How do you handle someone bad-mouthing Michael in front of you?

When I was in year 7, we were discussing health insurance in Citizenship. Our teacher explained plastic surgeries: "If you need a facial reconstruction, for example, if you are burnt or have had an accident, the costs are covered. However, if you only need it for aesthetical reasons, you need to pay it yourself. So Michael Jackson cannot get it covered."

Firstly, it was disrespectful as Michael broke his nose and had to undergo a surgery, secondly, MJ was completely irrelevant cause he lived in the US and we were in the Czech Republic.

This was not bad-mouthing of MJ, but it still was inappropriate if I think about it now... When I broke to my father I became an MJ fan, he said: "That's great, it means you like Black boys, you are not going to be racist."

I know he didn't mean anything bad, but just because you listen to a specific artist, it doesn't mean you can't have prejudice, and I would also argue I don't like someone because of their race. On top of that, Michael wasn't a boy at that time, he was actually older than my dad lol.

^ I don't think your father meant any harm by that comment, I actually think it's kind of sweet :) You have to cut the old people some slack, lol.

Thanks for reassurance. I know that some people may twist these things and turn them into something like: "You don't like your own race, you listen to Black music and don't like Eminem nor Macklemore, you have a black person fetish, you act black" or whatever bs (luckily not my father!), so I just feel awkward when someone mentions this, even in a positive light. Well, I just should filter out mean people, I guess.

When I was in year 7, we were discussing health insurance in Citizenship. Our teacher explained plastic surgeries: "If you need a facial reconstruction, for example, if you are burnt or have had an accident, the costs are covered. However, if you only need it for aesthetical reasons, you need to pay it yourself. So Michael Jackson cannot get it covered."

Firstly, it was disrespectful as Michael broke his nose and had to undergo a surgery, secondly, MJ was completely irrelevant cause he lived in the US and we were in the Czech Republic.

I don't think that's entirely disrespectful. TBH Michael wasn't a bad example because everyone is aware of his plastic surgeries (and therefore a common subject everyone can identify with and compare to easily), and some of his plastic surgeries were for purely aesthetic reasons - notably the chin.

I know he broke his nose and needed surgery to fix it, but I don't see why they'd have to make it thinner simply because he broke it (not that I'm a doctor, but ya know). I think I recall reading somewhere he used this accident as a reason to go ahead and also make it thinner at the same time. Regardless, there was still the odd surgery he had (i.e. the shape of the nose he had during the Thriller era) that I'm pretty sure was just for aesthetic reasons.

If your teacher knew better, he might've been able to go slightly more in detail regarding him but in all honesty, Michael isn't too bad an example. Least I think so.

I don't think that's entirely disrespectful. TBH Michael wasn't a bad example because everyone is aware of his plastic surgeries (and therefore a common subject everyone can identify with and compare to easily), and some of his plastic surgeries were for purely aesthetic reasons - notably the chin.

I know he broke his nose and needed surgery to fix it, but I don't see why they'd have to make it thinner simply because he broke it (not that I'm a doctor, but ya know). I think I recall reading somewhere he used this accident as a reason to go ahead and also make it thinner at the same time. Regardless, there was still the odd surgery he had (i.e. the shape of the nose he had during the Thriller era) that I'm pretty sure was just for aesthetic reasons.

If your teacher knew better, he might've been able to go slightly more in detail regarding him but in all honesty, Michael isn't too bad an example. Least I think so.

The way she said it sounded like she thought MJ had had only surgeries for aesthetical purposes, which simply wasn't true. Besides, the US insurance system is different and I think an example involving someone living in the Czech Rep would've served better...

I usually don't say nothing since I'm quiet. But if people are actually talking to me I'll say something.
I was in class talking to this guy. I was wearing my MJ shirt, so we started talking about Michael Jackson. He said something about Michael Jackson bleaching his skin, and then I told him that Michael had vitiligo. He told me that was a lie -_-
I was just like...
2dltd0p.jpg
and told him him he shouldn't talk about things he doesn't know about.

