Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

ah maybe it will be another spike lee documentary?

this wait for concerts to be released is so tough... I'm thankful for what we have, it's just there's sooo much out there.

are they really gonna release the concert in 3d?

ah maybe it will be another spike lee documentary?

If there was one in the works we'd have heard something by now, surely.

Thriller 3D is highly expected this Halloween. Spike would need to be wrapping on filming pretty soon to make that deadline - or already finished by now.

I wonder when they plan on making the official announcement/press release for this.. I've got to assume it be released sometime in Octoberish, and I'd imagine they'd want some time promote this in some way.. hopefully we don't have to too much longer to find out all the details about this..

I'm really excited for it!!

I really don't want to be so optimistic, but I'm really hoping this Thriller project is not only the rumored Thriller 3D project, but also a 35th Anniversary Edition of the album itself. It's probably unlikely, but since Thriller 25 wasn't exactly... you know, the release fans expected, there's an opportunity to outdo Thriller 25 with a Thriller 35 and add more material in the release.

I'm not saying throw in every unreleased demo from the Thriller sessions or something like that. I mean something somewhat simple but still jam-packed with material for the fans and the general public. Here's what I had in mind...

DISC ONE (Original Album):
01. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
02. Baby Be Mine
03. The Girl is Mine (ft. Paul McCartney)
04. Thriller
05. Beat It
06. Billie Jean
07. Human Nature
08. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
09. The Lady In My Life

DISC TWO (Bonus Material):
01. Vincent Price Thriller Voiceover Session
02. Got the Hots (from Thriller 25 Japanese Edition)
03. Carousel
04. Someone in the Dark
05. Say Say Say (ft. Paul McCartney)
06. The Man (ft. Paul McCartney)
07. Love Never Felt So Good (2014 Mix)
08. I Never Heard/This Is It (ft. Paul Anka)
09. State of Shock (ft. Mick Jagger & The Jacksons)
10. Torture (ft. The Jacksons)
11. Be Not Always (ft. The Jacksons)
12. There Must Be More to Life Than This (ft. Freddie Mercury) (2014 Mix)
13. Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin (ft. Jermaine Jackson)
14. Somebody's Watching Me (ft. Rockwell)
15. We Are the World (ft. USA for Africa)

DISC THREE (Bonus Material):
01. Wanna Be Startin Somethin (demo version)
02. The Girl is Mine (solo demo version)
03. Starlight (original "Thriller" demo)
04. Beat It (demo version)
05. Billie Jean (home demo)
06. P.Y.T. (demo version)
07. Say Say Say (2015 Remix w/ alternate vocals)
08. State of Shock (demo version - ft. Freddie Mercury)
09. There Must Be More to Life Than This (demo version - ft. Freddie Mercury)
10. Love Never Felt So Good (demo version)
11. This Is It (2009 Mix - album version - ft. The Jacksons)
12. This Is It (2009 Mix - orchestra version - ft. The Jacksons)
13. I Never Heard/This Is It (original demo version)
14. We Are the World (solo demo version)

BLU-RAY/DVD (optional for the buyer):
* Michael Jackson's Thriller - in 2D and 3D formats
* The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller (full documentary)
* Beat It (video)
* Billie Jean (video)
* Billie Jean (live from Motown 25 1983)

What do you think? Is there anything I should take out? Anything I'm missing? Anything I should add? Let me know. Thanks :)

Again, I'm really trying not to be so optimistic about this, but I hope this is what they're planning. At least something similar to what I have in mind.

UPDATE: I updated the ideas. Go to the next page of this thread to see the new T35.

Last edited:

I wouldn't add the hideous This Is It again, mainly because it's bad, but also because it's inextricably linked with 2009.

I would add the Full version of Lady In My Life though, it's sublime.

Not fully sure I'd buy anything except the DVD/Blu Ray of Thriller and making of.

I really don't want to be so optimistic, but I'm really hoping this Thriller project is not only the rumored Thriller 3D project, but also a 35th Anniversary Edition of the album itself. It's probably unlikely, but since Thriller 25 wasn't exactly... you know, the release fans expected, there's an opportunity to outdo Thriller 25 with a Thriller 35 and add more material in the release..

The fans may not have expected it, but T25 was a great success around the world. I'm not sure if Sony or the MJ Estate will attempt to do that again for the 35th Anniversary.

My biggest criciticsm of T25 was that the updated versions of tracks just sounded half arsed. MJ was clearly disinterested in the project and it could have been so much more with his involvement. As successful as it was, I think if he'd participated in the production and promotion of that album it could have been a much bigger success.

