Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days / Review @pg8

I have read this book and have no reason to doubt their honesty .. Actually there wasn't anything shocking in the book huh?
They wrote it with the most respect, and love the way they never call him Michael but just: Mister Jackson
They kept loyal on him for months even without $
I wished there were more nice things to read about Michael having fun etc..
it's not their fault, Michael lived an isolated and lonely life... I am sure they loved Michael and wished he had a more pleasant life as well.

I bet if people like Liz, Macaulay, Frank Dileo or Evvy Tavasci wrote a tell-all book (hypothetical scenario) about their friendship and how it was workings for Michael specially on details he chose to keep for himself, fans would scream betrayal and cashing in. There was no difference on what the bodyguards did with Cascio or Jermaine. Those books wouldn't had seen the light of the day if Michael was still here, that's for sure. But those people I mentioned first, respect/ed his privacy and are/were loyal to him.

^Supposedly Dileo was penning a book before his death. I wonder how much was completed and if his family will release it one day?

I bet if people like Liz, Macaulay, Frank Dileo or Evvy Tavasci wrote a tell-all book (hypothetical scenario) about their friendship and how it was workings for Michael specially on details he chose to keep for himself, fans would scream betrayal and cashing in. There was no difference on what the bodyguards did with Cascio or Jermaine. Those books wouldn't had seen the light of the day if Michael was still here, that's for sure. But those people I mentioned first, respect/ed his privacy and are/were loyal to him.

You said you wouldn't support the book... Have you read it?

Last edited:
The thing to remember with this and all other books is that they are told from a point of view. You only see one side of a story. I read the book and have recommended it to others. Personally I found it very moving in places. But it is people recalling what they remembered and people make mistakes. Sometimes stories are embellished to make them more entertaining and sometimes speculation is presented as fact. I don't know if either of these things happened in this book but I always think in life that if you weren't there and saw it with your own eyes then you should never take anything you've been told at face value. As for betraying Michael clearly they have broken his confidence and I can understand why some fans are hostile but this is not the hatchet job it so easily could has been.

Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days / Revie...

I see both sides - I read the book and enjoyed it. And I respect the attempt that they made to tell a sympathetic and realistic story in the midst of so much crap that was written about him. Having read the book and understanding what you are to take away from it- I do not think its a betrayal at all.

Bottom line, if people who knew him ended up pissed off by the lies people told about him in life and in death, if they feel the need to act on it, the best way to act is to tell the other side of the story, as telling them to stop lying just won't cut it. I am of the opinion that if one feels strongly enough to tell mjs side of the story in the way they viewed it first hand...then they should, as opposed to letting all these other folks who didn't step foot near MJ to tell mjs story in the most slanderous way possible. I understand the sentiment of not letting ONLY the liars get ownership of writing mjs history, legacy and life story. So the price of that action is of course "invading" mjs privacy (though the bodyguards really didn't know or say many private things about MJ. It was told literally like "this is what it's like being mj's bodyguards" and not "this is what MJ is like in private"). But honestly I can't say the privacy thing effects me so much. I think the price is worth it and I get why they said "if MJ was still alive you would not be reading this". When the gates have already been blown wide open as far as his privacy is concerned and all the liars are getting their little pieces to spin... I think now that MJ is gone it is not a betrayal go into that wide open gate and set the records straight or at least try to give a closer version of the truth.

And I would support a book by Mac or any of mj's closest friends if the intent is to show MJ as he really was.

^Supposedly Dileo was penning a book before his death. I wonder how much was completed and if his family will release it one day?

I've wondered about this as well. It would be interesting to read.

Don't you see? A positive book don't justify their means. We don't know for sure if all those people are telling the truth or their truth and I'm talking about those recent books, the only who could confirm it is no longer here. Why do you think Michael rarely gave interviews speaking about his private life and wore sunglasses? Because he wanted to protect it as much as he could. Even he let know his ghost writer on Moonwalk he regreted to be that frank but it was HIS CHOICE to tell those private moments. Who were they (Frank Cascio, Jermaine, Latoya, the bodyguards, Raymone Bain, etc) to divulge those details Michael chose to keep for himself?

