Michael Jackson Auction in 2009 [Official auction trailer on Post #160]

I may be wrong, I often am, but I really don't think that the 2,000 items up for auction, constitute Michael's entire legacy.

Clearly 2,000 items are not all of Michael's personal belongings and collection.
They don't entirely define his legacy.
But you're not understand the SYMBOLISM and MEANING of what this means to dismantle Neverland and sell so many of these unique and precious items that belong ONLY to Michael and Neverland.
JUST selling the GATES OF NEVERLAND ALONE is like...incomprehensible.
It's not for any other one person to own.
I'm really shocked at Michael that he has chosen this way.
Maybe he doesn't realize just how extremely special we all agreed Neverland really was.
It really was a world unto itself and it's really now become a lost treasure spread around the world...I'm not trying to be dramatic but I'm considering generations from now when no one knows what has become of the Neverland Gate or any of the precious items because I don't believe that the people who have the money to purchase them are necessarily going to regard them in the way they should be like true fans would. I really feel that it belongs in a museum as one collection...or preserved in a place in a way that Graceland was (although Neverland is so much more than Graceland I hate to make that comparison).

And while I'm venting (haha!) I can't believe the GRAMMY's MUSEUM put on the plaque in Michael's exhibit "SELF-APPOINTED King Of Pop"....GOD GET IT RIGHT IDIOTS! HAVE SOME RESPECT. It's a museum for freak sake...you would think they would be above that. ugh.

Last edited:
They Mickey...

mickeynland.jpg

mickeymouse.jpg

Wow nice spotted!!

That's a nice statue!

Good find!
thx :D
actually i was just watching now on youtube this video and saw the poster in the back...and i checked the catalogue if it has any of those posters, but i could not find that one but the Mickey:yes:

Please. You are getting yourself carried away here. I don't think Michael Jackson would start an auction of his personal items just for the hell of it. And he's not selling everything! And you gotta look at the big picture here. These things are just earthly possessions.

I believe that Michael knows how he wants to be remembered. And I don't think that means by being remembered through a piece of property. I don't think he want's to end up like a whole "Elvis is to Graceland as Michael Jackson is to Neverland" thing. He knows what he's doing, now let him do his thing and try and support his decision.

NO I am not getting carried away by anything. The fanbase is getting carried away by this auction which is very sad for those of us who KNOW what's going on here. This is not Michael parting with his past, HE IS PARTING with his legacy!!! He is SHUTTING DOWN Michael Jackson (not just Neverland). Of course this is not his entire legacy (there are different facets to his legacy -- this is a major part of it).

This auction is a sign. Something is wrong with this entire picture. We're watching a legacy under erasure. We're witnessing the CREMATION of an era and of an artist.

Just think for a minute: The piecemeal sale of everything is INTENTIONAL. He didn't open Neverland up to the public, he didn't auction it off as whole, he didn't re-establish it as a refuge or a museum. He has decided to tear it down and sell it in pieces to ANYBODY. THIS IS UNLIKE MJ. Something has changed in his heart/thinking/ideals. He is essentially flushing his legacy.

If this WERE NOT the case, why not leave everything at Neverland and open it up to the public? Wouldn't it make more sense to create residual income and give the proceeds to charity? NOPE -- NOT if your intention is to ERASE the legacy and scatter it to the wind. You would dismantle it and sell it piecemeal (rather than whole). You would give 2 sh*ts about who is going to own it.

This isn't a man getting ready to start over. This is a man shutting IT down. PERMANENTLY.

the rest is meaningless to him.

By selling all this stuff he doesn't mean they are all meaningless. If they were meaningless he would throw them away. But there are so much more meaningful things in his life. There's always been. This all has been just searching for something but it's still part of his life. It lives in a memory and it should be so. Michael doesn't want to be remembered from anything else but his own art and that's mainly music and short films. That's something you don't necessarily have to collect materially but just listen and enjoy it. If you like it, it goes with you anywhere you go. These statues and collectable items don't.

Already in the song "Childhood" he sings: "It's been my fate to compensate for the childhood..." That means it hasn't been his mission but just a fate. And it says "been". It sounds like he himself was already back then trying to get rid of it and hasn't been planning to live like that forever. In the end it was like living in a prison. Now he's freeing himself from that. I think if there had been trials or not, sooner or later this "auction" would have happened.

