Joseph Fiennes To Play MJ In 9/11 Programme

Some of the articles are really nice, I must be in alternative reality then!

Why casting Joseph Fiennes as Michael Jackson is off the wall

It was one of the most memorable moments in the aftermath of Michael Jackson’s death in 2009. Dozens and dozens of African-American fans gathered in front of Harlem’s famous Apollo theater, singing Jackson’s hit songs and mimicking his iconic dance moves. It was an outpouring of grief, an appreciation of his artistry but also a warm embrace from a community of which he was always a part, but with whom the “King of Pop” enjoyed a complex relationship.

For decades, Jackson’s racial identification was called into question not just because of the evolution of his physical appearance, but also due to his shift towards a more mainstream pop sound. Nevertheless, Jackson frequently identified himself as a “proud” black American and attributed his dramatically lightened skin to the effects of the disease vitiligo (which was confirmed by his autopsy). When he died tragically at the age of 50, his well-documented personal problems went by the wayside for many black fans, and his incomparable pop culture footprint as a racial barrier breaking, transformational musical talent took hold as the predominant narrative of his legacy.

Which is why the news that white actor Joseph Fiennes has signed on to play Jackson in an upcoming British television film has struck many as tone deaf and tasteless, particularly in the aftermath of a national conversation about diversity in Hollywood sparked by the #OscarsSoWhite controversy. Jackson fans were apoplectic, and Slate culture writer Aisha Harris argues with good reason.

“It just to me comes down to the whole whitewashing thing. It doesn’t feel right to do that,” she told MSNBC on Thursday. “Part of the reason why they did it, is obviously people are going to be talking about it.”

Harris suspects that the casting of Fiennes may simply be a publicity stunt to draw attention to might what have otherwise been an overlooked TV movie. The production, entitled “Elizabeth, Michael & Marlon,” portrays an infamous (and since debunked) urban legend – the King of Pop, the method acting icon Marlon Brando and the late diva actress Elizabeth Taylor were supposedly stranded together after a concert Jackson held at Madison Square Garden prior to the terrorists attacks 9/11. Unable to travel back to California, due to the grounding of flights nationwide, they allegedly embarked on a cross country road trip together. But while white actors who bear a reasonable resemblance to an aging Taylor and Brando were cast to play them, the choice of Fiennes to play one of the most recognizable black figures in history feels like a leap to say the least.

“I’m a white, middle-class guy from London. I’m as shocked as you may be,” Fiennes said in a recent interview with “Entertainment Tonight.” [Jacks] definitely had an issue – a pigmentation issue – and that’s something I do believe,” he added. ”So he was probably closer to my color than his original color.” Fiennes said in defense of the film’s tone: “It’s a light comedy look. It’s not in any way malicious. It’s actually endearing.”

While Harris concedes that “no matter who plays him, they are going to have to be seriously made up to look like him,” that doesn’t mean black actors should be ruled out. “By the end of his life he looked very different, but he was still the same person,” she said.

“At the end of the day Michael Joseph Jackson was a black man. Yes, his appearance, specifically his skin color changed drastically over time, but by no means does that make him any less of a black man,” added BET Associate Editor Taj Rani in statement to MSNBC on Thursday. “The fact that a white actor, Joseph Fiennes, was considered and then chosen to play Jackson is baffling. Also, the fact that Joseph Fiennes is comfortable enough to play an iconic black man says a lot about his frame of mind and lack of respect for the community and the legacy of the late music legend.”

The Fiennes film will likely stand in stark contrast to a new Michael Jackson documentary set to debut in early February, directed by Spike Lee. “Michael Jackson’s Journey From Motown to Off the Wall,” his second film about Jackson’s evolution as an artist and the making of one of his most celebrated albums, puts an emphasis on his artistry instead of his controversial personal life.

“So many people focus on the other stuff. We wanted to focus on the music. People might say that’s a cop-out. I don’t care,” Lee recently told Billboard. He has repeatedly said he wants to make a third film on Jackson, focusing on his masterpiece “Thriller,” which would be the most celluloid this celebrated black filmmaker has devoted to one topic other than Hurricane Katrina.

Why are so many African-Americans protective of Jackson’s brand? “He really is the only black artist I can think of who crossed over in the way that he did and reached out to every corner of the world,” said Harris. She believes black people wanted to reclaim him in part because they wanted to a measure of the credit for helping introduce him to the public. Still, she says every fan, regardless of race, has a “complicated” relationship with Michael Jackson.

