moonstreets anything you need to know about London / The 02 thread

Hi Moonstreet :)

I hope you can help me. I am travelling down from the West Midlands on the day of the concert, and I'll be getting the train from Birmingham Central to London. Is it London Victoria I need to get to? And then, will it be a tube to Greenwich Station from there? :)

Hi Moonstreet :)

I hope you can help me. I am travelling down from the West Midlands on the day of the concert, and I'll be getting the train from Birmingham Central to London. Is it London Victoria I need to get to? And then, will it be a tube to Greenwich Station from there? :)

It depends on what train company you are travelling with, you need to check, cos there are other train stations, like Waterloo or Paddington.

well its not that far from me, I like being over there anyway and theres a new exhibition just opened I want to see. I'll take a notepad and write down as much info I can about the place and post it here for everyone.
I guess you won't get back to me about this then? I've been awaiting your answer for days, posting here... Should I just give up? I don't mind if you didn't go. I have just been awaiting planning to hear from you.

Hope all is well.

Hi moonstreet,
Just wanted to ask if you know how much a taxi would cost from central London til O2. I know it would cost a lot, but do you know more or less?
Thanks in advance!

Ok, so I'm trying to read through all these threads and decide on a hotel, but it is making me more confused :doh: You recommended staying in the West End area, is that Soho?? How far is that from the O2? I don't mind traveling to the O2, because that is only one night of the visit, but I don't know if I want to be in a cab forever either.. How many miles away is it? Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to go to Barns and Noble so I can look everything up. Is there a Hotel you recommend? Thanks again :D

I guess you won't get back to me about this then? I've been awaiting your answer for days, posting here... Should I just give up? I don't mind if you didn't go. I have just been awaiting planning to hear from you.

Hope all is well.

Im sorry, Ive been at work, I havnt had a chance to go to The O2 yet, I havnt forgotten about this though.

No problem, just didn't know what you were up to was all. Thanks! :)

Can anyone recommend a area that is:

close to the attractions
has alot of restaurants
easy to take tube or bus to O2 and attractions
somewhere safe with reasonable prices.

I'm getting more confused the more I look. I don't know the areas, so maybe someone can offer me suggestions?

Thanks!:D

Thank you Moonstreet for all your help-very nice of you!:flowers:

^^ You sound like me!! If you find anything good, Let me know please, and I will do the same! :D

You'll be prosecuted for that if you get caught :) The £5.50 is from the moment you swipe the card to the end of your last journey that day I believe.... £5.50 for on person, not 3, that's like by one get two on the tube for free.

Moon told me a weekly pass costs £28 the other day. I was glad to hear that.

Whoops, didn't know that... I know that in Romania you can do that, get a day card and transfer it to another person once you get through... Guess we won't be doing that...

I had look at them online. Smart Russell Square, is very centrally located, in a tourist area, with good transport links to The O2 and is within walking distance of Londons main shopping street Oxford Street.

No its not possible for more than 1 person to use a single oyster card. Each person must have their own card. If you are staying for 7 days I would advise each person to get a weekly / 7 day travel card for zones 1 and 2 (or whatever zones you need) for zone 1 and 2 it is £25.80. Thats much cheaper than using pay as you go

Oh Ok, that makes sense, when i looked on their website they had different amounts that you can get on it but I didn't see the week card option, will have to check it out again. Thank you so much for all your answers, this can be confusing...

Ok, so I'm trying to read through all these threads and decide on a hotel, but it is making me more confused :doh: You recommended staying in the West End area, is that Soho?? How far is that from the O2? I don't mind traveling to the O2, because that is only one night of the visit, but I don't know if I want to be in a cab forever either.. How many miles away is it? Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to go to Barns and Noble so I can look everything up. Is there a Hotel you recommend? Thanks again :D

I'm staying at Smart Russel Square hostel, Moonstreet talks about it above, we got it bc it's so central and cheap and it won't take that long to get to the O2 - and we're only going there one day anyway... the rest of the time we're gonna sightsee, can't wait!:clapping:

I am in Block 112 Seats 387 & 388 Row Y is it any good?

wow, I have the same seat #s except row x. Jan 9th. Scared me for a second!:doh:
They seem pretty good as far as I can tell, unless they move the stage forward.

I have a question, stupid verizon don't have the SIM card option so it looks like i will need to get a phone card. Now my thing is if i get a phone card from a uk newstand can I make calls to the usa with it. Do they have international phone cards or just cards to make calls in the uk?

