Joseph Fiennes To Play MJ In 9/11 Programme

innuendo141;4131455 said:
At a time when race is in the spotlight in Hollywood, I'd like to know what all those who were appalled at the Oscar nominees think about a white man portraying a very popular and important black man. Wonder how many of them are in on the jokes that I'm seeing on twitter? Of all races.

Hollywood maybe racist, but it's because sh1t like this happens and the lay man thinks its OK.
I thought this was a British production, so that isn't Hollywood.

I don't think Hollywood is racist by itself though. Their goal is to make money and so put out what the mainstream audience will watch. Mainstream is code for white people. That's why a R&B music act has to "crossover" to the Top 40. They're crossing over from the mainly black R&B audience to the white pop audience where there is more money and media attention. In the 1990s there was the so-called Latin explosion, which was Latino performers being noticed by mainstream USA. Many of them were already popular with the Latino audience and sold a lot of records there like Selena, Juan Luis Guerra, Vicente Fernández, & Luis Miguel. With movies and TV shows, few with a majority non-white cast get mainstream popularity. They're labeled "black movies" or Mexican movies. But a white movie/TV show is not labeled as "white movies" because white is the default. This is why there's channels like Telemundo,
TV Japan, & BET and magazines like Ebony and Latina. Even popular black actors like Eddie Murphy, Denzel Washington, Will Smith, etc. tend to be in movies that otherwise are mostly white people or they're a sidekick with a white actor like Lethal Weapon, Miami Vice, 48 Hours, Men In Black, and so on.

Re: Hollywood

I thought this was a British production, so that isn't Hollywood.

I was referring to Hollywood regarding the Oscars. Regardless of whether or not this is a British movie I'm seeing comments from all over the world.

This is not cool at all and hope he is going to have it from fans:mat:

Trevor Noah drags Joseph Fiennes for playing Michael Jackson

White people are driving Trevor Noah to the brink of insanity this week.

In particular, the white people behind the controversial British made-for-TV comedy Elizabeth, Michael & Marlon, which stars Joseph Fiennes as Michael Jackson.

Noah aired his greviences on Thursday's Daily Show, and he's not just upset that a white actor is playing the King of Pop; it's that he's a totally random white actor.

"At least if it was Meryl Streep, we'd be like, 'Yeah I mean, but she's dope.' But Joseph Fiennes? The guy who played Shakespeare? That's like the whitest guy in history!"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...-fiennes-michael-jackson-daily-show/79511036/

So to him it is ok that white woman plays Michael, and seemingly he has heard that stupid joke about MJ.

^^Obviously. He's no better. Neither is Gayle King. Or the woman who wrote this story in the first place. She's black.

Important comment about money. I read this when the oscar ruckus started. Harry potter did well because girls will see movies and read books when boys are the lead but not vice versa.
Black and white People go in droves to see movies where a white person is the lead and but it's rarely vice versa.
Movies, music etc. are businesses. It's got to be changed.

Great article.

[h=1]Joseph Fiennes as Michael Jackson shows race problems before Oscars row[/h] Casting of white actor to play the black icon in a ‘post-9/11 road trip’ tale shows us Hollywood has learned nothing from the #OscarsSoWhite controversy

On Tuesday, when the bizarre news broke that white British actor Joseph Fiennes was cast to play black American superstar Michael Jackson in a “9/11 road trip comedy”, it seemed as if Hollywood had learned nothing from the #OscarsSoWhite uproar which has arisen in the wake of the Motion Picture Academy nominating only white actors for Oscars this year.

The internet has been ablaze questioning the wisdom of Fiennes going forth to play the King of Pop in Elizabeth, Michael and Marlon, the tale of an alleged road trip taken by Jackson, Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando after the attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001. But according to the British production cable channel Sky Arts, the casting is a done deal, as the half-hour comedy was shot last year. Though a story surfaced this week quoting Fiennes as if he just received the script “the other day”, the project is already in post-production.

