Murray won't be asked to pay restitution

virginia_woolf

Proud Member
Jackson doc won't be asked to pay restitution

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Prosecutors have withdrawn a request for the doctor convicted of Michael Jackson's death to pay restitution, because of a request from the singer's family.

Prosecutors had been seeking restitution from Conrad Murray, who was convicted in November of involuntary manslaughter. District attorney's spokeswoman Jane Robison says the office was told Jackson's family is no longer interested in restitution, and a hearing scheduled for Monday was canceled.

Jackson's parents have each filed civil lawsuits against the promoters of Jackson's final concerts. Jackson's father, Joseph, is suing Murray for wrongful death, although the former cardiologist has filed court documents stating he is indigent.

Murray was convicted in November of Jackson's June 2009 death. He is serving a four year jail sentence, although his term will be cut in half.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...CTOR?SITE=NCWIN&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

They can't be bothered to make a victim impact statement in court or stop Murray from profiting off of their son's murder but lawsuits with AEG are ok? I am so disgusted, I hope they lose their lawsuits and the estate refuses to help them pay their legal fees. They deserve NOTHING!

THIS is just SO DAMN wrong...HOW could they do this to Michael....HOW...just let this guy get out of jail and walk...walk into another Office and start making money again...what he HELL are they thinking....the Jackson's need to wake up. HE will make millions off that documentary mark my words..smdh

Last edited:
Oh my goodnes, what the fuck is wrong with Michael's family? I think the main reason for this is their own lawsuit, they probably think this will impact their chances of winning against AEG so they backed out.

This is so wrong, I knew they are generally selfish and greedy for money, but this is the worst yet. It's incomprehensible.

This family makes me so F&&&&& sick.. I am about to throw up:mat: They sat through that damn trial and heard what Murray did to MJ.. He drugged him and abandoned him yet they don't care???? What the hell is wrong with them?? I really need to get in contact with Katherine. Something is terribly wrong with them. Murray will get out in a year and try to profit and what they are saying is that they don't care??

Wtf I am so mad. Seriously what's wrong with this family? So what's the point of joe Jackson wrongful death lawsuit? This family is so so disgusting. They don't even bother to stop Murray making a profit from killing Michael. when that creature came out of the jail, he will continue slander Michael to earn big money. I see a book deal is waiting him now. I really lost all words...

OMG when I read this on FB I couldn't believe it. So now he can freely make money off of killing MJ? Is this true? Please somebody say no!

OMG when I read this on FB I couldn't believe it. So now he can freely make money off of killing MJ? Is this true? Please somebody say no!

well if his profits won't go to the family, then he can do it I guess... Mike's family doesn't give a damn about him. That is one thing this whole fiasco has taught me.

Request for restitution from doctor convicted in Michael Jackson’s death withdrawn

By Associated Press, Updated: Wednesday, January 18, 7:08 PM

<article> LOS ANGELES &#8212; Prosecutors will not seek restitution against the doctor convicted of killing Michael Jackson after conferring with the singer&#8217;s parents and attorneys for his estate and children.
The request for payments from Conrad Murray was withdrawn Wednesday during a brief court hearing, just days before a judge was scheduled to consider how much the former cardiologist should pay to members of Jackson&#8217;s family or his estate.
</article>

Michael Jackson Doctor.JPEG-01d95.jpg

(Mario Anzuoni, Pool/Associated Press) - FILE - This Oct. 3, 2011 file photo shows Dr. Conrad Murray listening to testimony during Murray&#8217;s trial in the death of pop star Michael Jackson in Los Angeles. A restitution hearing for Murray has been canceled after prosecutors told a judge Wednesday that the singer&#8217;s family was not interested in seeking restitution.