From Geek.com - http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...uction-full-of-arcade-game-hardware-20090223/

Julien’s Michael Jackson auction full of arcade game hardware

by Matthew Humphries posted on February 23, 2009 9:02 am

jackson_auction-440x399.png

An upcoming auction being run by Julien’s Auctions on April 24th is called, “The Collection of the King of Pop Michael Jackson”. The sub title is “Amusements, Arcade Games & Entertainment”.
if (!window.netshel_ord) { netshel_ord=Math.random()*10000000000000000; } if (!window.netshel_tile) { netshel_tile=1; } document.write(''); netshel_tile++;

separate_300x250_15.jpg

What I wasn’t expecting when I started going through the pages of the online auction catalog was 60 pages of classic and very rare gaming hardware. Jackson is well-known for buying a lot of extravagant and expensive items and this auction goes to show it extended to gaming too.
Included in the list are the arcade games (with cabinets) for:

• Crazy Taxi
  • Darkstalkers
  • Ms. Pacman/Galaga table
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Sega R-360
  • Alpine Racer 2
  • Sega Strike Force
  • X-Men 6-player cabinet
  • Marvel vs. Capcom
  • Neo Geo MVS
  • Star Wars Racer
  • Dig Dug
  • Donkey Kong
  • Terminator 2
  • Sega Manx Super Bike
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Dance Dance Revolution
That’s just a small selection and is complimented by a bunch of pinball machines and demo pods for the N64, 3DO, PlayStation, Virtual Boy, SNES, combined Genesis & Game Gear unit, and Dreamcast.
Being an auction rather than a straight sale the prices quoted are pretty conservative, but as word of this gets out the collectors will be there in force to pick up some of the classics and I’m sure the prices will escalate.

From: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/...uction-full-of-arcade-game-hardware-20090223/

Julien’s Michael Jackson auction full of arcade game hardware

by Matthew Humphries posted on February 23, 2009 9:02 am

jackson_auction-440x399.png

An upcoming auction being run by Julien’s Auctions on April 24th is called, “The Collection of the King of Pop Michael Jackson”. The sub title is “Amusements, Arcade Games & Entertainment”.
if (!window.netshel_ord) { netshel_ord=Math.random()*10000000000000000; } if (!window.netshel_tile) { netshel_tile=1; } document.write(''); netshel_tile++;

separate_300x250_15.jpg

What I wasn’t expecting when I started going through the pages of the online auction catalog was 60 pages of classic and very rare gaming hardware. Jackson is well-known for buying a lot of extravagant and expensive items and this auction goes to show it extended to gaming too.
Included in the list are the arcade games (with cabinets) for:

• Crazy Taxi
  • Darkstalkers
  • Ms. Pacman/Galaga table
  • Super Street Fighter II
  • Sega R-360
  • Alpine Racer 2
  • Sega Strike Force
  • X-Men 6-player cabinet
  • Marvel vs. Capcom
  • Neo Geo MVS
  • Star Wars Racer
  • Dig Dug
  • Donkey Kong
  • Terminator 2
  • Sega Manx Super Bike
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Dance Dance Revolution
That’s just a small selection and is complimented by a bunch of pinball machines and demo pods for the N64, 3DO, PlayStation, Virtual Boy, SNES, combined Genesis & Game Gear unit, and Dreamcast.
Being an auction rather than a straight sale the prices quoted are pretty conservative, but as word of this gets out the collectors will be there in force to pick up some of the classics and I’m sure the prices will escalate.

I may be wrong, I often am, but I really don't think that the 2,000 items up for auction, constitute Michael's entire legacy.

It's a comment that Julien has repeated many times that I often reflect upon, that being, as per Julien: "Michael just has too much stuff to keep up with."

I agree. And I believe it's a combination of things. Maybe it's that he has too much stuff to keep up with as well as getting rid of some items that may have bad memories attached to it....as well as stuff he doesn't use or has never used, etc...