The vocals MJ provided for WBSS were weak and recorded in poor quality.
The 'duet' with Fergie was a massive missed opportunity - MJ should have got involved and layed down new vocals himself.
The will.i.am tracks were typical of his style but boring.
I can't even remember the Kanye version of BJ.

what a missed opportunity.

The version of This Is It released by Paul Anka on Duets is great IMO.

It is available now on iTunes as a solo song. - First it was "only album" - so you had to buy the entire album just to get the song.

MJ sounds happy and the version is superior in any way possible. - That version could be released on the imaginary T35 :)

Hope for some news about coming projects from the estate soon.

IDK where a tour and various project convo got started in here but a 'secret' 3d project for Thriller will be THAT.. Something surrounding Thriller that will be 3D.. I really don't know how speculation turns into projects that we know it's not. lol!

The fans may not have expected it, but T25 was a great success around the world. I'm not sure if Sony or the MJ Estate will attempt to do that again for the 35th Anniversary.

To be honest, I don't expect it to happen either. It would be nice though.

The version of This Is It released by Paul Anka on Duets is great IMO. MJ sounds happy and the version is superior in any way possible.

I agree :)

I wouldn't add the hideous This Is It again, mainly because it's bad, but also because it's inextricably linked with 2009. I would add the Full version of Lady In My Life though, it's sublime.

Good point. I didn't even really think about that. AND I CANNOT BELIEVE I FORGOT THE FULL VERSION OF LADY IN MY LIFE! :eek:hno:

I'll try to rearrange the list and make some changes. I will definitely take out the two versions of "This Is It" and I still cannot believe I forgot the full version of "Lady In My Life" :doh:

IDK where a tour and various project convo got started in here but a 'secret' 3d project for Thriller will be THAT.. Something surrounding Thriller that will be 3D.. I really don't know how speculation turns into projects that we know it's not. lol!

You know this is just harmless speculation, right? Even I said it probably wasn't gonna happen.

well yeah AO98, the message wasn't specifically to you.. But I mean, cuz (we) do it to so many threads, threads become the same topic.. any news of a project of any kind becomes a brainstorm of ideas what could come. All the same topic threads with different titles.

Alright, I just finished putting together a new version of the imaginary Thriller 35 idea. Again, I don't expect something like this to happen. I would love for it to happen, but this is simply harmless speculation over the secret Thriller project coming in 2017.

DISC ONE (Original Album):
01. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
02. Baby Be Mine
03. The Girl is Mine (ft. Paul McCartney)
04. Thriller
05. Beat It
06. Billie Jean
07. Human Nature
08. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
09. The Lady In My Life

DISC TWO (Bonus Material - 1981-1983):
01. Wanna Be Startin Somethin (demo version)
02. The Girl is Mine (solo demo version)
03. Starlight (original "Thriller" demo)
04. Beat It (demo version)
05. Billie Jean (home demo)
06. P.Y.T. (demo version)
07. The Lady In My Life (full version)
08. Vincent Price Thriller Voiceover Session
09. Got the Hots (from Thriller 25 Japanese Edition)
10. Carousel
11. Someone in the Dark
12. Say Say Say (ft. Paul McCartney)
13. Say Say Say (2015 Remix w/ alternate vocals)
14. The Man (ft. Paul McCartney)
15. Love Never Felt So Good (2014 Mix)
16. Love Never Felt So Good (demo version)

DISC THREE (Bonus Material - 1983-1985):
01. I Never Heard/This Is It (ft. Paul Anka)
02. State of Shock (ft. Mick Jagger & The Jacksons)
03. State of Shock (demo version - ft. Freddie Mercury)
04. Torture (ft. The Jacksons)
05. Be Not Always (ft. The Jacksons)
06. There Must Be More to Life Than This (ft. Freddie Mercury) (2014 Mix)
07. There Must Be More to Life Than This (demo version - ft. Freddie Mercury)
08. Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin (ft. Jermaine Jackson)
09. Somebody's Watching Me (ft. Rockwell)
10. We Are the World (ft. USA for Africa)
11. We Are the World (solo demo version)

BLU-RAY/DVD (optional for the buyer):
* Michael Jackson's Thriller - in 2D and 3D formats
* The Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller (full documentary)
* Beat It (video)
* Billie Jean (video)
* Billie Jean (live from Motown 25 1983)

Thoughts? Is it better than the old ideas? Am I still missing some songs? Let me know :)

Last edited:

well yeah AO98, the message wasn't specifically to you.. But I mean, cuz (we) do it to so many threads, threads become the same topic.. any news of a project of any kind becomes a brainstorm of ideas what could come. All the same topic threads with different titles.