I can order an international card off the internet and will if need be.

oh yeah do you know which tube station is better: the vauxhall or the earls court for getting to central london (shopping site seeing) and the o2. Or better yet which area do you think is best in general: earls court or lambeth?

Ok, so I'm trying to read through all these threads and decide on a hotel, but it is making me more confused You recommended staying in the West End area, is that Soho?? How far is that from the O2? I don't mind traveling to the O2, because that is only one night of the visit, but I don't know if I want to be in a cab forever either.. How many miles away is it? Thanks for your help. I think I'm going to go to Barns and Noble so I can look everything up. Is there a Hotel you recommend? Thanks again :D

Anywhere in zone 1 is a good location. This is the main tourist area /centre of London. This part of London has the best transport links to The O2.

The West is the main central toursit area of London. Soho is a part of it. I wouldnt really recomend Soho as an area to stay in. Its a very busy area, with a high percentage of bars /clubs etc. Very good for a night out but not to stay in a hotel there as its also known as the main gay area and many places have red lights......

Can anyone recommend a area that is:

close to the attractions
has alot of restaurants
easy to take tube or bus to O2 and attractions
somewhere safe with reasonable prices.

I'm getting more confused the more I look. I don't know the areas, so maybe someone can offer me suggestions?

Thanks!:D

Thank you Moonstreet for all your help-very nice of you!:flowers:

Areas which are good areas for hotels are Holborn, Bayswater, Victoria, Waterloo, Kings Cross, Paddington. Anywhere near a main train station is good as they are used to tourists. Maybe it might be a good idea to go into a local travel agent, and ask them for advice. That way you can talk to someone who has lots of information and then you can look online and get a better deal!

I have a question, stupid verizon don't have the SIM card option so it looks like i will need to get a phone card. Now my thing is if i get a phone card from a uk newstand can I make calls to the usa with it. Do they have international phone cards or just cards to make calls in the uk?

I can order an international card off the internet and will if need be.

Yes, newsagents and some supermarkets carry a wide range of phone cards for international calls. Usually they are advertised outside the shop. The UK and especially London,is extemely multicultural and as a result services such as phonecards are widely available

oh yeah do you know which tube station is better: the vauxhall or the earls court for getting to central london (shopping site seeing) and the o2. Or better yet which area do you think is best in general: earls court or lambeth?

Vauxhall tube station is only about 10 minutes from Oxford Street, Londons main shopping street. Vauxhall / Lambeth area though is not really a tourist area, even though it has good transport links to central London and the tourist areas. Its not really an area I would recommend to first time tourists to London.

Earls Court area is a much better area for tourists. It also has very good transport links to central London and the main shopping and sight seeing areas

Thanks so much

So no plaza on the river? :( it's gorgeous but i guess i'll go with something central or west of london.:scratch:
oh and i turns out verizon isn't stupid after all I have other options and won't need a phone card. :D

Hi moonstreet!
I have a question lol. If I stay at the Royal Lancaster hotel and have to get a cab back to there from the O2 after the after show, do you have any idea how far it is or how much it might cost?

I had a look at that on the map. Im not sure about taxi prices as I dont use taxis in London. If you are leaving The O2 complex straight after the concert, you best option would be to get the tube back there. From The 02, take the Jubilee Line to Bond Street, then change onto the Central Line and its only 2 stops to your hotel. After the concerts Im sure the queues for taxis will be huge and you might have a long wait

I had a look at that on the map. Im not sure about taxi prices as I dont use taxis in London. If you are leaving The O2 complex straight after the concert, you best option would be to get the tube back there. From The 02, take the Jubilee Line to Bond Street, then change onto the Central Line and its only 2 stops to your hotel. After the concerts Im sure the queues for taxis will be huge and you might have a long wait

Hey, if I stay for the aftershow though chances are the tube will be shut won't it? :bugeyed

I'm wondering if it would be possible to go to the concerts without booking an hotel room, i mean i live in France and im going to the July 22th and July 30th concert do you think ill find a eurostar to come back in France after each show?

yes the tube runs under the river, but like I said before, the majority of people us the tube to get to and from The O2

Taxis in London are are safe as in any major city. There are 2 types, licencienced official London black cabs and unofficail mini cabs.