The show “will be coming to Sky Arts in 2016, the exact transmission date is still to be confirmed”, Dominic Collett, a publicist for Sky Arts, confirmed.
“This is a one-off, half-hour comedy for Sky Arts,” she wrote, describing it as “a light-hearted look at a reportedly true event” in “part of a series of comedies about unlikely stories from arts and cultural history.”
<aside class="element element-rich-link element-rich-link--tag element--thumbnail element-rich-link--upgraded" data-component="rich-link-tag" data-link-name="rich-link-tag">

</aside>It&#8217;s hard to ascertain for sure, but the road trip is such an unlikely story that the truthfulness of the &#8220;reportedly true event&#8221; has been debunked by at least one of Taylor&#8217;s assistants in Vanity Fair.

Regardless, one would be allowed to question why the makers chose to cast the white star of Shakespeare in Love as Michael Jackson. Asked about the thinking behind this, Collett wrote: &#8220;Sky Arts gives producers the creative freedom to cast roles as they wish, within the diversity framework which we have set.&#8221;
But &#8220;diversity&#8221;, a word Selma director Ava DuVernay wants people to stop using, is a blanket term. It&#8217;s easier to talk about than &#8220;racism&#8221;, &#8220;structural racism&#8221; or &#8220;anti-blackness&#8221;. Having a white actor play such an important African American legend remains problematic.

Blackface is still blackface even when portraying a light-skinned African American.

Though he could be read cosmetically as racially ambiguous at the end of his life, Michael Jackson was black. He was born black to Joe and Katherine Jackson in Gary, Indiana (which is now 85% black). He had four black brothers in the Jackson Five. And he was so Motown, he made Diana Ross the godmother of his son. Can a white actor capture this blackness?

&#8220;For just about anybody born in black America after 1958 &#8211; and this includes kids I&#8217;m hearing about who are as young as nine years old right now &#8211; Michael came to own a good chunk of our best childhood and adolescent memories,&#8221; Greg Tate wrote in the Village Voice in 2009 just days after Jackson died. A white actor can&#8217;t possibly capture the impact he had on so many of us black kids back then, and can&#8217;t have lived a life that would help him understand how Jackson performed race as he did.

2810.jpg

And whatever he looked like in the end, Jackson got there as a man who was so black, whose blackness was such a part of him, he made They Don&#8217;t Care About Us &#8211; a video which Jackson sings about being &#8220;the victim of police brutality&#8221; who feels he has become &#8220;invisible because you ignore me&#8221;.

&#8220;The absolute irony of all the jokes and speculation about Michael trying to turn into a European woman,&#8221; Tate wrote, &#8220;is that after James Brown, his music (and his dancing) represent the epitome &#8211; one of the mightiest peaks &#8211; of what we call Black Music.&#8221;

In 2014, when only white people were cast to play Egyptians in the film Exodus, the defense I most often heard is that acting is acting and actors can play anyone. But black actors have struggled for work and recognition long before #OscarsSoWhite was trending on Twitter.

Fiennes got to play Michael Jackson just as white British actor Charlie Hunnam is getting to scoop Chicano actors in playing Mexican American drug lord Edgar Valdez Villarreal, and just as Emma Stone got to beat all Asian and Hawaiian actors to play Allison Ng in Cameron Crowe&#8217;s Aloha. Even fictional stormtroopers and witches not even written as white are controversial for actors of color. Meanwhile, white actors can put on black or brown or yellow face for a tidy profit.

Fortunately, Fiennes&#8217; performance will not likely get much appreciation as when it comes to racially passing. White people imbued with white privilege &#8211; who seem to be trying to be black only when being black seems advantageous &#8211; are likely to receive very little generosity from the public.

Remember the backlash Rachel Dolezal received? The white woman who had sued Howard University for discrimination as a white woman, but who later assumed a black identity who got a job with the NAACP? She was the living example of performing blackness without the history of living in black skin, and having to deal with the consequences of living in that skin whether the skin feels advantageous at any give moment.

