Handwritten letter from MJ to Cameraman

dandyn

Proud Member
I don't know whether I am posting this in the right section or whether it has been posted before, but this is a really sweet letter that just once again shows MJ true spirit

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2009/music-icons/michael-jackson-16.html

Three-page handwritten letter from Michael Jackson to William Pecchi Jr., written on Capitol Tokyu Hotel stationary c. 1988. The letter is affectionately addressed to “Pecky.” Pecchi was a camera operator on Jackson’s film Moonwalker (Ultimate Productions, 1988). After Moonwalker, Pecchi was asked to travel abroad with Jackson during the Bad tour. Pecchi rode to and from venues to capture the crowd's reaction to Jackson. It was during these rides that Pecchi and Jackson talked at length and one such conversation in Tokyo provoked this correspondence. The letter discusses Michael’s goals for the film, encouragement to Pecchi, reactions to conversations about racism and Jackson’s vision of the world, signed, “love M.J.”

Here's a transcript that I wrote up for those who might have a hard time deciphering his handwriting.

Pecky,

I very seldom write letters. But in this moving occasion I couldn't help myself.
I want to thank you for putting the effort forward to capture the magic and excitement of the people of the world. What you do is a very personal and powerful medium to me.
It is the art of stopping time, to preserve a moment that the naked eye cannot hold, to capture truth spontaneous truth the depths of excitement in human spirit.
All else will be forgotten but not the films. Generations from now will experience the excitement you've captured, it truly is a time capsule. I will not be totally satisfied until I know you're at the right angle at the right time, to capture a crescendo of emotion that happens so quickly, so spontaneously.
What you have done was good, but I want the best, the whole picture, cause and effect.
I want crowd reaction wide lense shots, depths of emotion, timing. I know we can do it.
It is my dream and goal to capture truth. We should dedicate ourselves to this. The person who makes a success of living, is the one who sees his goal steadily and aims for it unswervingly. That is dedication. There is no other way to perfection than dedication perseverance. Just tell us what you need to make it happen. Take the leadership to direct the other camera men. I enjoy working with you that is why I asked you to come, you have a gentle spirit that's very likable. Maybe I look at the world through rose colored glasses but I love people all over the world. That is why stories of racism realy disturb me.
You hurt my heart and soul when you told me of your boyhood in Texas. Because in truth I believe ALL men are created equal, I was taught that and will always believe it.
I just can't conceive of how a person could hate another because of skin color. I love every race on the planet earth. Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
Naked we come into the world and naked we shall go out. And a very good thing too,
for it reminds me that I am naked under my shirt, whatever it's color.
I'm sorry to bring up such past issues, but in the car I was hurt by what you said.
I'm so happy though that you managed to overcome your childhood past. Thank God that you've graduated from such beliefs of ignorance. I'm glad I've never experienced such things. Teach your kids to love all people equally. I know you will.
I speak from my heart saying I love you and all people especially the children,
I'm glad God chose me and you. Love M.J.

He could critisize a person without being mean. Not a lot of people can do that. His intelligence shines thoughout the letter. I miss him!! :cry:

I can't read this without thinking of "Pecchi, where are you?"

This letter is beautifully composed.

Thank you for posting the letter.

wow...he is so deep. thanks for this dandyn. I reposted in another MJ forum, KOP. Hope it's okay.

Aww, Michael was probably the most kind, loving, gentle person in the world. Now he's gone. I'm really going to miss him. :cry:

Michael Jackson's letter captures the lost art of conveying
beautiful sentiments to others through the written word.
I thank you for sharing it with me.
God Bless you. :angel:

Thank you for sharing.

He was an amazingly gentle soul who had an enormous amount of love and empathy for all people around the world, touching so many people's hearts.

I love him for all time :cry:

Ohhh Michael!!! my sweet angel! He is so wonderfull, so full of love!!!
Love you more Applehead!!

Sounds like the cameraman was taught to dislike people of color because he lived in a racist Texas at the time of his childhood, and told Michael about it. Michael of course was struck by the story.

And it doesn't sound like Michael's chastizing the cameraman, it sounds like he is telling the cameraman his vision so that he may capture it on film.

He shouted "Pecky!" at the Yokohama concert and I had no idea why. It was the camera man! hehe. Now I know.

So this guy used to be a racist? I wonder how the conversation went in the car...

such a Beautiful Soul. every word he writes is Truth. He speaks with such wisdom and Love.

It's amazing, I could write a million words and still not express the loss and sadness I feel about him. Yet reading one sentence or hearing him say a few words...nothing else needs to be said... That's why I love him....

thank you for sharing this. every other thread about this funeral makes my heart sink so I don't even click them. but this is Michael...always true to his heart. just what I needed today.

Micheal is capable of changing anyone. I lobe this in a human being.We are all equal regardless of race or colour. I have friends of every race..I like what Michael said..Aww!! Just look at his kids..what a fine example..

its amazing to read his letter,thanx for sharing.it simply give us a glimpse of this man's great personality and pure soul

Last edited:
I love reading such words especially when they come from MJ, thanks!

:cry:

if only more people could have the same perception of him as us fans do.
gentle, intelligent, kind, loving, caring, smart, innocent, pure...

If any media are on here - HOW CAN YOU IGNORE THINGS LIKE THIS?

:cry:

if only more people could have the same perception of him as us fans do.
gentle, intelligent, kind, loving, caring, smart, innocent, pure...

I so agree. People I know have NO idea what we know. If they did, they'd become fans too...I can't believe a person like this has been called a freak half of his life.

Seriously, why doesn't the world know the real Michael? Its so depressing. All the stuff that gets posted on here NOBODY knows it. Nobody. Not 1 of my friends would know about any of these things.

Maybe its down to us to get it out there? Some kind of website with personal stories.. I don't know. I just think we need to do something.

I've, We've, had enough of the hate, lies and misunderstandings.

That explains 'Pecky where are you?' haha

The world lost one of the greatest human beings. It truly hurts me to know that a person like Michael doesn't come by very often, if at all. The way he was treated while on this earth was too much for any gentle soul to handle but he handled it well.

This letter is beautiful and truly heartfelt. Michael, we will miss you more than you could ever know... We didn't deserve you.

Back