Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

close to September - and information is still very dark
schedules not in sight - release it and stop playing with my heart
"soon on the screen" - the verbiage we get and I can't take it
did time just freeze? - or is it this 3D thing just big lies?
oh tell me why!

Cause this is THRILLER

I wonder what kind of release to the general public this is going to have.
Will it be a theater release, a TV release, a streaming/social media release (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, etc), or a direct to DVD release?

Worldwide cinema release for limited time + Blu ray SD/4K release (hopefully includes a Victory tour DVD) + Netflix + music video on Youtube

that's my bet

yeap I think it's time for a trailer

schedules not in sight - release it and stop playing with my heart
"soon on the screen" - the verbiage we get and I can't take it
did time just freeze? - or is it this 3D thing just big lies?
oh tell me why!

Cause this is THRILLER

Beautiful! Did you teach Michael and Rod to write??

An estate announcement.
pCjK53J.jpg

Imagine GHOSTS in 3D, the movie was meant to be Thriller 2.0.

Ghosts should be released officially!!!!

It WAS intented to be shown in theaters just like Thriller music video, John has said that multiple times on interviews. Quality will be as good as the music video because the Making Of is also on film.....just take a look at the VHS, it's full of film dirt. do you really expect SD/DVD quality for a festival?

I've never heard that it was intended for the documentary to be exhibited theatrically. Indeed, I thought it was part financed by a television network (MTV?) and a VHS company (both obviously small screen). Can you link me to any of the interviews you refer to where John talked about the documentary being shown in cinemas in 1983?

Incidentally, I've seen a range of films of varying quality at festivals.

I've never heard that it was intended for the documentary to be exhibited theatrically. Indeed, I thought it was part financed by a television network (MTV?) and a VHS company (both obviously small screen). Can you link me to any of the interviews you refer to where John talked about the documentary being shown in cinemas in 1983?

Incidentally, I've seen a range of films of varying quality at festivals.

watch until 9:06 https://youtu.be/4WisJgRiQQs?t=8m9s

why does everyone forget that it was also released on Laserdisc (and many other rare video formats)?

$(KGrHqNHJEIFBoSs1KIEBQm1+5ofbw~~60_35.JPG

source is not VHS, it's a film just like Thriller. watch the documentary, there is film dirt. it's not an effect ;)

Last edited:

Where does John say about it being intended for the big screen? He says the opposite, that it was intended for cable television.

Edit: I see some information about it being filmed in 16mm which Wikipedia describes as being used generally for 'non-theatrical' film-making.

So the technical wizards in here can perhaps explain, if the original negatives were also recovered, how good can it look after restoration?

Last edited:
Where does John say about it being intended for the big screen? He says the opposite, that it was intended for cable television.

exactly, he says that in the beginning and at 8:58 he says "...but it was meant to be theatrical. it was going to play in cinemas".

Edit: I see some information about it being filmed in 16mm which Wikipedia describes as being used generally for 'non-theatrical' film-making.

So the technical wizards in here can perhaps explain, if the original negatives were also recovered, how good can it look after restoration?

basically like this but in actual HD, no film dirt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-4WTk8Z0QQ

so if you ask me, I think it's going to look incredible :)

exactly, he says that in the beginning and at 8:58 he says "...but it was meant to be theatrical. it was going to play in cinemas".

I see now. Although it's not clear if he's talking about both or either, and indeed if it was intended initially for the big screen but this changed throughout the production process?

I'd find it odd that they'd use 16mm (perhaps purely economical reasons?) and it be 45 minutes long when it was meant to exhibit as a theatrical feature. And where would the money come from to distribute at that level? They barely covered production costs.

It's that short run time that makes me equally skeptical that it will exhibit in cinemas in 2017. Will people really be prepared to pay the expensive cinema ticket fees for something that'll reach 59 minutes in length?

Thriller film seems to be preserved in national film registry since 2009.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...sons-thriller-added-to-national-film-registry
"The library works with film archives and movie studios to ensure original copies are kept safe. It also acquires a copy for preservation in its own vaults among millions of other recordings at the Packard Campus of the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center in the hills near Culpeper, Va."

Thriller film seems to be preserved in national film registry since 2009.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...sons-thriller-added-to-national-film-registry
"The library works with film archives and movie studios to ensure original copies are kept safe. It also acquires a copy for preservation in its own vaults among millions of other recordings at the Packard Campus of the National Audio-Visual Conservation Center in the hills near Culpeper, Va."

The original video, yes. But the documentary?

According to IMDB the short film was recorded on 35 film. It also states so in the official estate press release:

http://www.michaeljackson.com/news/michael-jacksons-thriller-3d-premiere-venice-film-festival-2/

I hope it will be on Netflix too.

