjoyed it. I've discovered it by chance yesterday looking for something similar to the last link I posted. I loved it so much, I actually had it on loop. I had an inkling it would be good once I saw Michael's silhouette near that cherry blossom graphic, which matches so well my current, Japanese-inspired avatar 🤭 Don't y'all mind my vain, ever self-centered self, who has to make it all about me 😋

The human voice is indeed the most amazing instrument. And for me, like for plenty of others, Michael's voice is my favorite sound. There are though some really beautiful instrumentals out there, like Someone in the dark.

Here's another intriguing and unexpected instrument (the panpipe) used to cover one of Michael's most significant tunes - Will you be there?

And here's Michael's own crew doing a most magical rendition of the song

⚜️
Thank you so much for these.

I've only been aware of Someone in the Dark for a couple of weeks. filmandmusic included it in a list with a little written description. f&m has a talent for capturing songs with just a few words so I jumped in and have been bonding with it ever since. I'm looking forward to checking that one out.

But the one I went for straight away was WYBT from TII. It was really interesting because even though Michael's vocals are missing he seemed very present. I don't mean in a ghostly way but just, in his absence he seemed more present, if that makes any sense. It was beautiful listening to it, the band did a really good job.

I agree with you about the cherry blossom graphic; as soon as I saw it I thought, 'oh this looks good', even though I was referring to something I was about to listen to, not watch. The photo they've chosen is perfect. His arm somewhat echoing the direction of the branches and there's a similar energy there, as well. Lovely.

The Motown rehearsal. Michael blew me away with his perfect recreation of James Brown and Jackie Wilson moves. The brothers played some funky stuff and Michael danced and sang his ass off. I wish the full recording in good quality would be available.
Do you have a link for that? Is it online? I found several clips, all 20 - 21 seconds. Found a longer clip (59s) but that was just audio. Michael doing Jackie Wilson moves? I would LOVE to see that.

Do you have a link for that? Is it online? I found several clips, all 20 - 21 seconds. Found a longer clip (59s) but that was just audio. Michael doing Jackie Wilson moves? I would LOVE to see that.

Well looking back on it it is mostly James brown moves but I seem to notice some Jackie Wilson influences as well. His doing many of the trademark James Brown stuff. He even does a split which he didn't incorporate into his own style later on in his career.
What a dancer though James Brown, both Michael and Prince have been so influenced by his dancing style. Prince does the more acrobatic stuff, Michael the more technical stuff

Anyway this is the biggest clip I know of. To be honest I only really know 1 trademark Jackie Wilson move which is when he drops to his back bending his legs in an a painful looking way

Have you seen this Jackie Wilson concert? I love this so much, one of the most exciting performances I have seen

Well looking back on it it is mostly James brown moves but I seem to notice some Jackie Wilson influences as well. His doing many of the trademark James Brown stuff. He even does a split which he didn't incorporate into his own style later on in his career.
What a dancer though James Brown, both Michael and Prince have been so influenced by his dancing style. Prince does the more acrobatic stuff, Michael the more technical stuff

Anyway this is the biggest clip I know of. To be honest I only really know 1 trademark Jackie Wilson move which is when he drops to his back bending his legs in an a painful looking way

Have you seen this Jackie Wilson concert? I love this so much, one of the most exciting performances I have seen
Ohhhh! It's the Motown audition. Cos in your comment you said 'Motown rehearsal' so I thought it must be footage of Motown 25. f&m, I have been going mental online trying to find this elusive rehearsal footage! You have no idea! My head was about ready to explode.

I'm really relieved. I couldn't understand why I couldn't find it. I'm going to watch this clip just in case it's a longer one than anything I've seen before. And I will check out the Jackie Wilson clip as well although I think I've seen some of it. I've been revisiting clips of Terence Trent Darby (if I'm even allowed to mention him here!) and was watching the clip from the film he did where he played Jackie Wilson. And some clips came up and I think this was one of them. But you can never have too much Jackie Wilson so, bring it on. Oh, and when you say you only know one trademark Jackie Wilson move, have you not watched him doing 'Baby Workout' on Shindig? I suppose it depends on how you define a 'move'. I'd say there's quite a few in that clip.

One of the things I most love about this Motown audition is Michael dancing. Yeah, I know that's obvious but what I mean is, when kids are good at performing, what they are often doing is really just mimicking. And they might be very good at that and that's fine. But here, Michael isn't doing that. He's not mimicking James Brown, I don't think. Yes, you could argue he's copying the moves and certainly Michael was massively influenced by James Brown's dancing style and signature moves. But he's already showing his own style, as well, I think. He's feeling the music and the dance the way most kids would not be able to.

Yeah, I need to just go and watch ...

