HIStory Tour Discussion - Should it be released? [Merged]

Should HIStory Tour be offically released?

• Yes, in cinema

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, in DVD

Votes: 44 62.0%
  • Yes, in DVD and cinema

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
Re: Should HIStory Tour be released to cinemas?

We can all accept lip syncing on certain numbers, eg Smooth Criminal/Jam. However, I as a fan cannot sit there in a cinema, and have non-MJ fans sit there and watch him lip sync to almost every song in a 2 hour live set. It doesn't do MJ any favours whatsoever.
That is how I feel too. There is just too much lip-syncing. Sadly they will most likely release it in cinemas 3D but hope they would rethink. If the release happens I wonder how wide cinema release they will give to it? I'm pretty sure it won't come here where I live.

To put it as politely and respectfully as possible...

In my eyes it will easily be the biggest mistake the Estate will ever make. And I won't waste my money on it.
In my opinion it doesn't come close to some of the other things they've done, with releasing the Cascio songs topping the list. But I also feel this is definitely not a good idea and it will harm rather than enhance Michael's image as a live performer and artist. I wish they'd just give this a small scale, fan-oriented release on Bluray and/or organize some screenings during fan events. I am sure many of us fans would really enjoy seeing it despite the drawbacks of the HIStory tour.

Last edited:

They can also release the 3D version on Blu-Ray. It doesn't need to have cinema release.

In my opinion it doesn't come close to some of the other things they've done, with releasing the Cascio songs topping the list. But I also feel this is definitely not a good idea and it will harm rather than enhance Michael's image as a live performer and artist. I wish they'd just give this a small scale, fan-oriented release on Bluray and/or organize some screenings during fan events. I am sure many of us fans would really enjoy seeing it despite the drawbacks of the HIStory tour.

I would honestly (and controversially) consider it to be more damaging than the Cascio songs.

Posthumously released music and posthumously released concert footage are two entirely different things. Both MICHAEL and XSCAPE are comprised of songs that Michael consciously opted not to release in his lifetime. Most of these songs were left incomplete both musically and vocally, and were completed entirely without his consent and guidance. Given his perfectionist standards, it should be expected that none of this material will measure up to anything released on Off the Wall or Thriller or any of the projects he realized firsthand.

This is not the same case whatsoever with concert footage. Michael oversaw every aspect of the HIStory Tour from the bottom up and was front and center every single night. The only thing he would not be involved with is the editing/production of the film itself.

To put it simply: if a posthumous song is below quality, it isn't much of a surprise considering Michael chose to never release it. If a posthumously released concert is below quality, that is much more damaging, as it is something he fully realized.

Personally, I am really sad and surprised that so many fans want to see this in theaters.
Michael is the greatest triple threat ever in my generation. He is finally being remembered as the greatest entertainer of all time, not the greatest dancer. And anybody can put a tank and a rocket ship on stage.

I want everybody to see Michael at his absolute best in the theatre. I don't have a problem with a good DVD (and showing it at fan events is a great idea) but the big screen is totally different.

Maybe before they make the final decision, the Estate will poll the fans.

NO, it shouldn't be in theaters (same answer I had in the 20 other Should HIStory Tour be in theaters threads).
It's an okay show at best, and shouldn't be THE show to put in theaters just because there's an HD copy of a show.
Put it on bluray/dvd if that's the case.

Actually I don't think this project is as set in stone that it will happen as some folks pretend here. Not if they have a little sense and are listening to what fans say.

I can just tell you all that your bitching about lip syncing is irrelevant. The HIStory Tour release will come. Don't know when, but it will most certainly come. In theatres. And in 3D. Various unofficial and official sources spoke about it. It's happening. I just beg all of you who are against it, DON'T RUIN IT FOR US WHO WANT TO ENJOY IT. Please. If you're against it, just don't buy the ticket and don't go to see it. There's no need to be over dramatic and start all kinds of petitions or rallies, boycott invitations, Sony and Estate bashing etc. Just sit back and pass on this one. There will be projects that some of you will be more interested in and I'm sure you wouldn't want someone, especially a fellow MJ fan, ruin it for you. I'm waiting for this release for quite some times now and I'm really excited about it.

We're not against HIStory tour being released to cinemas because we're these evil people who want to ruin it for other fans. We're against HIStory Tour being released to cinemas because we believe it doesn't represent Michael fairly as the greatest entertainer of all time

For a large scale release Michael should ALWAYS be shown at his best

Actually I don't think this project is as set in stone that it will happen as some folks pretend here. Not if they have a little sense and are listening to what fans say.

But if they are already making the 3D conversion(Branca said that they want to do it in 2012) I don't think they would cancel it. It costs a lot of money. If they release the Munich concert I hope they don't just release the same edit that is already out there. I hope they really take time and make a new edit.

But if they are already making the 3D conversion(Branca said that they want to do it in 2012) I don't think they would cancel it. It costs a lot of money. If they release the Munich concert I hope they don't just release the same edit that is already out there. I hope they really take time and make a new edit.