Clearly 2,000 items are not all of Michael's personal belongings and collection.
They don't entirely define his legacy.
But you're not understand the SYMBOLISM and MEANING of what this means to dismantle Neverland and sell so many of these unique and precious items that belong ONLY to Michael and Neverland.
JUST selling the GATES OF NEVERLAND ALONE is like...incomprehensible.
It's not for any other one person to own.
I'm really shocked at Michael that he has chosen this way.
Maybe he doesn't realize just how extremely special we all agreed Neverland really was.
It really was a world unto itself and it's really now become a lost treasure spread around the world...I'm not trying to be dramatic but I'm considering generations from now when no one knows what has become of the Neverland Gate or any of the precious items because I don't believe that the people who have the money to purchase them are necessarily going to regard them in the way they should be like true fans would. I really feel that it belongs in a museum as one collection...or preserved in a place in a way that Graceland was (although Neverland is so much more than Graceland I hate to make that comparison).

I completely agree with this post, however for all that was special about Neverland, it was Michael's. It belonged to him. Fans may have enjoyed the place and appreciated it, but he's the one that dreamed it, designed it and ultimately worked to bring it to life. If pulling the plug on it is what he's decided to do it can't be harder for us as it had to be for him. At least that's my opinion as I don't know what he really feels, of course. :flowers: As some people like to say (country people lol) he put his "big boy britches on" in deciding to close that chapter of his life to start a new one. Some may say well, considering what happened, it should have been a no-brainer and easy for him to do. But as we can see, it took 3 years for it to happen. Maybe if he had cut ties with the property right after he left, it would have been easier for some fans to digest becuz everyone was still angry about what had happened? I dunno. I think the idea that he still has a stake in the property is slightly telling. When he said he'd always have Neverland, in a way he still does...just not as much as he did before considering he doesn't own it 100% now and it looks nothing like we knew Neverland to be.

Overall, it's one less thing he has to worry about now. No more losing Neverland stories for the press. No more PETA up his butt about animals. No more liens against a property and it's contents by greedy people who would love to profit off the fact that MJ lived there. In a way, some small teeny way, there has to be a sense of relief for him. Tough decisions are hard to make but once you've done it and made some kind of peace with it and it's in motion, a sense of relief does take ahold. He's free. Free to even create another Neverland somewhere if he ever wants to (hears all the Nevy haters and naysayers moaning and groaning in the background). He's free to rebuild or recreate something new and special, if not more special, if that's his goal. Sometimes the only way to reach for something better is to let go of what you already have in your hand. It sucks but "sometimes" it's unavoidable and worth it down the line.

As for the 2,000 items not defining his legacy, I agree with that as well. As IvoryKeys stated, he doesn't seem to be selling EVERYTHING. And with all the stuff MJ was known to have, I'll take a wild guess and say he probably still has 2,000 more items that he could put in a museum or something someday. There's gloves in this auction I've never seen. Who knew he had that many or gloves in those colors? I see a glove with spikes or pointy things coming out of it. :lol: And there's quite a few things I've yet to see at all (paintings, statues, etc..) that were very much a part of the place. Of course, there's 2 more catalogs that aren't up yet, but I think the one containing the items from MJ's personal collection and career will be the most interesting one. So far, I see a lot of items that are rare and collector worthy...one-of-a-kind things. And I suspect that's the reason for a few personal items from his friends going up in the auction. I don't believe Mac only did one painting for MJ in all the time they knew each other. And for all the years he's known Elizabeth Taylor, I'm guessing they've given each other more than one gift. So parting with some of that seems to be a way to generate collector interest more than anything else...at least to me.

It's his decision and we have to respect it. There is no Neverland anymore but there is a new strong decisive and happy Michael. That's all that matters!
I would hope that he's happy. :flowers:

Martin Nolan talks about the auction
http://www.rte.ie/news/news1pm/

Thanks for posting. :) Sooooo they ripped up the train tracks but the trains are not for sale? Sweet!

Last edited:
NO I am not getting carried away by anything. The fanbase is getting carried away by this auction which is very sad for those of us who KNOW what's going on here. This is not Michael parting with his past, HE IS PARTING with his legacy!!! He is SHUTTING DOWN Michael Jackson (not just Neverland). Of course this is not his entire legacy (there are different facets to his legacy -- this is a major part of it).

