Your favorite MJ videos

I am such a sucker for all the award show moments with Michael. Anytime he is being praised, loved on, elevated, celebrated. I live for it. But there is something really special about this moment at the 1993 NAACP Image Awards. Knowing the context of his life at the time (I think this was pre-allegations, but I mean everything else) being celebrated by this audience, with this beautiful rendition of Will You Be There, with all the kinds words.... makes me cry every time! 😭 😍

He is also just otherworldly beautiful in this video, in a way I can hardly handle. But that's beside the point.

@zinniabooklover I can't tell if this is one of those moments you will love and make you emotional in a good way, or if it will make you feel tearful in a not so good way. It's a very positive video, but it's emotional to me and I think it will be to you, for sure.

I am such a sucker for all the award show moments with Michael. Anytime he is being praised, loved on, elevated, celebrated. I live for it. But there is something really special about this moment at the 1993 NAACP Image Awards. Knowing the context of his life at the time (I think this was pre-allegations, but I mean everything else) being celebrated by this audience, with this beautiful rendition of Will You Be There, with all the kinds words.... makes me cry every time! 😭 😍

He is also just otherworldly beautiful in this video, in a way I can hardly handle. But that's beside the point.

@zinniabooklover I can't tell if this is one of those moments you will love and make you emotional in a good way, or if it will make you feel tearful in a not so good way. It's a very positive video, but it's emotional to me and I think it will be to you, for sure.
😢 💔

As some people may have seen, today Rolling Stone UK published an issue with Harry Styles on the cover declaring him the "new King of Pop" and of course Twitter is blowing up about it. Anyway, it's annoying and frustrating, as always. But among the many (many, many, many) responses to this was this cool compilation video that I just loved and had to share :)

As some people may have seen, today Rolling Stone UK published an issue with Harry Styles on the cover declaring him the "new King of Pop" and of course Twitter is blowing up about it. Anyway, it's annoying and frustrating, as always. But among the many (many, many, many) responses to this was this cool compilation video that I just loved and had to share :)

That’s funny. What a joke

That’s funny. What a joke
Right?? I don't want to drag Harry. I know nothing about his music, or even him really, and he didn't ask for all of this. But come on. 2/3 people I have mentioned this to today have never even heard of Harry lol. It's just such a ridiculous reach.

I mean, it is satisfying to see Twitter blowing up on behalf of Michael though. Not just fan accounts either, which is a nice change.

They just want to start an argument to sell more magazines. Its nowhere close!
Absolutely!! This is getting so much traffic!! Absolutely intentional on their part.

Rolling Stone is just such trash.

Both, definitely both. But mostly 😭

I mostly avoid watching award shows. That said, I'm so, SO glad I saw this clip. Many, many reasons. Just recently have been dumping tons of stuff out of my bookmarks but this one is staying.

Daryl Coley (RIP) did a great job but it was Patti's show. God, that moment when she stepped out from behind the choir. So dramatic. And her first high note at 1m 28s, omg! I nearly blew up!

Miss Patti was bringing it!

Last edited:
Both, definitely both. But mostly 😭

I mostly avoid watching award shows.
I knew they weren't something you sought out ever, but I didn't realize you avoided them! I am the polar opposite, as you know lol.

Miss Patti was bringing it!
YES SHE WAS! Gorgeous. The entire song. I have to admit though, what really messed me up was when MJ sang at the end. Whew. My favorite part of the whole song and hearing him sing it really penetrated my soul.

Pfff, Harry Styles... Have nothing against the guy (though admittedly his music isn't my thing), but in what way, shape or form has he transformed the musical landscape as we know it? He always just came off as rather standard to me... Successful sure, perhaps even talented, but in terms of output, quite standard.

"Anything for money..." Seriously, I've recently started to realize there's literally an MJ song for every situation LOL I find myself singing them at fitting moments!

Pfff, Harry Styles... Have nothing against the guy (though admittedly his music isn't my thing), but in what way, shape or form has he transformed the musical landscape as we know it? He always just came off as rather standard to me... Successful sure, perhaps even talented, but in terms of output, quite standard.

"Anything for money..." Seriously, I've recently started to realize there's literally an MJ song for every situation LOL I find myself singing them at fitting moments!
I couldn't agree with this more. I have nothing at all against Harry because, for real, I have never heard a single song of his and cannot name one. There are about a million reasons why the King of Pop title is permanently Michael's. I get that Harry styles is popular right now, but before him it was Ed Sherren, Justin Bieber, Justine Timberlake... all people with great careers and talent (I guess) but literally none of them have done anything to put them even in a level of completion with MJ. I mean, Michael had no peers. That's a fact. This whole thing is just irritating because it ultimately acts like Michael is replaceable which he isn't, while also setting up new talent to fail in comparison. It's a no win situation.

