moonstreets anything you need to know about London / The 02 thread

Thanks for the help. I'm staying close by, only about a mile from the arena, but its across the river. Its a bit daunting for a first time traveler. Luckily I got $30 shuttle service from Heathrow to the hotel, so that should be fun to see London on the hour-long ride to the hotel. I did a pick your own price through Priceline where you don't get to choose your hotel, so I was hoping I'd get something south of the Thames. No luck.

Hi moonstreet I was wondering if you could help me. :unsure:

I'm staying at Ibis London Excel in July, and I am wondering how to get to the O2. It was on the email sent from ticketmaster so I assume it's close? The details on the email said 5 mins walk to Royal Victoria Station and then it says 9 mins to the O2. Does that mean I can get from there direct to the O2? It's not really very clear. Thanks in advance! :D

hey :) me again!

i have another question now. since my travelplans have changed cuz of the rescheduling things from the concerts, i had to change my hostel. i am not staying in eltham now, but in miles drive, woolwich. could you please tell me the best way to go to the o2 from there (it doesnt seem so far away) and to the city center? which travelcard do i need? and how will i reach there from luton airport? would be happy to hear from you again :)

Hi moonstreet I was wondering if you could help me. :unsure:

I'm staying at Ibis London Excel in July, and I am wondering how to get to the O2. It was on the email sent from ticketmaster so I assume it's close? The details on the email said 5 mins walk to Royal Victoria Station and then it says 9 mins to the O2. Does that mean I can get from there direct to the O2? It's not really very clear. Thanks in advance! :D

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-3655-ibis-london-excel/location.shtml

your hotel website. You have 2 options as your hotel is located between 2 DRL (Docklands Light Railway) stations. You can either walk to Royal Victoria Station or to Custom House Station. Once you get on the DLR train, you go 1 or 2 stops depending on which station you go on at, to Canning Town. Then you change to The Jubilee Line. All you have to go is 1 stop to North Greenwich for The O2

hey :) me again!

i have another question now. since my travelplans have changed cuz of the rescheduling things from the concerts, i had to change my hostel. i am not staying in eltham now, but in miles drive, woolwich. could you please tell me the best way to go to the o2 from there (it doesnt seem so far away) and to the city center? which travelcard do i need? and how will i reach there from luton airport? would be happy to hear from you again :)

To Get to The O2 from Woolwich, take the DRL (Docklands Light Railway) to Canning Town, and then change onto the Jubilee line, and then go 1 stop to North Greenwich for The O2.

To go to central London, take the DRL from Woolwich to Bank, where you can connect onto the Tube network in central London.

http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/content/2/193/by-rail.html
this is travel page for Luton airport. From the airport take the shuttle bus to Luton Airport Parkway Station. Then take the train to St Pancreas Station. Then get the tube, Northern Line south to Bank, where you change to the DRL for Woolwich.

It depends on how long you are staying and how much travelking you will be doing. Its better if you get an OYSTER card, and ask at the tube staion in St Pancreas and they will tell you the best option

http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-3655-ibis-london-excel/location.shtml

your hotel website. You have 2 options as your hotel is located between 2 DRL (Docklands Light Railway) stations. You can either walk to Royal Victoria Station or to Custom House Station. Once you get on the DLR train, you go 1 or 2 stops depending on which station you go on at, to Canning Town. Then you change to The Jubilee Line. All you have to go is 1 stop to North Greenwich for The O2

Thankyou! I've just looked on the tfl website, and the last journey back is at 7:15 :unsure: Do you think it's near enough to go in a taxi without costing the earth? Also is the taxi rank at the o2 in an obvious place so I'll see it ok?

Last edited:
Thankyou! I've just looked on the tfl website, and the last journey back is at 7:15 :unsure: Do you think it's near enough to go in a taxi without costing the earth? Also is the taxi rank at the o2 in an obvious place so I'll see it ok?

I dont understand why it says 7.15 as Ive just been to Britany at The O2 tonight and there defiantly was a DRL to Woolwich.

Yes the taxi rank at The O2 is in an obvious palce, there is a purpose built travel station, where the exit / entrance for the underground is. The car park is one side, the bus station is the second side, the third side is the taxi rank and the fourth side is the way to The O2 complex.

Just back from seeing Briteny at The O2, I had a brillant time and just for all of you, heres what I found out

1. All the tickets had an entrance letter printed on them. Starting at the main entrance A, B, C right around to H which is on the far side of the arena, opposite the main entrance.

2. At the main entrance, doors A, B, C there is a fast track entrance for O2 customers.

3. Entrance H is only accessable during concert / event days. On other days this entrance is closed off.

4. The main merchandise stand is at the main entrance to the complex, not in the actual arena. It opens at approx 2pm on concert days. They also have 2 tshirt stands and a few kiosks just selling programmes, so you dont have to spend ages in the queue if you just want a tshirt or programme.