The whole world was having none of it and, Dolezal faced a worldwide backlash for using race to her advantage. If and when Elizabeth, Michael and Marlon actually makes it to our screens, I predict Fiennes will face heavy criticisms &#8211; and rightly so. Ultimately, there is little doubt in my mind that his performance will be found as inauthentic as Dolezal&#8217;s.

• This piece was amended on 28 January to emphasise that the comedy starring Fiennes is a half-hour TV show, not a feature film.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-michael-jackson-race-problems-oscarssowhite

The fact that people are saying that Michael should be played by a white man because he had vitiligo is something I really disagree with. Michael Jackson should be played by a black man. Vitiligo or no vitiligo

I love the way they mocked the stupidity of the casting of Mike and the movie! Of course it'll never happen. It's ok to disrespect and misrepresent black icons, not white ones. No one can crow about not being racially insensitive "like the US" anymore. This isn't a Hollywood production.

UK, take the L (loss) for this bullshit!

Last edited:
The fact that people are saying that Michael should be played by a white man because he had vitiligo is something I really disagree with. Michael Jackson should be played by a black man. Vitiligo or no vitiligo

I agree.

First of all I would like to express my feelings on this...This HAS to be a joke.

Second yes Michael should be played by a black actor if ever anyone was to do a film about Michael.

I swear people have lost their minds :yes:

Regardless, one would be allowed to question why the makers chose to cast the white star of Shakespeare in Love as Michael Jackson. Asked about the thinking behind this, Collett wrote: “Sky Arts gives producers the creative freedom to cast roles as they wish, within the diversity framework which we have set.”
Try and parse that gobbledygook.

Given that Michael had vitiligo, pale skin wasn't a look that he cultivated and doesn't represent anything about his thought process or identity. Yet, the thing apparently uppermost in the casting director's mind was to match Michael's skin color in 2001. That argues that either the casting director couldn't wrap his head around anything but skin color, or there is a series of jokes in the script about skin color that wouldn't work unless he cast a pale-skinned actor. Either way -- ugh.

LOL. Angela Bassett and Orlando Jones make jokes about them playing Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton:

Angela Bassett &#10004; @ImAngelaBassett BRILLIANT! Ordered my violet contacts & bathed in White Diamonds this morning, so I'm READY! Let's do this! xo! Ang https://twitter.com/TheOrlandoJones/status/692155486318280704 &#8230;

Mabel Jane ?@africalove16 27. Jan.
@princemjjjaxon are you going to like the new movie if you're father is for 9/11

Prince Jackson@princemjjjaxon 28. Jan. 2016

@africalove16 no it is an appalling idea to my family and I

respect77;4131666 said:
LOL. Angela Bassett and Orlando Jones make jokes about them playing Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton:

Angela Bassett &#10004; @ImAngelaBassett BRILLIANT! Ordered my violet contacts & bathed in White Diamonds this morning, so I'm READY! Let's do this! xo! Ang https://twitter.com/TheOrlandoJones/status/692155486318280704 &#8230;

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaaaaaaaa, I LOVE THIS!!! The sarcasm is delicious! Let's not stop there; somebody call up Oprah Winfrey to play Queen Elizabeth II and see if Morgan Freeman would be interested in playing Winston Churchill... :hysterical:

Edit These guys could play The Beatles in a newly "imagined" comedy surrounding the group's break up! Hey, at least they can sing, unlike Joseph Fiennes...

Boyz%202%20Men%20Cooley%20High_zpsh6jmftup.jpg

Last edited:
Chris Brown ?@chrisbrown 30. Jan.

Y'all know y'all dead wrong to have dude play MJ. If that's the case LET ME BE SUPERMAN. Da **** they do that at? Is that blackface?

Omer Bhatti ?@RealOBee

THIS ROADTRIP MOVIE IS STRAIGHT BS!! THE SO-CALLED ROADTRIP NEVER EVEN TOOK PLACE. I CONFIRM THAT!

