A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality [Discussion]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A Message from the Estate Of Michael Jackson Re Wembley concert DVD Quality

Nothing has changed has it? Fans complained when Michael was around as they do now. Well, as the saying goes, "the more things change, the more things stay the same."

With that being said, it is nice to know that only a precious "few" still have issues. The majority are EXTREMELY Happy and Grateful to the estate for the BAD25 celebration. It is so nice to see great unity amongst the fans this time around. Yeah!:yes: :clap:

The Way You Make Me Feel as an extra from another show that was taped with the 2-channel audio mix is fine...
Do it, Sony!

I was going to comment only on the news but the fact that some of you react on some of the fans fears regarding this projects like they are some irrational idiots, is just frustrating. You know, the Estate hasn't given us exactly the reason to be happy about new projects. In fact lots of the times those projects were mediocre releases, to say the least. So our fears are very much justified. We want the best for MJ because he was on of the best and he doesn't deserve anything less. That being said i really hope this new release is what is sounds to be. I'm looking forward to it.

Nothing wrong with holding someone to high standards. That is how you get quality releases and keep people on their toes. I'm happy with what we are getting, but there are still questions unanswered (though I'm grateful for the questions that were addressed). No reason they can't continue to search ad come out with a higher quality release at a future date.

Thank the Estate for releasing this statement although it doesn't really clarify the video quality I mean I would love for all the bad tour VHS tapes to be on dvd no matter if the audio is 2 channel and the video is perfectly fine I had my doubts on this video but the estate has done great with BAD 25. I would enjoy Michael singing live in NYC I mean if it can't be released blu ray release them as a DVD boxset of the BAD TOUR but I think they are waiting for the 30th anniversary for all of this and they will satisfy us with what they have. I really wished the NYC concert would be released due to the fact it has Michael singing live! I hope these get released in the future at least DVD quality now that we know the masters have been misplaced lost or destroyed

I was going to comment only on the news but the fact that some of you react on some of the fans fears regarding this projects like they are some irrational idiots, is just frustrating. You know, the Estate hasn't given us exactly the reason to be happy about new projects. In fact lots of the times those projects were mediocre releases, to say the least. So our fears are very much justified. We want the best for MJ because he was on of the best and he doesn't deserve anything less. That being said i really hope this new release is what is sounds to be. I'm looking forward to it.

It's been explained. This is the best you can get, and its not the Estate's fault.

I'm SO looking forward to this DVD! I always was, but I'm just happy with the swift communication from the Estate! As long as the DVD is decent quality and it's the BEST they can do, bring it on! :D :D

Why would I be happy that we actually GETTING a DVD? It's Michael Jackson we are talking about. Should we all be happy for the new albums in the future (like MICHAEL album), just because it is new MJ album. No. Michael Jackson deserves the best product and MJ fans deserve that too.

In my opinion no one should rush into pre-ordering before they release a trailer with actual DVD quality. I'll definitely buy standard 2CD edition, don't get me wrong, I'm not Sony boycotter or something. I just think, after seeing that trailer and TV clips of it, and reading a lot about restoring pricture from a VHS, that a final product won't be worth the money. I hope I'm wrong and that DVD will be great.

Actually, the Estate owes us ziltch, they are doing this because it was requested. It's not their fault that they dont have a better quality film. The quality on the trailer was excellent and anything more than that would be amazing. Lets not forget WHEN this was filmed and be realistic about the fact that the quality WILL NOT be higher than DVD quality AT THE MOST. It was just the limits of technology at that time, nothing more.

Actually, the Estate owes us ziltch, they are doing this because it was requested. It's not their fault that they dont have a better quality film. The quality on the trailer was excellent and anything more than that would be amazing. Lets not forget WHEN this was filmed and be realistic about the fact that the quality WILL NOT be higher than DVD quality AT THE MOST. It was just the limits of technology at that time, nothing more.

I'm sorry, but that's not true, it has been proved that the concerts were shot in 35mm, so yes, it is possible to release in the best quality(Blu-Ray), except that they don't know where the films are(which I think it's very weird). Queen has a Blu-Ray concert with amazing quality from years before Bad Tour, so it's perfectly possible, as long as they find the films.

And also, the quality on the trailer was not excellent, far from that, it was awful, a DVD just can't look like this!
I understand this is a concert we all want so much and sometimes we don't even care about that stuff, but we need to realize that quality is very important! So lets pray that the "NASA" people(haha) will do a great restoration and give us the best out of that VHS!