This auction is a sign. Something is wrong with this entire picture. We're watching a legacy under erasure. We're witnessing the CREMATION of an era and of an artist.

Just think for a minute: The piecemeal sale of everything is INTENTIONAL. He didn't open Neverland up to the public, he didn't auction it off as whole, he didn't re-establish it as a refuge or a museum. He has decided to tear it down and sell it in pieces to ANYBODY. THIS IS UNLIKE MJ. Something has changed in his heart/thinking/ideals. He is essentially flushing his legacy.

If this WERE NOT the case, why not leave everything at Neverland and open it up to the public? Wouldn't it make more sense to create residual income and give the proceeds to charity? NOPE -- NOT if your intention is to ERASE the legacy and scatter it to the wind. You would dismantle it and sell it piecemeal (rather than whole). You would give 2 sh*ts about who is going to own it.

This isn't a man getting ready to start over. This is a man shutting IT down. PERMANENTLY.

Look, I (and I think many fans here) am trying to look at this situation like a glass is half full instead of half empty. I have to think of the positives coming out of this. It's not in my nature to think negatively on such things. I completely understand where you are getting at with Neverland being turned into a museum. It would have been a fantastic idea and we all would have loved it. But obviously Michael did not want that. You seem to think it's because he wants to erase his legacy, am I correct? I tend to think of it as him wanting to start fresh, or somewhat fresh. In the end, one can't erase the past.

Yes, a big legacy is dying right now, but at least try to think positive and see how some sort of good is coming out of this. There will be good. I do not believe Michael is lost or dead inside.

And if after all that, you still feel bad, I suggest you find 1 million dollars (or more), get yourself an auction spot, and go to town on buying all his items. Seems like you know what you want to do with them more than he does.

I pray you and other fans don't depress yourself too much over this matter. It can be very draining.

I agree with IvoryKeys, we as fans should be happy that MJ decided to share his items with us. If I were as famous at Michael I would want to share my collection with my fans while I am alive so that I may see or hear about how much joy they got when receiving an item or two. Many stars have there stuff auctioned off long after they are gone and can't get to witness the happiness of their fans.
Just be thankful his stuff is not being sold off like some of the celebrities that owed the IRS millions ex: Willie Nelson, Redd Foxx, and Sammy Davis Jr.. They didn't have a say so as to whether or not they should sell their stuff. Uncle Sam came to their house and forced them to sell off some of their stuff inorder to pay off their back taxes.
Many of us come on this site yearly,monthly,daily, hell or even hourly and we have all watched videos or seen pictures of Michael shopping. He is a shopaholic and seems to buy stuff by the bulk. The stuff he is auctioning off seems to have a put in a few years at Neverland, and since MJ hasn't been back to Neverland since the trial there was no need to let it sit and collect dust and mold. I know when I was little and I attended the Victory and Bad tours I use to tell my parents that I wish I could have something of Michael's and not just a copy of his glove, hat, shoes, or socks. Well by George now is my chance to purchase something and if that's not possible at least I have the option to attend the viewing of his stuff or purchase the box set. Yes we all know how much MJ loves Disney especially Peter Pan but last time I checked they still produce Disney stuff everyday. Maybe he bought some new Disney stuff. I am sure most of that stuff was bought before he became a father, so now he has to make room for kids stuff. I don't have any kids but I am sure the parents on here can tell us about how much stuff kids collect over the years.
I want to believe that he is making room for future tour outfits in his closet. Damn I want that rhinestone covered hat from the 1981 Triumph tour, who do I have to promise my first born too in order to get it?? lol

Please respect Michael's decision and don't make things dramatic. He wants some things off of him so as to start anew. The future is ahead of him and all the years of pain and frustration are over. He is a father with 3 beautiful children first and foremost and then an artist. Many things have changed.

Last edited:
I am sorry for being slightly off topic now...thanks for those HIStyle photos (a couple of pages earlier) would anyone by any chance know of there are...hm..any GPs on display?:wub: or only jackets?..

He has Super Mario Bros - that's the best game in the world!

dunno if posted cant be bothered trawling through pages

Thanks to TSCM:

Thanks to virginia_woolf, here's a brief audio interview with Martin Nolan who describes the auction with a few interesting tidbits including:

- The train tracks were removed and sold as scrap material but Michael is keeping the trains, one of which is named Katherine after his mother. He's also keeping his Thriller jacket, as was mentioned elsewhere.

