70's rock

raingirl

Proud Member
Blondie, Debbie Harry, Stevie Nicks... anyone into the 70's (a bit 80's too) rock?
Call me, Heart of glass, Maria... edge of seventeen...

I've grown an intrest into these artists/bands. Can anyone recommend me any albums to buy and songs.

Pink Floyd..their album Dark Side Of The Moon is one of the most influential album ever.I love Pink Floyd,they are Best Rock Band ever specially from 70's..Even Beatles or Elvis are nothing in front of them,they rules:cheeky:

Blondie are one of my favorite groups, and Debbie Harry was really beautiful when she was younger. My favorite Blondie song is Hanging On The Telephone. I remember when Blondie were big in the late 1970's and early 80's when I was a very young kid.

The 1970's is my favorite decade of music, and my favorite rock music is by David Bowie (my favorite artist after Michael), Marc Bolan aka T.Rex, Roxy Music and Queen.

Steely Dan & The Doobie Brothers are good. Heart's 70s stuff rocks. Blondie is more pop than rock. They did different types of things: pop, reggae, rap, disco, pop rock, funk, & new wave.

I'm a little more Southern Rock so Allman Brothers, Skynard, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Marshall Tucker Band, Charlie Daniels Band....those guys are on the soundtrack to my highschool life. All I used to listen to on the radio was classic rock!

Oo, almost forgot about .38 Special too!

for me the 70's was definitely the best era in rock music. Pink Floyd are my favourite rock band of all time, I also went through phases of listening to Queen and Led Zeppelin - I think they all made most of their greatest stuff during that decade.

here's one of my favourites from Led Zeppelin:

512G14A2WXL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Communication Breakdown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNip8ZEesow

there's another classic song by Led Zeppelin Black Dog which, according to one of sound engineers that worked with MJ during the Bad recording sessions, Mike used to sing quite often in the studio lol. I had never thought MJ would ever listen to this kind of music, just imagine him singing this song...:

Black Dog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9i2fqxSjTI

Nazareth

[youtube]nkdu87t6wrQ[/youtube]
[youtube]jEG0-3xlAkg[/youtube]

Some great artists has already been mentioned... I'd like to add Alice Cooper and Judas Priest to the list of awesome 70s rock artists :punk:

The 70s rock was def the best, no doubt about it. Thought the likes of Metallica and the 80s rock were also great.

How can you not love the likes of Led Zeppelin, ACDC, Judas Priest, The Who, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Queen, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, etc... nuff said!

LET THERE BE ROCK!

Last edited:
Marc Bolan and T-Rex Children of the Revolution :chillin:

David Bowie Starman

I think the 70's might've been the best decade ever for classic rock music. Black Sabbath, Rush, The Eagles, Queen, Pink Floyd, Boston, Heart, Kansas... that decade was full of great bands and hits. :D

And here's a lesser-known gem for those who enjoy progressive rock and rock operas. ;)

Deep Purple, Smoke on the water ,live in Japan

By Ultimate Classic Rock Staff December 28, 2015 9:34 PM
Lemmy1.jpg

Lemmy Kilmister has died at the age of 70. Motorhead confirmed his death, saying their frontman passed “after a short battle with an extremely aggressive cancer.”

The band added that they “cannot begin to express our shock and sadness; there aren’t words. We will say more in the coming days, but for now, please … play Motorhead loud, play Hawkwind loud, play Lemmy’s music LOUD. Have a drink or few. Share stories. Celebrate the LIFE this lovely, wonderful man celebrated so vibrantly himself. HE WOULD WANT EXACTLY THAT.”

Lemmy’s final illness followed numerous health issues over the past few years, most recently this summer, when a lung infection forced six shows to either be curtailed shortly after taking the stage or canceled outright. In 2013, he suffered a hematoma and had been fitted with a defibrillator to correct heart problems. Throughout all Lemmy’s scares, he maintained his sense of humor, saying “Apparently, I am still indestructible” back in August.

Born on Christmas Eve 1945, in Stoke-on Trent, Staffordshire, England, Kilmister (whose nickname allegedly originated in his habit of asking everyone to “lemmy a fiver”) was abandoned by his father – a Royal Air Force chaplain – at three months of age, then raised by his mother and a strict stepfather in North Wales.

At age 16, he saw the Beatles perform at Liverpool’s Cavern Club, and began teaching himself guitar. Lemmy joined his first bands in the mid ’60s, cutting his teeth on northern England’s tour circuit with the Rainmakers, the Motown Sect and the Rockin’ Vickers. By 1967, Lemmy was established in London, rooming with Noel Redding and briefly working as a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience before linking up with psychedelic rockers Sam Gopal in ’68.