@zinniabooklover
Oh boy sorry to make you so excited over nothing! My bad, there is a difference between audition and rehearsal lol

I really like Jackie Wilson on stage, he has a spontaneity and connection with the crowd that Michael doesn’t quite have imo. Wilson dropping to his knees while singing is definitely something Michael picked up. Wilson’s single spin is also something he picked up. James Brown did them too but in a different way. Of course Michael did it ten times as spectacular often performing spins at high speed with 4 to 5 rotation.

Yeah to me it is clear to he isn’t just mimicking, he is absolutely feeling the groove and it looks like he is just going through the motions, it certainly doesn’t look like a routine.

I hope footage emerges sometime of Michael performing “ there was a time” in the first J5 American tour. I always love the dancing James Brown did in that song so I can expect young Michael to go crazy on the instrumental breaks there too!

@zinniabooklover
Oh boy sorry to make you so excited over nothing! My bad, there is a difference between audition and rehearsal lol

I really like Jackie Wilson on stage, he has a spontaneity and connection with the crowd that Michael doesn’t quite have imo. Wilson dropping to his knees while singing is definitely something Michael picked up. Wilson’s single spin is also something he picked up. James Brown did them too but in a different way. Of course Michael did it ten times as spectacular often performing spins at high speed with 4 to 5 rotation.

Yeah to me it is clear to he isn’t just mimicking, he is absolutely feeling the groove and it looks like he is just going through the motions, it certainly doesn’t look like a routine.

I hope footage emerges sometime of Michael performing “ there was a time” in the first J5 American tour. I always love the dancing James Brown did in that song so I can expect young Michael to go crazy on the instrumental breaks there too!
No, it's totally cool. And thank you for posting both clips; there was stuff in the Motown audition I hadn't seen before. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen the first 1m 40s of that clip. Even just the first 40s was so glorious.

I do struggle a bit with this type of footage. It's brilliant and I love it and I'm so glad it's still around. But it's also heartbreaking. At the very least, it's really poignant. I can only watch so much. But, yeah, that was lovely. I did love J5 back in the day but for me it was always about Michael and only him. He's just a kid and he's already miles ahead of the brothers.

The Jackie Wilson clip was good, too, cos it was a much longer version than the one I saw the other day. I agree, Jackie had stuff that Michael didn't have (and vice versa, of course). And yes, also, to the question of spontaneity. I often wish that Michael had done some smaller shows, something 'unplugged' or whatever. I mean, I wouldn't have been there. Never saw him live, never wanted to, but I wish there had been time for him to (maybe) come around to thinking that a smaller set of shows could have worked. Or maybe they wouldn't have worked. He was such a superstar plus he had a very particular way of performing that maybe didn't lend itself to being more spontaneous. Yeah, scratch that. Michael was not like anyone else, was he? And you can't exactly be spontaneous in front of 80,000 people!

And thanks for the mistake about auditions vs. rehearsals. If it hadn't been for that I wouldn't have gone looking for Motown 25 rehearsal footage. Although the stuff I found was literally only 21 seconds it was brilliant. There's nothing really happening but Michael is being brilliant, anyway. And Michael in jeans, ooh, yes please!

I’ve never seen this before and it really cheered me up. the story is unchanged, but is always exciting to hear and see. michael’s impact cannot be forgotten or taken for granted.

on another note; mtv claimed to initially be a rock channel, yet they played Madonna, wham!, culture club, etc.. good for David Bowie for calling them out.

Is this the thread we should be using in place of "favorite video of the day" when it comes to our favorite Michael content? I usually share stuff in that other thread, but it's a mixed bag of Michael/non-michael. For organizational purposes, should one be chosen over the other?

Is this the thread we should be using in place of "favorite video of the day" when it comes to our favorite Michael content? I usually share stuff in that other thread, but it's a mixed bag of Michael/non-michael. For organizational purposes, should one be chosen over the other?
I'm not sure. 🤔

I think it makes more sense to use the Fave MJ Vid for MJ stuff. Having said that, Fave Vid seems to be a lot more active than this thread - maybe that's why it gets used. Fave Vid is nearly always on the first or second page. Weirdly, this thread often slips way back down the list. I just checked - before I posted the TII clip, the last time this thread was active was the end of May!

Last edited:
Re: Whats your favorite MJ video of the day

Ending the night with this classic. hope everyone enjoy the rest of their night or day. merry christmas and happy holidays

Christmas pop songs are not my thing but I like this, it's rather lovely. Here's what @filmandmusic had to say about it on his review thread:

9) Give Love On Christmas Day
Mike singing this ballad and it is a lovely one, frequent harmonies chiming in pre chorus and in chorus
RATING A

@wendijane

Oh, it's that goth coat from BOW / TII. Felt the need to revisit it. Thought I'd tag you in.
Hey,,,Thank you so , so much zinnia. Appreciated

My fave video ...there's too many. I think Dreams - Who is It Pepsi advert

The Jacksons . Destiny Tour . 1979 London

Billboard Music Awards 1992. Michael was very humble receiving the award. Lovely footage memories

Michael Live and Dangerous. An MTV Special 1992

And the funny complications... * no , i mean compilations! gosh . lol

Last edited:
this small clip from the ‘e.t children’s story book’.

like his singing, michael’s speaking voice is unique and very pleasant to listen to. he showed his whole range on this project; from the whispering, to the squealing. he really brought the story to life. the Grammy award that he won for this performance (that he was most proud of) was well deserved.

