HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Should HIStory Tour be released to cinemas?

No.Not a theatrical release for the HIStory Tour. Just release it on bluray via the official fan site. As much as I enjoyed being at the concert, it doesn't translate well onto the screen. The intro video has aged horribly, the rocket coming through the stage is way too slow & crawls from beneath the stage at the wrong angle, it should have come straight up through the stage & much much faster, & the lip-syncing is embarrassing. And also for every single reason others have mentioned. Bad 88/89 or Dangerous 92 for theaters. Mike at his physical best, his happiest & most dynamic, simple as. I want to show Mike off, not make excuses for him, & people are not fools, they'll know as plain as day that he's not singing.

Huge-Academy-Award-Worthy-Clapping-MRW-Gif.gif

:no: I saw a bootleg version of the tour, did cringe at some of his "vocals", but gave him props for his the-show-must-go-on spunk for sticking with it while being ill. That said, it isn't a good enough reason for a cinematic release. He's had better tours than HIStory and they should be released first. HIStory should get the HD treatment, but go straight to Blu Ray/DVD as an extra, like was done for the Wembley show of BAD.

Hell, some of his Jackson 5 live performances should be released before HIStory!

Ease back off the GOLD PANTS, folks... :lmao:

Simon%20Cowell%20no_zpsup03b8ks.jpg

The History tour aired several times outside of the U.S. without backlash and/or low ratings due to lip-synching.

The last time I can recall a History Tour concert being broadcast was in the immediate wake of Michael's death, at a time when anything with his name on it was guaranteed to rake in millions of viewers. That, plus the fact that most people aren't even aware of the tour.

I hope one day someone will make a World Tour Docu Movie, that captures the complete thing...
not just showing one concert from start to end, but capturing the worldwide hysteria, the phenomena that every tour he did was.

Of course this would mean getting hold of tons of footage and copyrights from many different sources, national TV stations etc
(MJ arriving there, MJ welcomed by national polititians there etc, MJ giving rare interviews, MJ getting awards on the way etc etc. So probably it's never gonna happen.

Question is, why do docus like this exist for other artists? There are docus for old rock bands that follow / show every step...
Is the situtation with Michael Jackson footage that much different, or are the people in charge just not as lazy as the MJ Estate seems to be?

They could do a doc on any tour, but as far as Bad goes, they already did Bad 25 and that seemed to cover the big things for the most part.

The last time I can recall a History Tour concert being broadcast was in the immediate wake of Michael's death, at a time when anything with his name on it was guaranteed to rake in millions of viewers. That, plus the fact that most people aren't even aware of the tour.

I'm pretty sure HIStory Tour might be the most broadcasted tour of his on TV. Most(if not all) of the pro concerts from the tour we have were originally shown on TV and I'm sure they might haven shown them again after his death.

^^i know it's a stupid question. But were these broadcast in the different countries he toured in. Is that why there are so many versions??
I never saw any versions here. (Til YouTube. )

This is the only argument I could possibly make:

Why release a project that the fan community cannot come into a general agreement on?

^^i know it's a stupid question. But were these broadcast in the different countries he toured in. Is that why there are so many versions??

the Tunis concert aired after Michael passed, as did the high def version of Live in Munich... slightly unrelated, i love the professional amateur concert footage from Chile 1993! those kinda angles would definitely work for tour releases

the Tunis concert aired after Michael passed, as did the high def version of Live in Munich... slightly unrelated, i love the professional amateur concert footage from Chile 1993! those kinda angles would definitely work for tour releases
I just never saw it in the US-maybe it was on cable. Like the Dangerous In Bucharest show.

I was wondering because I bought this kinda expensive set of 35 Michael DVDs about five years ago and half of them are HIStory tours.(that I've never watched)

Last edited:

Yes only in the countries the concerts took place I think. For example I heard that the Helsinki concert was broadcasted here in my country at the time but there is no channel logo on the video so it might not recorded from TV.

I think this thread answers the question. If approx only half of his hardcore fans would want it, what makes you think the general public would?

:no: I saw a bootleg version of the tour, did cringe at some of his "vocals", but gave him props for his the-show-must-go-on spunk for sticking with it while being ill. That said, it isn't a good enough reason for a cinematic release. He's had better tours than HIStory and they should be released first.

Ease back off the GOLD PANTS, folks... :lmao:

LOL!! Best laugh I've had in a month!!!

I hope one day someone will make a World Tour Docu Movie, that captures the complete thing...
not just showing one concert from start to end, but capturing the worldwide hysteria, the phenomena that every tour he did was.

Of course this would mean getting hold of tons of footage and copyrights from many different sources, national TV stations etc
(MJ arriving there, MJ welcomed by national polititians there etc, MJ giving rare interviews, MJ getting awards on the way etc etc. So probably it's never gonna happen.
Your post reminded me of the MTV series "Motown to Your Town" of the BAD tour that they ran on MTV, but also on network TV here in the U.S. And also the "Dangerous Diaries." Both of those are that type of documentary.
Maybe the Estate could work out a deal with MTV and that could be most of the doc right there.

