Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

the anticipation....

I hope we don't build it up today for nothing! but i'll be checking back of course..

:blush::)

Okay so now I'm wondering about Venice. It runs August 30th to September 9th. It fits with dates but I hadn't considered it as didn't think it was big enough - I was wrong it's considered one of the 'Big Three'. However John Landis IS attending it and is on the jury. So maybe Venice? The line-up for that festival will be announed Thursday morning.

Hopefully this is a hint hint!

Guys please dont get your hopes up...

I'll check the line-up announcement tomorrow and report back.

I wouldn't get hopes up either, but if Thriller isn't appearing at either Toronto OR Venice then I think it confirms that a change of plan has occurred very recently. Unless anyone knows of any other major film festival this summer?

How exciting!

For the life of me I cannot figure out what BTS stands for. Anyone know?

Okay it's confirmed.

Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D

AND

Making Michael Jackson's Thriller (1983)

They spoke about it however I don't understand Italian. But we know for sure it's coming now and it looks like the original documentary has been remastered?

So is this not a big deal to the estate?? Why no announcement for this?

To me it's a far bigger deal than a cartoon special that Michael had no part in. But hey the Estate work in mysterious ways!

Okay it's confirmed.

Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D

AND

Making Michael Jackson's Thriller (1983)

They spoke about it however I don't understand Italian. But we know for sure it's coming now and it looks like the original documentary has been remastered?

To me it's a far bigger deal than a cartoon special that Michael had no part in. But hey the Estate work in mysterious ways!

Wait was it just confirmed today by a third party or something? Or are you referring to that foreign interview that had John dubbed into another language that was making the rounds here a week or two back?

Wait was it just confirmed today by a third party or something? Or are you referring to that foreign interview that had John dubbed into another language that was making the rounds here a week or two back?

Sorry I just assumed everyone had followed the thread.

The line up for the Venice Film Festival was announced this morning. THRILLER 3D and the original making of will screen at it.

ChrisC;4201917 said:
Sorry I just assumed everyone had followed the thread.

The line up for the Venice Film Festival was announced this morning. THRILLER 3D and the original making of will screen at it.

Oh I looked at another film festival linked on the last page or two.

Anyway, for everyone else: http://deadline.com/2017/07/venice-film-festival-2017-lineup-full-list-1202137114/

"OUT OF COMPETITION – SPECIAL EVENTS
Casa D’Altri, dir: Gianni Amelio
Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D, dir: John Landis
Making Of Michael Jackson’s Thriller, dir: Jerry Kramer"

As for why the Estate hasn't announced it yet, I'd just give them a few days. They might not have been allowed to announce it's inclusion until the film festival did.

The Venice Film Festival website confirms the length of both...

JERRY KRAMER - MAKING OF MICHAEL JACKSON’S THRILLER [SPECIAL EVENTS]
USA, 45’

JOHN LANDIS - MICHAEL JACKSON’S THRILLER 3D [SPECIAL EVENTS]
USA, 14’
Michael Jackson, Ola Ray

If Thriller has a new ending it hasn't changed the runtime.

It also seems unlikely now that Thriller will receive a wide cinema release. 59 minutes is a little short to ask people to cough up for a ticket.

It will surely exhibit at a few select festivals as did Bad 25 before bowing on Blu-ray? I would expect it to be quite cheap on home release too given how short it is...unless they give extras. And it also seems so pointless converting it to 3D when so few people have the technology at home to view it.

It also seems unlikely now that Thriller will receive a wide cinema release. 59 minutes is a little short to ask people to cough up for a ticket.

It will surely exhibit at a few select festivals as did Bad 25 before bowing on Blu-ray? I would expect it to be quite cheap on home release too given how short it is...unless they give extras. And it also seems so pointless converting it to 3D when so few people have the technology at home to view it.

And Thriller 3D is most certainly not enough to warrant investing in the technology also!

what's the big deal about it? I'm sure they would release a both 3D and standard blu ray discs :)

what's the big deal about it? I'm sure they would release a both 3D and standard blu ray discs :)

I don't understand your question.

However to clarify my post that you quoted, I don't understand the point of going to the expense of hiring a 3D conversion studio to convert Thriller into 3D when only a handful of the public will ever see it. This is assuming that Thriller 3D does not receive a wide cinema release.

I understand restoring it from the negatives - that's a fabulous thing. But the 3D conversion, no.

I don't understand your question.

However to clarify my post that you quoted, I don't und

erstand the point of going to the expense of hiring a 3D conversion studio to convert Thriller into 3D when only a handful of the public will ever see it. This is assuming that Thriller 3D does not receive a wide cinema rrelease.

I understand restoring it from the negatives - that's a fabulous thing. But the 3D conversion, no.
I wonder if there's a possibility they'll use it in MJ One in Vegas? Like update the show with a few new things. A massive part of the show is footage of MJ. Hmmm just thinking out loud.

