70's rock

Jeff Beck / Cause We've Ended As Lovers - 1975 - Written by Stevie Wonder - 5m 42s

Phil Chen on bass, Richard Bailey on drums, Max Middleton on keyboards, George Martin producing.

Feeling pensive and sad bc of the death of Lisa Marie Presley. But there is also the matter of Jeff Beck. I just saw a quote on YT:

"... my memories are slipping away one musician at a time ..."

That's how I feel right now. But this song is helping - it's a bit melancholy, sweetly lyrical, somewhat mournful.

Jeff Beck is not even close to being one of my fave guitarists but he was such a master. So gifted, so imaginative, such a beautiful understanding of his craft.

R.I.P. Jeff. 😢

Last edited:
Is there anything else except the Yardbirds where I should know Jeff Beck from?
Another artists I barely know.

Is there anything else except the Yardbirds where I should know Jeff Beck from?
Another artists I barely know.
There's a lot to say about Jeff Beck. He did everything.

Here's a nice article about this Stevie song that you might enjoy reading.

So what do you know. Superstition was meant for Jeff Beck. Listening to "cause we've ended as lovers" as we speak. Opening is promising, wailing guitar.

So what do you know. Superstition was meant for Jeff Beck. Listening to "cause we've ended as lovers" as we speak. Opening is promising, wailing guitar.
Wow what a great guitar piece, got goosebumps. That live video in the link was great as well. The sounds these guys can get out of a guitar is amazing.

Wow what a great guitar piece, got goosebumps.
It is a beautiful piece of work from Jeff. I posted his cover version of Charlie Mingus' Goodbye Pork Pie Hat over on the Jazz thread if you wanna hear more magic.

The sounds these guys can get out of a guitar is amazing.
It's mind blowing. I would feel inadequate but I'm too busy enjoying the magic. No wonder people say he could make his guitar 'sing'. He is really eloquent.

Here's probably my fave Jeff Beck quote:

"I don't care about the rules. In fact, if I don't break the rules at least ten times in every song then I'm not doing my job properly."

Dunno when he said that, it's quite a famous quote. I love it.

Jeff Beck / Cause We've Ended As Lovers - 1975 - Written by Stevie Wonder - 5m 42s

Phil Chen on bass, Richard Bailey on drums, Max Middleton on keyboards, George Martin producing.

Feeling pensive and sad bc of the death of Lisa Marie Presley. But there is also the matter of Jeff Beck. I just saw a quote on YT:

"... my memories are slipping away one musician at a time ..."

That's how I feel right now. But this song is helping - it's a bit melancholy, sweetly lyrical, somewhat mournful.

Jeff Beck is not even close to being one of my fave guitarists but he was such a master. So gifted, so imaginative, such a beautiful understanding of his craft.

R.I.P. Jeff. 😢
Syreeta / ’Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers

💕

Jesus it's really good that Jeff Beck track

I'm so glad he didn't ruin it by singing the song lol let the guitar do the singing

Jesus it's really good that Jeff Beck track

I'm so glad he didn't ruin it by singing the song lol let the guitar do the singing
Exactly.

Let me quote a bit from an article about him in today's Times. I think you'll like it:

" ... in his short time with [Rod] Stewart, Beck had learnt to listen out to what his singer was doing and pick up on vocal nuances in the moment. 'He was one of the few guitarists that, when playing live, would actually listen to me sing and respond,' Stewart said. It was in jazz fusion that Beck made his name as a virtuoso, working with John McLaughlin and developing a style in which he made his guitar 'sing' ... and allowing him to become at one with his instrument."

(article by Will Hodgkinson)

@zinniabooklover it reminds me of John Frusciante’s (red hot chili peppers) “before the beginning“.In that track he also makes his guitar sing. It is one of my favorites.

So Jeff Beck also worked with Rod Stewart and was in a jazz band. Looks like he was not well known as a leading man but more of a session musician or wing man or whatever it is called.

@zinniabooklover it reminds me of John Frusciante’s (red hot chili peppers) “before the beginning“.In that track he also makes his guitar sing. It is one of my favorites.

So Jeff Beck also worked with Rod Stewart and was in a jazz band. Looks like he was not well known as a leading man but more of a session musician or wing man or whatever it is called.
No, he was in the Yardbirds, then had his own band, the Jeff Beck Group. He has been described as a 'journeyman' but he was never a session musician. It's hard to describe. He worked with everyone but he was never a session musician. His career wasn't like anyone else's. Nigel Tufnell from Spinal Tap is said to have been based on Jeff Beck, no idea if that's true. He was recognised as a genius and as very influential. Like I said, hard to explain. Rod Stewart and Ronnie Lane* were in the Jeff Beck Group but they all kept punching each other so the guys left. :D

Session musicians don't get included in 'greatest ever guitarist' lists. Jeff is always on there.