- The amusement rides have already been sold privately.

- Michael never returned to the ranch since he was acquitted, but when Juliens Auctions arrived to sort through things he still had staff working there to maintain it; it took 90 days to get the auction items out.

- Confirmed that the ranch has reverted back to Sycamore Estates, but that Michael Jackson remains co-owner of the property.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0225/news1pm_a...497568,null,209

--------------------

Thanks for posting that elusive.

I really like they way Julien and Company have handled this auction thus far. They appear to be very professional and have taken a lot of time and effort to make sure everything is being presented properly. Although it is work for them, they appear to be enjoying the entire "MJ experience."

I also like the Sycamore Estates confirmation. MJ continues to turn lemons into lemonade. Right On!

^ thx for that article elusive. nice to read that about Katherine train.:)
and..
He's also keeping his Thriller jacket, as was mentioned elsewhere.

YAY, he wants to scare us one more time?lol

There is absolutely NOTHING positive in giving up Neverland and dismantling it before our very eyes.

You might as well dismantle the remaining Pyramids of Giza for all I care. Hell, take down the Taj Mahal and sell it on FLEABAY. Might as well. I'm sure the marble can be used for something more useful.

eiffel tower??? Who needs it?

understand why he doesn't want to live at Neverland anymore but I believe it was heartbreaking for him and although he is moving on it doesn't mean it was (or even still is) easy for him to be selling his things...I don't think any of them are meaningless to him

I should have read this again and fixed it. "Although he is moving on, it doesn't mean that what is happening right now is easy for him. To assume his things are meaningless is wrong. That's how it should have read.

That's what I should have wrote. No one is saying Michael said it, or anyone affliated with Michael, especially a spokesperson. I read it on the forum. That's what made me reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's confirmed he still co-owns the place, meaning he did this to benefit business for his former home.

Yeah it could seem like it.

Hope they make Neverland a museum - I'd love to see it.

I don't understand why anyone would want Neverland made in to a museum or some crap like Graceland. To me, that seems like the perfect way to minimize and undermine not only Michael's legacy, but it shows a lack of respect, in my view, to him as a person and to his obviously private nature. Just because Pricilla and Lisa Marie pimp Elvis' name and make a chunk of change from his house doesn't mean Michael should allow what once was his sanctuary, his only real place of refuge from the outside world, to be turned in to a money making machine. That's obviously not what Michael wants. He doesn't want what once was his home turned in to a side-show circus for people to rumage through and gawk at. He just wants to step away from it all and start something new. Neverland was violated in the worst possible way. And since Michael looked upon Neverland as a physical manifestation of what was in his heart, it was a violation of him as well. Why would he want to continue to be attatched to that? Why would he want to have to deal with the upkeep of turning it in to a museum when every time he looks at Neverland or thinks about it, it probably hurts? People who can't accept or don't understand why he's let it go obviously don't understand what was done to him at Neverland and what kind of agony that put him through. They don't understand how he suffered. It's not Neverland to Michael anymore. It's a piece of property where he was taken advantage of, where his privacy was ripped from him in the worst way imaginable, where he was practically made a prisoner at because there was no place else he could go during the trial, where he was humiliated and degraded, etc... The ranch no longer hold's the same meaning to Michael not because his heart has changed, but because the outside world wouldn't allow him to bring his ideals in to it, so they destroyed it, took it away from him, and turned it from a place where he could feel safe and be himself in to a place where he felt scared and hunted. Why would he want to be reminded of that? If you want him to continue to suffer with the memory of what was done to him, then you'll want him to hold on to the ranch. It's a sad, sad testiment to how cruel the world is that Neverland was destroyed for Michael. It shows how shitty it really is that something so beautiful as Neverland and what it represented wasn't allowed to exsist here. But you can't expect him to hold on to something when it hurts.

Well I just can't understand wanting him to do something like turn it in to a museum or telling him that certain items should be precious to him. One can't help the way they feel. If Michael doesn't feel that way about these things, if they no longer hold any meaning to him, or if they never did, then that's how he feels and there's nothing that can be or should be changed about that.

Back