Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Hmm, Venice is where Spike Lee's 'Bad' doco premiered. Then they brought the film to London......
I hope they do the same with Thriller 3D :)

Venice Film Festival 2012: Michael Jackson documentary Bad 25, review
Spike Lee’s archive-plundering documentary about late singer Michael Jackson's seventh studio album has the air of an officially sanctioned project, writes Robbie Collin.

Nice that Jane Fonda will be getting a lifetime achievement award at the end of the festival

Jane Fonda and Robert Redford Golden Lions for Lifetime Achievement at the 74th Festival
The Award Ceremony will take place on Friday, September 1st

http://[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pomYhevXj][/URL]

Last edited:
Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

DFwFW2BXcAIvwL2.jpg

DFwHZEZXkAArycz.jpg

^ I wonder why Michael's photo has been replaced with a painting, and why the artwork doesn't say 'Michael Jackson's Thriller'?
Is it 'John Landis's Thriller' on the cover now? I've never seen MJ's name in such small typeface on a cover before. (Same print size as Ola Ray !!!)

If this is a poster or a DVD/ Blu Ray cover design, it's extremely disappointing.

^it's fan made and it's been posted by MJ Beats several times before the announcement.

3d prob been done because of landis lawsuit. As others said 3D is out of date witth very few people having the equipment to enjoy it. Maybe they are doing it to keep him happy seeing as hes part of the bitter and twisted club with jones.

Nice to see the making of getting remastered.my old VHS legend continues copy is worn out

I think the poster is cool.. I'd DL it and photoshop Johns name out and call it a day lol!

I hope that the audio is remastered in surround sound, better than on the DVD.

When do we get new details?

Great news. I hope they are scanning the other short films in 4K too.

The lack of comments in this thread speaks volumes really, doesnt it?

If this was a few years ago, it would have been post after post. Now it just seems everyone is wise to the number of ..."Oh, ok...." releases the Estate have pulled together

Thriller 3D talk has been around for years since landis lawsuit and as others said 3D is of no use if you dont have the equipment tp watch it. Its not a big news story

Love the Ed Wood, B movie style poster.

Looks good to me. In response to Innuendo, I'd say the Estate have delivered a mix of excellent and okay projects and this falls into ok.

Xscape, Bad25 both amazing. OTW rerelease okay (but the doc was great). If this gets DVD release then good.

I see that John Landis is chairing the Venice Jury for 'Virtual Reality' films.

The festival also announced Sunday that U.S. director John Landis will head the jury of the new Venice Virtual Reality section, which organizers tout as the first-ever competition for VR works launched by a major film fest.
Landis will be joined on the VR jury by French screenwriter and film director Celine Sciamma, who directed “Tomboy” and penned “My Life as a Zucchini,” and Italian actor and director Ricky Tognazzi (“Ultrà”).

http://variety.com/2017/film/festiv...r-wright-rebecca-hall-john-landis-1202503911/

Hulkamaniac;4201985 said:
^it's fan made and it's been posted by MJ Beats several times before the announcement.

Re. the 'poster', thank you for this information. I'm seeing the same graphic everywhere (on FB, Twitter etc) and assumed it was now official. I think a lot of fans do indeed think that this is the official poster.

Glad this is finally official, I look forward to seeing how it's released. It's cool they included the documentary nice touch Estate.

The best part of this is that we don't have to watch a third Spike Lee documentary. Off the Wall was bad enough to completely erase any positive recollections I had of Bad25. But I digress.

Literally all the Estate has to do here is outsource the task of digitally restoring the Thriller short film and the making-of documentary into HD, then converting the former into 3D.

That's it. No more, no less. Maybe throw it on YouTube or iTunes if they don't want a full-scale DVD/Blu-Ray release (which is fine with me -- this isn't a project that will light up the charts in any significant way).

Assuming the original source footage is still in good condition -- and God knows at this point-- this is bar none the easiest project they've ever undertaken. In spite of all we've been through with them, I'll be genuinely stunned if they manage to screw this up somehow.

I'm being as cautiously optimistic as I can.

This is a old thread and does not indicate it is now official and will be shown in Venezia.
If you go in this thread you have to read sides back to know that it now happens and where.