&nbsp;Deputy District Attorney David Walgren told the judge handling the case that he was withdrawing the restitution request after speaking with Jackson&#8217;s mother, Katherine, and attorney for his father, Joseph. Walgren also consulted with an attorney for the singer&#8217;s estate and a court-appointed attorney representing the interests of Jackson&#8217;s three children, a transcript of the proceedings shows.
Murray remains in jail after being convicted in November of involuntary manslaughter. He was sentenced to serve four years in jail, but his incarceration will be cut in half due to overcrowding and California&#8217;s budget crunch.
Jackson&#8217;s estate estimated the singer would have earned at least $100 million if he had performed his &#8220;This Is It&#8221; concerts planned for London&#8217;s O2 arena. Murray might have also been found liable for Jackson&#8217;s funeral expenses, which totaled more than $1.8 million. Murray&#8217;s attorneys said he had nowhere near the money to pay either amount, and he filed paperwork last month indicating he is indigent.
Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor ruled that the family was waiving its right to restitution permanently, although two separate cases pending in a Los Angeles civil court seek damages against for the King of Pop&#8217;s June 2009 death. Katherine Jackson is suing concert giant AEG Live, which was promoting Jackson&#8217;s planned series of comeback concerts, claiming they failed to properly supervise Murray.
Joseph Jackson is suing AEG Live, alleging negligence by the entertainment promoter in his son&#8217;s death, and he is suing Murray for wrongful death in the case.
A phone message left for Murray&#8217;s attorney, J. Michael Flanagan, was not immediately returned. He indicated during Wednesday&#8217;s hearing that he intends to seek bail for Murray while he appeals his conviction, according to the transcript, but was told to put the request in writing.
The fate of Joseph Jackson&#8217;s civil case remains unclear. A California bar court in Los Angeles recommended on Friday that the Jackson family patriarch&#8217;s attorney, Brian Oxman, be barred from practicing law because of conduct on other, unrelated cases. Oxman filed Joseph Jackson&#8217;s lawsuit in federal court on the one-year anniversary of the singer&#8217;s death, but a judge later ruled it should be heard in state court. Oxman is the only attorney who has been listed on the case so far and has been a vocal antagonist against Murray and AEG Live.
Reached by phone, Oxman declined to comment on the recommendation, which still must be approved by the California Supreme Court.
The disciplinary court found that Oxman and his wife, who is also his law partner, mixed clients&#8217; and personal funds in an effort to evade creditors and sanctions imposed against Oxman. He had been disciplined previously, which the court cited among its reasons for seeking the revocation of his law license.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...th-withdrawn/2012/01/18/gIQA6DC58P_story.html

I think you should be more respectful towards Michael's family..he loved them. Yes they might make bad decisions but to bash them like that? Respect..

I think the main reason for this is their own lawsuit, they probably think this will impact their chances of winning against AEG so they backed out.

I think I agree. I don't know and didn't check the legal rules but I think the damages they can get is pretty much set - such as the TII income loss for $100 Million - and if the judge put that responsibility on Murray they would have had hard time getting anything from AEG.

I seriously wish to be wrong on this because it's so disappointing if that's the case.

I think I agree. I don't know and didn't check the legal rules but I think the damages they can get is pretty much set - such as the TII income loss for $100 Million - and if the judge put that responsibility on Murray they would have had hard time getting anything from AEG.

I seriously wish to be wrong on this because it's so disappointing if that's the case.

they won't get a dime from AEG.. AEG didn't sign any contracts with Murray and Murray told AEG that MJ was fine and healthy. They're covered. Murray was convicted by a jury, what exactly will Joe and Katherine get from AEG?

yup..NOWAY they are gonna get a dime from that AEG lawsuit....Murray was the one that killed Michael....AEG was NOT in the room at the time. Its all greed thats all it is...$$$...they will NEVER change.

I think you should be more respectful towards Michael's family..he loved them. Yes they might make bad decisions but to bash them like that? Respect..