Hey,,,Thank you so , so much zinnia. Appreciated

The Jacksons . Destiny Tour . 1979 London

Two things:

1 - you're on time penalties, missy! Haven't decided yet what the penalties are cos I keep distracting myself with more Michaeling, lol.
2 - Jacksons, Destiny, London - I think you might have missed the moment when I lost my sh#t over this. Not only is the performance awesome in its own right but, omg, the Rainbow.

The RAINBOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I used to go there for gigs. This probably qualifies as madness but I don't even care. Realising that I had been in the same venue as Michael (albeit not at the same time, lol) really did blow my mind. I never wanted to see them live, never wanted to see Michael live so there's no regrets (oh, Scott Walker, RIP) but, my god, wendijane, the same venue.

THE EXACT SAME SPACE AS MICHAEL!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!

Anyway, the madness continued for a while and then I managed to get it more or less under control.

I really am quite normal. :D

this small clip from the ‘e.t children’s story book’.

like his singing, michael’s speaking voice is unique and very pleasant to listen to. he showed his whole range on this project; from the whispering, to the squealing. he really brought the story to life. the Grammy award that he won for this performance (that he was most proud of) was well deserved.
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

83magic, this was AWESOME!!!!!!!

I haven't heard it before. I knew it was there but wasn't all that fussed on making the effort to chase it down. Also, I had no idea he won a Grammy for it. God, his performance was amazing!!

I'm in tears so need to go and mop myself up but thank you so much for posting this. Who knows how long it would have taken me to catch up with this?

Thank you.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

83magic, this was AWESOME!!!!!!!

I haven't heard it before. I knew it was there but wasn't all that fussed on making the effort to chase it down. Also, I had no idea he won a Grammy for it. God, his performance was amazing!!

I'm in tears so need to go and mop myself up but thank you so much for posting this. Who knows how long it would have taken me to catch up with this?

Thank you.
you’re more than welcome 😊 that clip brought me so much joy 💜 michael’s art is here forever. we could never run out of things to discuss💜

did you know that the eighth Grammy that Michael won in ‘84 was actually for e.t, and not in connection with the ‘thriller’ album?
notice how the orchestra plays a snippet of ‘someone in the dark’ @ 6:48

you’re more than welcome 😊 that clip brought me so much joy 💜 michael’s art is here forever. we could never run out of things to discuss💜

did you know that the eighth Grammy that Michael won in ‘84 was actually for e.t, and not in connection with the ‘thriller’ album?
notice how the orchestra plays a snippet of ‘someone in the dark’ @ 6:48
Yes, that clip is a joyful experience for sure. I've calmed down from all the tearful hoo-ha, lol. I can go through it again now, feeling more calm and able to take it in better.

I didn't know about the Grammy thing. I'm not what you would call a 'completist'. I have been into Michael since J5 days but I haven't heard or seen every piece of work he's ever done, haven't read every word ever written by / or about him, haven't watched every single video clip that's out there. I am always up for new stuff. The 2 videos you posted today (the ET one and Looking Through the Window) were both new to me and it was so exciting to see them both. But I'm quite relaxed about the fact that there is stuff out there that I have not seen yet.

Also, I don't watch award shows. I just find them tiresome. So I never checked to see exactly which Grammys Michael won. I just assumed the whole lot were ALL for Thriller. It's so exciting to find out this new bit of info (new to me). And I can understand why Michael would be more proud of that Grammy than any of the others. So now I'm going to watch this video. Of course, I've seen lots of fragments of the Grammy thing but I've never really paid proper attention. Like I said, award shows, not my thing. Now I have a *reason* to watch. Wow!

I'll be sure to pay attention at 6m 48s. Thanks for the heads-up.

this one made my day. the power of ‘billie Jean’, particularly Motown 25, is still strong.

this one made my day. the power of ‘billie Jean’, particularly Motown 25, is still strong.

Oh I loooove this video!!! The first time I showed my dog MJ he reacted a lot and was very invested, but he absolutely did not attempt to dance lol.

Even the dogs nipples are erect, she probably also reads the manhood thread.
😂 😂 😂

honestly, I relate to this dog most when it paws at the screen 😍 😂

Back