Oh... :doh: Sorry about that. I really thought your comment was all about the T35 idea. My mistake.

Rather than simply collating, largely, already existing material into a Thriller 35 set I'd rather see the likes of Hot Street and Trouble etc. get on there.

I really don't need the videos AGAIN unless they've done some HD magic on them.

It seems to me that the next project(s) is going to a repackaging of existing material rather than anything new like a documentary or music, purely because we've not heard a peep from anyone about them working on anything.

I think the Thriller 35 set would be possible though unlikely. Thriller 3D and a DVD or Blu-ray release of something else are my bets for now.

So does this mean that "The Making Of Thriller" will be in 3D or just the "short promotional film"? There is no reason to say unbelievably exciting re-issue projects shouldn't happen because YOU are not interested. There are billions of other people who do not have these things yet and a few of US who would care to see what interesting things might be done. Projects do not get decided upon what some fans want. They try to appeal to as many people as possible.

Last edited:

So does this mean that "The Making Of Thriller" will be in 3D or just the "short promotional film"? There is no reason to say unbelievably exciting re-issue projects shouldn't happen because YOU are not interested. There are billions of other people who do not have these things yet and a few of US who would care to see what interesting things might be done. Projects do not get decided upon what some fans want. They try to appeal to as many people as possible.

There's a discussion! lol

Regards Thriller: we don't know anything. Nothing has been announced.

If they released this new 3D Thriller video alongside The Making of Thriller in crystal clear HD I would be very happy.

I guess The Making of Thriller was filmed on 35mm? - So actually it could be made into 4K (Ultra HD) ??

Alright, I just finished putting together a new version of the imaginary Thriller 35 idea. Again, I don't expect something like this to happen. I would love for it to happen, but this is simply harmless speculation over the secret Thriller project coming in 2017.

I'm glad you added in demos. I'd love to hear takes we haven't heard, and for some songs I'd love to have multiple takes to hear how the song progressed over time. Studio chatter would be nice too. Someone early mentioned This Is It should be removed as it's associated with the concerts, fair enough, but I think they should at least include the original demo with it's original name (and at which point, the 2009 version as it now has better context). Given it was a song from the era that was later officially released, and since we're collecting songs that have already been released... ;)

I would add a couple of unheard, unreleased songs into the mix. I mean, if we're making it an imaginary verison we'd love rather than being 100% realistic why not! I wasn't so keen on your original idea because I already had everything there, but if they offer new material I'll take a gander.

06. There Must Be More to Life Than This (ft. Freddie Mercury) (2014 Mix)
07. There Must Be More to Life Than This (demo version - ft. Freddie Mercury)

Ugh, that 2014 mix is so horrendous. Queen made a better mix but apparently the Estate insisted on another remix being done by William Orbit, which of course was released and panned by many Queen/MJ fans alike for good reason. I'd rather have that on a Thriller re-release than the 2014 William Orbit remix. If not that, then the demo or nothing haha.

If they released this new 3D Thriller video alongside The Making of Thriller in crystal clear HD I would be very happy.

I guess The Making of Thriller was filmed on 35mm? - So actually it could be made into 4K (Ultra HD) ??

Thriller was shot on 35mm, Making of Thriller was either that or 16mm (I have a feeling it's possibly 16mm?).

Either way, yes, it could be scanned and presented at 4K resolution and look great assuming the film has been properly maintained. Theoretically you can scan film at any digital size you want, but each format has a point where scanning any higher won't get you anything more.

I don't think they would include the documentary in HD. No one does it. It would be too much work to edit it again. Old documentaries are never HD on Blu-Rays releases of movies.

Last edited:

I don't think they would include the documentary in HD. No one does it. It would be too much work to edit it again. Old documentaries are never HD on Blu-Rays releases of movies.

I don't think they will either (or more accurately, I keep my expectations low), but it does happen every once in a while.

Most recently, The Beatles re-issued Sgt. Peppers in an incredible 6-disc set. Disc 6 was a Blu-ray of a 1992 documentary on the making of said album. Yes, restored and all.

I thought it more likely a new documentary would be created for Thriller. Examining the impact of the short film and charting the restoration and 3D process, including footage from the original making of BUT we've not heard a peep about any of that happening and if Thriller 3D is happening by Halloween it is surely too late now...

Wrong thread LOL.
Have no idea how I got here tho.
I clicked on another thread entirely.:bugeyed:busted::lol:

Edit:but since I'm here I wonder when they're going to announce the Thriller project.

Though I'd like a re-release of Making Of Thriller, it's just hard to imagine they would put that much work into the 'making of'.. Though they could always release a making of this Thriller 3D with footage from the original making with footage we've never seen before.