Also they could screen the short film -not the doc- before films in theatres this Halloween? To me, the very idea of 3D suggests they want to show it on the big screen, not so much home viewing.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Estate...

Hello, MJFAM:

For months, you all have been rabidly discussing rumors about “Thriller 3D.” We are happy to confirm that the rumors are true! Many of you may have seen the announcement this morning: The Venice Film Festival will premiere “Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D” at this year’s event. We cannot announce any more details at this time, but we will be sure to do so as those details become available.

Best,
Alicia
MJOnline
The Official Online Team of The Michael Jackson Estate™

Also they could screen the short film -not the doc- before films in theatres this Halloween? To me, the very idea of 3D suggests they want to show it on the big screen, not so much home viewing.

Definitely. And yeah, that's possible. But again that seems more likely to be in select theatres in the US or something. It just doesn't look to me, at this point, like a major cinema release.

There could still be a new documentary that will exhibit with Thriller later but it just seems so unlikely. I do hope I'm wrong.

I would just be happy to get 'Thriller' and 'The Making of' together on one DVD!

The MJ Estate must surely expect to profit from Thriller 3D somehow, so I'm sure they will be releasing it for home BluRay release but as already mentioned there's not enough content to make it worthwhile. I don't have a 3D TV so I won't be buying it, and even if I did I'm not sure I'd bother. Plus home 3D is beyond it's peak interest anyway. Few people care about watching 3D at home and only one TV manufacturer makes 3D TVs in their 2017 range!

It wouldn't make sense to only release it on the festival scene as that won't earn enough money to cover production costs.
I doubt they'll be able to sell this to TV broadcasters because there are very few broadcasting in 3D anymore, and I doubt they would want to show the 2D version alongside the 'making of' documentary.
It wouldn't stand on its own as a cinema release - who would pay to see Thriller 3D and the documentary in the cinema in 2017 other than hardcore MJ fans? There are too few of them to make it worthwhile for cinemas outside of major cities to screen it.

So I agree that the 3D version of Thriller will most likely be tied in with another 3D cinema release around halloween like a mini B Movie. That way it can earn a percentage of profits. Anything else doesn't make much sense.
The documentary will be packaged with 3D Thriller to entice hardcore fans to buy the BluRay. All I can say is it better have some pretty special packaging to avoid it flopping on the BluRay chart. Some people will buy anything with innovative, non-standard packaging. (Fancy steelbooks etc)

^ yeah, well there is no way they are going to do that work JUST to show it at a festival with no profit.. That doesn't happen! There will be some type of release to the public that people will have to pay for. They may be using the festival for semi free advertising - word of mouth and critics slapping notes all over about it.. Once reviews come out, that will help them figure out the best release tactics.
That's often how it happens.

^ yeah, well there is no way they are going to do that work JUST to show it at a festival with no profit.. That doesn't happen! There will be some type of release to the public that people will have to pay for. They may be using the festival for semi free advertising - word of mouth and critics slapping notes all over about it.. Once reviews come out, that will help them figure out the best release tactics.
That's often how it happens.

Yeah but as MJTruth points out, 3D at the home market doesn't fly really. It just begs the question, why did they bother making it 3D merely to exhibit at a few select movie theatres in the world? Something else must be brewing, surely!

Ok. 3D is so 2010.

2017 is all about UHD Bluray, Dolby Vision, HDR and immersive audio like Dolby Atmos.

For the mainstream public release an immersive UHD Dolby Vision/HDR version of Thriller on Netflix worldwide and give the fans the possibility to buy a physical UHD copy on the MJ website.

If they do the above, it will be a huge success.

For the record I have all the gear needed for a UHD and immersive audio experience including an OLED TV?

For the record I have all the gear needed for a UHD and immersive audio experience including an OLED TV?

And for the record I have the gear needed for a 3D blu-ray of Thriller. But I don't know anyone else who does...

Yeah but as MJTruth points out, 3D at the home market doesn't fly really. It just begs the question, why did they bother making it 3D merely to exhibit at a few select movie theatres in the world? Something else must be brewing, surely!

Well lets also consider expectations of sales.. Of course this is all dependent on how different the actual project is (outside of the 3D) aspect to the original. People don't revisit 3 decade old projects for a huge cash in - but more so passion project that would bring more light (with some financial gain) to a previous large project..

3D is not a big draw when it comes to in home sales - as mentioned. at the same time, we don't know if in home 3D sales is what they are trying to get yet nor do we know if it's just a passion project for MJ fans.. If so selling a 3D thing like this will sell to that specific market. If it is all about the $$$ there has to be more to it than we know.

If I were to guess, there is something more than just a 3D version of Thriller with a scene or two different.. 3D filming has costs to it, it's expensive.. they have to plan to recieve that money back plus some.

Back