Whether the upcoming “Elizabeth, Michael & Marlon” makes a splash or not, it will likely do little diminish the man behind the biggest selling album of all time, and who remains the top earning deceased artist. But his impact expands beyond dollars and cents. “Since his death in 2009, it seems that as consumers we want to just examine his posthumous album sales rather the complex man,” Slant deputy editor Kyle Harvey told MSNBC on Thursday.

“Vitiligo and surgery aside, black people come in all colors. For a studio to green light this speaks volume of how they view Michael Jackson. He’s a caricature or a cartoon than can easily be reproduced for monetary gain. It’s a slap in the face to one of black America’s biggest and brightest stars,” he added. ”Before the surgery and the ‘***** *****’ commentary, his legacy as a musician was only rivaled for his love for people globally.”

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/why-casting-joseph-fiennes-michael-jackson-the-wall

the color of the skin has absolutely nothing to do with it. Michael was still black, no matter if his skin was yellow, green or any other color. and who cares about what that guy believes? facts are not a question about whether you believe them or not. facts are facts. and that's a FACT

Yes, I'm pretty sure they could have found a light skinned black man to play him. And no, it does not have to look as ridiculous as Flex Alexander in that horrible Man in the Mirror movie, you can create lot better makeup. And if you cannot then I would not have any problems with the actor being a couple of shades darker than MJ actually was. It's not like Joseph Fiennes is the spitting image of Michael, so he won't look exactly like Michael either, white skin or not.

But like I said, the fact they cast a white man to play MJ is probably a part of the "joke, because apparently some still think it's funny after about the millionth "MJ wanted to be white" joke.

edit: just saw someone posted the tweet, I'll keep this aswell just so people see it.
edit 2: I hope they mean all of this is fake. Not just the story, which we already know is fake.

Also been posted on Official Marlon Brando Facebook page:

Capture.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marlonbrandoestate/posts/821342887971650

Last edited:
White actor cast as Michael Jackson in an upcoming movie.

"There's been a lot of talk about biopics based upon the King of Pop's life, and indeed it's a heavy weight to shoulder when you consider the gravity of depicting Michael Jackson in a way that will both honor him and satisfy the fans who idolize him. The world for the most part has finally chilled TF out about his alleged cosmetic surgery and concentrated more on what makes him a legend - his music. That being said, there's gonna be an interesting movie that really has nothing to do with his upbringing or his rise to stardom, but instead focuses on a fictional event post-9/11.

Come again?

That's right - there's a movie coming out about MJ takin' a road trip with BFF Elizabeth Taylor and another silver screen legend, Marlon Brando, titled Elizabeth, Michael & Marlon that is slated to premiere later this year. The alleged account of Michael Jackson taking a road trip with his actor pals post-9/11 comes from a former employee of Jackson's who claims that the King of Pop asked both actors to see him perform in New York City but were forced to rent a car in order to drive back to California after the terrorist attacks.

What's even more interesting is that actor Joseph Fiennes has been cast as The King of Pop alongside Stockard Channing as Elizabeth Taylor and Brian Cox as Marlon Brando. The film is described by Fiennes as a comedy, and given his background (Shakespeare In Love, American Horror Story: Asylum, Hercules) it should be interesting to see how his portrayal of the beloved singer will be received by the entertainment industry and the audiences who watch it."

REALLY? Joseph Fiennes? The real problem isn't that he's white but more that he don't look alike Michael.
What's your thoughts on this ?

Re: White actor cast as Michael Jackson in an upcoming movie.

delete. reply from a duplicate thread that was merged here

Last edited:
Some white people were talking about boycotting the new Star Wars movie because a lead was black. I guess they forgot about Billy Dee Williams.

And Samuel L. Jackson in the prequels among others. I don't think that was a genuine campaign for the most part, I think I recall seeing posts on 4chan that showed them starting it for the shits'n'giggles, then it grew out of hand as everyone thought it was genuine (though I don't doubt the odd one or two people were against it. Everyone I know hasnt the slightest problem with Finn's race and I've barely seen any comments from people who hate his colour).

^^Are you talking about blackface? Because that existed before films. It came from vaudeville and some black performers also did that and sang "coon songs" too, which were popular in the early recording industry

It's not the only example of white actors playing people performing people from other ethnicities but a famaous example it comes to mind of a white man wearing dark brown makeup is Laurence Olivier performing Othello in 1965.

othello-film-characters-photo-u3.jpg

Mike, Liz and Marlon are real, so are the horrible events of September 11, 2001. Nothing about this proposed bullshit "comedy" is funny. As for those that think Mike would be ok with a white actor portraying him, go refresh your memory with his interview with Oprah.