They been casting whites to portray great blacks, like when they have whites playing royal Egyptians in movies... MJ made me aware of that.

He didnt like that. But remembr how he had an all black cast in Remenber The Time? I think he was one of the first to do that. Made it right

Now theyre doing that other BS to him.. trying to change up history. We are not ok with that!

On top of it, just making a comedy about 3 people who are no longer here to speak up for themselves is kinda disrespectful. so many wrongs!!

About "seeing no color". That's a nice theory but in real life that would end up with white people playing everything. White roles, black roles, everything. That's the experience. See all the Hollywood movies of ancient Egypt where there is a people who are of somewhat ambigious ethnicity - they were not really either black or white, at least not by today's standards. So in such Hollywood movies they only cast white people. They could as well cast black people but they never do. Except for MJ in Remember The Time, which I am sure was intentional and sending out a message.

Also, it's all about money. When the Sony e-mails leaked there were e-mails among them discussing how movies with black leads do not sell overseas. So there you have it why black people are so underrepresented, especially in movies that would give them Oscar nominations. (Except for movies that are very directly about racial issues - eg. slavery.)

Nice if we say let's just not see any color, but people of color still have a lot less opportunites in all areas of life and white people are still privileged in many ways. Alone this above mentioned fact in the Sony e-mails make that clear.

So for that reason alone I do not support white people playing black celebrities under any circumstances. It is wrong on way too many levels. It also kind of reminds me of the racist blackface tradition (regardless of the fact that Fiennes will not have to put on an actual black mask in this case).

I don't know if that was aimed at me, I think you could well be right in what you say but I wanted to be clear that I want to see black and white actors have equal opportunities to win roles.

My concern is more the content of the film over the race of the actor.. The fact his race is such a controversy has brought way more attention to this short film.. I am more concerned on them showing Michael in a positive light.. That's what I care about more over the race..

Now the film has to be good, where as before the controversy I did not put too much thought into it

:lol: I can't help but laugh at Orlando's jokes and the stupidity of the people who thought it was a good idea and came up with the concept.

Race is a man-made construct to separate us, to make others superior and inferior. Like I said before, there is no such thing as race; there are different tribes but not different races. We are all humans, a same specie so, whoever is racist is a bigoted idiot.

What outrages me is that whoever cast Fiennes came from a purposely ignorant position/place. I don't intend to offend Michael in any way but he was closer to look like an albino than a white man, he barely produced pigment on his skin. Vitiligo didn't change his DNA, neither his ethnicity, it unfortunately made him A BLACK MAN void of color.

12647172_952220914866172_1084106395421939560_n.jpg

This article appeared in the New York Post today by the infamous Stacy Brown-and for a change he wrote a nice story about what Michael REALLY did after 9-11. And it's very kind and generous and caring.
Of course, he can't help but use the name "Jxxxo" but that's him. Because of that I'll post a story from ANOTHER paper that copied from his story. I took the liberty of editing out that name and replacing it with Jackson here.

[h=1]Forget the urban legend, here&#8217;s what Michael Jackson really did after 9/11[/h]
In Entertainment by Maggie Serota / February 1, 2016

