BAD25 | Charts & Sales History

Can someone tell me two things please:
1. What's the latest info regarding the sales of Bad25 being added to the sales of Bad? Could Bad climb on the charts of the all time best sellers in the UK, USA and worldwide?
2. Why is there so little promotion? Is the Estate doing anything to promote the cr---p out of this release? It's good material and a very nice package. I've said it all along - all it needs now is exposure!

sales of bad 25 will be included in the sale of the original album.
not the chart positions.

sales of bad 25 will be included in the sale of the original album.
not the chart positions.

I meant the overall chart of the top best sellers. If Bad is now the 9th biggest seller in the UK and if we add some good sales of Bad 25, won't it climb to a higher position on that list?

Even though BAD 25 is much better than "Thriller 25" content-wise, I feel like it will not sell much due to horrible mismanagement and obsolete advertizing strategies.

I meant the overall chart of the top best sellers. If Bad is now the 9th biggest seller in the UK and if we add some good sales of Bad 25, won't it climb to a higher position on that list?

Even though BAD 25 is much better than "Thriller 25" content-wise, I feel like it will not sell much due to horrible mismanagement and obsolete advertizing strategies.

depend on the sales.

korgi, better then nothing.
i think every fan recognized that this release is not for improving the legacy, its for a making cheap money.

HDD has updated their sales prediction, but Bad25 wasn't even mentioned. Either they just didn't mention it in their article because it's a re-release, or the sales are really low. :(

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news09123m01

IS P!NK G.O.O.D. ENOUGH
TO BEAT KANYE FOR #1? RCA Diva Has Edge Going Into Week, The Killers Look for Six Figure Debut

September 19, 2012

She’s the daring young diva on the flying trapeze. RCA diva P!nk’s latest, The Truth About Love, her sixth studio recording, is on target to be her first-ever # album, with a projected total of 200-225k. Her previous high was the #2 slot reached by the last album, 2008’s Funhouse.

That would be enough to top Kanye West’s G.O.O.D. Music compilation on Def Jam/IDJ, Cruel Summer, which may have suffered from a brief, one-day absence of the album from iTunes, but is gaining ground quickly, according to one-day sales reports from retailers both physical and digital lucky enough not to find themselves part of Mitt Romney’s 47% cut-off. At this point it looks like it will sell in the 170-190k range. We’ll keep an eye on the battle as we head into Friday’s Weakend Chart Preview.

Las Vegas alt-rockers The Killers’ Battle Born, their fourth Island/IDJ album and first since 2008’s Day & Age, should break six figures, with a projected total of 110-120k. The last one racked up 193k in its debut week.

Warp Records Brooklyn art-rock indie darlings Grizzly Bear—one of Jay-Z and Beyonce’s alterna-faves—is looking at an impressive first week of sales between 40-50k.

604/Schoolboy/Interscope Canadian popster Carly Rae Jepsen’s Kiss looks to be in the 35-40k range, with plenty of help from efforts by the label’s Scooter Braun to spread the world through social networking.

Mercury Nashville country singer-songwriter Easton Corbin’s All Over the Road, the sophomore follow-up to his self-titled debut in 2010, is on target for 25-30k, the same as Columbia alt-Americana rockers Band of Horses’ Mirage Rock, the Seattle band’s fourth album, the follow-up to 2010’s Grammy-nominated Infinite Arms.

Album sales were up 7% vs. last week, down 8% vs. same week last year and down 5% year to date.
Track sales were down 2% vs. last week, up 9% vs. same week last year and up 6% year to date.
TEA sales were up 4% vs. last week, down 4% vs. same week last year and down 2% year to date.

Now that I think about, HDD just probably didn't mention it in their prediction for whatever reason. It's not really possible that it would sell less than 25k, is it? Didn't even Immortal debut with like 40k, and most fans didn't care very much about that album. Maybe the sales are just too difficult to predict at this point, so they'd just rather not even guess.

Also the name Thriller is a magnet, no matter what.

I agree that Bad 25 probably won't do as well as Thriller 25, while actually being a LOT better release. It's kind of sad and those people who only focus on the name ("OMG, Thriller, the biggest selling album... Bad - the album which could not repeat Thriller's success") are missing out. Oh well, people are sheep.

Of course, the horrible logistics, mismanagement and promotion by Sony doesn't help either.

Also the name Thriller is a magnet, no matter what.

I agree that Bad 25 probably won't do as well as Thriller 25, while actually being a LOT better release. It's kind of sad and those people who only focus on the name ("OMG, Thriller, the biggest selling album... Bad - the album which could not repeat Thriller's success") are missing out. Oh well, people are sheep.

Of course, the horrible logistics, mismanagement and promotion by Sony doesn't help either.

Indeed.. also, I think the fact that Michael was still alive when Thriller 25 was released is making a big difference. Now there are so many fans who don't even bother buying anything MJ related, due to their hate towards Sony/Estate.

