HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Should HIStory Tour be released to cinemas?

Yeah, because it's like you said "live performance" or live entertainment, live spectacle. And not necessarily live vocal performance. A lot of his performances were actually reproductions of his videos on stage in front of the live audience (Smooth Criminal, The Way You Make Me Feel, Beat It, Thriller...).

Then why not just watch one of videos instead?

Did we really need another thread about this?

How can anyone watch something like this and not cringe?

This is embarrassing

Why didn't he just sing this live? He has the vocals obviously!

Why not? I think it's an interesting discussion

It's not interesting, it's the same people complaining over and over again just because they can't get what they want. HIStory World Tour is inevitable, as it's unreleased.

It's not interesting, it's the same people complaining over and over again just because they can't get what they want. HIStory World Tour is inevitable, as it's unreleased.

People aren't complaining. People want what's best for Michael

And you say this topic is not interesting, and yet you were the very first person to reply to it

But we've been through it a number of times already. It's like going in circles.

I wanted to make a poll because I was curious to see how split fans were on the topic.

Why not? I think it's an interesting discussion

I agree.

6421-michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Bravo! I agree with this statement 100%. It's about entertainment. Not just about vocal abilities and live singing. If people want that they can go to opera or Adele concert. If they want to be entertained for 2 hours they go to cinema. Batman, Superman, Spiderman & The Avengers proves that. Those movies made billions because they are entertaining. Nobody questioned if they are really superheroes or they just pretended to be ones.
What? A movie and a concert are two completely different things. I have to say that I would be a little bit embarrassed when watching You Are Not Alone performance from History Tour in a movie theater full of people.

I voted for no.....I just don't see the point,I'd be more than happy with a BD release.
I'm not sure what it was like anywhere else but the two times I went to the cinema to watch This Is It there were no more than ten people there on both occasions so I'm not sure what kind of numbers this would get.

The poll should have one more option - No, choose another tour.

If the question is HIStory or nothing ever - then YES of course.

If the question is HIStory or another tour - then NO - release another tour. - A better Dangerours concert or BAD in HQ.

I voted for no.....I just don't see the point,I'd be more than happy with a BD release.
I'm not sure what it was like anywhere else but the two times I went to the cinema to watch This Is It there were no more than ten people there on both occasions so I'm not sure what kind of numbers this would get.

More objectively, This Is It was very successful in the theaters - the box office numbers were widely reported. It made about $261 million. As a comparation I picked a random, fairly popular recent movie which was even nominated for an Oscar this year - The Imitation Game. It made $209 million. So TII did VERY well. But that was right after Michael's death. Another concert would not produce the same numbers no matter how good - and HIStory Tour is not even good. But even if it was a Bad or Dangerous or Victory tour cinema release it would not produce similar numbers to TII. Not even close. That was a one off due to MJ's death.

So you like HIStory Tour more just because it's in HD? That's very shallow

No, I just like HIStory Tour. You hate it, I like it. That's it. Nothing to do with video quality.

I LOVE the HIStory Tour. I saw two shows & when i was there (first row) NOTHING irked me. It was perfect & flawless. And a visual experience which was unheard of at that time (the dancing, the space ship, the tank, the video intro).

That being said, if the plan is to show a HIStory concert in the same state, like we saw on tv (regarding the vocals), i'm against it, because it's unfavorable for MJ. IMO the sound editing on the tv versions made everything worse than it actually was.

The best concert would be a Dangerous show. At least for me. Greatest intro: The toaster & subsequent standing there like a statue. Greatest Outro: Rocket Man. Great visuals (the globe, the SC lean, the Angel, ...) And some of the best dancing & a good amount of live vocals.

BAD Tour and Dangerous tour still had enough live vocals in them. Also the lip synced vocals on the BAD Tour wasn't as noticeable as the HIStory Tour, because on the BAD Tour his live vocals and album vocals matched pretty well. Also one off TV performance like Motown 25 and the superbowl don't count, because they were one off TV performances. And the 30th anniversary concerts? He looked really sick there

If he was sick, he could have postponed it. He didn't because even if he wasn't sick (and he wasn't for more than a year!), he would have still done it this way - maybe not all songs all the time, but definitely more than on his previous tours. It's just how he prefered it. It was his decision. And he was the artist and it was his show. You are not the artist, you are the audience, and if you don't like his show, then don't watch it. Simple.