That said, Twitter was blowing up about this for over 24 hours with massive support for Michael. I followed this quite a lot and I saw very, very few people discussing allegations or anything. So that's very encouraging! Seeing pro MJ tweets getting 100k+ likes is awesome 🤩

I knew they weren't something you sought out ever, but I didn't realize you avoided them!
It's not so much that I avoid them, it's more I can't be bothered to even think about them. I've watched a few, obvs, otherwise how would I know they bore the pants off me, lol. I never had any interest in them and still don't.

But this 12 minute clip was 12 mins of shining, glittering, sparkling loveliness and talent and excitement and awesomeness. And sweetness! Michael's little face! So sweet. 🥰

The one thing that is frustrating for me is I can't find any info online about this specific performance of the choir, Voices of Faith. Towards the end of the song, after the two kids have done their bit, when the choir are really getting into it, moving their bodies down and sideways and then back up, they are singing something I can't make out - time stamp 7m 55s on the full version you posted here (I posted a short version over on the Gospel thread). Are the choir singing, 'Michael'? Or 'My God'? Or something else?

'Oh Michael, you will be ... something something ...'

'Oh my god, you will be there'? It sort of fits but not quite. I'm not sure. I'm frustrated, lol.

It's driving me nuts. There's some kind of lyric change there, I'm sure of it. I love WYBT but I don't play it much but I'm sure there's a lyric change at that point. Miss Patti is blowing the walls of the building into smithereens at that point so it's hard to figure out exactly what the choir is singing. Had a quick look in the comments in case anyone mentioned it, couldn't see anything.

Whatever the hell they are singing, I really wanna be in that choir at that exact moment. Awesome! What they all did with Michael's song was, well, I won't call it a miracle bc when the material you're working with is as good as that, you should be able to do something awesome with it. But it's still wildly impressive, what they all did with that song. ❤️ 💔 🥰

Last edited:
I couldn't agree with this more. I have nothing at all against Harry because, for real, I have never heard a single song of his and cannot name one. There are about a million reasons why the King of Pop title is permanently Michael's. I get that Harry styles is popular right now, but before him it was Ed Sherren, Justin Bieber, Justine Timberlake... all people with great careers and talent (I guess) but literally none of them have done anything to put them even in a level of completion with MJ. I mean, Michael had no peers. That's a fact. This whole thing is just irritating because it ultimately acts like Michael is replaceable which he isn't, while also setting up new talent to fail in comparison. It's a no win situation.

That said, Twitter was blowing up about this for over 24 hours with massive support for Michael. I followed this quite a lot and I saw very, very few people discussing allegations or anything. So that's very encouraging! Seeing pro MJ tweets getting 100k+ likes is awesome 🤩
Yes absolutely! Haha I figured most people would be like "...for real lol??" after seeing that. They really just did it for outrage clicks, attention, and money. It's sadly what sells... But it's always great to see people supporting Michael regardless.

And oh I agree that Michael had no real peers to speak of. I guess the closest we got was Prince, but even he wasn't quite the same as Michael. Plus, he might be Prince... but there's only one King of Pop, Rock, and Soul! Maybe Madonna among the women, but... While I do like quite a few of her songs, I think she's a fairly weak vocalist overall (especially live... let's just say her entertainment skills usually save her shows). Michael certainly never had that issue (laryngitis doesn't count), he was just fantastic all around... Which is why we're here, of course. 😁

Also, imho many of Michael's... hmmm I wouldn't call them "imitators", but many of the male artists who are inspired by him miss a certain flair. Justin Timberlake is not a rock star, for instance. Whereas Michael wasn't afraid to do things nobody else had done before, especially since he was black.

I'm not sure I'm familiar with any of Harry Styles' solo stuff, I only know a few One Direction songs. Again, not my thing, too standard. Not bad per se, just simply nothing special.

One of the greatest performances in history!! I wish this one got as much hype as the 1995 VMA performance...
I genuinely don't understand how 1995 has almost eclipsed 1993. Does my head in.

Speaking of the VMAs, I just saw this short little clip from Michael's rehearsal ahead of time. For some reason I just feel like @zinniabooklover you will just be charmed by this whole exchange.
Yeah, this is one of my fave clips of Michael. I can't even list all the things I love about it or we'll be here all day.

I do actually want to list them all. I need to do it. I now feel immensely frustrated but feel the need to try to behave like a normal person.

My two gorgeous rock stars.

Better go. The need to talk about this clip at great length is washing over me like a tsunami of madness!!!

I genuinely don't understand how 1995 has almost eclipsed 1993. Does my head in.
Me too!!! I love 1995 with a burning passion, but 1993 is just FIRE. Plus we get the most adorable moment ever at the end when he puts his hands in his pockets and smiles, so proud and happy, at all the people loving him 😍

Yeah, this is one of my fave clips of Michael.
Isn't it great we have been doing this long enough we can accurately predict each other's favorite moments and photos/gifs that will destroy?

I can't even list all the things I love about it or we'll be here all day.
By all means...