Please feel free to respect them...IMO..the majority of MJ fans,,have run out if respect for them. I know I have

Please feel free to respect them...IMO..the majority of MJ fans,,have run out if respect for them. I know I have

totally agree.. they have not respected MJ or his wishes and they have not defended him in life or death. They deserve no respect. His own parents don't care if their son's murderer profits from his death. Something is highly wrong with them

I found out bout this on twiiter today and i cannot belive this is happening! :angry:

a portion from the Radar online

"The Jackson family told the DA they wanted the matter taken off calendar because they didn't want to pursue restitution in the criminal matter since both Katherine Jackson and Joe Jackson are seeking civil action against AEG (the concert promoter for Michael Jackson's This Is It tour), and Dr. Conrad Murray," a source close to the case tells RadarOnline.com.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/01/conrad-murray-restitution-jackson-family-denied-judge

To be two older senior citizens, these two sure are greedy

:busted:

a portion from the Radar online

"The Jackson family told the DA they wanted the matter taken off calendar because they didn't want to pursue restitution in the criminal matter since both Katherine Jackson and Joe Jackson are seeking civil action against AEG (the concert promoter for Michael Jackson's This Is It tour), and Dr. Conrad Murray," a source close to the case tells RadarOnline.com.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/01/conrad-murray-restitution-jackson-family-denied-judge

So like they are cancelling this restitution thing cuz the other civil suit, but will they go bck to it after the civil suit is done?

So like they are cancelling this restitution thing cuz the other civil suit, but will they go bck to it after the civil suit is done?

they can't..

Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor ruled that the family was waiving its right to restitution permanently

Michael knew how his family was thats why he didn't hang around them. I posted on the shoutbox about them maybe being in pain but now i wanna retract that comment. I love Michael and i had respect for his mother but now i think, what the hell? They are more interested in money then their own son's wishes and to me thats just not right. I lost respect for Joe when he did the Press Conference outside the home the day Michael died. He didn't look sad, distraught or anything. All he cared about was promoting his damned record label and showing off his eye candy at the premiere of TII. And as for Michael's mom... I think she is making bad choices based on what her the people around her are telling her to do. The choice for them to do Oprah makes me think she has no concern for his children. Michael despised Oprah after what she did to him. To Have his kids on that show means she has no respect for what he worked for. No respect for how he raised his kids. I wish Diana Ross or Janet got custody of his kids if that happened maybe this wouldn't be happening.... I don't know this is just how i see it now after reading the stuff.

That seems to be the case and it is very disapointing. I was trying to think of other reasons - such as they dont want Murray to be able to use this hearing to cause futher damage to MJ by bringing in evidence to try and blame MJ.

But It look like this will cause damage to thier civil claims. So they will allow Murray the option to profit off from MJ after his release in order to give them more leverage in their civil suites against him and AEG.

AS long as they profit thats all that matters - to insure that ...
They will allow Murray to throw MJ under the Bus with his books and appearances and profit Huge while doing so.

I hope we are wrong and someone comes foward with a more reasonable answer for this action -

I hope you're wrong, too. But sadly, I think you are NOT wrong.

I hope they lose their civil suits. Their greed will come and bite them in the butt eventually. I respect Michael not his family. Respect is earned. I will not say hateful things but I will not pretend to respect them either. When Murray gets out and does whatever I don't want to hear one complaint from that family.

Not surprise at all. The family has shown from the start that they never cared about Murray. He's just the fall guy, after all, and Toya went as far as to call the trial boring. This has always been about money. It was never about Michael's life and getting justice.

What a selfish group of vultures.

Well from his sister taken his sunglasses and IPhone case from his house as he laid on the autopsy table and selling them for profit for herself to the other sister selling stories about him before he was even put in the ground and using his kids to do so. From his brothers selling stories to the very rags that said awful things about him in life and in death to his Dad acting like he hit the lottery three days after his son died. From his Mother selling his kids to make money to her going on TV to throw him under a bus for more money. This is the same group of people who do business with people who caused there beloved son and brother and uncle so much pain stole from him and called him everything but a child of God. Everybody wants money and no matter what they have to do from throwing him under a bus to letting the person who killed him make a living after the fact. The Jackson family are a horrible bunch who deserve each other. RIP Michael I see now it was the only peace you ever got

Back