1977: MJ's stay in NYC during THE WIZ

:lmao: In color, all up on Mike!

WizpartyStudio54_zpse34aeb20.jpg

Andy Warhol, Michael and Steve Rubell at Studio 54, N.Y.C. 1977

Well I just have to say that this thread is hands down , no doubt, my favorite on the forum.
Cue Barbra Streisand:"Memories."

111fjhniklmjpom-kjn1.jpg
:wub:

But I'm mad. I thought I saved a pic of Michael holding a balloon with the title
"The Wiz" written on it. I thought I could go back to it. NOT! :shout:
I cant fiiiind it.

Woody Allen and Michael Jackson sit together at Studio 54 April, 1977 in New York City

You know, I've seen this picture for years-probably when it first got published-and I could understand why Michael was there-he was like me at the discos at the same time-going because of the pulsating music and lights and it was like going to a show-I was in awe of everything.
But it just cracks me up to see Woody there-since he was notorious for not going anywhere-except to play clarinet at his little jazz club on the East Side on Monday nights.
I'd love to know who and how talked him into going there. :)

You know, I've seen this picture for years-probably when it first got published-and I could understand why Michael was there-he was like me at the discos at the same time-going because of the pulsating music and lights and it was like going to a show-I was in awe of everything.
But it just cracks me up to see Woody there-since he was notorious for not going anywhere-except to play clarinet at his little jazz club on the East Side on Monday nights.
I'd love to know who and how talked him into going there.
:)

:crackingup: LMFAO, I was confused by Woody's appearance at Studio 54 too and like you, saw this pic when it was originally published! Mike fit, Liza fit, Lauren Hutton (and the gazillion other supermodel pioneers of that day) fit, hell, even Quincy Jones fit, but WOODY ALLEN?!

I wanted to be the fly on the wall during that party session. . .

:party: More photobucket goodies!

Confetti 'fro

Confettifro_zps74a028a4.jpg

SECURITY! :lmao:

Sekurrity_zps072aab81.jpg

More with Stephanie (grrr, lol)

StephanieandMike_zps82c1bb17.jpg

Nipsey, Gloria Swanson, Mike and Ted (Cowardly Lion)

GloriaSwansonandcast_zpse3ca3c8d.jpg

Chatting up Herbie Hancock

chattingupHerbieHancock_zpsb2f72c9e.jpg

Post-concert party for Liza (77)

PostconcertpartyLiza77_zps443f7e12.jpg

Well, it was Studio 54. Everybody wanted to go. Even Woody Allen. LOL.

More with Stephanie (grrr, lol)

StephanieandMike_zps82c1bb17.jpg

yeah, grrrr :D, he dated her for years, did he?

1979/August MJ's 21st Birthday Party Studio 54 NYC.

She changed her look, but I think it's Stephanie.

Even in 1990 he was accompanied by her to achieve the Good Scout Humanitarian Award

click

This is Jodi who use to be in a group call Shamilar. I think this is how the group name is spell but it is not Stepanie in the picture with Michael

Last edited:

This is Jodi who use to be in a group call Shamilar. I think this is how the group name is spell but it is not Stepanie in the picture with Michael
Right you are PMinton! That's Jody Watley. Not only was she a member of the successful singing group known as Shalamar,which included Jeffrey Daniel and Howard Hewitt, we first saw her as a key dancer on the hit dance show, SOUL TRAIN....gettin' her boogie on!She then went on to have some hits on her own as a solo artist. :D

Everybody sing!!! "I'm looking for a new love baby!" :dancing:

Yes. That is Jody of Shalimar and the picture right before at his birthday,looks like Beverly Johnson, the super model.
He did date Stephanie awhile but guess Michael didn't want commitment because she ran off and married Jeffrey Daniel (yes that Jeffrey Daniel of Shalimar and teach people how to moonwalk fame. )
Oh Sheila. If you want to torture yourself watch the video of Michael getting the Good Scout Award. He and Stephanie are wildly flirting all through the presentation and not paying any attention. Ha ha.