That would be quite great-I know the BAD tour one had me psyched like a crazy woman.

I am unsure that most were not aware of the History tour but, what you have described is the same with TII. Michael was lip-synching most of the songs and the movie was extremely successful.

Again, I must state there was no discussion about Estate/Sony projects including this suggestion of a History tour theatrical release as per the Sony leaked emails. There were emails about Michael lip-synching in TII. Sony monitored reaction to an article about Michael lip-synching and realized it was much ado about nothing.

TII was successful because it came out right after he died and people wanted to see what he was working on when he died. Lip synching or live was irrelevent.

I am unsure that most were not aware of the History tour but, what you have described is the same with TII. Michael was lip-synching most of the songs and the movie was extremely successful.

This Is It was a film made up of rehearsal footage - no one went in expecting to see Michael give his 110%, especially those of us who are familiar with his rehearsal process. (And as AtlasAir said, the public was anxious to see what he would have done.)

Lip-synching in rehearsals is totally fine. Lip-synching during a live performance is not.

This Is It was a film made up of rehearsal footage - no one went in expecting to see Michael give his 110%, especially those of us who are familiar with his rehearsal process. (And as AtlasAir said, the public was anxious to see what he would have done.)

Lip-synching in rehearsals is totally fine. Lip-synching during a live performance is not.

In addition, they did an extremely good job of covering up the lipsyncing. I didn't even realise he was lipsyncing for a large portion of it until 4-5 years after I first saw it and I still see fans/non-fans alike believe he's legit singing.

I think this thread answers the question. If approx only half of his hardcore fans would want it, what makes you think the general public would?

I think the fans are much more passionate in regards to live vocals than the public are...

Not many complaints at all, in fact.. i only found 3 mentions of playback before i got bored reading the comments

^ Something like that is mostly watched by just fans. He will not escape criticism when blatant lip syncing is shown on the big screen.

Not true.

It is true, i played 'Smooth Criminal' from the Munich show at my old college, and people were only interested in his dancing.. yeah, most of them weren't fans but still, Michael can impress with any portion of his genius

It is true, i played 'Smooth Criminal' from the Munich show at my old college, and people were only interested in his dancing.. yeah, most of them weren't fans but still, Michael can impress with any portion of his genius

That's just one personal experience. I could counter that with mine where people when watching a concert footage the first thing they look at is whether it's lip-synced or not. And also on YouTube in the comments under a concert footage the talking point is very often whether it's lip-synced or not. You can try to convince yourself it doesn't matter to people but I know that to be untrue. Like someone said earlier in this thread, when I take my friends to the cinema to watch an MJ concert I want to show him off, not have to make excuses for him. Compared to each and every other tour MJ ever did the HIStory tour is underwhelming. Even a lot of fans think so, so why would we want to put THIS controversial tour in the cinema? Why not something that is universally accepted as impressive? Michael deserves to be showcased at his best to the general public, like every other artist, not at his worst.

This coming from someone who continues to complain about the fact that "Love Never Felt So Good" was the lead single from XSCAPE and "Slave to the Rhythm"/"Chicago" was not.

And this coming from someone who continues to pretend to be some kind of insider with direct contact with unknown "engineers". You are a complete joke.

I would honestly (and controversially) consider it to be more damaging than the Cascio songs.

Hahaha. You are so deluded. Your hate towards some parts of Michael's work and career is affecting your mind.

That's just one personal experience. I could counter that with mine where people when watching a concert footage the first thing they look at is whether it's lip-synced or not. And also on YouTube in the comments under a concert footage the talking point is very often whether it's lip-synced or not. You can try to convince yourself it doesn't matter to people but I know that to be untrue. Like someone said earlier in this thread, when I take my friends to the cinema to watch an MJ concert I want to show him off, not have to make excuses for him. Compared to each and every other tour MJ ever did the HIStory tour is underwhelming. Even a lot of fans think so, so why would we want to put THIS controversial tour in the cinema? Why not something that is universally accepted as impressive? Michael deserves to be showcased at his best to the general public, like every other artist, not at his worst.

I also played some clips from THIS IS IT, people were shocked at his dancing! i didn't even play the sound

And anybody can put a tank and a rocket ship on stage.

No, they can't. That was the power of MJ. No one ever had that much money and power do to it. And never will. I'm not talking just about the tank and the rocket, but the full production, stage, costumes, special effects...

Maybe before they make the final decision, the Estate will poll the fans.

Why poll the fans? This poll here is completely ridiculous. 30 people voted and among those 23 who voted against there are few serious haters of that Tour and that part of MJ's career. This release will not be just for the fans. Millions of regular people will want to see this spectacle. Bad 25 was aimed for the fans. This release won't be like that. It will be massive, it will be worldwide and not aimed just for small group of hardcore fans. Not every release should be aimed just for us. Michael was always thinking big, worldwide and not small. I'm sure this will be great box office success and gross more than 200 MIL $.

Back