"The price of fame can be a heavy one. Consider, that you really have no privacy. I´ve been accused of being obsessed with my privacy and it´s true that I am. If you were to ask me why I wear sunglasses in public as often as I do, I'd tell you it's because I simply don't like to have to constantly look everyone in the eye. It's a way of concealing just a bit of myself. There is so little privacy in my life that concealing a little bit of me is a way to give myself a break from all that. I like my privacy."
I don't have any problem Michael's close friends standing out for him, Elizabeth always did it especially when he needed it the most but she never cashed in and respected his privacy. Macaulay has stood for his friend in critical moments too and never used him either or Chris Tucker also. I'd be nice more people doing so the way those 3 friends have done it but I'm satisfied they told the truth.

We don't need to know every single detail on his private life to be sure Michael was a wonderful human being, father, friend, brother who wanted to do good and make people happy. He was dissected in his lifetime way too much, why don't people let him concealing for himself already (if you know what I mean)?

Last edited:

I've wondered about this as well. It would be interesting to read.

According to Dileo's daughter the book wasn't finished but her mother is finishing it.

Belinda Dileo ?@belindadileo 25 Sep 2013
@tinklove05 it wasn't finished. But I think we are going to finish it for him, and include stuff that happened after he past away!

Belinda Dileo ?@belindadileo 15 Apr 2014
@gsummers1972 Yes, my Mom is the process of finishing them off, adding the ending of the story!

At least Dileo has been with MJ for ages, unlike these bodyguards who were around for a second and already writing books.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this, as we can very plainly see. Some love the book and enjoyed it- for their own reasons. Others either don't like it or cannot find a reason to support it- again, for their own reasons. Is there a right or wrong answer? I don't know. I guess it's just all in how you see it.

I borrowed the book from the library, read it and even when it confused me a little, I liked it.

I believe they wrote this book out of the goodness of their hearts with no intention to hurt anyone. They showed respect and kindness and that is hard to find in books written about Michael. I'm going to buy it.

But as much as I like I ended up with some questions. Didn't MAW testified he brought Conrad when Paris had a cold? Now Bill says Conrad was brought through Jeff Adams. So, which is it?

I also wonder why Michael didn't buy something for the guy's kids during the Christmas shopping? Michael knew they didn't get paid. How is it that Michael loving children didn't think that all parents want to give something to their kids at Christmas time? I truly didn't understand that.

But as a whole, I like it and I'm glad they didn't only talk about the positive moments. I think they showed a picture from their point of view and am glad they didn't get influence with the tabloid nonsense.

Not sure why a shorter duration casts more doubt. We've got folks around for decades who have been less than honest or worse. I read the book and do think they were being honest from their perspective. Of course we all know that folks perceive the same situation differently, and memories might not always be entirely accurate. I also got the sense they intentionally left some things out or glossed over other things which affected the narrative at times.

The most important thing to me is getting as many positive books and articles published as possible so that the mountains of tabloid trash and media slander that has massacred Michael for decades are neutralized.

Aquarius;4049251 said:
I also wonder why Michael didn't buy something for the guy's kids during the Christmas shopping? Michael knew they didn't get paid. How is it that Michael loving children didn't think that all parents want to give something to their kids at Christmas time? I truly didn't understand that.

But as a whole, I like it and I'm glad they didn't only talk about the positive moments. I think they showed a picture from their point of view and am glad they didn't get influence with the tabloid nonsense.

I believe Michael would have, if only he realised ..
To me it looked Michael lived a very isolated life protecting his kids.
Maybe i am going too far by saying the word "paranoïde" .. Does any of you feel the same ?
Thats what really made me sad about reading the book.. To know he had no controle of his own life anymore :(
His kids meant the world and brought him joy, and he loved to have his bodyguards around him.. Thank god they stayed and kept loyal .. They were the only ones who didn't turn their back on him.

Treasure;4049309 said:
I believe Michael would have, if only he realised ..
To me it looked Michael lived a very isolated life protecting his kids.
Maybe i am going too far by saying the word "paranoïde" .. Does any of you feel the same ?
Thats what really made me sad about reading the book.. To know he had no controle of his own life anymore :(
His kids meant the world and brought him joy, and he loved to have his bodyguards around him.. Thank god they stayed and kept loyal .. They were the only ones who didn't turn their back on him.

Michael, paranoid? Oh, I have absolutely no doubts. I am not a doctor, but I would not be at all surprised if he had an anxiety disorder or possibly even PTSD on some level. Constantly being stalked by fans (both well-meaning fans and crazy ones), constantly being stalked by paparazzi ("stalkerazzi"), knowing that you can't trust 99% of the people around you, often times not having any control over his life, worrying if you'll get accused of more heinous acts in the future, and most importantly of all, trying to protect his babies from that very same world. I would not doubt it at all if he was highly paranoid and in fact, I would say he had every reason in the world to be.

