Book: Remember the Time: Protecting Michael Jackson in His Final Days / Review @pg8

What do you mean that he had no control of his life? I see 2 people wrote that above. To me, statements like that is what haters run with and portray Micahel as this person of little intelligence and no ability to conduct his life. It reminds me of that woman on tv saying this is a man who never did anything right, so I don't know what those bodyguards said in the book to make 2 people draw that conclusion. Obviously Michael had control of his life the way everyone does, in spite of others interjecting their power, actions, personalities into the plans and goals we set for ourselves. People can interfere or limit the control you have of your life but no one can take all your control away not even in jail. There you still have some control, so again what did the bodyguards say to make people say this?

Liz was planning to join him in London and MJ had even bought furnishings for her to stay at his Estate while he was on tour. Others were also planning to join him there also. I could be wrong but I don't think his close friends were distant.

Hi Victory22

I think Liz always stayed loyal to Michael huh?
Bought her furnishings? Why?
As a close friend she should have known, Michael did not have the money to spend.. She could have taken care for that herself huh ... I see Michael always was the gentleman ;)
I just missed her in the book..

All to all i have to say..
I wished i didn't read the book.. Not because of how it is written but because i learned about how he lived his sad and lonely life .. It made me feel sad and made my "IF" list longer and longer ... Oh if only......

What do you mean that he had no control of his life? I see 2 people wrote that above. To me, statements like that is what haters run with and portray Micahel as this person of little intelligence and no ability to conduct his life. It reminds me of that woman on tv saying this is a man who never did anything right, so I don't know what those bodyguards said in the book to make 2 people draw that conclusion. Obviously Michael had control of his life the way everyone does, in spite of others interjecting their power, actions, personalities into the plans and goals we set for ourselves. People can interfere or limit the control you have of your life but no one can take all your control away not even in jail. There you still have some control, so again what did the bodyguards say to make people say this?

Well I don't think that when people say this that they mean ALL control. Obviously, he could still function so he had control :p

But they're saying it in a sense that his "empire" that was once riding high at one point in his life....completely disintegrated in front of him. And most of it was due to things not in his control. In that way, its kinda like watching everything come crashing down around you and sure, eventually you have the control to pick things up eventually ...but its still crashing down lol. And there's not much you can do about it.

Also, it makes more sense to say it in the context of a celebrity. Because to you and I...well, we don't have an entourage managing almost every aspect of our lives. These people MJ paid and trusted to do their jobs and time and time again, they betrayed him or were incompetent. So this entourage, this "empire" that is interwoven in his life and surrounds his life...spun completely out of his control so to speak. Mostly because at the time this book was set in, he was recovering from the trial. And, placing myself in his shoes, it's hard to wrap your head around the folks that are making money off of you thanks to your "empire" when you went through such a traumatic experience. So things start to fall apart. And people start to take advantage. And things get a bit out of hand.

So, in that way he had no control. It was a machine, as he often said. With something that big surrounding you, and you're just trying so hard to get things together for yourself, you can't keep track of it all. And people are just vultures in MJ's world and MJ knew that but there wasn't much he could do because he had to trust SOMEONE (or rather many) to maintain his affairs. Just so happens that most of the time when he does, he gets screwed over. And in that way he had "no control."

Haters are gonna find anything to hate on really, so what haters say doesn't matter to me when it comes to understanding MJ's life lol. You'll see in the book that MJ was more than intelligent, he was cunning. He tested people, and as we expressed - cautious (or paranoid). But that doesn't mean this helped reel in the massive network of money-grabbers his very name attracted. This wheel of everyone wanting a piece of you or just SOMETHING out of you at any given time but at the same time, you needing to rely on these people to maintain the life you want, that's being kept alive essentially by these money-grabbers...like I said, its a machine. ANd I think its easier said than done to pretend to know exactly how to manage something like that after going through an experience like that trial.

Hi Petrarose,

I don't think any of the above meant it negative as you read it... I know non of us are haters

He seemed to controle the only thing that really matterend to him: His kids.. And he was damn right about that

As for the things he did not controle as Money, people who worked for him and even a place to stay :(

But i am pretty sure all above members didn't blame him for this .. There is absolut no hate in this thread

Great posts J5 and Treasure. Perfect way to describe the out of control life. Or empire as you called it. Michael's expertise was music and later parenting.
I haven't read the book yet but I know that everyone he seemed to hire later for their expertise were in it for themselves only.

Yep. I honestly think that MJ was very cunning as a business man when it came to strategy or creative innovative things ( but not so much in numbers and manipulation). In the book there were times where he showed what things were wise to invest in and what not. He wasn't completely helpless but he also wasn't an expert and an expert is what you need when running something like that.

I always got the feeling that MJ pushed pretty much everything to the side that didn't involve his kids and his creativity (movie making, music for enjoyment not necessarily performing, and getting out of that Sony situation). Because when you were literally faced with the prospect of never seeing your kids again - that's kind of what you do. Everything else isn't important - especially since MJ wasn't necessarily money driven ( but at the same time he wanted to keep the platform that success and fame gave him so it's a conflict/complication).

so is this book any good? because i'm this close to purchase it...