Any one travelling to London, PLEASE ONLY USE OFFICAL LONDON BLACK CABS, there is a huge problem in London with unofficail unlicienced mini cabs and the police warn everyone not to use them

Michael usually stays in central London but as we have just found out, he is doing 10 concerts in 20 days so it is possible he might not stay in central London, who knows, we just have to see what happens

Im not sure about how much a taxi from The O2 would cost, I can ask some friends and get back to you.

Yes you can book taxis in advance
http://www.londonblackcabs.co.uk/ this is the site of the official London taxis

Hey, great thread! Don't mean to rain on ur thread or anything, and your information isn't exactly wrong BUT i think the point about cabs in london could be elaborated on a bit.

Like moon said, the LEGAL taxis in london are safe. However, there are infact THREE types of cabs. Licienced Black cabs, Liciensed mini cabs, and ILLEGAL UNLICIENSED MINI CABS!

My opionion on what to use differs from moonstreets, and I would not recommend ONLY black cabs. Black cabs can be very expensive, and it is often cheaper to get a mini cab. Black cabs are the ONLY cabs that you can hail down on the side of the street, any mini cab driver doing this is breaking the law and therefore should be avoided.

Licienced minicabs, you can order in advance from a local mini cab office (there are loads, and any hotel you stay in will have a mini cab number available for you). These cabs are cheaper than black cabs, and also good for arranging pick up at a certain time in advanced. All official licienced mini cabs will show the Transport for london logo on their windscreen and a driver ID. You can use a service like cabwise to find licienced services..

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/taxisandminicabs/taxis/default.aspx

Unlicienced mini cabs, are chancers who drive around with no licience picking up people from the side of the road to earn themselves a bit of extra money or for something more sinister. I know its tempting when you might have been waiting around a while for your cab, but NEVER hail down a non- black taxi!

Finally a tip which I like to use as a young female occasionally travelling in london on her own:

When you order a cab from a minicab service, you will be asked a name for pick up(say katie, thats me! :)). When the car that you think is your cab arrives, don't go up to the window and say "cab for katie?!", always ask who the cabs for! Cos if its an illegal cab looking for business they won't know! Only a cab from the Licienced office will know who the cabs for! Hope that makes sense!

I hope that was slightly helpful :)

hi Katzr2000, no problem, all info welcome, thanks for the tips about minicabs, I have never used them, only ever use black cabs

.............UPDATE O2 INFOMATION............

sorry this has taken me soo long, thought Id get over to The O2 before now.

Today I spent the afternoon at The O2.

The first thing I found out is for Michaelholic, yes American Express will be accepted at the merchandise stand and in the retail and food outlets in both the main complex and in the arena itself. I asked at the AEG reception, so if you have any problems then say you were told by AEG. Also there are cash machines in both the main complex and inside the arena, so if you do have problems you can take money out.

Next I had a good wander around. There are at least 3, probally more entrances to the main arena. When we get out tickets , it will say which entrance we have to use. The entrances are maked A B C etc. A B C are at the main entrance, where the press conference was, all the other entrances are acessed though the main complex. You just have to walk down the "main street" until you find the correct entrance. They are all clearly marked and very easy to find. Dont worry, there is absolutly no way you can get lost!

There main merchandise stand is outside the arena, just beside the main entrance so anyone who goes to the main complex but is not going to the concerts can still buy merchandise.

There are 2 exhibition halls in the main O2 complex. You have to pay to see these exhibitions and they have a separate entrance.

BODY WORLDS is an exhibition about the human body, showing over 200 specimens transformed though Plastination, to show the form beauty function and potential of the human body. This is a tempory ehibition, open until the end of August. It costs £12 for adults Monday to Thursadya, £ 14 weekends and bank holidays.
http://www.visitlondon.com/bodyworlds/

BRITISH MUSIC EXPERIENCE is the second exhibition. This is a permanant exhibition dedicated to the history of popular music in Britain. Using state of the art interactive and iconic memorabelia you can explore how rock, pop, dance and other genres were formed and have influenced the last sixty years of British society and culture. This costs £15 for adults http://www.britishmusicexperience.com/

There is also a cinema at The O2 http://www.myvue.com/cinemas/index.asp?SessionID=ED86614560684241BECBE849C5932935&ci=71

I also explored the area outside the main complex. The Thames Clipper is located about 5 mins walk from the main entrance /exit of The O2 complex. There ticket office was closed when I was there but I had a look at the information posted up. As well as the normal services, there is an extra service on event nights. The landing pier is on O2 property so it is is not in some dodgy backstreet area and the piers where the boat goes to are in ok areas too, Waterloo is a main train station.