Jeff Beck has always had a proper fan base.

Alice Cooper rates him as the best ever.

Jeff Beck was BIG in the 70's.

*Update - Ronnie Wood, not Lane.

Last edited:
No, he was in the Yardbirds, then had his own band, the Jeff Beck Group. He has been described as a 'journeyman' but he was never a session musician. It's hard to describe. He worked with everyone but he was never a session musician. His career wasn't like anyone else's. Nigel Tufnell from Spinal Tap is said to have been based on Jeff Beck, no idea if that's true. He was recognised as a genius and as very influential. Like I said, hard to explain. Rod Stewart and Ronnie Lane were in the Jeff Beck Group but they all kept punching each other so the guys left. :D

Session musicians don't get included in 'greatest ever guitarist' lists. Jeff is always on there.

Jeff Beck has always had a proper fan base.

Alice Cooper rates him as the best ever.

Jeff Beck was BIG in the 70's.
Yes I know he was in the yardbirds but I probsbly wrongly thought that was a Clapton band. He was in a lot of bands too.
Anyway I. Ow have a reference point regarding Beck, that beautiful song.

Yes I know he was in the yardbirds
I know you know that! I was typing at top speed and didn't stop to think.

but I probsbly wrongly thought that was a Clapton band. He was in a lot of bands too.
The Yardbirds at various times had Clapton, Beck and Jimmy Page in the band. Not sure of the chronology but I do know Beck replaced Clapton. I think Beck joined and then Page was in for a while at the same time.

I think. 🤔

It's confusing!

I think Clapton joined John Mayall's Blues Band (or whatever they were called, can't remember) but that is also confusing bc Jimmy Page was connected to that band and so was Peter Green - who I love, worship and adore. Mick Taylor was in for a while, I think, before his stint in the Rolling Stones. Those 60's guitarists did too much moving around and all being in the same band. Does my head in!

Peter Green is my guy. Just sayin'

Anyway I. Ow have a reference point regarding Beck, that beautiful song.
It is beautiful, that song, just gorgeous. Ngl, I don't listen to Jeff much. Hardly at all, actually. Like I said, he's not one of my top fave guitarists even though I think he is genius at what he does. Apart from the 2 songs I posted and Hi Ho Silver Lining, I don't think I could name you another Jeff Beck song.

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover what did Peter Green do after leaving Fleetwood Mac? Anything I should listen to ? Lol
No idea. He did have a solo career but he struggled a lot with his mental health. I don't remember ever hearing any of his solo stuff on the radio. He didn't like being a commercial success so, my guess is, any music he did make would have been quite different to his earlier stuff. I think he did some music, had about ten years away from it all bc of serious issues, then went back and then ... I'm not sure. He died in 2020.

For me it's all about his 60's F/Mac stuff. Utterly brilliant. He was an ace guitarist, ace songwriter, great singer, looked amazing. He had it all.

Genesis now that’s something I never warmed to. The whole prog rock scene in general is not my cup of tea. I do enjoy King Crimson and Van Der Graaf Generator though

Syreeta / ’Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers

💕
This is the version of the song I grew up with. Love Syreeta’s vulnerable vocals in it.

Jeff Beck’s version is great! Although, as @DuranDuran mentioned somewhere in another thread, you will typically have a certain penchant for the version you first heard.

Rod Stewart, eh? A bit inapposite, isn’t it?

So Jeff Beck also worked with Rod Stewart and was in a jazz band.[...]
Rod Stewart, eh? A bit inapposite, isn’t it?
Really? I'd say not at all. Rod was like all those British 60's rockers, madly influenced by African American blues and jazz. When Rod was in Jeff's group, that's when he really found his voice and style. Rod was massively influenced by Sam Cooke. Him and Jeff Beck were only together for a couple of years. Lots of friction, apparently! Have you listened to Rod's vocals on In A Broken Dream? Or how about this one?

Jeff Beck Group / I Ain't Superstitious

Producer: Mickie Most
Vocal: Rod Stewart
Composer, Lyricist: Willie Dixon
Guitar: Jeff Beck
Drums: Mick Wall
Bass: Ron Wood

4m 54s

EDIT - 70's rock thread - this song is from 1968 but ... whatever! :)

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover
I’ve always had a hard time with Rod’s voice. That’s a difficult starting point.
I get it. I do love these two songs and then I've got a few more songs by him that I absolutely adore but he's not one of my guys. Plus I'm not mad keen on gravelly voices, anyway. Late 60's / early 70's I was paying attention to him, after that I lost interest.

Back