What about Elizabeth Taylor, Chris Tucker, nephews for example Taj,TJ, Taryll, at least the parents in the Cascio family, Diana Ross, Michael Bush, Mac,Lou Ferrigno, Miko Brando,girlfriends and more

What about Elizabeth Taylor, Chris Tucker, nephews for example Taj,TJ, Taryll, at least the parents in the Cascio family, Diana Ross, Michael Bush, Mac,Lou Ferrigno, Miko Brando,girlfriends and more

I got the sense that although those people were loyal - they were distant. MJ didn't really have many people around him that he could trust , especially after the trial. Partially because people are doing their own things and I think partially because of mj wanting to be isolated to some degree.

It sucks cuz all the paranoia and isolation was absolutely understandable. You have to realize that LWMj and the whole Gavin thing ... It was MJ trying to open up and NOT be so paranoid and BE more accessible. And this is of course AFTER he got betrayed by his finance folks.

And I remember that era so well - he was so ready to get back on track. And what did he get for his attempts? Betrayed. Again - in the worst possible way. So it makes the most sense that he would be paranoid. After the trial, just focusing on parenting and nothing else probably made the most sense. So he kept his team small and his whereabouts secret - therefore the isolation.

If I were him I prob would have handled it the same way to be honest. Everyone get the hell away from me so I can raise my kids in peace.

And like the guards said - mj's paranoia was about 90% justified.

I got the sense that although those people were loyal - they were distant. MJ didn't really have many people around him that he could trust , especially after the trial. Partially because people are doing their own things and I think partially because of mj wanting to be isolated to some degree.

It sucks cuz all the paranoia and isolation was absolutely understandable. You have to realize that LWMj and the whole Gavin thing ... It was MJ trying to open up and NOT be so paranoid and BE more accessible. And this is of course AFTER he got betrayed by his finance folks.

And I remember that era so well - he was so ready to get back on track. And what did he get for his attempts? Betrayed. Again - in the worst possible way. So it makes the most sense that he would be paranoid. After the trial, just focusing on parenting and nothing else probably made the most sense. So he kept his team small and his whereabouts secret - therefore the isolation.

If I were him I prob would have handled it the same way to be honest. Everyone get the hell away from me so I can raise my kids in peace.

And the other 10%? lol I think he was 100% justified. But that's just me.

Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days / Revie...

I got the sense he was largely oblivious half of the time about the bodyguards' payment predicament because he paid other people to handle that mess. Lol I'm willing to bet folks like Raymone said "yep mike payroll was taken care of" and he'd assume she was telling the truth.

B/c if he really didn't care, half of his reactions in the book wouldn't have made sense - he got so pissed when he found out what was going on and so happy when he thought he rectified it (the image of MJ being all excited at the ebony shoot is forever etched in my mind lol so cute!).

The only anomaly to that was when they were at the store but tbh, MJ not being perfect - I think MJ just didn't wanna deal with any signs that things were not going right. He's been disappointed way too many times and if there ain't one thing, it's another. For that moment I think he just wanted to freaking do his thing without worrying about a crisis for once.

Edit: sorry for the double posts, on my phone

Re: Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days / Revie...

I got the sense he was largely oblivious half of the time about the bodyguards' payment predicament because he paid other people to handle that mess. Lol I'm willing to bet folks like Raymone said "yep mike payroll was taken care of" and he'd assume she was telling the truth.

B/c if he really didn't care, half of his reactions in the book wouldn't have made sense - he got so pissed when he found out what was going on and so happy when he thought he rectified it (the image of MJ being all excited at the ebony shoot is forever etched in my mind lol so cute!).

The only anomaly to that was when they were at the store but tbh, MJ not being perfect - I think MJ just didn't wanna deal with any signs that things were not going right. He's been disappointed way too many times and if there ain't one thing, it's another. For that moment I think he just wanted to freaking do his thing without worrying about a crisis for once.

I need to re-read the book and look it in more detail. I rushed through reading it because I just wanted to have it read and know what was going on. I remember some things, but most of it never "stuck".