Also why would TV performances and Superbowl not count? Other artists do it live, he could have done it live, if he wanted to. It just wasn't that important to him and to the live audience as it is to you.

Then why not just watch one of videos instead?

Well, I love his live performances. I love that gif that you have in your signature. It's you that have a problem with it.

People want what's best for Michael

Agreed. And that is full theatres all around the world enjoying one of the greatest shows on earth. Enjoying MJ's music, singing his songs, watching him in 3D. Breaking audience and gross records for concert film...

If he was sick, he could have postponed it. He didn't because even if he wasn't sick (and he wasn't for more than a year!), he would have still done it this way - maybe not all songs all the time, but definitely more than on his previous tours. It's just how he prefered it. It was his decision. And he was the artist and it was his show. You are not the artist, you are the audience, and if you don't like his show, then don't watch it. Simple.

We as a fans can criticize it and tell our opinion about it. Just because it was Michael's deicison it doesn't mean that we have to like it. :)

HIStory Tour is not even good.

In your opinion..

But even if it was a Bad or Dangerous or Victory tour cinema release it would not produce similar numbers to TII. Not even close. That was a one off due to MJ's death.

I actually think that HIStory Tour is better for 3D theatre release, than Victory, Bad or even Dangerous. It's just more theatrical and it would work perfectly in theatres and especially in 3D. The tank, the crane, the spaceship, the fire... it's just more exciting for wider audience and not just for MJ fans or music lovers in general.

While I agree that Bad and Dangerous tours are better tours than HIStory, I think HIStory Tour is perfect choice for theatrical release. And people will want to see that show after they see the trailer! It will not do This Is It well, but it will most definitely do well on box office.

We as a fans can criticize it and tell our opinion about it. Just because it was Michael's deicison it doesn't mean that we have to like it. :)

Of course. I wouldn't do it like him. I would go for live vocals and leave out some of the choreography. But it was his decision, his show and we as fans should celebrate it, not hate it or protest against its release. It's ok if you don't like it, but stop trying to change the history. It is how it is and it should be shown how it happened as it is part of his story and part of history books - one of the highest grossing tours ever at that time, broke all kind of records (audience and gross). It should be celebrated, not hidden from the world just because he lip synched. Also it should be put into context - a lot of people was doing it back then. It was not that big of a deal like it is now. I'm sure that even MJ wouldn't do it like that these days.

I LOVE the HIStory Tour. I saw two shows & when i was there (first row) NOTHING irked me. It was perfect & flawless. And a visual experience which was unheard of at that time (the dancing, the space ship, the tank, the video intro).

That being said, if the plan is to show a HIStory concert in the same state, like we saw on tv (regarding the vocals), i'm against it, because it's unfavorable for MJ. IMO the sound editing on the tv versions made everything worse than it actually was.

The best concert would be a Dangerous show. At least for me. Greatest intro: The toaster & subsequent standing there like a statue. Greatest Outro: Rocket Man. Great visuals (the globe, the SC lean, the Angel, ...) And some of the best dancing & a good amount of live vocals.

I was at two History shows and came away mighty disappointed both times. Judging by the crowd reaction I wasn't the only one.

I wouldn't mind as much if he would have re=recorded his vocals, but miming to 30 year old tracks? That's not the best superstar ever.

In your opinion..

I actually think that HIStory Tour is better for 3D theatre release, than Victory, Bad or even Dangerous. It's just more theatrical and it would work perfectly in theatres and especially in 3D. The tank, the crane, the spaceship, the fire... it's just more exciting for wider audience and not just for MJ fans or music lovers in general.

While I agree that Bad and Dangerous tours are better tours than HIStory, I think HIStory Tour is perfect choice for theatrical release. And people will want to see that show after they see the trailer! It will not do This Is It well, but it will most definitely do well on box office.

Like I said, IMO this thread is just going in circles. We have been through this same discussion a number of times with the same handful of people with the exact same arguments. I've made my point as well as a lot of others about why it's not a good idea to put HIStory tour in the cinemas. I have no interest in keeping explaining the same points over and over again. I'm out, but I think the poll speaks for itself.

I was at two History shows and came away mighty disappointed both times. Judging by the crowd reaction I wasn't the only one.