I've rarely had to deal with it in real life since I left school; of course it's different online, especially whenever Michael starts trending; I do defend him.
In school, it was usually the idiots who would say the usual stuff, and I would think up comebacks, because you know that some people will just not listen to facts.
I remember one boy saying to me "Michael ****ed me last night," and I just looked him up and down and said,
"Please, his standards aren't that low." He left me alone after that :D

honestly for me it depends on what is said, where its said it, and who said it... it's hard to answer but at some breaking point I simply explain that if they took the time to research instead of make fun/talk crap you would think otherwise.. If they are stupid after that, leave it alone.. they're not interested on hearing the truth, they just getting kick out of it.. If they ask how so? let em know!

I rarely encounter people who talk about MJ here in my country. There were times though when I was younger (2003-2005), whenever someone say something bad about him, I don't confront them. Although I react aNd say my piece. If they are willing to listen I'd go on and say why their belief about him is wrong, otherwise I just keep my mouth shut. It's hard to argue with ignorant and closeminded people. It's tiring and since I easily cry when frustrated, speaking up would be difficult.

I avoid responding to negative comments online (just today he trended in local Twitter in my country, and no it's not in a good light). When I can't help but voice out though, I try to deliver it in a manner that is polite and decent. Not replying directly to anybody. Just voice it out there, ya'know.

Am I a coward?

I rarely encounter people who talk about MJ here in my country. There were times though when I was younger (2003-2005), whenever someone say something bad about him, I don't confront them. Although I react aNd say my piece. If they are willing to listen I'd go on and say why their belief about him is wrong, otherwise I just keep my mouth shut. It's hard to argue with ignorant and closeminded people. It's tiring and since I easily cry when frustrated, speaking up would be difficult.

I avoid responding to negative comments online (just today he trended in local Twitter in my country, and no it's not in a good light). When I can't help but voice out though, I try to deliver it in a manner that is polite and decent. Not replying directly to anybody. Just voice it out there, ya'know.

Am I a coward?
No. Most of the people that want to "argue" aren't worth it-same with online because most of them are trolls just trying to get a rise out of Michael fans. I do the same-if I see something pretty bad, I'll just write a concise, ultra-polite, mature comment and that's it-only because someone who doesn't know Michael or anything about what's being said, might be reading it.

I just walk away now. Some people just aren't worth arguing with, and getting angry with them is just too much wasted energy.

I don't say anything... I pop them in the FACE!!

jk

Am I a coward?

I think I just contradicted myself after I posted the one above.

Last night, I could not help it. A particular MJ documentary (The Last Hours? Heard of it?) kept on coming up on my newsfeed because FB friends tag their other FB friends to see the whole docu. I had not seen that docu before so I got curious and watched it. As always, it wasn't pretty for MjJ.

Most comments were just name tags, but there were a few who made an effort to post real comments. There was this one comment that really irked me. It became a heated exchange that did not involve MJ's name for the majority of the conversation, but that girl's attitude in general. I don't know what possessed me to act and give that person my attention, but I did engage with her. And I feel I stoop down very very low for doing that, again i feel like I contradicted what i said in my previous post. I can't believe such kind of people exists. If that happened in person I would have given up quickly. It really is advisable not to read the comment section of public posts, you'd see the stupidest thoughts out there.