Would be great if it is released in 4K - but Blu-Ray is fine too.

A Thriller and The Making of Thriller combo Blu-Ray - maybe with other videos from Thriller in HD quality too. - Would be great.

Legend3D have worked on some high profile films!

Here's some text about Thriller3D from their website:

Michael Jackson’s iconic music video for Thriller premiered in 1983 and sold out every night for three weeks, and is the only music film to be inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress. Following a restoration of the original film’s audio and video, Legend 3D worked with Michael Jackson’s Estate and the original director John Landis to convert this popular video into 3D.

“Working with the Stereographers at Legend 3D was fun and exciting,” said Director John Landis. “I was impressed with their enthusiasm and skill, and how far the technology has come. I think people will be wowed by their work in Michael Jackson's Thriller 3-D.”

Landis also says, “We took full advantage of the remarkable advances in technology to add new dimensions to both the visual and the audio, bringing it to a whole new level. Even though Thriller was shot traditionally, I was able to use the 3-D creatively. Let me just warn you, there is a rather shocking surprise in there.”

“I couldn’t be more proud of Legend3D’s talented artists for the incredible work they did on Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D,” said Legend 3D’s Managing Stereo Supervisor Tony Baldridge. “And working directly with John Landis was an honor and a rare privilege. He’s a quintessential storyteller and wants to understand the tools of the trade. To that end we had a blast talking through each shot and what his original 2D intent was, and how it could translate to 3D, then leveraging Legend’s powerful toolset to execute his creative direction right then and there. It doesn’t get much better.”

Highly anticipated since rumors arose in 2014, the 3D film premieres at the 2017 Venice Film Festival in Italy on September 4th, and will screen at the Toronto Film Festival later that month.

Can't wait to see how Thiller will look in HD. I just hope that they have restored it with care and not removed all the film grain. Much of the detail is gone if they do that. For example the latest Blu-ray releases of the movie Predator don't look good. They have ruined it with too much digital noise reduction to remove the grain:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Predator-Blu-ray/11375/#Review

People look like they have made of wax. I hope this hasn't happened for Thriller.

Last edited:
Yes there's a certain amount of charm to having the authentic film grain, but on the other hand they could easily be criticised by some people for leaving it in. It's probably another no win situation for them. I think the grain adds a certain B-movie feeling to Thriller, so it would be nice to see some it left in, but I'll wait to see what it looks like then make my mind up. If the film grain is gone and the result doesn't look to sterile then I'll be happy.

Last edited:
some of that film grain will always be in it.. but It should never intentionally be taken out, it is THE look of old school horror films.. That's the point of the look!

some of that film grain will always be in it.. but It should never intentionally be taken out, it is THE look of old school horror films.. That's the point of the look!

I'm with you

exactly. and this release was approved by the director himself so yeah, as he said this is gonna look spectacular of that I'm sure.

Okay so I knew Rick Baker and Michael Peters entered the make-up chair and 'zombie'd up' for Thriller. But I did not know that Janet Jackson and Vincent Paterson did. Does anyone know which zombies they play?

http://www.mjthriller.net/credits/

Vincent is the zombie wearing the long tie and suit, I believe. You can see him better in the rehearsals in the doc.
Never heard Janet was there.

Wonder why they didn't give special credit to the zombie in the manhole?

I heard Janet being in Thriller was a myth... interesting to see listed though!

So we have 4 more days for the schedule!

I heard Janet being in Thriller was a myth... interesting to see listed though!

So we have 4 more days for the schedule!

I'm more interested to find out what the Estate plans to do with this for those of us who won't be attending Venice or Toronto.

Is it JUST a blu-ray or are we getting a chance to see it ourselves in a cinema. I really have to know.

^ I think we all are!

I'm assuming we will find out after the fact - maybe with reviews of it, the info will come along with..

I've seen this online. It's a translation but from a trusted source. I've no idea how the competition will run, as clearly you have to be judged (in costume) before winning....

The Estate of MJ announces that tickets have been set aside for fans to watch the 3D Thriller show at the Venice Film Festival.

These places are limited, so it is necessary to arrive early to the cinema in order to have a chance to get one.

Following the screening, a reception will be organized by the Estate and Sony Music to which the fans are invited.

Fans who will be disguised as a "Thriller" zombie will have a chance to win tickets for the projection and reception.

There will also be derivatives (souvenirs??) available on-site so fans can keep a memory of this projection.

3D Thriller : Sala Grande - Palazzo del Cinema, September 4th. The projection starts at 22:15 with a red carpet just before.

http://mjstreet.fr/2017/08/19/thriller-3d-a-venise-les-fans-autorises-a-y-assister/

And here is a link to the Estate statement in English:

http://**************/index.php/2017/08/thriller-film-festival-tickets/

Last edited:
Back