There are also merchandise stands on each level inside the arena but they dont sell the entire range available.

I bought a ladies fitted tshirt which was £25. They had 5 or 6 different designs of tshirts, basball caps, bags, pens etc.

5.When they say doors open at 6.30, they mean it. We went to the entrance at about 6.20 and joined the queue. When the doors opened, our the barcodes on our tickets were scanned and the stub torn off.

We then had to go though a bag search before going up the escalaters to level 4. Our seats were in section 411, row A.

6. There are merchandise, and food and drink outlets and toilets on each level, just like at a football stadium.

7. When we eventually got to our seats the view was brillant. Its a much small arena than I expected and the view is alot better than how it appears on photos.

8. I figured out where levels 2 and 3 are too. Floor seats are in sections A, B, C, Level 1 seats are in the 100 sections, Levels 2 and 3 are the private boxes and Level 4 seats are in the 400 sections.

The private boxes go in a horseshoe shape all around the arena.

The wheelchair area is at the back of the arena, at the back of Level 1 seating.

9. The seats are very compact. Im a little person, (under 5 foot) and it was just about right for me. We were in row A, and I could comfortably seat in the seat and still lean forward and rest my arms on the barrier. Any rugby player build guys I just hope you can manage to get an aisle seat!!

10. After the concert, the arena clears pretty quickly. The majority of people head for the tube. My journey home took the same time as my journey to the arena.

Yeah I think I remember where the taxi rank is now, thanks! Thanks for the info as well, good to know things like that! I dunno whether it said 7:15 because of maintenance works or something...it's on a Friday so it might be. :unsure:

Hi Moonstreet,
I wanted to know if there are any day trips offered to Paris or some other city close to London?? I want to see at least another country while I am over there..

Hi Moonstreet,
I wanted to know if there are any day trips offered to Paris or some other city close to London?? I want to see at least another country while I am over there..

Yes it is very easy to get to Paris from London, there is a direct train from London to Paris called THE EUROSTAR. It can be expensive though, depending on when you are travelling and when you book. The more in advance you book the cheaper it is.

Other options are budget airlines like ryanair and easyjet, which between them cover almost every city in central Europe.

Have a look at sites like LASTMINUTE.COM and EXPEDIA and TRAVELOCITY, as they do low cost packages, travel and accomadation.

Also have a look at THE BRITISH TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE, as Im sure they will have lots more info.

Ok Moonstreet, you need to go in to the tourism industry..lol

Ok are there any reasonably priced hotels in central London, I am searching for hotels now and I don't know where these places are and how far they are from everything.. Some are near the airports but I don't know how far that is from central London or the O2. I want to be near stuff but I don't want to have to sell my kidney while I'm over there to pay for a room.. Hostels are out of the question.. lol

How is the Wembley Plaza hotel...how far is it from everything?

People can travel from London to France by taking the ferry. I think it takes 90 mins and is less expensive than trains. It's worth researching it on the the internet along with the other methods.

Yes it is very easy to get to Paris from London, there is a direct train from London to Paris called THE EUROSTAR. It can be expensive though, depending on when you are travelling and when you book. The more in advance you book the cheaper it is.

Other options are budget airlines like ryanair and easyjet, which between them cover almost every city in central Europe.

Have a look at sites like LASTMINUTE.COM and EXPEDIA and TRAVELOCITY, as they do low cost packages, travel and accomadation.

Also have a look at THE BRITISH TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE, as Im sure they will have lots more info.

so quite possibily me and my daughter may have to go through a seperate enterance to my husband,because we are in 102 and he is in 107.

Don't mean to be the villian in this thread however ive seen a news article that keeps on appearing in many newspapers that if true would effect your journey to the 02 this summer. (I say the summer cuz by next year i think they will have it sorted out).By the sounds of it the Jubliee line, which is the the only route to take when travelling to the 02 will be either out of action or have major dealays during MJ's stay at the 02 Arena. It's more then likley to be the latter. Can't see how they could go as far as shutting the line down like the article states. Nonetheless if that is the case i would travell on either the Northan line or District line to get as near as you can(tower Hill is the closest you can get) and then take a taxi to the arena. As an Estimate i would say the fare would be no more then £10.. It's just somthing to bare in mind when you are travelling. I'll certianly will be leaving double the amount of time it usually takes in order to get there on time. No way am i gonna be late for this haha

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...uts+for+Michael+Jackson's+big+tour/article.do

How is the Wembley Plaza hotel...how far is it from everything?
wembley is north london its not in the centre at all. there is a tube link but i wouldnt stay as far out as somewhere like that. how much do u want to spend. being expensive means different things to different ppl. anything in the centre of london is fine. look at the address of the hotels and it willtell u what area it is in like paddington or victoria then look on the tube map if u dont now where it is it will give u an idea of whether its in th centre of not. but majority of hotels are in the centre

I wouldn't recommend staying as far as Heathrow but there is a train that takes about 15 mins to get to central London. I don't know what times it runs.