It just started with the one below. And it all went down the hill. Saying respect is nothing. Even tagging others to gang up on me. Eventually feeling the victim and accusing me of stalking, calling me names etc. She eventually gave up though, got annoyed I ain't stopping responding. She can't find how to disable the notifications. Gee that's the last straw.

hPRpSF

Capturekkkk.png

I tried to counter some points in the docu. Unfortunately, the comment was buried under all those tags of other commenters, and will not be seen by the majority who easily believe whatever they see and hear. :( :( :(

Last edited:
For me it no longer bothers me. Since my MJ fandom is almost non existence now. All thanks to my depression, insomnia, and anxiety attacks that I have now. Which was all brought on by what that nameless fcking ahole did to him. I can remember back when I was in high school this is going back to the HIStory Era. I was the only MJ fan in a school full of haters. It wasn't until my last 2 years of high school. Was when I finally had enough of the MJ haters. Who all thought that Michael is some kind of a child molesting freak. And I literally became a vicious attack dog defending her owner's property. You literally did not want to mess with me when it came to Michael Jackson. If you did you will be facing the consequences. I almost put a girl in the hospital because she was making fun of him. I was in 12th grade when I did this. And luckily for me the senior kids in my high school could not be touch. For some reason or another they could pretty much get away with anything. It is one of the perks of going to one of the very best public high schools. You could ever want to go to where I live in the U.S. I don't know if it is still like that now. Even long after getting out of high school. I was still like that. I just could not help it. Since I did have such an extreme obsession for MJ. In fact I remember back when I was 24. Back in 2004 when those trials were going on with him. I took this picture of Sneddon and I did this Microsoft paint drawing of him. While blasting D.S. on repeat. The longer I played that song. Was the more angrier I was with him. And so I put him in a stripped prison uniform. Then I put prison bars in front of him. Then in big bold red lettering I typed 1000% Guilty. I still have that picture. And I still find it very funny. Well he did had it coming. Because at the time I was remembering the 93 allegations. And the huge fear of me starting 7th grade. And having to hide my MJ fandom from the other kids. If they knew that I was an MJ fan I might not be leaving that school alive. But now ever since what happen to Michael. It really no longer bothers me of what the MJ haters might say about him. I mean why bother anymore when the MJ haters are still going to hate him. No matter what truth or fact about Michael is shown to them.

Last edited:
^ or... Be unsophisticated. Start a fight. and knock em the F out.

I challenge them and ask them counter-questions. I show them facts. Often that will make them a bit thoughtful. So after that they mostly change their minds about him. Some become fans!

I don't let it bother me as it doesn't happen often at all. That being said..the last person I knew that believed the lies about Michael also didn't believe in the 1969 moon landing...the less said, the better!

I don't let it bother me as it doesn't happen often at all. That being said..the last person I knew that believed the lies about Michael also didn't believe in the 1969 moon landing...the less said, the better!

But.. 1969 is actually fake in my opinion ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But.. 1969 is actually fake in my opinion ?

Ofc that has nothing to do with that. Cause mj was innocent.

At first I'd just keep quiet and cry later on when I'm alone in my room. Then with time I decided I'd try educating them with the facts (still do) but I've also adopted a method of asking them to "prove" their false theories about Michael. They always get tongue-tied halfway through and end up realizing that they sound ridiculous i.e for those who admit to it.

They do it in order to get a rise out of you. If Mj was alive and would walk into that room with you and those same people, guess who would be the first up in his face trying to talk nice? THEM.

Well I think a lot of us come here to MJJC and b!tch about it.. thats what we do when someone bad mouths Mike! haha

It doesn't happen to me as often as it used to, but when it does I either ignore them or tell them exactly why they're wrong. If they continue, I just walk away. No point in arguing with the willfully ignorant. Besides, there are much better ways to spend your time, it's too precious to waste on them.

I used to get angry, now I try to stay composed although it's boiling inside me. Lol

The last time I got super annoyed was a couple years ago. This guy at work thought it was ridiculous I dont believe Michael was guilty.. it was all in his degrading approach to me as a fan. Like I was so blind etc. Its annoying cuz that's how i saw him but I knew better than to treat a person like that back.

I said if you want a real debate about it, bring it. I actually fallowed the case.

Someone else in the office heard my responce and said "please no" lol. They didnt want to hear us go at it. Haha

I'd listen to them and understand the facts on both sides. Who knows what Michael did? We only know what we've been told. I allow discussion.

Back