The lack of promotion just makes no sense at all!
If Bad25 indeed is intended to sell less than T25 then I do not understand why the Estate invested all the resources in this project in the first place? I mean the restauration for the DVD probably cost some bucks and I would think that it would be in the best interest to promote the cr...p out of the Deluxe package - pardon my french. This release has such a strong appeal due to the DVD and to some really good unreleased tracks.

No, it really doesn't make any sense to me. I'm gonna wait until the first two weeks have gone because I still think the Estate has some professionals working for them and that they indeed are planing some different kind of promotional tactics - maybe not at the very beginning of the release but later on (if that makes sense?). I mean it would be possible, remember that Michael's albums always had a very long shelve life. I do realize that it's different now but still there's a lot that could be done with this.

So if there are marketing professionals working for the Estate, I'm expecting something to happen. If it doesn't, I'm affraid it doesn't look very good for any future 20-25-30-40... rereleases.

Does sales combine the different packages and formats the album is available in? Only that represents an accurate figure.

I'm guessing the sales of the 2 CD version, Deluxe and Deluxe Collectors will count as sales of the album. Sales of the DVD won't count in the sales of the album, they will count as just sales of a DVD.

I am going to agree with Korgnex,

Sony needs to put some effort into it like they did with some of the "Other" releases. It seams like Pepsi is the only one(s) promoting it. LOL

^^The Walmart/Target exlusives and any other exclusive packs out there need to be considered as well. Even the vinyl counts IMO, since it's the album in a different format.

Amazon sales doesn't combine all, plus I think the sales rankings shared here by members only represent the 2CD version. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Only the Esate/SONY is in a position to know actual sales worldwide combining various retail outlets - offline/online as well as the different packages and formats.

Moved to correct thread (see the link in the above post).

Last edited:
I thought promotion was really good..and it will get even better for the holidays with Spike Lee's doc. Let's not forget there was a big surge of MJ music sale 3 years ago...so most won't want ANOTHER Bad album if they don't know about the demos & DVD. They just hear re-release.

BAD 25 has been everywhere so I don't understand why some are complaining about "lack" of promotion.

Italy had less Promo than US & UK yet the deluxe has been sitting @ #1 since release. There is only so much one can do without MJ around. Most effective & cheapest promo is seeing the artist perform..which is why Pink is on every TV show this week.

If Estate can flexibly react to unofficial products, why they dont read fans complains, articles and predictions like HDD... and flexibly and massively support PR for BAD25, lets say for 2-3 weeks... because it seems that only fans on fan forums know about BAD25.

Another PR failure for Sony and Estate!

Reactions: Bee

Message from the Michael Jackson Estate regarding the release of Bad 25

Hello!

We are so proud to celebrate the release of Bad25 with you. We also want to continue to celebrate Michael’s legacy as the biggest selling artist of all time. In order to do so, when sales of Bad25 reach 1 million units, The Estate will release an exclusive clip on MichaelJackson.com from the forthcoming Bad25 Documentary.

So, buy your copy of Bad25 today if you haven’t already, buy it for a friend if you already have a copy, and we’ll look forward to sharing this special content with you!

the Michael Jackson Estate

So, lets analyze that...

... units... 1 million... = 1 boxset = 3CD = 333k sets = 999k units?

I think the promo for BAD25 is definitely more than what Thriller25 got. Thriller25 was promoted mainly on the Internet (which was still a great promo, but mostly limited to the Internet). With BAD25 we got the Spike docu premiering on festivals, with great reviews to boost; and later airing on tv. We also got the PEPSI promo and that makes it better than what Thriller25 got. And of course the Internet promo with banners, social networks and stuff.

So I don't really think the promo has been that bad.

Official Charts Flashback: Michael Jackson – Bad
20/09/2012
By Dan Lane

‘And the whole world has to answer right now, Just to tell you once again, Who’s bad!’

25 years ago this month, Michael Jackson’s seminal 1987 album, Bad, topped the Official Albums Chart. To celebrate, OfficialCharts.com looks back at one of the most iconic albums of all time with 10 Official Chart Facts!

1, Bad debuted at Number 1 on the Official Albums Chart on September 13, 1987, and stayed at top spot for five weeks.

2, In its first week on sale, Bad sold over 350,000 copies here in the UK, which, at that point, made it the fastest selling album in Official Charts history (it is now the eleventh).

3, After shifting 1.6 million copies in under four months, Bad became the biggest selling album of 1987 in the UK. And, as it continued to sell in vast quantities long into the following year (980,000 copies), it became the third biggest selling album of 1989, too.

4, For the rest of the 1980s, Bad was the UK’s second biggest selling album (behind Dire Straights’ 1985 album, Brothers In Arms). Bad’s predecessor, Thriller, was the UK’s third biggest selling album of the 1980s. At that point, Great Britain was the only country in the world where Bad outsold Thriller.

5, Bad is now the UK’s ninth biggest selling album of all time, while Thriller has surged ahead into sixth place.

6, Bad, the track, was intended to be a duet with Prince, although scheduling conflicts meant that The King Of Pop and The Artist Formally Known As A Symbol never got to record it together.

7, Bad had no less than nine of its eleven tracks released as singles.

