Michael Jackson - The Duet Album 2013?

I also wish the Estate/Sony would clamp down on Teddy publicly discussing potential projects such as this because he really isn't doing them any favors from a PR standpoint. Several weeks ago, he appeared on a conservative BBC morning program wearing a fur coat, dark shades and a beanie to "promote" the album. During the interview, he explained how he used pieces of different tracks to complete the songs in addition to working on the vocals to get them to "fit" the music. Not good at all.....

I would love to hear a 'duet' between Michael and my second favourite artist, Sean Paul.

I also wish the Estate/Sony would clamp down on Teddy publicly discussing potential projects such as this because he really isn't doing them any favors from a PR standpoint. Several weeks ago, he appeared on a conservative BBC morning program wearing a fur coat, dark shades and a beanie to "promote" the album. During the interview, he explained how he used pieces of different tracks to complete the songs in addition to working on the vocals to get them to "fit" the music. Not good at all.....

That's better than telling a girl on Twitter that he wants to be her pimp, I guess.

My honest opinion: The Estate, Teddy Riley, or whoever it is that decide which artists that are going to participate on the album, REALLY REALLY should try to do all they can to convince PRINCE to do a duet with MJ. It never happened when MJ was alive, although it could have been as we all know.

BUT, Prince would never do it unless he got to be in control of the track. So my suggestion is: Give one of these "one verse and chorus" songs to Prince and just see what magic the man can do with it. Then Prince with produce that song and provide his own vocals to fill out the missing MJ parts. THAT would be magical but they would have to give the prince his artistic freedom with it. Then I actually think he could be willing to do it. (hopefully)

My honest opinion: The Estate, Teddy Riley, or whoever it is that decide which artists that are going to participate on the album, REALLY REALLY should try to do all they can to convince PRINCE to do a duet with MJ. It never happened when MJ was alive, although it could have been as we all know.

Prince would never do it because he has too much respect for Michael Jackson.

The only way I would support a duets album is if the artists were people that Michael was working with, or had planned to work with. I've had more than my fill of controversy, so another one with talentless hacks would be horrendous! It'd probably be the one MJ album I wouldn't buy.

Agreed. :agree:

The only way I would support a duets album is if the artists were people that Michael was working with, or had planned to work with. I've had more than my fill of controversy, so another one with talentless hacks would be horrendous! It'd probably be the one MJ album I wouldn't buy.

I've had my fill of controversy. Another round of bad judgement will be terrible.

samhabib;3209511 said:

- Disagree. I think he WOULD do it if he was asked and got to be in control of the track, as I said. And he really SHOULD do it, too, cos´it would be fantastic!!! But I doubt it will happen, though!

I think we can all agree that, despite our opinions on the new album and certain tracks, the controversy surrounding it has damaged it to varying degrees, depending on the person. What we don't need is another controversial album with controversial choices made, like a duets album with people that were never in the studio with Michael.

Mr. Norway;3209547 said:
- Disagree. I think he WOULD do it if he was asked and got to be in control of the track, as I said. And he really SHOULD do it, too, cos´it would be fantastic!!! But I doubt it will happen, though!

I think his respect for Michael would take precedence over whether or not he had control of the track.

That's better than telling a girl on Twitter that he wants to be her pimp, I guess.

LOL :lol: , True! Hey...maybe Teddy Riley attacking fans on twitter was part of Sony's promotion "plan"? :p

I also think that they should just leave some songs as just unfinished demos...I'd much rather hear a big collection of raw material- I mean hearing Michael working out a song on a demo is what makes everything so precious and charming.

I suppose, a duet album can only work when greats are singing with greats. Today's music industry doesn't really have those sort of talents anymore... What a duet album will do is maybe expose Michael's music to the fans of the other artists of today.

I remember Ray Charles having a post-humous duets album and the singers recorded after he passed I think...Don't know how that turned out though.

Last edited:
Y'know... This is parallel to The Notorious B.I.G.'s posthumous career, they released "Duets: The Final Chapter" as Biggie's final album. Maybe they'll save something like this for the final album

... It's pretty scary thinking that there's a final album, a finite number of songs left... A finite number of ideas...

You know, all this unfinished work business makes me crazy.
We all know Michael has ALOT of finished songs in his vault (look at the ones that leaked etc). If there's 1 thing I want in a new MJ album it would be his songs that didn't make the cut on other albums.

And yes, I'm absolutely against the idea of a duet album.
Only a few would be pretty good but they would make sense.
I wouldn't mind seeing Prince and Lionel Richie on a song with MJ.

If this happens, it has to be done tastefully and the people in charge of it have to be people who only have Michael's best interests at heart. Perhaps Darkchild and 3T.

I don't think that a duets album is the way to go right now. Maybe 20 years from now. But not in just a year or two after the last project. I would much rather have another album of unreleased songs where the only alterations are from digital remastering.

Last edited:
Prince would never accept that: as you guys know, he always had a musical divergence with Michael (he even wrote a song for MJ, which wasn't released and maybe not even recorded), Prince is far from the mainstream media (and doesn't seem to miss it!) and the major reason is that, as stated before, Prince does respect Michael Jackson!

And you guys talking about a Lady Gaga duet... ha, and I thought that this "Michael" album was the biggest outrage against his legacy they could have done! How naive I am!