So lets pray that the "NASA" people(haha)

It's not NASA people , it's the people that was hired by NASA and NASA DID restore the 40 year old footage of first moon landing from a recording of the TV Broadcast. (they had re-taped later missions over the initial master film to reduce the costs of missions, so they didn't have the original masters)

so care to explain what's funny?

I'm sorry, but that's not true, it has been proved that the concerts were shot in 35mm, so yes, it is possible to release in the best quality(Blu-Ray), except that they don't know where the films are(which I think it's very weird). Queen has a Blu-Ray concert with amazing quality from years before Bad Tour, so it's perfectly possible, as long as they find the films.

And also, the quality on the trailer was not excellent, far from that, it was awful, a DVD just can't look like this!
I understand this is a concert we all want so much and sometimes we don't even care about that stuff, but we need to realize that quality is very important! So lets pray that the "NASA" people(haha) will do a great restoration and give us the best out of that VHS!

Amazing quality =/= Blu-Ray quality. They got the Master tapes and upscaled it. Which they can do with the VHS, yes it may not be as good, but it is better than having a bootleg recording...

It's not NASA people , it's the people that was hired by NASA and NASA DID restore the 40 year old footage of first moon landing from a recording of the TV Broadcast. (they had re-taped later missions over the initial master film to reduce the costs of missions, so they didn't have the original masters)

so care to explain what's funny?

I know it's not the NASA people that are restoring the concert, that's why I used it as a joke, but I was referring to the people hired by NASA to do the restoration.

I doubt that anyone was asking for a low quality Wembley concert (and I'm not complaining about the Wembley concert. I think it's great that we are going to get it). If fans had had the chance of choosing between a low quality Wembley concert or a high quality Japan concert, maybe they would have chosen Japan.

I can imagine what would be going on in the fan community right now if they would release Japan! It wouldn't be pretty. Some fans already threatened in advance that if it's Japan they won't buy it. We get Wembley, but it's not good, we all of a sudden want Japan. Okkay.

Perhaps as a compromise, they should put both on the DVD and then we would have a first leg concert and a second leg concert and everybody would be happy. (Well, I'm sure even then not everybody would be...)

Amazing quality =/= Blu-Ray quality. They got the Master tapes and upscaled it. Which they can do with the VHS, yes it may not be as good, but it is better than having a bootleg recording...

Of course it's better then a bootleg recording, but the reason I'm so concerned about the quality is that if they release it in a poor quality now, it might take years or forever to get a proper release of the tour, but I still believe they're gonna do a very satisfatory work.

Sounds like they need someone to sort out the organization. Oh well. I'm happy enough to be getting Wembley. :)

This is kinda like a double edged sword situation and they can't win no matter what they do

Release good quality 1st leg Japan - but piss fans off as it's been widely available and seen by most

Release good quality video but weaker audio - but piss fans off because they can't enjoy the live singing

Release good quality audio but weaker video - but piss fans off because they can't see the performance well

Try a mix and match of good audio and video from different shows or make a concert from best takes from multiple concerts - but piss fans off because it's not authentic concert experience and it's a cut / paste job

Don't release anything as they don't have the "perfect" product - but piss fans off because they waited and asked for Bad tour performance for so long.

This is a situation whatever the decision was there would have been a group that's unhappy.

This is kinda like a double edged sword situation and they can't win no matter what they do

Release good quality Japan - but piss fans off as it's been widely available and seen by most

Release good video quality but weaker audio - but piss fans off because they can't enjoy the live singing

Release good quality audio but weaker video - but piss fans off because they can't see the performance well

Try a mix and match of good audio and video from different shows or make a concert from best takes from multiple concerts - but piss fans off because it's not authentic concert experience

Don't release anything - but piss fans off because they waited and asked for Bad tour performance for so long.

This is a situation whatever the decision was there would have been a group that's unhappy.

I think the best decision possible would be to release the Wembley DVD, explaining that the VHS was the only source available, and the Yokohama in Blu-Ray. I know we have seen it a thousand times, but it would be nice to watch it in HD.

But it probably wouldn't be a good profit for them, assuming a lot of fans would not buy the Yokohama, even though the quality is better.

Release good quality 1st leg Japan - but piss fans off as it's been widely available and seen by most

Release good quality video but weaker audio - but piss fans off because they can't enjoy the live singing

Try a mix and match of good audio and video from different shows or make a concert from best takes from multiple concerts - but piss fans off because it's not authentic concert experience and it's a cut / paste job

Don't release anything as they don't have the "perfect" product - but piss fans off because they waited and asked for Bad tour performance for so long.