Who said they are already making the 3D conversion? This is all just fan speculation based on something Branca said to fans in 2012. It does not mean it's already in the making. I really hope they did not start to make it because IMO it's a waste of money. It's not gonna be successful commercially and it's not gonna be a positive project artistically. Maybe they should actually have a finger on the pulse of the fandom before they decide about big projects like this.

Who said they are already making the 3D conversion? This is all just fan speculation based on something Branca said to fans in 2012. It does not mean it's already in the making. I really hope they did not start to make it because IMO it's a waste of money. It's not gonna be successful commercially and it's not gonna be a positive project artistically. Maybe they should actually have a finger on the pulse of the fandom before they decide about big projects like this.

That is why I said if. There have been rumors about HIStory Tour release also so I'm worried that they are making it.

HIStory Tour is controversial within the fanbase. So if fans cant agree on it, can you imagine the kind of reaction it would get from critics and the general public?

And why release a tour where we would have to have a lot of explaining to do?

Apologies, I will not vote in the poll.

The idea the History tour was to have a theatrical release came from this post on FB:

''BOMB! |
Weeks after the hundreds of Sony Pictures leaks, hackers began to leak today information contained in e- mails and databases Sony Music ... including several of the label's future projects !!!

After reading those leaks, there was not one word about Estate/Sony's ten projects and/or what would be the remaining projects.

Allan Metzger, Michael's doctor during the History tour, testified Michael's issue was lack of sleep during the History tour. His issue was not discoid lupus which effected his skin, not his vocal cords and/or lungs.

The History tour aired several times outside of the U.S. without backlash and/or low ratings due to lip-synching.

That's different than making a big hoopla of putting it in theaters. Even for a limited run.
It's just not something they should shine a light on as THE show they decide to put in a theater.

Not too long ago, Beyonce was called out, and made fun of for lip syncing at one of her concerts. And Beyonce is a respected artist now a days. Can you imagine the kind of reaction that would happen if The King Of Pop himself is seen lip syncing?

Michael Jackson can actually dance in enjoyable fashion though. And tbqh, i imagine i'm the only one who has emailed the online team to request the BAD Tour 1988/89' on Blu-Ray many times over? they know we desire that tour in high resolution, as they do read our discussions.

Zakk;4081950 said:
Michael Jackson can actually dance in enjoyable fashion though.

So can Beyoncé. It doesn't matter if Michael is the better dancer because he will still be criticised nonetheless, especially for that cringey You Are Not Alone segment. Personally I wouldn't even bother going to see HIStory in concert tbh. It's not that I hate it, because I don't, it's just that we have far superior depictions of Michael's world famous talents and it's those depictions that should be released to cinemas.

When I see some comments from people saying things like ''It's all about the dancing'' and ''Live vocals don't matter'' really shows just how underrated Michael is as a vocalist. Even his own fans underrated him as a singer

When I see some comments from people saying things like ''It's all about the dancing'' and ''Live vocals don't matter'' really shows just how underrated Michael is as a vocalist. Even his own fans underrated him as a singer

There you go again, why write bullshit like this?

You know Zakk, I've kept my mouth shut for a really long time, but time after time I see you negatively post about how you don't like this or you want this or you don't like when someone says this. I don't know who raised you, but you legitimately have to be one of the most self-serving and rudest people I have ever come across (and especially on this forum.)

The poll should have one more option - No, choose another tour.

If the question is HIStory or nothing ever - then YES of course.

If the question is HIStory or another tour - then NO - release another tour. - A better Dangerours concert or BAD in HQ.

If it's HIStory Tour or nothing then I choose nothing

You know Zakk, I've kept my mouth shut for a really long time, but time after time I see you negatively post about how you don't like this or you want this or you don't like when someone says this. I don't know who raised you, but you legitimately have to be one of the most self-serving and rudest people I have ever come across (and especially on this forum.)

So when i see something like someone accusing fans of treating Michael like we underrate his vocal abilities, am i just meant to sit back?

Do I think you should sit back? No.
Do I think you should be respectful to people and use better manners? Yes.

Do I think you should sit back? No.
Do I think you should be respectful to people and use better manners? Yes.

You can't tell me how to act, if i want to speak my mind and stand up for myself then i will.

Won't somebody please think of the children!!!

Do you know where they are?

I told you last night no!

Mmm, I wonder where Bart is? His dinners getting all cold and eaten

Last edited:

No.Not a theatrical release for the HIStory Tour. Just release it on bluray via the official fan site. As much as I enjoyed being at the concert, it doesn't translate well onto the screen. The intro video has aged horribly, the rocket coming through the stage is way too slow & crawls from beneath the stage at the wrong angle, it should have come straight up through the stage & much much faster, & the lip-syncing is embarrassing. And also for every single reason others have mentioned. Bad 88/89 or Dangerous 92 for theaters. Mike at his physical best, his happiest & most dynamic, simple as. I want to show Mike off, not make excuses for him, & people are not fools, they'll know as plain as day that he's not singing.

Back