Are hotels near the heathrow airport far from central london?? The sheraton?

Heathrow is not in central London. There is a direct tube and a fast train to central London

The Picadillay Line, (Blue) runs direct from Heathrow Airport to Green Park , 45 mins journey, then you need to change to the Jubilee Line to North Greenwich for The O2, 30 mins journey.
Heathrow Airport is in Zone 6

There is also an express train HEATHROW EXPRESS, £32 return , which takes 15 mins to get to Paddington station.
http://www.heathrowexpress.com

From Paddington take the BAKERLOO line (brown) south to Bakerstreet, then change to The Jubilee Line to Greenwich North for The O2

I wouldnt advise staying at a hotel near Heathrow airport, try to get somewhere either in central London, eg Holborn, Russel Square area or in the Docklands.

I found the Jurys Inn in Watford, it says it's about 20mins from central London, but we all know hotels will lie. So I want to know is Watfor super far or a reasonable distance? I know here in Atlanta there are suburbs that are 20mins away from downtown Atlanta driving but may take forever to get downtown Atlanta using the public transportation system..
http://watfordhotels.jurysinns.com/
Jurys Inn
Watford
boolet.gif
boolet.gif
boolet.gif

Jurys Inn Watford Hotel, 31 - 35 Clarendon Road, Watford, Watford, WD17 1JA
Tel: +44 (0)1923 422 800 Fax: +44 (0)1923 422 888
How to find us:
Jurys Inn Watford is located North of London, in the heart of the town centre on Clarendon Road. The hotel is just 20 minutes to Central London, Euston Station where all the citys attractions are within easy reach.

boolet.gif
boolet.gif
boolet.gif

From London

Take M1 northbound at Brent Cross and exit at jnc 5 for Watford.
At slip road roundabout, take 2nd exit onto A4008 (signposted Town Centre). At Waterfields roundabout, take 2nd exit onto A411 towards town centre and onto Watford Gyratory.
Turn left (one-way) towards ring road.
Get into right hand lane and bear right onto Upton Road. Keep right then turn right into Clarendon Road.

boolet.gif
boolet.gif
boolet.gif

From the North

Take M1 southbound and exit at jnc 5 for Watford.
At slip road roundabout take 3rd exit onto A4008 (sign posted town centre). At Waterfields roundabout, take 2nd exit onto A411 towards town centre and onto Watford Gyratory.
Get into right hand lane and bear right onto Upton Road. Keep right turning right into Clarendon Road.

boolet.gif
boolet.gif
boolet.gif

From Heathrow

Join M4 at jnc 4 exiting onto M25 at jnc 4b (approx 1 ½ miles). Continue on M25 (signposted Watford) and exit at jnc 20 to roundabout. Take 1st exit onto A41 (signposted London NW, Watford). At next roundabout take 2nd exit onto A411. Continue along A411 onto Watford Gyratory one-way system (signposted Ring Road). Turn right into Clarendon Road.

boolet.gif
boolet.gif
boolet.gif

From Luton Airport

At roundabout take 2nd exit onto Airport Way and continue to A505 (signposted Other Routes). Continue along A505 to A1081 (signposted St Albans) and at Kidney Wood roundabout take 2nd exit onto M1 spur. At roundabout take 1st exit and join M1. Leave M1 at jnc 5.
At slip road roundabout, take 2nd exit onto A4008 (signposted Town Centre). At Waterfields roundabout, take 2nd exit onto A411 towards town centre and onto Watford Gyratory.
Get into right hand lane and bear right onto Upton Road. Keep right turning right into Clarendon Road.

boolet.gif
boolet.gif
boolet.gif

By Rail

Exit Watford Junction Railway Station. Walking distance to hotel 0.5 miles via Clarendon Road (opposite). Hotel situated at far end on right hand side.

I have a question about the oyster card... I was originally going to get it only for zone 1 and 2 but if I have to go to the O2 then how much would I have to pay since it's in a different zone? Should i just pay separately for that trip and back? also the same for Luton, how much would it be? And how much are the rail tix? I'm guessing the oyster is only for subway, right?

Ok, just googled the Oyster thing and I found this link http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tickets/oyster-payg-on-national-rail.pdf
Am I to understand that I won't be able to use it when i go to the O2 ( or Luton for that matter if I end up choosing the subway option)?

Last edited:
I dont know if anyone has asked the question before.

Im wondering if you can take a taxi to the venue?
Lets assume I take a taxi from central London.. around Oxford Street area to the O2.
How long will it take and how much will it cost me?

Thanks in advance

Hi, moonstreet! Can you tell me If I will be able to record DVD with my photos from memory card anywhere ? As I think 4Mb wouldn't be enough for 4 days in RAW :)

Back