He then joined Hawkwind as a bassist in 1972, playing on four albums (including Doremi Fasol Latido and Space Ritual) while lending his already recognizably hoarse vocals to Hawkwind’s biggest hit “Silver Machine.” He was fired in 1975, however, after an arrest for drug possession while on tour.

Lemmy plotted his revenge by forming a new band called “Bastard” with erstwhile Pink Fairies guitarist Larry Wallis and drummer Lucas Fox. They later changed their name to Motorhead in reference to the final song Lemmy wrote with Hawkwind, then re-recorded the track for what would have been Motorhead’s debut, On Parole. United Artists, the fledgling trio’s former label, rejected the LP, however. Almost two years would pass before Lemmy and his new cohorts, guitarist “Fast” Eddie Clarke and drummer Phil “Philthy Animal” Taylor, released updated versions of those songs as Motorhead’s eponymous 1977 debut.

After another year of ruthless touring, the trio truly hit their stride behind a string of legendary albums in Overkill, Bomber and Ace of Spades. This era of success was capped by the live album No Sleep ‘til Hammersmith, which debuted in 1981 at No. 1 on the U.K. charts – an astonishing feat, considering Motorhead’s incomparably raw and frantic sound had some critics labeling them the “worst band in the world.”

For hard rock and heavy metal fans everywhere, however, Motorhead were now proven royalty. Their influence on the burgeoning speed and thrash metal movements of the ’80s was second to none, and though their career fortunes fluctuated – and numerous lineup reshuffles followed – Motorhead’s underground credibility rarely wavered.

Along the way, Lemmy earned a hallowed stature as one of the genre’s elder statesmen. He could be found sharing his wisdom amid the moronic debauchery of Penelope Spheeris’ The Decline of Western Civilization, Part 2, composing lyrics for Ozzy Osbourne’s No More Tears LP, taking on numerous cameo roles in film and TV, and even documenting his bittersweet accomplishments in 2010’s Lemmy: 49% Motherf**ker, 51% Son of a Bitch documentary.

Meanwhile, Motorhead kept right on touring and recording, collecting a Grammy in 2005 for Best Metal Performance and issuing a grand total of 22 studio albums. Their no-nonsense approach to rock n’ roll allowed them to bridge the gap between both metal and punk worlds, and they were a tremendous influence on many bands – most notably Metallica.

They eventually found stability too, as 2013’s Aftershock marked the 20th anniversary of a latter-day Motorhead lineup also featuring guitarist Phil Campbell and drummer Mickey Dee. Lemmy Kilmister’s final album arrived just this summer, confirming his legend once more. Bad Magic became a Top 40 Billboard hit, topped other international charts and reached No. 10 in the U.K.
[video=youtube;SgUk1j0lrH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgUk1j0lrH0[/video]
[video=youtube;t-_Ol3XT6F0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-_Ol3XT6F0[/video]

March 11, 2016 Billboard
keith-emerson-lake-palmer-portrait-bw-billboard-650.jpg

UPDATE: Santa Monica Police confirmed to Billboard that Keith Emerson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head and his death has been ruled a suicide.

Original Post: Keith Emerson, one of the most legendary keyboardists in rock history thanks to his work in Emerson, Lake & Palmer and The Nice, died at age 71 on March 10, according Emerson, Lake & Palmer's official Facebook page.

"We regret to announce that Keith Emerson died last night at his home in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, aged 71," the post reads. "We ask that the family’s privacy and grief be respected."

"I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson," Carl Palmer said on his website. "Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith."

The British prog-rock supergroup formed in 1970 and released nine albums over the course of its career, the first five of which hit the top 20 of the Billboard 200. The band's 1970 self-titled debut is a prog-rock classic; the follow-up, 1971's Tarkus, solidified their popularity and distinctive sound -- instrumentally complicated yet sonically cohesive prog-rock mixing classical structures, improvisational jazz and electronics. 1973's Brain Salad Surgery is regarded by many fans as their finest work.
Emerson, Lake & Palmer broke up in 1979, with Emerson and Lake continuing on with a new drummer as Emerson, Lake & Powell. The original trio reunited in the early '90s to release two more albums

Prior to his success with the immensely popular and influential outift, Emerson played with British band The Nice, melding rock music with classical and jazz influences. Emerson was classically trained as a child, and one of the most technically proficient keyboard players of his generation. He started experimenting with the Moog synthesizer after hearing the landmark 1968 LP Switched-On Bach. Emerson's showmanship while performing on the Moog, Hammond organ or piano was one of the trio's defining elements.