JEM, that is really up to you to make that decision, and the only way to find out if you will like it, is it to read :) I enjoyed it, personally, but that doesn't mean you or everyone else will.

so is this book any good? because i'm this close to purchase it...

I enjoyed it so much that I binged it over 24 hours... I rarely do that with books tbh. It's a fascinating insight into Michael as a father and who he was :)

I'm half through with the book, and i gotta say it is very good. But the only thing i don't like about the book, is the overuse of the words: "shit", "pissed" and "****/****ing".....

And i really felt sorry for MJ, when one of the bodyguards accidentally called him an asshole...

One of the reasons the owner of AEG did not want to work with Michael is because of his constant lawsuits. Especially because many of these lawsuits involved Michael keeping money that he was not owed.

One of the stipulations for Michael to work with AEG Live was he had to settle the lawsuit with the Prince of Bahrain. Michael skipped out on the Prince and so the Prince sued Michael. There was a binding contract in which AEG Live had to pay the Prince of Bahrain so that Michael was no longer financially obligated to the Prince of Bahrain. Was Michael to blame for leaving the Prince of Bahrian high and dry with nothing to show for the money that the Prince of Bahrain had paid to Michael. There was little work done and never completed, according to what both the Prince of Bahrain and Michael had originally agreed upon. It was great Michael had a place of refuge to go to in the middle east. After all the Prince of Bahrain was not the first royal personage of the Middle East Michael had worked with. The HIStory tour shows this to be true. Michael lost money during that time. Was this what prompted Michael to walk, instead of fulfilling his obligation to the Prince of Bahrain?

I would definitely say Michael knew what he was doing. He did make choices, so he did have control over his life. Perhaps what I have illustrated with the Prince of Bahrain, is what the bodyguard's came up against concerning if Michael knew what he was doing NOT paying them their salaries.

^^Can you tell me what part about the Prince connects with the book? I am not getting something here...

A classic illustration involving finances. Michael leaving the Prince high and dry and AEG Live picking up the tab for legal reasons. It's why Michael was involved with many lawsuits the last ten year's of his life.
It's why AEG Live had to settle the lawsuit with the Prince of Bahrain or Michael could not have a legal binding contract and perform at the 02 Arena in London. Philip Anschutz was hesitant about working with Michael because of all those lawsuits, where Michael would receive monies and then walk and not do the work he agreed to do, after he received money.

The bodyguard's give a different scenario about Michael's mindset when it came to these issues of money and Michael. Like he was some weak willed imbecile. I don't believe he was. I think the bodyguard's cast some light to sell their book that makes it appear that Michael didn't know what was going on. Yet when you look at Michael walking away from the Prince of Bahrain, I do not see a weak willed individual. Tom Barrack had to convince Philip Anschutz to give Michael a chance. Would Michael take the money and not perform his financial obligation? The headlines in the months leading up to Michael performing at the 02 Arena kept us fan's wondering.

I really want this book.

Think I will put it on my wish list for christmas - and if I don't get it I will buy it after christmas.

Does anyone know if this book has been translated to other languages? - Maybe even Danish? :)

Question regarding security. Does anyone know what Wayne has been up to? I know Bill and Skip passed away, but it seems Wayne has kept his mouth shut all these decades and I bow for that :bow:

I finished this book in 2 days. I loved it ha ha. I love behind the scenes stuff (Who knows how much is 100% true).

It gave a real good view on how his life was and how simple it was before This Is It started up. I like how the bodyguards shed him in a good light and they were also not afraid to talk about stuff that made them angry about Michael. Overall good though.

Funniest story was grocery shopping in disguise and some shoppers thought it was him. Bodyguard tells the manager he can't take the disguise off and can't tell him who is under there. Finally, he says it's Prince lol.

NOBODY bothered them after. He told Michael in the car "I told him you were Prince" and Mike goes "ha ha that's why everybody left me alone" lollll

Another thing the book really shows (if you take the book at full face value) is how clueless MJ was with his overall business and money dealings. I did know how bad it really was financially for him (in terms of non-asset cash flow, etc). He was used a lot. I commend these bodyguards for how much they went through.

Hess;4059327 said:
Does anyone know if this book has been translated to other languages? - Maybe even Danish? :)
Bill Whitfield @MJBODYGUARDS · 15. Okt.

I am pleased that Remember The Time, Protecting Michael Jackson In His Final Days will be released in Germany in 2015.

Bill Whitfield @MJBODYGUARDS · 2. Jan.

Wishing Everyone a happy and healthy New Year. God bless & Much Love...."Dancing in the Sky"

B6Zyc7_CYAEIxIX.jpg:large

Bill Whitfield @MJBODYGUARDS · 3. Jan.

If you had a friend that was misunderstood and misrepresented would you shed true light on who they really were?

i started to read the book .cant wait it.i read 2 days now 150 pages and can not stop reading it.it is very good.I recomend it.And till now respects Michael and his fans (have not read other pages of this thread)

Back