Exactly, the fact we are even getting ANYTHING is great! Fans should just realise that just because they want something doesn't mean that they can or will get it.

Hope is not lost. There is still Elvis material surfacing to this day. From what I gathered from that statement, the footage should all be in storage, however it is misplaced or not labeled correctly. It should simply be a matter of searching. We won't be getting it for this release, but there is still hope for the future. I'd really like to know what happened to the 35mm film however. It exists somewhere. That is the goldmine footage.

I would also caution on the side of being so grateful to the point of saying "we are lucky to be getting anything. The estate don't have to give us anything." Trust me, the estate are going to make a lot of money off of this and they very much want our money for this and future products. We are who they have to please if they want to contiue to make that money. I'm sure they are aware of how poorly received 'Michael' and even 'Vision' were. If we don't ask these questions of them, I guarantee you nobody else will, and then where will we be?

With all of that said, this should be a very good release and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Thank you Gaz for posting this and thank you to the Estate for releasing this. I believe that the Estate is really trying to do what's in the best interest of the fans with this. They are being transparent in what they are doing, which shows that they have integrity. Not everyone will agree with they do. I also feel they are trying their best with what they have to work with. Keeping the Faith.

I don't know - everyone's pretty much seen a Japanese Bad concert, and comparatively speaking it's not that impressive. I personally think the DVD of the VHS was definitely the right thing to do, considering the audio specifications as well. I admire the fact that they're going the extra mile for fans in preparing this. But we just have to accept that people screwed up: 123 shows are no doubt hard to keep track of, and some people just dropped the ball. This stuff happens and no-one is immune to it; not even Michael. There are several films that have been lost as time goes by, so it doesn't just affect concert recordings.

Yeah. It's a real pity. Also, when you factor in that some of these tapes could have been stolen by his own staff, you almost wanna go crazy.

I doubt that anyone was asking for a low quality Wembley concert (and I'm not complaining about the Wembley concert. I think it's great that we are going to get it). If fans had had the chance of choosing between a low quality Wembley concert or a high quality Japan concert, maybe they would have chosen Japan.

I think it's a little unfair to expect the Estate to consult with fans before releasing a commercial product. So far, they have been very transparent with us by addressing some of our pressing questions/concerns. And we should be thankful.

Also, fans seem divided on so many matters to the extend that the Estate consulting with fans will just be a waste of resources because they will never get a unanimous answer from fans. And even if they get a unanimous response, is it always the best? Remember, fans are not experts. For the most part, they are driven by emotions and so don't always grasp the complexity of issues at hand.

Well I am very thankful they did what they did.

What would I want. - No DVD or Wembley DVD in poor VHS quality but great audio? - I would go for the Wembley release any day!!

Better than nothing. - And I think they will find something in the future that would make it possible for a Blu-Ray HQ release in the future!

good news, thanks :)

I choose to have a better sound than better video as I am listening to MJ when I am riding my bicycle or doing some homework!

As long as the quality is improved considerably over the preview clip, which was awful.

The preview clip was indeed very awful. - So hope it's better than that.

Thank you for the clarification. Although it's a bummer that VHS footage is the only way to go at this point, I'm hoping that someday (maybe the 30th anniversary of Bad) we'll be able to see the entire tour like this.

There is however one piece of information in the Estate's communication that is very important: "to look for".

This indicates, and I hope I am not wrong, that they will relentlessly be searching for the lost material such as the original film of the BAD Tour concerts and, why not, other tours as well. And this is what I call reassuring.

As a collector of MJ's officially released music and videos, I will have to consider this DVD release as a vintage with a touch of lost memories from the 80s regarding the video quality. It has its own charm. To me this lower video quality will have that charm as long as I know that they are still looking for the original film and that one day they will proudly announce its blur-ray release. The master is not vanished, it is just lost among other films. It takes time to dig everything out, but I have faith we'll eventually get there.

This vintage DVD can be enjoyable thanks to the surround sound.

The day they find out the original film and put it on blu-ray, we'll all be even happier and think about this lower quality DVD as silly, sterile and funny debates memories.

Bear in mind that everything's gonna be "vintage": the buckles, the BAD album, the tickets, t-shirts, the video of the concert, the demos, yet with a zest of freshness thanks to the re-mastered sound and some remixes.

I find that the 80s had so much originality that you could watch anything in crap version it didn't matter, because it was so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back