HIStoric after all of these decades I have never seen a good source that tells how many songs were recoded for the Studio L.P. entitled "Thriller". It seems I have heard eighty and then I have heard eight hundred. I find eight hundred to be very unrealistic. Even the eighty number though I hope that that is the case or even more. Of course I think it was Bruce Swedian who said after Michael died that there were only two more unreleased songs that were "finished". But what one person calls "finished" another person won't. Personally I don't think Michael ever considered his songs "finished" of which I think is the secret here. I think Bruce was not being strategic here with both what was already released and what could still be in the sense that he did not want to have to face any pressures of doing a bunch of work. SOME of that was fine and good to say at the time so people would be misled and surprised every time new recordings came out but maybe he was moody or playing his hand in some way or manner. Who knows? Michael always said to "leave them wanting more"!

I also should and would like to point out that I think the Estate should plucking leave Sony and sign with someone else! Why are they doing business with a company who helped to destroy Michael?! Please don't tell that was just Mottella. The company could have stopped him, controlled, and fixed that situation if they wanted to...

P.S.: Nice pics of Michael HIStoric and Pink Diamond Princess!

Last edited:

I don't think they will either (or more accurately, I keep my expectations low), but it does happen every once in a while.

Most recently, The Beatles re-issued Sgt. Peppers in an incredible 6-disc set. Disc 6 was a Blu-ray of a 1992 documentary on the making of said album. Yes, restored and all.

Well - that gives hope. - Would be great to see in good quality. - they should also get his stuff on Netflix.

Wrong thread LOL.
Have no idea how I got here tho.
I clicked on another thread entirely.:bugeyed:busted::lol:

Edit:but since I'm here I wonder when they're going to announce the Thriller project.

Me too... Halloween is not so far away anymore. - If they have something planned it time to get the promotion startet.

I thought it more likely a new documentary would be created for Thriller. Examining the impact of the short film and charting the restoration and 3D process, including footage from the original making of BUT we've not heard a peep about any of that happening and if Thriller 3D is happening by Halloween it is surely too late now...

I'd love that!!

Me too... Halloween is not so far away anymore. - If they have something planned it time to get the promotion startet.

Halloween is still a good 4.5 months away. The Estate have a tendency to announce new releases roughly a month and a bit before it's release, with the exception of Bad 25 which was announced super early - about 4 months before release.

Michael/Vision was announced beginning of November 2010, released mid December. Immortal was announced in October, released in November. Xscape was announced around April Fools, released mid-May, etc etc.

So if it's going to be a Halloween release, look for a press release in September or so.

HIStoric after all of these decades I have never seen a good source that tells how many songs were recoded for the Studio L.P. entitled "Thriller". It seems I have heard eighty and then I have heard eight hundred. I find eight hundred to be very unrealistic. Even the eighty number though I hope that that is the case or even more.

Yeah, I've seen numbers all over the place. I've heard some people say "oh he recorded 80 songs for Bad!" and it makes it sound like there was 70 proper songs chilling in a vault when it was released, but in reality I think he finished 11 songs properly, spent a lot of time on a handful of others (Streetwalker, Abortion Papers etc) and then you'd have a lot - a solid bulk of the '70' - either just in writing or in very raw demo recordings with Michael often scatting/mumbling in parts as many leaked demos have demonstrated.

I also should and would like to point out that I think the Estate should plucking leave Sony and sign with someone else! Why are they doing business with a company who helped to destroy Michael?! Please don't tell that was just Mottella. The company could have stopped him, controlled, and fixed that situation if they wanted to...

I don't feel as passionately about the Sony thing, I think when it came to issues like Invincible's release it was both of their faults, but keep in mind Michael did voluntarily sign with Sony for the release of Thriller 25. After all that fuss he made in 2002, he was comfortable enough to still sign with them half a decade later to release Thriller.

P.S.: Nice pics of Michael HIStoric and Pink Diamond Princess!

Thanks!!

Well - that gives hope. - Would be great to see in good quality. - they should also get his stuff on Netflix.

That's what I've been saying! Get his longer material onto Netflix, I'm glad This Is It is up there now (at least, it is for New Zealand). It's going to get a lot more exposure from people bored, browsing through the catalogue. I watched bits of it the other week for the hell of it.

I watched a 4 hour long Frank Sinatra documentary on Netflix solely because it was on there, wouldn't have bought it on Blu-ray but I watched it because it was on Netflix. By this point, I don't really give a damn about how much money new releases by Michael makes or how well it charts, all I care is about people witnessing the greatness of The King.

Back