8, Despite huge UK album sales, Michael Jackson has never had more than one Number 1 single from any of his studio albums (excluding 1995's HIStory, which had a Greatest Hits element to it). Bad’s first single, I Just Can’t Stop Loving You hit Number 1 on the Official Singles Chart in August, 1987. The title track peaked at Number 3 the following month.

9, Man In The Mirror, which was released as a single in February 1988, was the only track from Badnot to go Top 20 in the UK’s Official Singles Chart; it peaked at Number 21. It wasn't until 21 years later, after Michael’s death in June, 2009 that it became a much bigger hit, reaching Number 2 in July 2009.

10, With six Top 5 singles, Bad is the only studio album, that has spawned so many Official Singles Chart Top 5 hits.

http://www.officialcharts.com/features/official-charts-flashback-michael-jackson-bad-1600/

Bubs said:
With six Top 5 singles, Bad is the only studio album, that has spawned so many Official Singles Chart Top 5 hits.

Didn't know that - pretty cool uk record.

Another PR failure for Sony and Estate!

There was loss of life in the london riots and loads lost their livelihoods, it was a deeply unpleasant few days so it's crass to use a photo from it to try and portray sony incompetence.

Update

Boxset

#1 Amazon.fr
#1 Amazon.it
#9 Amazon.ca
#18 Amazon.com
#21 Amazon.co.uk
#37 Amazon.de

DVD

Amazon.com

#1 in Movies & TV > DVD > Music Videos & Concerts

Amazon.co.uk

#1 in Film & TV > Music DVDs > Concerts
#1 in Film & TV > Music DVDs > Pop & Dance > Adult Pop

Here's HDD's latest prediction:

P!nk will score her first #1 and biggest sales debut on next week's chart. It’s her biggest debut ever, the previous being the 220k for her November 2001 album, Missundaztood. Here's how it looks headed into the weekend:

*P!nk (RCA) 225-245k
*Kayne West Presents G.O.O.D. Music Cruel Summer (G.O.O.D./Def Jam/IDJ) 180-200k
*The Killers (Island/IDJ) 110-120k
Dave Matthews Band (RCA) 60-70k
Little Big Town (Capitol Nashville) 50-60k
*Grizzly Bear (Warp) 40-45k
*Carly Rae Jepsen (604/Schoolboy/Interscope) 35-40k
Bob Dylan (Columbia) 30-35k
*Easton Corbin (Mercury Nashville) 30-35k
Adele (XL/Columbia) 27-30k
Avett Brothers (American/Republic) 27-30k
*Band of Horses (Columbia) 25-28k
*Ben Folds Five (Legacy) 23-26k
Maroon 5 (A&M/Octone) 20-23k
Imagine Dragons (Interscope) 20-23k

I don't understand why there's not a single mention of "Bad25". Hopefully it'll make the Top 10!

Last edited:
Sunwalker7;3712519 said:
Here's HDD's latest prediction:

P!nk will score her first #1 and biggest sales debut on next week's chart. It’s her biggest debut ever, the previous being the 220k for her November 2001 album, Missundaztood. Here's how it looks headed into the weekend:

*P!nk (RCA) 225-245k
*Kayne West Presents G.O.O.D. Music Cruel Summer (G.O.O.D./Def Jam/IDJ) 180-200k
*The Killers (Island/IDJ) 110-120k
Dave Matthews Band (RCA) 60-70k
Little Big Town (Capitol Nashville) 50-60k
*Grizzly Bear (Warp) 40-45k
*Carly Rae Jepsen (604/Schoolboy/Interscope) 35-40k
Bob Dylan (Columbia) 30-35k
*Easton Corbin (Mercury Nashville) 30-35k
Adele (XL/Columbia) 27-30k
Avett Brothers (American/Republic) 27-30k
*Band of Horses (Columbia) 25-28k
*Ben Folds Five (Legacy) 23-26k
Maroon 5 (A&M/Octone) 20-23k
Imagine Dragons (Interscope) 20-23k

It's difficult to believe that Bad 25 sold less than 20k in the US. I know that the US is not famous for being particularly fond of MJ, but even Immortal sold some 40k in its first week. Unless the distribution is totally messed up there as well and Bad25 cannot be found in stores etc.

Didn't they have Bad 25 in their previous prediction? What happened? :(

I'm gonna wait for the final list because this seems very irrealistic to me. If it's true that the sales of Bad 25 are so poor in the US then I'm pretty much shocked and saddened. This is a way better release than Thriller 25 was and that was a big success, selling some 200k+ in its first week. It cannot even be said that Thriller 25 sold so well because of the post-death MJ hype because it was released before, in 2008.

Even if Bad does not have the same appeal as Thriller for many (especially in the US), regardless of what the actual material contains (which is way better in the case of Bad25 IMO), but this would be ridiculous. Is it the high price or what? Would it have done better if Sony just released the album+remixes like they did with Thriller, but on a cheaper price? Maybe that would have sold better with the general public? But it would have been a lot worse release for fans (to me the crown jewels are the concert CD+DVD).

I hope this is just some misinformation. :-/

Back