The lack of comments in this thread speaks volumes really, doesnt it?

If this was a few years ago, it would have been post after post. Now it just seems everyone is wise to the number of ..."Oh, ok...." releases the Estate have pulled together

??? IDK if I understood your message correctly but........about two weeks ago the Estate said they were going to announce something, right? and everyone here thought it was Thriller 3D and everybody was excited for it and what was the big announcement? a cartoon. that's why nobody is posting anymore because we don't expect anything else from the Estate, they can not do things right. it's nice to have this confirmed, but after that disappointment nobody is that excited anymore.

If anyone was wondering, they are keeping Thriller 3D out of any competitions within the festival - will be part of a special event that consists the 3 films we see on the screenshot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Festival appears to be a 10 day event? Aug 30th-Sep 9th!

Shouldn't it say "A Michael Jackson & John Landis film"?

It was Michael's idea and he paid half of production costs (I think).

^ The poster is fan made.. If you look at the actual screenshot it says "Michael Jackson's THRILLER 3D".. Than under Johns name

I know I'm in the minority around here but I can't wait for the 3D Bluray release of this!!

I have a 55 inch LG passive 3D TV and the glasses are the same lightweight plastic polarized glasses you get from most 3D movie theaters..

I already have a collection of 3D Blurays that's around 90 movies so far, including This Is It 3D, and if you haven't seen the 3D TII, then you're missing out!

It's absolutely glorious to see!

I will gladly buy Thriller 3D Bluray, day one purchase easily!

Shouldn't it say "A Michael Jackson & John Landis film"?

It was Michael's idea and he paid half of production costs (I think).
John Landis still solely directed it. It can mean a multitude of things, but in this case it's referring to the director.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

John Landis still solely directed it. It can mean a multitude of things, but in this case it's referring to the director.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Now, THAT'S a contract I'd like to see. I'd like to understand how Landis claims to own that video.
I know Michael put up the money and Branca swung the deals with MTV, Showtime and Vestron to help finance it. The only thing I can think of is that they gave him a little ownership since he brought Rick Baker, etc. into the deal. I just find that odd.

I think also it`s only a reference as director, same when you say a Spike Lee documentation, doesn`t mean he has the ownership

Same with Making Michael Jackson Thriller references to Jerry Kramer

I think also it`s only a reference as director, same when you say a Spike Lee documentation, doesn`t mean he has the ownership
That's correct about the poster.

John, himself, repeatedly has said he owns the film in recent years.

John, himself, repeatedly has said he owns the film in recent years.

I do not remember that. He repeatly said the Michael Jackson Estate will kill him by saying details about the project.

I do not remember that. He repeatly said the Michael Jackson Estate will kill him by saying details about the project.
That's true about saying the Estate will kill him.

I don't save things, but I do remember spouting off in the comment section of an interview he did recently where he once again said he owned it-guess he means he "co-owns it", but still don't get how that happened.
Here he is saying it back in 2011-at the 13:03 mark. And he also takes credit for getting Showtime, MTV and Vestron Home Video involved. I don't know-I find him obnoxious.

Isn't it nice that after all this John Landis stuff and Quincy Jones stuff, that Michael Peters never turned into a jerk.

Whenever I hear anything bad about John I think of that interview he did when he was choked up talking about Michael when he passed. I choose to believe he spoke truth that day and prefer to think of that than any other nonsense he may have said.

I see on Twitter people are boycotting Thriller 3D. It seems crazy. It's one of Michael's best music videos - you'd think these people wanted it expunged from Michael's catalogue...

CrazyVegasMJ - thanks for reminding me there was a 3D This Is It! I forgot about it. Gonna order now.

It's not uncommon for the direction to consider a film they direct a film of theres... Usually in standard terms that's how people talk about it.. that's why there are slogans like: "A Spike Lee Joint" .. People go watch films made by the director because of the catalogue they build.. Steven Spielberg, JJ abrams, Christopher Nolan..

It does not take away how magical Michael was in the film or what he put into it. I don't see the reason to be little Landis's part in the film when Michael went to him for a reason.. John (no matter what we may think of him as a person) did an awesome job with that project.

Back