TWEET

EMAIL

STUMBLE

michael-jackson-9-11.jpg

<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-follow-button twitter-follow-button-rendered" title="Twitter Follow Button" src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.baa54ded21a982344c4ced326592f3de.en.html#dnt=false&id=twitter-widget-0&lang=en&screen_name=maggieserota&show_count=false&show_screen_name=true&size=m&time=1454389765281" data-screen-name="maggieserota" style="box-sizing: border-box; border-style: none; border-width: initial; margin: auto; position: static; visibility: visible; width: 142px; height: 20px;"></iframe>
If a 2011 Vanity Fair article is to be believed, then Michael Jackson went on the world&#8217;s most surreal road trip with Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando to escape New York City after the 9/11 attacks. The trip is already the basis for a British TV movie, &#8220;Elizabeth, Michael & Marlon,&#8221; which features thecontroversial casting choice of Joseph Fiennes as the late pop singer.
However, according to Jackson biographer, journalist, and family friend Stacy Brown, it never happened. &#8220;I know, because I helped Jackson&#8217;s family return to California after the 9/11 *terror attacks,&#8221; Brown wrote in NY Post.
According to Brown, Taylor and Brando attended Jackson&#8217;s September 10 Madison Square Garden concert. Taylor reportedly left her hotel on September 11 to go be with Debbie Reynolds. Brando remained holed up in his Plaza hotel suite.
From the NY Post:
I was friends with Jermaine, and since I was a longtime Queens resident, he asked for my help getting out of the city.
I helped them book two RVs &#8212; each fit 18 passengers and were driven by their security guards.
But Jackson was not with them. He had moved into the Trump International and sent his spokesman, Bob Jones, to check on Brando.
&#8220;Brando doesn&#8217;t want to talk to anybody. He said he&#8217;s not going to come out of his room until the world ends,&#8221; Jones said.
Brown claimed that Jackson left New York on his tour bus with his children, a few friends, and some security guards in tow, not with Taylor and Brando.
Although Jackson made it to his friend&#8217;s New Jersey residence without incident, Brown claimed that he couldn&#8217;t stop worrying about the crowds of fans that camped out in front of the Plaza Hotel during Jackson&#8217;s stay.
&#8220;I&#8217;ve got to make sure they&#8217;re OK,&#8221; Jackson reportedly told Brown in a phone call. &#8220;What would they think if I&#8217;m safe and they&#8217;re left hanging out there with nowhere to go? They came from England, they came from France and they came from Japan. How are they getting along?&#8221;
According to Brown, Jackson sent his tour bus back into the city to offer rides out of the city to any stranded fans. Jackson then reportedly paid for the accommodations of &#8220;nearly three dozen fans&#8221; to stay in New Jersey. The pop singer apparently picked up the tab for food and trips to the movies as well.
When Jones tried to leverage this bit of good will into some much-needed good PR and alert the press, Jackson reportedly shut him down.
&#8220;We should get that in the newspapers,&#8221; Jones told Jackson.
&#8220;No,&#8221; the singer protested. &#8220;The people in those buildings [the World Trade Center], the paramedics, firefighters, the police, the mayor. They should be in the newspapers.&#8221;
This version sounds a lot better than the storied Taylor/Brando road trip.
[NY Post | Photo: Getty Images]

&#8203;http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/279060/michael-jackson-fans-9-11/

We really don't need any posts from Stacy rotten Brown to confirm something because we already know what went on.
I so wish SB name would be blocked ever mentioned here:puke:

This is the one thing i dont understand: why hasnt the jackson family kicked stacy brown out of their lives if he is a "family friend" of theirs???!!!

That guy is a scumbag!

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaaaaaaaa, I LOVE THIS!!! The sarcasm is delicious! Let's not stop there; somebody call up Oprah Winfrey to play Queen Elizabeth II and see if Morgan Freeman would be QUOTE]

You know it wouldnt surprise me if oprah did do that as we all know how she likes to be centre of attention!

barbee0715;4132188 said:
This article appeared in the New York Post today by the infamous Stacy Brown-and for a change he wrote a nice story about what Michael REALLY did after 9-11. And it's very kind and generous and caring.

I don't think we need Stacy Brown to "confirm" what is common knowledge by now. He can suck my socks with his fake "kind", "generous" and "caring" words. The odd "nice" article by him won't do away what he did to MJ throughout the years. Screw him. I agree with Bubs here.

And a lie is a lie, no matter if it's "nice" or not.

&#8220;I&#8217;ve got to make sure they&#8217;re OK,&#8221; Jackson reportedly told Brown in a phone call. &#8220;What would they think if I&#8217;m safe and they&#8217;re left hanging out there with nowhere to go? They came from England, they came from France and they came from Japan. How are they getting along?&#8221;

LOL, yeah right, Michael called Stacy Brown. Okay. Apparently, even in a "nice" article Stacy Brown just cannot stop lying and making up stuff. That's just his nature, after all.