Haha. I'll try to when I get to another computer. I'm on a phone.
Oh and when I see Woody in his pix I can imagine him clicking his heels together under the table "I wish I were home. I wish I were home. ". Lol.

Yes. That is Jody of Shalimar and the picture right before at his birthday,looks like Beverly Johnson, the super model.
He did date Stephanie awhile but guess Michael didn't want commitment because she ran off and married Jeffrey Daniel (yes that Jeffrey Daniel of Shalimar and teach people how to moonwalk fame. )
Oh Sheila. If you want to torture yourself watch the video of Michael getting the Good Scout Award. He and Stephanie are wildly flirting all through the presentation and not paying any attention. Ha ha.

I second the request to post that video. :yes: Michael wildly flirting is wildly entertaining, at least to me. :girl_flirt:

:crackingup: OMG, Stephanie kicked it up a couple of notches during a radio interview a few years back! It was either just before Mike died or maybe a year after, but she was talking about how she worshiped him, how she melted when he kissed her (hate her, hate her, hate her, bahahahaha)! I gotta to find it, because she was cracking me up, talking about how she dreamed of doing his laundry and cooking for him like the perfect little wife. :hysterical: If I'm not mistaken she said he called her his "little chocolate drop". How CUTE!

I wonder if Mike was the inspiration for this jam? ;)

Found the Good Scout footage, lol! They are flirting up a storm, hahahaha! :D

Last edited:
:crackingup: OMG, Stephanie kicked it up a couple of notches during a radio interview a few years back! It was either just before Mike died or maybe a year after, but she was talking about how she worshiped him, how she melted when he kissed her (hate her, hate her, hate her, bahahahaha)! I gotta to find it, because she was cracking me up, talking about how she dreamed of doing his laundry and cooking for him like the perfect little wife. :hysterical: If I'm not mistaken she said he called her his "little chocolate drop". How CUTE!

I heard her say she was his first chocolate drop but I did not hear her say he called her that. Maybe I missed that part.

Great thread guys; it bring back lots of memories.

I can get lost in YouTube searching for shit, LMAO! There are quite a bit of clips of Stephanie interviews and I can't recall which radio station she was talking with for the little chocolate drop comment (I do recall the radio hosts squealing and laughing loudly, almost drowning her out). Anyway, it sounds like something endearing a man would say to his girl and she adopts it. :girl_sigh:

This one isn't it, but it's in the same ball park. She talks about how she was friends with Hazel Gordy (Jermaine's first wife) and how Mike would go see her in the stage production of The Wiz, etc. Sweet!

:girl_love: More photobucket goodies (these first 2 aren't in NYC, but still in the Wiz era; and HOT)

OOhMikeHotDAYUM.jpg

70sMJblueHOTNESS.jpg

MJBlazed77.jpg

MjAfroOOOOOOOHHHH.jpg

Last edited:
Great finds, thank you ladies, this thread is really awesome. :)

Found the Good Scout footage, lol! They are flirting up a storm, hahahaha! :D

OMG the way he puts his arm around her :shout:

where did it go wrong between them ?

And, Stephanie is so tiny! I never realized until watching that 1990 video clip.

Thanks so much for finding that clip and posting it. They're adorable, aren't they? I would give absolutely everything to know what they were whispering to each other. Especially at the end when they whisper a couple of things-and zoom they're off. He takes her hand and they're getting out of there! I wish they had gotten together-does anybody know if she was married to Jeffrey at this time?

I've heard that "chocolate drop" interview but didn't say grrr-I usually reserve that when I'm looking at him looking at Diana Ross. But I think both those interviews are funny-I noticed in both of those she made it quite clear that she slept over at his place in New York. Not in the carnal sense, of course.

Last edited:
Here's a clip of him in Steve Rubbell's office at Studio 54. I love this one too, because Liza goes back there after her show and did not realize there was a camera crew back there.
And she looks SO MAD!!!

Back