Michael was nobody's fool and I have no doubt he would have known exactly where they were going with this and why. I also don't think he would have thought a comedy surrounding 911 would have be funny. He was a deeply sensitive man and I think would have really struggled to try to find the humour it. There is a difference in black or white not mattering in human relationships and respecting a person for who they are irregardless of colour ,and having a white actor play him just because he was depigmented at that point. At any rate, they'll probably happy with all the attention its getting as now more people will tune in than would have before.

It's the nose. Michael had his nose shaped like Peter Pan, with the upturn tip on his nose, that you see in Michael's profile.

Applehead-michael-jackson-26257801-348-604.jpg

peter_pan_nose.png

That may also be why a white fellow was chosen to portray Michael in this upcoming movie.

It's the nose. Michael had his nose shaped like Peter Pan, with the upturn tip on his nose, that you see in Michael's profile.

Applehead-michael-jackson-26257801-348-604.jpg

peter_pan_nose.png

That may also be why a white fellow was chosen to portray Michael in this upcoming movie.
:blink: wtf kind of moronic crap is that??? what's the nose got to do with anything? why do you even mention this, that's completely irrelevant? there's more to the face than just the nose, so why only mention that, and nothing else? this guy looks NOTHING like Michael, ANYWHERE on his face! I don't think he's supposed to, since it's a "comedy" mocking him. so it's completely stupid to even bring it up. and your comment about that's why a white guy was chosen to play Michael, is so incredibly ignorant and idiotic. it has already been discussed, up, down, left, right. and you write this BS which has absolutely nothing to do with anything?? seriously??? :doh:

Mike, Liz and Marlon are real, so are the horrible events of September 11, 2001. Nothing about this proposed bullshit "comedy" is funny. As for those that think Mike would be ok with a white actor portraying him, go refresh your memory with his interview with Oprah.

Michael would be INDEED horrified at Joseph Fiennes playing him in a stupid comedy that will more likely mock/humiliate him.

"That is so stupid, that's the most ridiculous, horrifying story I've ever heard. It's crazy."

"Number one, it's my face as a child in the commercial, me when I was little. Why would I want a white child to play me? I'm a black American. I'm proud to be a black American. I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. That's like you wanting an oriental person to play you as a child. Does that make sense?"

Re: Joseph Fiennes is to play Michael Jackson...

All I ever heard about MJ in connection to 9/11, was that he had a business meeting in one of the towers that morning. Instead, he stayed up the night before, speaking on the phone with his mother Katherine. As a result, he slept in, and learned of the attacks with everyone else.
Just think how ironic it was for that concert to be a day before 9/11. I bet that concert was alot of ppls last night alive & the last night of thier life was at his 30th anniversary. Smh no one there would never expect the events to happen in the next couple of hours. Smh

This is so bad i don't even wanna read anymore of this thread. My head is banging now (gave me a terrible headache)

Michael would be INDEED horrified at Joseph Fiennes playing him in a stupid comedy that will more likely mock/humiliate him.

"That is so stupid, that's the most ridiculous, horrifying story I've ever heard. It's crazy."

"Number one, it's my face as a child in the commercial, me when I was little. Why would I want a white child to play me? I'm a black American. I'm proud to be a black American. I am proud of my race. I am proud of who I am. That's like you wanting an oriental person to play you as a child. Does that make sense?"

Yes, Michael was right to be horrified because WHY would he ask or want white kid to play him... He was proud of his race!!!

That rumour was very disrespectful, indeed.

Ahaha yes. Formatting wise, this is more like a novel than I thought it would be!! (I thought it'd be like an article sorta thing). I'll read it shortly... I'm watching Bucharest '92 right now :p

Sorry, I didn't meant to disturb you, keep watching:D

Sorry, I didn't meant to disturb you, keep watching:D

This might surprise you but this is actually the first time I've ever watched the concert from start to finish HAHA. I almost never watch concerts but I've obviously watched bits and pieces of this one time and time again. In saying that, I ended up filming the ending where "he" jetpacks off the stage onto my Snapchat story just so everyone can marvel at THE greatest end to a concert EVER! :D

This might surprise you but this is actually the first time I've ever watched the concert from start to finish HAHA. I almost never watch concerts but I've obviously watched bits and pieces of this one time and time again. In saying that, I ended up filming the ending where "he" jetpacks off the stage onto my Snapchat story just so everyone can marvel at THE greatest end to a concert EVER! :D

:clapping:

I have never watched Earth song full in one go because I cannot watch the brutal honesty of it.