Unfortunately, I can see that as soon as that final album arrives, they'll start repackaging the old ones. As with demos, a duets album is the final way to release his extremely unfinished songs. I personally hope they release a live album in the coming years after that final album hits, that's the only way they can make money off of "new" material, per se.

I don't want to see or hear any of it if any of these projects go underway without the love, respect, and dignity Michael AND his legacy deserves. And, so far, I've seen none of that.

I don't want to see or hear any of it if any of these projects go underway without the love, respect, and dignity Michael AND his legacy deserves. And, so far, I've seen none of that.

I agree completely.. -_-

In all fairness, Michael's posthumous career has had at least one good thing come out of it for us ("This Is It") "Vision" can be a mixed bag, depending on your opinion about the quality, and I think that everyone can enjoy 7 tracks out of the new album, especially "Behind the Mask".

I sincerely hope Teddy Riley was wrong about this so-called duets album.

Who the hell do these people think they are to be tampering and butchering with MJ's work and getting him to duet with people who he never would've worked with if he was alive??

It makes me so angry. Just put out the finished songs and the unfinished songs can go on a rarities boxset. Stop trying to manipulate Michael into being something he isn't. Why not just exhume his dead body and get him to do one last photoshoot as well? Geez, is this shit ever going to end?

I really think Michael would've been embarassed and ashamed of the way John McClain and John Branca have handled things this far.

In all fairness, Michael's posthumous career has had at least one good thing come out of it for us ("This Is It") "Vision" can be a mixed bag, depending on your opinion about the quality, and I think that everyone can enjoy 7 tracks out of the new album, especially "Behind the Mask".

Vision is a complete joke - the only thing good about it is the fact that it's all compiled in one box.......The quality is TERRIBLE....those black bars, a flash of green in ITC, WYBT is cut off in the beginning...etc, etc...It was VERY cheaply put together...No love there...And, for me, BTM, Best of Joy, and Much Too Soon are incredible gems, but released in a way that doesn't respect Michael Jackson and his legacy....

Off topic, sorry..

Are they kidding??

They better release one album with proper tracks like escape or DYKWYCA than a duets album.

And they should not overproduce anymore.

Hmm... You're right about "Vision", I'd pretty much only get it out if I have a day with nothing to do and watch all the films in order. Plus I'll agree that they could've definitely handled "Michael" better. I'm personally hoping for an EP of some kind with 4-5 songs including "Slave To the Rhythm"... If Darkchild would tweak it more rather than some other producer, that is.

I sincerely hope Teddy Riley was wrong about this so-called duets album.

Who the hell do these people think they are to be tampering and butchering with MJ's work and getting him to duet with people who he never would've worked with if he was alive??

It makes me so angry. Just put out the finished songs and the unfinished songs can go on a rarities boxset. Stop trying to manipulate Michael into being something he isn't. Why not just exhume his dead body and get him to do one last photoshoot as well? Geez, is this shit ever going to end?

I really think Michael would've been embarassed and ashamed of the way John McClain and John Branca have handled things this far.

Vision is a complete joke - the only thing good about it is the fact that it's all compiled in one box.......The quality is TERRIBLE....those black bars, a flash of green in ITC, WYBT is cut off in the beginning...etc, etc...It was VERY cheaply put together...No love there...And, for me, BTM, Best of Joy, and Much Too Soon are incredible gems, but released in a way that doesn't respect Michael Jackson and his legacy....

Off topic, sorry..

I agreed with you. From the financial point of view, the Estate scored point after point. This Is It is a hit. The Experience is a hit. Vision and Michael have done fairly well in sales.

From artistic point of view, they caused embarassments again and again. Insinuating a discarded demo recorded in the early 80's as a "new" song recorded for This Is It? Really? I like the song This Is It, but was not happy with the whole authorship fiasco.

Vision is also a disappointment for me. The boxset does not add much to my existing collection. I'm glad to finally have Another Part of Me in good quality. But, for most other videos, I'd rather go back to Dangerous on Film, HIStory Vol. I and II. At least there are no awkward errors in the films of ITC and WYBT on Dangerous. The complete version of YANA with angel MJ is on HIStory. I understand the boxset is targeted to casual fans and general audience, but then, where is the promotion? I can hardly find a copy of Vision at my local Bestbuy or Target.

As for MICHAEL, enough has been said...

Are they kidding??

They better release one album with proper tracks like escape or DYKWYCA than a duets album.

And they should not overproduce anymore.

There will be two more albums of previously unheard tracks (including Darkchild tracks I guess), and the duet album. So you'll have both untill 2017..

Do you know that Michael "duetted" with Minnie Riperton on her posthumous duets album?

I guess he didn't respect her going by some of y'all's logic in here? Or maybe he was just dumb thinking it was a good idea?

I hope they do release a duets album if there are any unfinished songs. MJ clearly wasn't a snob seeing as he worked with the likes of Akon and performed with Britney and NSYNC (which I bet gave a heart attack to some of you), so I'm sure he wouldn't mind the release of such an album if they pick the artists right.

And yes, I hope they include a Lady Gaga duet -- she can sing and she can write, which is more than I can say for most the artists out there today, so I don't know what are some of you getting your panties in a twist about.

Back