I wouldn't mind as much if he would have re=recorded his vocals, but miming to 30 year old tracks? That's not the best superstar ever.

Was the lip-syncing noticeable when being there? Was there I point during the concert when you thought: He isn't singing?

Was the lip-syncing noticeable when being there? Was there I point during the concert when you thought: He isn't singing?

All the way through. It was just like the CDs for most of it. And the bits where he did sing (e.g. Janet's lines in Scream), made it all the more noticeable.

I admit, I was spoiled having also been at Bad & Dangerous tours, but I was so disappointed.

I was glad when TII was shown as it proved he could still sing live. I had taken my girlfriend (now wife) to see HIStory even though she isn't a big MJ fan, and was embarrassed, so TII at least turned her opinion around.

I think Dangerous Tour would work best for a cinema release, because visually it's stunning to watch. E.G Toaster intro and rocket man outro, it's got great dancing, and it has enough live vocals in it to show off Michael as a live singer.

I think Dangerous Tour would work best for a cinema release, because visually it's stunning to watch. E.G Toaster intro and rocket man outro, it's got great dancing, and it has enough live vocals in it to show off Michael as a live singer.

If they use jumbotron footage then I would agree but if they have some Bad Tour concerts like the Man in the Mirror part in Moonwalker then I would choose that. That would be perfect for cinema.

I voted no. The HIStory tour is just really hard for me to watch. It's my least favourite of his tours and the lip syncing just makes it hard to watch. I wouldn't want the general public thinking Michael couldn't sing live.

No. No. No.

I love Mike, but the HIStory tour was not his greatest moment. Don't get me wrong, his dancing for much of this tour was sublime - like it was on most of his tours - but it fell short in so many other areas.

We can all accept some lip syncing. Even the Bad tour had it. However, I cannot even watch the HIStory tour these days because of the almost complete lack of live vocals. Whatever anyone tries to say, it IS important, especially if you are considering a theatrical release. Anything released in the cinemas should show MJ at his absolute best. When he was at his peak. When he was dancing and singing live.

We can all accept lip syncing on certain numbers, eg Smooth Criminal/Jam. However, I as a fan cannot sit there in a cinema, and have non-MJ fans sit there and watch him lip sync to almost every song in a 2 hour live set. It doesn't do MJ any favours whatsoever.

Mike had an incredible 40-odd year career, and he had so many incredible live performances and tours in that time that really showcase his ability as a consummate live performer. The History tour has its moments, and his dancing is great, but MJ was not just a dancer. It would do him a great disservice to pick a show from the History tour over shows from other tours.

I can just tell you all that your bitching about lip syncing is irrelevant. The HIStory Tour release will come. Don't know when, but it will most certainly come. In theatres. And in 3D. Various unofficial and official sources spoke about it. It's happening. I just beg all of you who are against it, DON'T RUIN IT FOR US WHO WANT TO ENJOY IT. Please. If you're against it, just don't buy the ticket and don't go to see it. There's no need to be over dramatic and start all kinds of petitions or rallies, boycott invitations, Sony and Estate bashing etc. Just sit back and pass on this one. There will be projects that some of you will be more interested in and I'm sure you wouldn't want someone, especially a fellow MJ fan, ruin it for you. I'm waiting for this release for quite some times now and I'm really excited about it.

To put it as politely and respectfully as possible...

In my eyes it will easily be the biggest mistake the Estate will ever make. And I won't waste my money on it.

Let's just leave it at that.

I can just tell you all that your bitching about lip syncing is irrelevant. The HIStory Tour release will come. Don't know when, but it will most certainly come. In theatres. And in 3D. Various unofficial and official sources spoke about it. It's happening. I just beg all of you who are against it, DON'T RUIN IT FOR US WHO WANT TO ENJOY IT. Please. If you're against it, just don't buy the ticket and don't go to see it. There's no need to be over dramatic and start all kinds of petitions or rallies, boycott invitations, Sony and Estate bashing etc. Just sit back and pass on this one. There will be projects that some of you will be more interested in and I'm sure you wouldn't want someone, especially a fellow MJ fan, ruin it for you. I'm waiting for this release for quite some times now and I'm really excited about it.

This coming from someone who continues to complain about the fact that "Love Never Felt So Good" was the lead single from XSCAPE and "Slave to the Rhythm"/"Chicago" was not.

Back