Buses, tubes and taxis are all located in one area, at the main entrance to the complex.

I have posted the first and last tube times earlier in this thread.

The taxi rank is fairly large. I enquired about the approximate cost of a journey to central London, Oxford Circus, and was told, depending on the trafiic, the jounney would cost somewhere between £40 to £45. This is just an approxmiate price, as all the taxis are on a meter, and the longer the journey time the more you pay.

There is also a 24 hour bus service from The O2 to central London, bus route 188, from stop C
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/northgreenwich-2191.pdf
the route is
North Greenwich
Millinium Way
East Greenwich
Maze Hill
Greenwich
Depford (Eveyln Street)
Surrey Quays
Surrey Quays Shopping Centre
Canada Water
Bermondsey
Jamacia Road
Tower Bridge Road (Druid Street)
Bermondsey Square
Bricklayers Arms
Elephant and Castle
Waterloo
Waterloo Bridge
Aldwich ( St Mary Le Strand Church)
Aldwich (for Covent Garden)
Holborn
Russel Square

There is also a new bus service from The O2 http://www.londongeneral.co.uk/about-us/page_250.html

This leaves from stop D at 23.03 and goes to Waterloo, Charing Cross and Victoria area. It cost £5 flat fare, payable either online or to the driver. This is only on event nights.

Could you please tell me how much should I pay for the football match ticket? :D I am a big fan of football and just dreaming to visit Wembley stadium :) Would like to see English premier league. Will be any games in first two weeks of September? :)

hi....just wondering........is a hotel in paddington ok for getting to and from the 02 and for getting to and from stanstead? i stayed in paddington when i saw MJ on the history tour but got the tube to wembley........................never been where the 02 is. thanks

I have a question about tips - do you always have to tip when you go to a restaurant? How much is it usually? Here in the States it's 20%, less if you didn't like the service...
And is the service tax the same thing as tip? Like if they add it automatically on the bill then you don't have to give tip over that?
Thank you!!!

Could you please tell me how much should I pay for the football match ticket? :D I am a big fan of football and just dreaming to visit Wembley stadium :) Would like to see English premier league. Will be any games in first two weeks of September? :)

I got some info about going to football games from a friend and I will send it to you in pm, as its quiet detailed and might not be of interest to many people here

hi....just wondering........is a hotel in paddington ok for getting to and from the 02 and for getting to and from stanstead? i stayed in paddington when i saw MJ on the history tour but got the tube to wembley........................never been where the 02 is. thanks

Paddington area is fine for getting to The O2, you need to go 2 stops to Bakerstreet on the Bakerloo Line, then change onto the Jubilee Line to North Greenwich, for The O2.

To go to Stansted from Paddington, take the Circle Line to Liverpool Street, then the Stansted Express Train to the airport.

I have a question about tips - do you always have to tip when you go to a restaurant? How much is it usually? Here in the States it's 20%, less if you didn't like the service...
And is the service tax the same thing as tip? Like if they add it automatically on the bill then you don't have to give tip over that?
Thank you!!!

Tipping in the Uk is not the same as in America. In restaurants, people do tip leave a tip but only if you feel its been earned. I usually give around 10% but only if the waiter has been good, nothing wrong with the order etc. The thing to watch in restaurants is service charge. This is sometimes just added to the bill and you are within your rights not pay it. Most of the time the waiting staff dont get this money, it goes straight to the company. If you see it has been added to your bill, ask the waiting staff if they get this money. If they dont and you want to leave a tip, ask for it to be removed from the bill and give the money in cash to the waiting staff. Another thing about the tipping system in the Uk is the difference of paying by cash and paying by credit card. If you are paying by credit card and want to leave a tip, dont do it though your credit card. Just pay the bill by card and give the waiting staff the tip in cash. Many places dont give the waiting staff any tips put though the credit cards.

Unlike America, its only in restaurants that most people tip. When you get a taxi in London for example, a tip is not expected but if you feel that your driver has earned a tip, like giving you tourist info etc then a tip would be nice, again around 10%.

stupid question but have not been to London for a while...where is the best Marks and Spencer in town? .cant wait to lock myself up in M+S for 3 hours :)

Back