At a time when race is in the spotlight in Hollywood, I'd like to know what all those who were appalled at the Oscar nominees think about a white man portraying a very popular and important black man. Wonder how many of them are in on the jokes that I'm seeing on twitter? Of all races.

Hollywood maybe racist, but it's because sh1t like this happens and the lay man thinks its OK.

Yes, Michael was right to be horrified because WHY would he ask or want white kid to play him... He was proud of his race!!!

That rumour was very disrespectful, indeed.
I ran across that original story about a year ago because I hadn't heard the rumour at the time of the interview and didn't know what they were talking about. An Australian paper wrote it was Wade who played young Michael on the set. Of course there were pictures released of the real kid and he was black and not Wade.
Orlando jones and Angela Bassett put some much needed levity into this.

At a time when race is in the spotlight in Hollywood, I'd like to know what all those who were appalled at the Oscar nominees think about a white man portraying a very popular and important black man. Wonder how many of them are in on the jokes that I'm seeing on twitter? Of all races.

Hollywood maybe racist, but it's because sh1t like this happens and the lay man thinks its OK.

The lay man thinking it okay...and people with media exposure thinking it okay.

Oprah's pal Gayle King, an African American, and who is a host on a national morning show here in the states voiced her opinion as to whether or not she was offended . She said she wasn't offended by Fiennes being in the role because MJ's skin and features had become white. But what she wanted to know was if Fiennes could dance.

I shouldn't have been shocked by her lack of sensitivity and insight, but I was because despite her apparently rarified world now, no way has she not felt the sting of racism in her life to make such a comment which basically says it's okay to ignore MJ's ethnicity.

I myself don't even think the people making this decision are coming from an intentionally bad place, but from an ill informed and unrelatable place. MJ was a black man. It would be wonderful if his ethnicity did not matter in his career and life. But it did, and for it to be blatantly ignored is just wrong. For Gayle King to not know that it is wrong is actually sad and even sadder, because she has a forum that fosters the kind of mentality that it is "okay". It is not okay.

Everyone's weighing in on this now. So my two cents are, actors of any colour should be able to play people of any colour. I don't care either way. This has been unfortunately timed as everyone's walking on eggshells a bit with what's going on with the Academy of Motion Pictures. I understand it could be seen as offensive to those who think black people are under-represented or whatever - absolutely I do. But for me, personally, I would like to live in a world where black and white are given equal opportunity to win a role.

And the other thing, a lot of news outlets are running with this story that Michael said in 1993 that he 'NEVER' wanted a white person to play him in anything. My interpretation of what Michael said to Oprah was merely that he hadn't specifically asked/demanded that a white child be cast to play him in that Pepsi commerical. He went on to assert his heritage of course, but that seems to me that Michael has picked up on the subtext of 'are you ashamed to be black?'.

Apologies if you guys have already been over this in the thread but I wanted to register my perspective since the issue seems to becoming bigger in the general media.

About "seeing no color". That's a nice theory but in real life that would end up with white people playing everything. White roles, black roles, everything. That's the experience. See all the Hollywood movies of ancient Egypt where there is a people who are of somewhat ambigious ethnicity - they were not really either black or white, at least not by today's standards. So in such Hollywood movies they only cast white people. They could as well cast black people but they never do. Except for MJ in Remember The Time, which I am sure was intentional and sending out a message.

Also, it's all about money. When the Sony e-mails leaked there were e-mails among them discussing how movies with black leads do not sell overseas. So there you have it why black people are so underrepresented, especially in movies that would give them Oscar nominations. (Except for movies that are very directly about racial issues - eg. slavery.)

Nice if we say let's just not see any color, but people of color still have a lot less opportunites in all areas of life and white people are still privileged in many ways. Alone this above mentioned fact in the Sony e-mails make that clear.

So for that reason alone I do not support white people playing black celebrities under any circumstances. It is wrong on way too many levels. It also kind of reminds me of the racist blackface tradition (regardless of the fact that Fiennes will not have to put on an actual black mask in this case).

Last edited:
Back