When I said they were the only ones who didn't turn their back on him, I meant those days/that time ..I am sure people like Diana Ross loved Michael forever, but think they lost out of touch..
I get your point Mist ...Of course there were a few who didn't turn their back ....just wish one of them could have saved him :(

When I said they were the only ones who didn't turn their back on him, I meant those days/that time ..I am sure people like Diana Ross loved Michael forever, but think they lost out of touch..
I get your point Mist ...Of course there were a few who didn't turn their back ....just wish one of them could have saved him :(
And all of those people were busy with their own lives, work and families, etc. They couldn't be there 24/7. I always wished (and because of this) that Michael could have met and married a nice, sweet, supportive, loving girl-the type of woman who didn't mind her husband being "married to his work" and didn't want anything from him, but him. I know for a fact that it's hard to find a soul mate when you're shy, but I wish it had happened for him.

I Agree with barb and treasure however I think I've moved past the "if onlys" - because even if MJ had someone like that ... I'm not sure if she would have prevented what happened from happening.

By reading these books and seeing all these perspectives, I think a lot contributed to all that led up to that day. Simple answer - the thing that could have "saved him" was another more competent doctor. But also The avrisos not lying and destroying his life would probably have saved him too. Let's not forget the many leeches in the business that tried to use and take advantage of him (and often times succeeded) - those same people who nearly destroyed mj's ability to discern who and who not to trust...the press and paps not making his life a circus, that not being around could have helped.

The quack doctors (not just Murray) who only wanted a buck and recognition, who took whatever liberties necessary instead of providing MJ the right care and advice.

All of this I've found could have "saved" him. Hell, cpr performed properly could have saved him ><

And yes, someone being by his side would have helped but who's to say MJ would have ever gotten to the point of trusting someone that deeply after the trial? He couldn't even trust his own doctor.

But I guess I've realized no amount of changing history could have prevented things from happening the way it did. The bodyguard's book helped me realize that. Mj's world was so complex and complicated and STRESSFUL... Hell, I was stressed just reading through it, and that's was just during the lull period before the "king of pop" stuff started happening. So I just don't think there would have been a simple solution, IMO. Not anyone's fault really - not even those folks who were mj's friends and got busy with their own lives. Not even mj's fault totally, he was just trapped in a crazy life.

Eep sorry for the ramble lol

J5-I don't think that the right woman would have necessarily changed the outcome, (too many elements came together throughout his life to lead to that tragedy, just as these elements came together in one crazy magical moment to catapult him to unparalleled success )but loneliness is a horrible thing and you can be wretchedly lonely even when surrounded by people. Even friends. And your kids.
I just wanted this for him so he could know when he came home at the end of the day that he was truly, deeply and unconditionally loved just for himself.

I Agree with barb and treasure however I think I've moved past the "if onlys" - because even if MJ had someone like that ... I'm not sure if she would have prevented what happened from happening.

By reading these books and seeing all these perspectives, I think a lot contributed to all that led up to that day. Simple answer - the thing that could have "saved him" was another more competent doctor. But also The avrisos not lying and destroying his life would probably have saved him too. Let's not forget the many leeches in the business that tried to use and take advantage of him (and often times succeeded) - those same people who nearly destroyed mj's ability to discern who and who not to trust...the press and paps not making his life a circus, that not being around could have helped.

The quack doctors (not just Murray) who only wanted a buck and recognition, who took whatever liberties necessary instead of providing MJ the right care and advice.

All of this I've found could have "saved" him. Hell, cpr performed properly could have saved him ><

And yes, someone being by his side would have helped but who's to say MJ would have ever gotten to the point of trusting someone that deeply after the trial? He couldn't even trust his own doctor.

But I guess I've realized no amount of changing history could have prevented things from happening the way it did. The bodyguard's book helped me realize that. Mj's world was so complex and complicated and STRESSFUL... Hell, I was stressed just reading through it, and that's was just during the lull period before the "king of pop" stuff started happening. So I just don't think there would have been a simple solution, IMO. Not anyone's fault really - not even those folks who were mj's friends and got busy with their own lives. Not even mj's fault totally, he was just trapped in a crazy life.

Eep sorry for the ramble lol

You make many good points and it's very much what I feel. So many things "if only" they had been different, but in my personal opinion, the only person who could have saved Michael, was Michael.

Liz was planning to join him in London and MJ had even bought furnishings for her to stay at his Estate while he was on tour. Others were also planning to join him there also. I could be wrong but I don't think his close friends were distant.

Re: Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days / Revie...

Agree. I found his action strange but like you put it, maybe he didn't want to deal with the non-payment issue at that moment.

By no means I think less of Michael. That action doesn't overwrite all the goodness he did for others.

Back