^ Heard about his death on the news. Very sad to hear. :( Listening to Tarkus right now in his honor. May you rest in peace, Keith Emerson, and thank you for the genius music.

Leon Russell {April 2, 1942 - November 13, 2016}

Nov. 13, 2016 by Billboard Staff

Leon Russell in 1970

Leon Russell, who sang, wrote and produced some of rock 'n' roll's top records, has died. He was 74.

An email from Leon Russell Records to The Associated Press says Russell died in Nashville on Saturday night (Nov. 12). The email cites Russell's wife as the source of the information. Russell had heart bypass surgery in July and was recovering from that at the time of his death. He had been planning on resuming touring in January, the email said.

Besides his music, Russell was known for his striking appearance: wispy white hair halfway down his back and that covered much of his face.

He wrote Joe Cocker's "Delta Lady" and in 1969 put together Cocker's "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tour, which spawned a documentary film and a hit double album.

As a musician, primarily a pianist, he played on The Beach Boys' "California Girls" and Jan and Dean's "Surf City." He also played guitar and bass.

Russell produced and played on recording sessions for Bob Dylan, Frank Sinatra, Ike and Tina Turner, the Rolling Stones and many others.

He recorded hit songs himself like "Tight Rope" and "Lady Blue" and participated in "The Concert for Bangladesh." John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison played on his first album, Leon Russell.

His concerts often ended with a rousing version of "Jumpin' Jack Flash." In 1973, Billboard listed Russell as the top concert attraction in the world. About this time, he was the headline act on billings that included Elton John and at other times Willie Nelson.

In a 1992 interview with The Associated Press, Russell said music doesn't really change much.

"It's cyclical, like fashion. You keep your old clothes and they'll be in style again sooner or later.

"There are new things, like rap. But that's a rebirth of poetry. It's brought poetry to the public consciousness."

In 2011, Russell was chosen for induction into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. He also was honored with an Award for Music Excellence from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

He and Elton John released The Union, a critically received duo album in 2010.

Russell, born in Lawton, Okla., began as a nightclub piano player in Oklahoma at the age of 14, also backing touring artists when they came to town. Jerry Lee Lewis was so impressed with Russell that he hired Russell and his band for two years of tours.

He relocated to Los Angeles in 1959, where he became known as a top musician, and later to Nashville.

In the early 2000s he began his own record label, Leon Russell Records.

By Ultimate Classic Rock Staff December 8, 2016
GettyImages-88896513.jpg

Emerson, Lake & Palmer singer, bassist and guitarist Greg Lake died Dec. 7 after what the band’s Facebook page describes as “a long and stubborn battle with cancer.” He was 69.

Lake, who came to fame as the singer on King Crimson‘s first two albums, formed ELP in 1970 with drummer Carl Palmer and keyboardist Keith Emerson of the Nice. The group went on to become one of the most popular progressive rock bands of the ’70s on the strength of their jazz and classical music-influenced compositions.

This is the second loss Emerson, Lake and Palmer has suffered in less than a year. Emerson died this March after battling depression and a degenerative nerve issue.

“It is with great sadness that I must now say goodbye to my friend and fellow bandmate,” Palmer said in a statement. “Greg’s soaring voice and skill as a musician will be remembered by all who knew his music and recordings he made.”

Lake became friends with King Crimson leader Robert Fripp while in school. Even though he had been playing guitar since he was 12, Fripp encouraged him to switch to bass, the instrument Lake would play for most of his career. He was in the band for only a year, recording In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poseidon with Crimson.

While on tour with the group, Lake met Emerson, who played keyboards in one of the opening bands, the Nice. Even though Lake was more of a rock ‘n’ roll player than the classically inclined Emerson, the pair formed, along with drummer Palmer, Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

The trio released eight albums in the ’70s before breaking up at the end of the decade. They reunited for two more albums in the early ’90s. Lake and Emerson also released one album in 1986 with drummer Cozy Powell as Emerson, Lake & Powell.

Lake also had some solo success, most notably with his 1975 song “I Believe in Father Christmas,” which reached No. 2 on the U.K. chart. In 1983, he joined Asia for a year, replacing John Wetton (who had replaced Lake in King Crimson a decade earlier). Over the years, he’s led the Greg Lake Band, and toured with his old ELP bandmates in different configurations. The trio last played together in July 2010 at London’s High Voltage music festival.

Back