Last edited:
parisjackson my king. ??

instagram.com/p/BBPLdAdpr6V/?taken-by=parisjackson

This is the one thing i dont understand: why hasnt the jackson family kicked stacy brown out of their lives if he is a "family friend" of theirs???!!!

That guy is a scumbag!
I agree he is scum and we don't need to read this to confirm anything. We all know what happened after 9-11 and this story/movie is fantasy.
That was the whole reason I posted someone else's story rather than his. And edited it. The part I kept had some interesting detail.

What I did find interesting in the original story is that for the first time, the New York Post described SB as a free lance journalist that HAD a personal relationship with the Jackson family.

Had. Past tense.

Last edited:
I honestly don't see how they could possibly make Fiennes look like MJ... To be fair it'd be pretty much impossible to find someone with facial features similar to MJ's in his later days.

<header style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; margin: 0px; font-family: 'League Gothic', sans-serif, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-size: 17px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">Another article about the casting-I read yesterday that they actually already shot this little mini-movie last summer-so it is a done deal.

Actor Joseph Fiennes Says Outrage Is Good When It Comes to Michael Jackson Movie

Of course. If outrage now means controversy.
yesha2.jpg.CROP.hd-xsmall.jpg
BY: YESHA CALLAHAN

Posted: Feb. 17 2016 7:38 AM

</header>
czmbsqxusaanyrg.jpg.crop.rtstoryvarlarge.jpg.CROP.rtstoryvar-large.jpg.crop.rtstoryvarlarge.jpg
Joseph Fiennes; Michael Jackson TWITTER

Joseph Fiennes, the white British actor set to play Michael Jackson in a new movie, is still defending his role in the upcoming British comedy about a fictional road trip Jackson takes during 9/11 with Elizabeth Taylor and Marlon Brando.

"I think outrage is good, as long as it doesn't get into a violent shouting match," Fiennes told the Hollywood Reporter. "These conversations are really important and they shape our industry. It's vital to have them. I kind of welcome it. You can't do this and not welcome it."

Fiennes also thinks that the colorblind casting used in the movie opens a broader conversation.

<aside class="see-also" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent; margin: 0px 0px 4px 10px; width: 335px; float: right;">SEE ALSO

</aside>"It's important because all actors bring something fresh and new. We're looking for imagination and interpretation, and it doesn't steal anything away from the true identity of that person. It might offer something new and fresh and funny; as long as it doesn't become disenfranchising, racial or rude or stereotypical," he said.

With all of the controversy over the lack of diversity in casting, Fiennes also believes that if minority actors were offered the same types of roles as white actors, then no one would be making a big deal about him being cast as Jackson.

"The thing is, the playing field is not fair right now, and that's absolutely evident," Fiennes stated. "This is quite right, why people are up in arms. I'm a full believer in making the playing field fair. When it is fair, we can have a conversation about this project and it wouldn't cause outrage."

It&#8217;s amazing how someone can justify this absurdity. And yes, he once again declared that at the time the movie takes place, Jackson was actually closer to his color.

<section class="about-the-author multi" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent;">For more of black Twitter, check out The Chatterati on The Root and follow The Chatterati onTwitter.
Yesha Callahan is editor of The Grapevine and a staff writer at The Root. Follow her on Twitter.
Like The Root on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.

</section><form id="inline_video_newsletter" class="video-inline-signup" style="-webkit-tap-highlight-color: transparent;"></form>

http://www.theroot.com/blogs/the_gr...is_good_when_it_comes_to_michael_jackson.html

well this guys fame just sky rocketed... Why wasn't this a big deal though a while ago when the news first broke? I feel like it disappeared than came back and blew up... maybe the Oscars controversy helped re-launch the drama?

Back