I do actually want to list them all. I need to do it. I now feel immensely frustrated but feel the need to try to behave like a normal person.

My two gorgeous rock stars.

Better go. The need to talk about this clip at great length is washing over me like a tsunami of madness!!!
I hope you do! I want the tsunami of madness to wash over me and take me away into the abyss

Plus we get the most adorable moment ever at the end when he puts his hands in his pockets and smiles, so proud and happy, at all the people loving him 😍
Oh, don't! I'll start crying.

I hope you do!
No, I really can't. Listened to 2 hours of Michael on the radio last night and haven't recovered. I don't feel insane, exactly, but ... I don't know WHAT I feel. It was that intense. Been all in a daze all day. If I add my two gorgeous rock stars into the mix I'll go up in flames.

I want the tsunami of madness to wash over me and take me away into the abyss
I like the sound of this abyss. I might buy a day ticket, see what it's like over there. Does an abyss have walls? If it does and they are papered with photos from @MacMandy90 I could stay there quite happily. Maybe I'll buy a season ticket instead.

@zinniabooklover I had never seen that 1993 performance of dangerous thinking it would be the exact same as it was on his tour performances but it isn’t, nice surprise for me.
It always astounds me how long that performance is, how do you even remember all the little moves etc lol
There are probably dozens of hours rehearsing into dangerous alone and that‘s just one song. The rock crowd mostly frowns upon dance acts but I always think the dangerous performance should shut them up.

@zinniabooklover I had never seen that 1993 performance of dangerous
😲

thinking it would be the exact same as it was on his tour performances but it isn’t, nice surprise for me.
It always astounds me how long that performance is, how do you even remember all the little moves etc lol
In the world of ballet and contemporary dance, dancers will rehearse a piece until they are on the floor with exhaustion. When they get to that stage they pick themselves up and carry on rehearsing. That's how you get the dance into your muscle memory. You have to be able to perform even when you're exhausted. That way, doing an actual performance will be totally doable. In the world of musical theatre I imagine it's pretty similar.

Michael wasn't formally trained but his work ethic was fierce so I'm sure he would have rehearsed in a very similar way. That's what Michael means when he says he doesn't think when he's dancing. Thinking will just interfere with what you're doing. Your muscle memory is what counts. To be a good dancer you need intelligence but you don't wanna overthink what you're doing.

There are probably dozens of hours rehearsing into dangerous alone and that‘s just one song.
Exactly so. This is how Michael spent his life. It just blows my tiny mind.

The 1993 AMA performance, ngl, it's the only one I watch. The other performances are fine but this is the one for me. It is perfection. 100%.

@zinniabooklover

There are other things I never saw before, like the remember the time wheelchair performance!
I can watch it if I want to but my interest is little when I know he isn’t really singing lol
In terms of dangerous though I don’t care , you cannot do that routine and sing both at the same time without sounding like you just ran a marathon.

@zinniabooklover

There are other things I never saw before, like the remember the time wheelchair performance!
I've only watched this once.

I can watch it if I want to but my interest is little when I know he isn’t really singing lol
Fair point. I go back and forth on this. If it's a tv performance I often don't mind if he's miming bc that is standard. Growing up with TOTP got me used to that but also pop groups appearing on light entertainment shows - J5 on Bob Hope, for example - would nearly always be miming so I'm fine with that. And even when they are 'live' it's often pre-recorded vocals. Which I'm also fine with. I understand why it's not going to be properly live. The studio crew want to make their life a bit easier and keep everything under control. Plus, if you're promoting your latest single you're going to go for the radio version that everyone will hear. So that all makes sense. Having said all of that, when I watch tv pop footage from the 1960's and it is properly live I can hardly contain my excitement. There's nothing like it, is there?

I do want live vocals when it's a gig. That's non-negotiable for me.

The one thing I don't love about Dangerous AMA 1993 is the fact that he's miming. It looks ridiculous. There's no way you could do a full-on dance routine like that and sing at the same time. It would be perfectly acceptable to not have the headset on, let the record play and perform your brilliant, beautiful, awesome dance routine. So that seems like an odd decision to make. Doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the performance bc it is so astonishing. But I think it's weird.

In terms of dangerous though I don’t care , you cannot do that routine and sing both at the same time without sounding like you just ran a marathon.
Exactly. I can pretty much overlook the miming thing for this one. There is one bit near the beginning which really jars, visually. Once I'm past that I'm fine. Don't watch award shows so didn't see this performance at the time. I can see that this was a real tv moment.

Motown 25 - 1983
AMA - 1993

I like the symmetry of that. 🙂

I like the sound of this abyss. I might buy a day ticket, see what it's like over there. Does an abyss have walls? If it does and they are papered with photos from @MacMandy90 I could stay there quite happily. Maybe I'll buy a season ticket instead.
It absolutely is plastered with those photos ;) yes season ticket is a must lol

Back