Your favorite rehearsals

'thriller' dance rehearsal for the short film. i love it for the sole reason that he stays on his toes longer than he did in the final clip. i also enjoyed the comments from co choreographer michael peters, about michael being a natural dancer who operates on rhythm alone💜

'thriller' dance rehearsal for the short film. i love it for the sole reason that he stays on his toes longer than he did in the final clip. i also enjoyed the comments from co choreographer michael peters, about michael being a natural dancer who operates on rhythm alone💜
The short curly hair, the cool jacket this was Michael's most iconic look, basically his looks between 1980 and the Pepsi incident.
I always wanted to look like that instead I got a beer belly, I'm bald and my clothes got holes in them

The short curly hair, the cool jacket this was Michael's most iconic look, basically his looks between 1980 and the Pepsi incident.
I always wanted to look like that instead I got a beer belly, I'm bald and my clothes got holes in them
i'm sorry you feel that way about yourself. if it makes you feel any better, none of us can be michael. not even impersonators. though i still have fun copying his dance moves to this day :LOL:

it's interesting that michael had two main looks in 1983; 'billie jean', 'beat it', and 'motown 25' are one. then 'say say say' and 'thriller' are another. at the james brown performance, he seems to be in transition between the two.. he would alternate between the glitz and glamour of the sparkles, and the 'streetwear' as you would put it. the latter he didn't seem to have during 'off the wall'. i liked what he was doing with his eyebrows (no one seems to talk about those), hair, and make up during this time. some of it, like for the 'motown 25' performance, he did himself. it was an extension of his artistry.

my profile picture is one of my all time favourites of him. that's what i think a 'superstar' looks like🤩

I can't be the only one who finds Michael singing under his breath utterly compelling. Hearing him sing Rock With You and then the way he feels the line "she claims that I am the one" in Billie Jean is awesome
I love it too. I don't know why it's so wonderful hearing him sing little disjointed fragments. He's just marking stuff out, I guess. But it is, well, compelling, as you say. Obviously, his voice is fabulous and beautiful but it sort of goes beyond that. For me as a non-singer, I think it's partly the way he's able to be so effortlessly and casually brilliant. But it definitely has something to do with the 'singing under the breath' thing. I just don't understand how.

If you watch TII he is using more energy then in previous rehearsals. I would like to see further TII rehearsals. I am guessing from other releases from Columbia Pictures we will have to wait few more anniversary editions till we see it all.

Why rehearse it live if you're not going to bring it live?
Because the footage we have comes from the very early rehearsals for the Dangerous tour. The show was not yet ready in many ways and they weren't doing production rehearsals yet. Listen to the band, it sounds nowhere near as tight as it would during the actual shows and I believe, I might have to check, that some players were not even present (e.g. Jennifer Batten).

The purpose of these early rehearsals was to give Michael, Kenny and the rest of the crew a sense of continuity before deciding on the final details. Lip-synching is something which requires a lot of coordination and professionalism in order to be done right. The pre-recorded vocals need to be synchronised with the rest of the instruments using a click track.

All of this is done at a later stage in the process of staging a show. If you take a look at the 1993 rehearsals, for example, you will see that Michael lip-synchs most of the songs (the ones which were going to be lip-synched in the show anyway). That's because the 1993 rehearsals are production rehearsals, the one from August 16th is a dress rehearsal.

Back