Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

“Michael’s vision before his death was to bring ‘Thriller’ to movie theaters and use IMAX and 3D technology to make fans feel they are in the video with him,” we're told. “There is a marketing plan in place to launch the new version with a huge PR drive with (Jackson’s children) Prince and Paris involved.”

We also hear that Prince, a film making enthusiast, has expressed particular interest in this project. Our sources also say that fans are in for a double-feature.

Sounds EXCITING!!!!
:jump:

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

All I care about is unreleased songs so I'll most likely pass on this unless we get some new music from the Thriller era.

I mean its great they're doing something for thriller. I just think 3D is just a gimmick at this point...
The Documentary sounds interesting though.

It's not necessarily the 3D that excites me here. It's a Michael Jackson video being restored, given the HD/blu-ray treatment and being exhibited on the big screen. It's the first tentative step in a process that hopefully can be rolled out to many of Michael's music videos. Although it remains unlikely that we see a similar process applied to the others, it's important that this is the first.

Plus new footage of the making of Thriller is bound to appear.

I'm happy that we're going to see a new release....but 3D? At least 5 years too late. 3D is old news.

I'm happy that we're going to see a new release....but 3D? At least 5 years too late. 3D is old news.

Although I might concede that 3D hasnt found a home audience, 3D continues to have the full backing of major film studios and cinema multiplexes. In that regard it can't be considered 'too late'.

Although I might concede that 3D hasnt found a home audience, 3D continues to have the full backing of major film studios and cinema multiplexes. In that regard it can't be considered 'too late'.

Keep in mind they're only going to keep it around and trying to push it solely as an excuse to charge you an extra $5-10 on top of your normal movie ticket. I looooove going to the cinemas but I tend to see 3D as more of a gimmick that too easily distracts, it's unfortunately not often given the proper treatment in post-production by the studios to make it worth it.

3D is old news, it doesn't generally excite the public anymore. It became popular again after 2009's Avatar and hit it's peak not long after, so if this was 2007 instead, I reckon it would get more attention and excitement. However with it now being so common for so long and many films being mediocre/average 3D conversions, it just gets a shrug reaction from a lot of people.

Last edited:

Keep in mind they're only going to keep it around and trying to push it solely as an excuse to charge you an extra $5-10 on top of your normal movie ticket. I looooove going to the cinemas but I tend to see 3D as more of a gimmick that too easily distracts, it's unfortunately not often given the proper treatment in post-production by the studios to make it worth it.

3D is old news, it doesn't generally excite the public anymore. It became popular again after 2009's Avatar and hit it's peak not long after, so if this was 2007 instead, I reckon it would get more attention and excitement. However with it now being so common for so long and many films being mediocre/average 3D conversions, it just gets a shrug reaction from a lot of people.

I happen to agree with you (with a few exceptions). As someone who goes to the cinema about 5 or 6 times a month I consciously look for the non-3D screenings of the film I want to see. But 3D continues to put people in seats. It's as simple as that.

All of which harkens back to the Estate needing desperately to leave Sony and find another company that will promote his releases which has NOT been done properly in over twenty years. No they did not do a good job since then...

Problem is mostly all of mike's material is left at sony and i dont think sony being the a***s that they are will let them go

giphy.gif

:lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAH I LOVEEEEEEE THAT GUY'S REACTION IT WAS PRICELESS

As someone who goes to the cinema about 5 or 6 times a month I consciously look for the non-3D screenings of the film I want to see.

That's actually pretty cool you go that many times a month!!

I wish i could go that many times lol but then again i have kodi i can watch movies whenever i want now :)

Sometimes it's as much as 10! I have a membership card for my local cinema so I can see as many films as I like for the same monthly fee. I don't pay extra for 3D but I still avoid them.

I think i have a membership card......just can never bother using it!

ChrisC;4197003 said:
“Thriller is coming out again in movie form this summer and it will be something very special,” we're told. “John took the original footage, cleaned it up and has made it into something very unique.”
I really hope they haven't removed all the film grain and ruined it. If they have done that much of the detail is gone. I hope they preserve the original look in HD.

Last edited:

People moaning that "3D is old hat" forget one thing. This is 'Thriller + 3D!!

Thriller never gets old, and anything that keeps on promoting it, and MJ, is A OK with me.

Proper stoked about the documentary as well!

I really hope they haven't removed all the film grain and ruined it. If they have done that much of the detail is gone. I hope they preserve the original look in HD.

How do you feel about this...

As ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS that has always looked on the bluray, I think the brightness of it always made the Moonwalker clip look like an outtake. That might be just me though

lets see what the project is before we hate on it.. !?! is that fair? There is going to be more than tossing the same video in 3D.. the production would not have taken as long and would not need groups of people involved the way it does.

I wish i could go that many times lol but then again i have kodi i can watch movies whenever i want now :)

Are you sure you really want to admit to that on the net? You do know it's illegal right?

That looks great. I really like that shade of red of the outift. I wonder what aspect ratio they will use? If they make it widescreen like in Moonwalker I hope they include both versions when on the future Blu-Ray release.

That looks great. I really like that shade of red of the outift. I wonder what aspect ratio they will use? If they make it widescreen like in Moonwalker I hope they include both versions when on the future Blu-Ray release.

I should imagine wide-screen as that's how it was filmed. If there is indeed an IMAX version I'd suppose that will have a ratio closer to what we've been familiar with all these years...

8701 Girl doesn't the Estate own the Publishing Rights at this point?!

I just hope that it will include at least a DVD release of The Making Of Thriller. But Blu Ray will be awesome.

As for the new version of Thriller. It could be 20 times better then the original but I will always prefer the original. But I'm all for multiple versions of a music video. I love to see different interpretations of a film. Just don't try to replace the original.

Oh, yeah! Boogie woogie!

I can't wait!! I'm sure the Blu ray is going to include both versions, the original remastered in HD and this new version with a different ending AND the documentary :jump: way better than OTW 2016

Wouldn't this be nice if it included a Victory concert and discs compiling demos, outtakes, instrumentals, remixes, alternative versions of songs, and whatever else?

Wouldn't this be nice if it included a Victory concert and discs compiling demos, outtakes, instrumentals, remixes, alternative versions of songs, and whatever else?

If a Thriller 35 box set came out, absolutely. Think it's just the documentary at this point however.

Surely we'll hear something concrete about Thriller 3D/project soon?

Back